[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do I really need to take my dogs to the VET to get checked for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 8351.jpg (355 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
8351.jpg
355 KB, 1600x1600
Do I really need to take my dogs to the VET to get checked for heart-worm if I want to start giving them heart worming treatment again? Is this legit or it just another way for vets to pull you at a vet so they can make $$ off you.

I am asking this because I've had only extremely negative experiences at vets trying to sell me unnecessary shit and I'd like to avoid that. For example the last veterinary clinics I've been to was always trying to sell me products and marketing shit to me. It made me feel like I can't trust vets and I don't want to put my dogs through unnecessary stresses just because some dickhead wants to make some shekels.
>>
Also, I live in Australia ( melbourne) if that makes any difference.

My dogs have been on Roundworm/Hookworm treatment, but not Heartworms.
>>
>>2083413
Heartworm testing is a must, the actual treatment is expensive and uncomfortable for the dog. You know what you want from your vet, feel confident in saying, "Thanks, but no thanks."
>>
I've only ever given my dogs heartworm treatment once every now and then. Are you saying this is bad? Wtf. It's like $60 for a 3 month usage of advocate and I have 2 dogs so I spread the usage out. Not sure if fear mongering to make money?
>>
>>2083432
Heartworm preventative is extremely important. If your dog gets heartworm the treatment is expensive and not fun. It involves multiple injections, steroids, antibiotics, and months of exercise restriction. It's really hard on the dog.

Please get all of your dogs tested and start giving them preventative monthly.
>>
>>2083432
it doesn't work right if you do it that way

>It's like $60 for a 3 month usage
>tfw my dog is on trifexus
>implying this is a lot

it comes with caring for a dog
>>
Yes, you do need to get your dog tested before giving them prevention. If they already have the worms the prevention could hurt your dog or even kill them. That's why yearly checkups are so important if you live in an area with carrier mosquitoes
>>
>>2083411
If you missed 2-3 months of heart worm prevention, start the treatment back up but you MUST get the dog tested in 6 months. After that point, any possible worms could be full grown and giving preventative could kill the worms, clogging your dogs arteries and killing the dog. Treatment for heartworm infection is much more expensive than prevention and much more dangerous. If you have a hard time remembering to give prevention, ask your vet about proheart injections. It's good for 6 months and where I live is the cheapest option. Your current prevention sounds cheap though, so maybe you shouldnt own so many dogs if you think its too expensive to properly care for them.
>>
If you live in australia your dogs need heartworm protection 12 months a year.

If you cannot provide for your dogs then have less dogs. Heartworm tests are federally mandated in the united states now and it is probably the same in aus. Federal mandate reduces the prevalence of the disease for the whole nation and is a good thing.
>>
OP here

I just called a vet in my area and She said she doesnt recommend I get the heartworm test done because the chances of heartworm are so minicsule where we live in our part of Australia and they've never had a case at their clinic. But she said if I REALLY want it I can get it done, but again she does not recommend because she thinks I'll be throwing away money for nothing out of irrational fear.

I need new vet anyway so I'll be taking them there for a overall health consultation, I've heard only good things about this vet online, from what I've read so far it's one of the only vets in the city here they don't try and sell you shit you don't need. I need a vet I can trust and I lost that trust in my last vet after they had new management take over and suddenly the vets turned into marketers and salesmen.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.