[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What other animals besides horses can be broke to ride?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 25
File: moose.jpg (85 KB, 481x396) Image search: [Google]
moose.jpg
85 KB, 481x396
What other animals besides horses can be broke to ride?
>>
camels and elephants obviously
>>
>>2084387
Ostriches and occasionally cows.
>>
File: giraffe.gif (2 MB, 228x260) Image search: [Google]
giraffe.gif
2 MB, 228x260
Elephants, cattle, camels.
You can pretty much ride anything, doesn't mean you should though. You want an animal that is less likely to flip it's shit(and even horses are prone to this) when it's startled and can keep in control if it does. There are people who ride reindeer/caribou but you have to be pretty small and sit higher by their shoulders due to their weak backs. Even the guy in your pic looks like he should be sitting more by the shoulders. Llamas can also be ridden but the weight limit for a person is about 115lbs. So aside from the risks of getting bucked off and trampled, you'd also have to factor in whether or not the animal can handle the extra weight without you eventually crippling it over the years.
>>
File: doge.jpg (396 KB, 1908x1072) Image search: [Google]
doge.jpg
396 KB, 1908x1072
>>2084404
I take it shit like >pic related is probably a really bad idea then.

I have neighbors who let their kids do this shit to their st bernard and dane (yes, even using saddle/reins). They think it's the funniest/cutest thing ever but I cringe every time I see it. And they do it often. Is there anything I can do about it?
>>
>>2084424
That looks really bad for the dogs back
>>
>>2084424
That's a terrible idea. Going to fuck up the poor dog's back and hips. And, no, there's nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>2084428
It wouldn't be considered animal cruelty? I'm hesitant to start a war with my neighbors but this is something that really bothers me.
>>
>>2084424
Very bad because dogs are heavily prone to back and hip issues, especially large breed dogs. I don't think doing that with a kid that size just for a photo will do any real harm, though. But even then dogs that carry packs(like hikers who put backpacks on their dogs) are trained to do so by gradually increasing the weight so they have the strength to do it. It rarely goes over 20-30lbs though, since they mostly just carry light supplies but my point is that you shouldn't just suddenly throw any amount of weight on an animal.

You cannot do anything about it though, anon. Sorry. You could try and talk to them about the risks but most people don't want to be lectured on how to raise their kids or animals. With having saddles and reins, it looks like they're really into it so it's even less likely. Yes, it will hurt them in the long run(especially that dane..) but no one you could call will take it seriously, nor will they be able to do anything.
>>
Horses aren't "designed" to be ridden either, but people do it. You see more elderly horses (if they're lucky enough to make it to old age in the first place) with back and hip issues than without. Doesn't help that morons in this country seem to think there's no weight limit when it comes to horseback riding either. Every time I see some fat fuck on a horse I want to stab them repeatedly.
>>
File: MuskOx.jpg (96 KB, 1050x706) Image search: [Google]
MuskOx.jpg
96 KB, 1050x706
you can ride any animal, unless you're a little bitch
>>
>>2084387
That saddle is sitting too far back. There should be a chest strap to keep it closer to the withers. Even on horses, you don't sit in the middle of the back because it puts enormous strain on them.
>>
File: 1372234111864.jpg (39 KB, 319x393) Image search: [Google]
1372234111864.jpg
39 KB, 319x393
>>2084453
Or just a different saddle altogether maybe. I don't know.
>>
>>2084457
>>
>>2084457
is that an elk? Doesn't look like a moose.
>>
>>2084453
Nah, the saddle position is just fine for a Photoshopped moose. He'll be awright.
>>
>>2084460
Yep, elk. Moose don't carry their necks all upside-down like that.
>>
>>2084458
Now this one is legit. The real photos of actual moose being ridden or wearing a harness are all going to be of yearlings. An orphaned moose raised by humans is very tame, but after their first rut they become unmanageable.
>>
>>2084465
What if they're castrated? Does it make a difference like with stallions vs geldings?
>>
File: clayandrenn.jpg (46 KB, 550x400) Image search: [Google]
clayandrenn.jpg
46 KB, 550x400
If you want to see a neat alternative to riding a horse, search for longhorn cow ridden. There's a few places that trains Longhorn cattle to ride and drive. Pretty impressive animals.
>>
>>2084466
That's a good question. Never heard of anyone castrating a moose. The whole don't-fuck-with-wild-animal laws being what they are, it would have to be a domestically-bred-and-raised moose for it to be legal. I don't think anyone does that. So, if someone did castrate a moose, they'd have to do it on the down-low and no go shooting their mouth off about it.
>>
>>2084470
>I don't think anyone does that
I wonder why not. I mean hell, you can legally buy zebra and buffalo that are trained to ride, why not a moose?
>>
>>2084467
Those look dangerous. Like, I can ride a pissed off bucking horse. One of those things starts bucking and throws me off just right and I end up skewered. I would be a bit hesitant.
>>
File: blazing-saddles-mongo.png (260 KB, 400x286) Image search: [Google]
blazing-saddles-mongo.png
260 KB, 400x286
Mongo only pawn in game of life.
>>
>>2084486

