[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is my lovebird so nippy? he's around 2 months old and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: lovebird_baby1.jpg (11 KB, 300x294) Image search: [Google]
lovebird_baby1.jpg
11 KB, 300x294
why is my lovebird so nippy? he's around 2 months old and he started being nippy around a week ago, he nibbles my fingers and ears HARD. is this a phase and if not how do i make him stop?
>>
>>2083307
he just started learning he can use his beak. do correct this behavior tho or it will get worse. tap him on the beak and yell NO everytime he does it it may seem harse but it helps.
>>
>>2083328
and reward him for not doing it at the right moments
>>
>>2083328
>>2083329
thanks ill try. i thought yelling would just make it worse but i will try
>>
>>2083344

yeah just a short scare for him. monitor his behavior tho you dont want him to hate you
>>
I heard that tapping/hitting the beak in punishment is a bad idea, but i haven't looked into it so I'm not sure. Maybe you can yelp to indicate pain, like you might do with a puppy
>>
>>2083329
you can't offer reward for the absence of behavior, conditioning doesn't work like that.
>>
>>2083532
depends what you're imagining a 'tap' being
it shouldn't hurt the animal if you're being gentle about it, just boop the snoot
>>
Tap the snoot, say no, and then give him something for him to distract.

If that doesn't work put him back at his home and ignore him for like 10 minutes, to teach him that behavior will not be tolerated.
>>
i got my green cheek to stop nipping by telling her "no" and "be nice" and gently putting my finger on her beak, you don't even need to tap it just place your finger on their beak and say "no"

don't yell, yelling at birds doesn't do anything positive... just say it firmly and in a normal tone and they get it...

with birds making a big deal out of positive behaviour and being firm without making a big deal out of negative behaviour seems to work best... but nippiness is normal at that age, they're learning about their beaks, for my green cheek it took a couple of weeks and then she was over it...
>>
>>2084634

+ this >>2084555

if saying no and distracting doesn't work put them in their cage and ignore them for a couple minutes... if they act out and try to get your attention wait until they're calm before you take them out
>>
>>2083307
he's telling you to get him a fucking m8
>>
>>2084670
hes 2 months old you stupid idiot
>>
>>2084990
So what 2 month olds can't want a good screw?
>>
>>2084991
no. he's still a youngling you fucking pedo.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.