4/10
>>
File: burro_bhrama.jpg (164 KB, 1095x821) Image search: [Google]
burro_bhrama.jpg
164 KB, 1095x821
>>2084477
Getting bucked off a horse is not any less serious, honestly. My buddy got bucked off and ended up with a fractured skull(his eye socket was completely smashed) from catching a hoof to the face and breaking his arm on the ground. He is no newbie to horses.

Longhorns are pretty docile and it's actually shorter horns that are more dangerous. You can grab these and avoid them, and they don't have very good precision when using them because of the width.

Now brahman is where it's at. From a good stock, they're wonderful and very intelligent.
>>
>>2084486
Riding things is fun, Anon. You should give it a try, maybe you'll see why people enjoy it.
>>
>>2084497
But riding living slaves is so much more fun, Anon. Don't be such a pansy. You just don't get the same satisfaction cracking a whip on or digging your spurs into the side of a motorcycle as you do a horse or bull.
>>
>>2084502
This, really. If your animal isn't dripping with sweat and blood like a broken tap after the ride you didn't ride it hard enough.
>>
>>2084502
>>2084510
What the fuck, guys
>>
>>2084513
Don't mind us, just scaring off one of the resident PETAfags.
>>
File: 102359da3a072dab13c766acff1bf99a.jpg (325 KB, 1600x1175) Image search: [Google]
102359da3a072dab13c766acff1bf99a.jpg
325 KB, 1600x1175
>>2084513

Some people come into /an/ thinking it's /PETA/ and start spouting their retarded opinions, and have to be put in their place by pictures of delicious steaks and whatnot.
>>
the domestication of livestock for draught and transport spawned an incredible step in human evolution and development
though the evolution step was mostly in adaptations to agricultural foods and resistance to devastating zoonotic diseases
>>
>>2084515
>>2084519
>tfw PETA fags don't realize that PETA causes more suffering to animals than any of the groups/things they protest about so much
>>
>>2084472

In modern day, the biggest issue would probably be that they're incredibly expensive to keep. They get sick without a wide variety of food, and don't take well to penning. The most cost-efficient way moose farms have figured right now is to keep them free-range, which means farms are also restricted to only proper habitats and lost animals are common.

Add that to the animals being head strong, and strong enough to kill in general, and you have an animal who'd be more hassle to train than the price they'd fetch from a hypothetical customer.
>>
>>2084521

That's one of the reasons why their opinions are retarded.
>>
>>2084522

It also helps that moose are very strong, but not in the same sort of configuration that makes horses ideal to ride. They don't work well in teams (so are far less ideal for hitches than a good pair of draft horses), or as food animals (they're too smart to keep coming back to a place they're being slaughtered, and the milk they produce doesn't cover the costs to get it). You end up with even the most eager attempts to domesticate quickly dissolving into 'why bother?'.
>>
>>2084525
If I were a rich fuck the mere fact that it's so challenging would make me want to do it.
>>
>>2084387
Your mom.
>>
File: image.jpg (270 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
270 KB, 1920x1080
>>2084387
Dolphins ride whales occasionally.
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 466x260) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 466x260
>>2084597
Maori sometimes ride whales too.
>>
>>2084424
If anything, you would want the kid as close to the shoulder as possible, preferably actually riding on the shoulder so long as the child's legs don't hurt the dog's neck.
>>
>>2084602
Or how about, hey, you know, not riding dogs to begin with. I'd bust my kid's ass for this.
>>
>>2084622
I did this all the time as a kid and it never hurt any of my dogs. Then again they were 200+ lb mastiffs and I've always been skinny as a rail and am a manlet so...
>>
I've heard that a good ratio to go off of it a quarter of the mounted animals weight. I doubt that would apply to dogs, but for the longest time I wanted a male llama because if it was large enough I could ride it. But I have always wanted to make a saddle for my Dobie so my tiny dog could ride her, just for shits and giggles.
>>
>>2084650
I don't know, anon. Dogs are so much better at hauling weight than carrying it on their backs. Carting's where it's at for dogs. A dog in decent condition can pull up to three times his own bodyweight, under the right conditions, without too much strain.
>>
>>2084663
I've gone dog-carting before. People look at you like you're torturing it to death.
>>
>>2084663
That's what I thought, which is why I'd said that imdb doubted it applied to dogs. My Dobie flutters around 70 pounds and the tiny one is just a chihuahua and he's about about 5, maybe 6. If he was anything over 10 I wouldn't even consider it.
>>
>>2084671
I don't know why it corrected "I" to "imdb"

>>2084674
That's dumb though. Have none of those people ever played tug of war with a large dog? Mine would drag me around my apartment floor for probably an hour or more if I'd let her, and that's with whatever resistance the carpet had.
>>
>>2084671
That must be an America or something, because if I hitch my dog up here to an old tire and have him drag it a mile up the beach and back for exercise, people comment about what a great idea it is. Dog won't pull if it doesn't want to.
>>
>>2084695
>mfw there's this guy who takes his bull terrier for a run by getting it to pull him up a hill while he stands on a skateboard

that dog looks so fucking happy, it's hauling ass too.
>>
>>2084424
Poor dog. It is tolerating this shit but hates it.
>>
>>2084424
Also just noticed the kid is wearing spurs. While riding a fucking dog. What the actual fuck? Does he use them? That's fucked up.
>>
Farm kids will often ride sheep or pigs too just for the hell of it.
>>
File: teddy on a moose.jpg (29 KB, 600x468) Image search: [Google]
teddy on a moose.jpg
29 KB, 600x468
I love the pic of Theodore Roosevelt riding the moose.
>>
>>2084745
Oh my god, do you actually believe that kid just rides his dog around all day, and that wasn't just a pose for a cute photo? Come on man, you have common sense. Use it once in a while.
>>
>>2084387
Your mom's broke so she gets ridden alot to pay the bills
>>
>>2084722
yea, pulling things/people is a great idea to do with your large dog, especially if they have a high energy level.
>>
>>2084794
Is this real? Context?
>>
>>2085776
Theodore Roosevelt riding the moose
>>
>>2084387
I'm wondering if that man has ear protection for his moose. People shooting guns around animals they aren't hunting infuriates me.
>>
>>2085776
Read his bio. The guy defies context.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ4T9CQA0UM
>>
>>2084794
>>2085776
>>2085785
>>2085927
He was a badass but no, that picture isn't real. It doesn't even look real, guys.
http://blogs.harvard.edu/houghton/2013/09/20/myths-debunked-sadly-theodore-roosevelt-never-rode-a-moose/
>>
File: 1232793211650.jpg (150 KB, 734x992) Image search: [Google]
1232793211650.jpg
150 KB, 734x992
Sandworms.
>>
>>2086018
damn right.
>>
>>2084387
according to your pic. meese apparently.
btw is that pic real. Domesticating meese would be pretty cool.
>>
>>2086018
Dune
>>
>>2084488
my grandpa used to 'ride' his brahman bull

as in, there was no control involved and it didn't really move. it was just such a docile creature that loved human contact and he didn't mind a person on his back.
>>
Since an ostrich would support the rider directly over Its legs, would one be able to carry a greater load for its size?
>>
>>2084432
We don't need more people with hurt fee fees being dumb. Go fuck urself.
>>
>>2084424
>>2084432
can't you just politely explain to your neighbours that you are afraid it might be bad for the dogs health?
>>
>>2086514
They don't react well to criticism.
>>
>>2086940
leave little passive aggressive notes.
>>
File: Muskox-Rocky-Snow.jpg (393 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Muskox-Rocky-Snow.jpg
393 KB, 1600x1200
Pic related is my mount of choice for riding into battle
>>
>>2087880
Do people actually ride those?
>>
What's the appeal of riding animals anyway? I don't understand how it's enjoyable in any way. I mean I rode a pony once when I was five, but I didn't like it at all. It was smelly and boring.

Why do you like it? Genuinely curious.
>>
File: mountain-goat.jpg (38 KB, 625x450) Image search: [Google]
mountain-goat.jpg
38 KB, 625x450
They're generally not big enough but I'm small and mountain goats look buff as all hell. I'm sure they're total assholes and would be no good as mounts though.
>>
>>2088740
>They're generally not big enough
I've seen large adult men ride rams before, I'm sure a mountain goat could take it.
>>
>>2088737
Because it's the only way anyone who browses 4chan will ever feel another warm living creature rhythmically undulating back and forth between their legs.
>>
>>2084793
I was going to say pigs, me and my sister used to ride ours as kids. Pigs are smart and can be broken in real easy, stamina, top speed and ground clearance are lacking.
>>
>>2084477

We used to have a longhorn bull. I don't know if it's the norm, but he was really laid back and friendly. You had to watch out though because he would toss his head to shoo flies away and the horns could hit you.
>>
>>2088737
Okay, bear with me here. This video has people sticking bulls, which I do NOT condone, but just watch what this horse can do. I know it probably doesn't mean much for a non-rider to watch, and you might have to just take my word for it when I say that this is truly ballet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz8BiTtoLp8
>>
>>2088897
Oh, and mute your speakers.
>>
>>2084404
>So aside from the risks of getting bucked off and trampled

By a llama?
>>
>>2084387
why is that animals balls hanging from its head lol
>>
>>2088897
Is that a specific breed of horse, or is it just really well trained? I agree, hate the vid, but that horse is amazing, holy shit. The last time I ever got to see a horse do anything near those moves was during fourth of july when our town gets all the rodeo stuff geared up, and an indian girl came out with her pony and did some tricks in the ring. It was awesome.
>>
>>2084449
or its back breaks
>>
>>2085900
/k/ here, he's got a huge suppressor on his gun, should be fine.
>>
File: 1452521160692.gif (2 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
1452521160692.gif
2 MB, 300x200
>>2084519
>>2084513
>>2084510
heart this place
>>
>>2088878

Unless you buy from a breeder that's aiming for wildness (which is pretty stupid with an animal that can already be extremely dangerous but whatever), as a whole they're known for being very smart and chill.

>>2088985

He's a Lusitano, though Andalusians are also quite common. It's more a matter of training and athleticism than breed, though, so any strong and smart horse would be fine. For example, here's an Arabian being used in a bloodless version of the 'sport'.
>>
>>2088985
That amount of agility requires a level of athleticism that not just any horse can achieve. Their conformation needs to be of a certain type that makes it possible to be that agile. In order to change directions in a split-second, they need to be very collected at all times. Yes, collection is taught, but a horse with a shorter back will be able to keep his legs under his center of mass much more easily than some long-backed nag. The baroque breeds like the Lusitano and Andalusian have shorter backs and Arabians are so short-backed that they even have one less rib than other breeds.
>>
>>2088985
it's also part instinct. The horse knows the bull is going to fucking gut him if he doesn't move out of the way, so I don't know how much of the 'ballet' is the horse itself, or the rider controlling the horse. But like >>2089896 and >>2090269 said, the horse benefits greatly from a certain body comformation and training to be limber enough to move so smoothly.
>>
File: AbbyMarna_2007-06-25.jpg (88 KB, 471x400) Image search: [Google]
AbbyMarna_2007-06-25.jpg
88 KB, 471x400
>>2084387

>No one has said donkey.

You can also ride dromedary, zebras, mules, yaks, water buffalo. I know southern USA has youth rodeos where they ride sheep and rams.

The bear guy rode a grizzly bear.
>>
I rode a tiger at some shitty zoo when I was a kid.
>>
I'm an adult man and I sometimes ride my dog like a horse when we play. He's strong as an ox and I'm a manlet though. I've asked the vet about it and he said riding him like that for a few minutes when we play a few times a week isn't going to hurt him at all, so I still do it. He's never acted like he was in any pain or discomfort, it's just another game to him. Of course I'd stop immediately if he acted like he was in pain or if the vet said it was hurting him, but neither has ever happened.
>>
>>2091244
What kind of dog? How old? How much does it weigh? How much do you weigh? Probably not a great thing for the dog in the long run but if it's just a few minutes a couple times a week and the vet says it's fine I don't see a problem with it.
>>
>>2084424
That's a picture of a kid that's having an awesome fucking childhood. I'm jealous, I never got to do fun shit like this growing up. Stop being so uptight. It's not your dog(s) so why should you care anyway? If they're feeding them, keeping up with vet care, and not beating them, you really have no reason to be pissy. Even if they don't like having a kid ride them every now and then they still have it a lot better than 99% of the rest of the animals in the world. Go be bleeding vaginas somewhere else.
>>
>>2091068
>No one has said donkey.
I think equines are pretty obvious. Horses, donkeys, mules, even zebra, aren't all that surprising. I think OP was asking about more "exotic" species, or at least ones you might not normally think could even be ridden.
>>
>>2091331
The kid might be having a good time, but the parents who put him on the dog probably aren't aware that doing this often will lead to bad long-term back and hip problems for the dog.

It's not about the dog maybe being annoyed by it, but that's it's directly harmful to the animal.

Not the anon you were replying to, but it bothers me personally because it's a display of pure ignorance and owners hurting their pets without even knowing it.
>>
>>2091345
So what? People do far worse ignorant harmful things to their pets without anybody batting an eyelash, but God forbid a kid have fun with the family pet that's leading an otherwise cushy life.
>>
Why are horses ride able? Centuries of domestication?
>>
>>2084663
>>2084671
>People look at you like you're torturing it to death.
A lot of dog breeds were bred for pulling carts or sleighs. I remember reading about Rottweilers and was surprised to find out their original purpose was pulling butcher carts and herding .
>>
>>2091354

Partially. Horses have been bred to have very strong legs and backs while, by and large, having extremely biddable dispositions. While other domesticated species can be used to ride or pull, none have the combined versatility, athleticism, and obedience of a horse.

Basically, between natural and selective breeding, they're nearly perfect as beasts of burden.
>>
>>2091068
isn't that a mule? I always thought donkeys were much smaller than that, or she's super tiny.

>>2091333
>riding a zebra
>not surprising
I don't know man, I was always told they were next to impossible to train, and only one had ever been successfully taught to be ridden, but that was a few years back, and I can't remember the source (thinkin' wikipedia). regardless though, it's a bad idea as their spines are way weak for an equine.

>>2091425
>nearly perfect as beasts of burden
we've actually kinda gone backwards on their evolution as far as hearty pack animals. We've been selectively breeding them to be faster, which in turn makes them more apt to break themselves in most stressed situations. That's why the wild mustangs are kinda getting attention again, as they've been outside of breeding long enough that they maintained a healthier physique.
>>
>>2088740
It'd be a cool mount right until it deiced to run down a fucking cliff
>>
>>2091874
>only one had ever been successfully taught to be ridden

They must have used that one for the Swiss Family Robinson movie, then.

(1:20)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oQubn2fyLk
>>
File: zebra-ride3.jpg (177 KB, 668x801) Image search: [Google]
zebra-ride3.jpg
177 KB, 668x801
>>2092085

I don't know where they got that information. In the late 1800's/early 1900's Europeans were huge on training zebra (in part because it was an easy way to brag about how much free time you could afford). There are tons of pictures of them being ridden, even jumped, though I have to say my favorites are of Lord Rothschild's carriage team.
>>
>>2084387
your father
>>
>>2091874
>Only one had ever been successfully taught to be ridden

Uuuh...anon...I think you're wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIO7q5MOxBY
>>
File: Whale rider - 3.jpg (70 KB, 800x598) Image search: [Google]
Whale rider - 3.jpg
70 KB, 800x598
>>2084387
>sticking to only land mammals

Pretty damn sure you can ride whales, orcas, manatees, dolphins hell even the ocasional seal could be ridden.

Of course if you fuck up it means instant death, but dolphins shouldn't be too deadly unless they haul you to their secret underwater rape caves.
>>
>>2084597
So do seals
>>
>>2088897
Fucking meme song
>>
>>2091874
That's a donkey. The very small ones you're thinking of are burros. Mules are a horse/donkey hybrid.
>>
>>2084597
Dolphins are top tier trolls. Maybe the best in the animal kingdom.
>>
>>2084424

Thats far to heavy, I would only subject my dog to 25% of its body weight, alot of people would say a third.
>>
Nobody said ostrich? I would like to ride an ostrich
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.