[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/dog/ - Dog General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56
File: 01-Kundel_mixed_breed_dog.jpg (343 KB, 1600x1206) Image search: [Google]
01-Kundel_mixed_breed_dog.jpg
343 KB, 1600x1206
Ask dog questions that don't deserve their own threads here.

Dog Kibble and Wet food ingredients/nutrition guide:
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

Dog breeds:
http://www.justdogbreeds.com/all-dog-breeds.html

Previous thread:
>>2073833
>>
any of you have experience with getting a dog from a reputable breeder? i've started looking into getting a corgi and it's getting overwhelming to even think about. as a broke college student i thought i'd put it off until i graduated but to even be put on the waiting list i feel like i need to have a house with a yard or something and previous dog experience and it's really disheartening.
>>
File: IMG_20160305_152423677_TOP.jpg (4 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160305_152423677_TOP.jpg
4 MB, 2340x4160
Dog.
>>
>>2083281
why don't you want to rescue a corgi?

>broke college student
>no house with yard
>no previous dog experience

a breeder would be well within reason not to sell you a puppy, even after you've graduated. will you be getting a 9-5 job? how will you pay for vet bills after you've paid for the puppy? what will the puppy be doing all day while you're commuting and working? who will take care of it while you're gone? why SHOULD a breeder sell to a kid with no money and no means to take care of their dog?

it's not about experience with getting a dog from a reputable breeder. it's about having the means to take care of a dog, which you don't have and it sounds like you won't have for a while. you need to be in a position where you can actually take care of a dog before you even start thinking about getting one.
>>
What does /dog/ think about Chihuahuas? They get crap they don't deserve I think. I've had two since puppies, one 13 and one 7, and they're seriously some of the best dogs I could ever ask for.
>>
>>2083414
Too many shit owners, too many poorly bred.
The ones that do look like miniature dogs and not monsters with eyes about to pop out are about alright.
>>
>>2083407
This, unfortunately

But in the meantime you can start building a rapport with breeders by becoming involved with your regional club and attending events. I actually met all the nice breeders in my area because my breed club rescue chair recommended me when a breeder needed extra help at shows. I've had two breeders offer me dogs because they now know my dog philosophy and they want their dogs to go to someone like me. Get started with this now, and when you're ready for a dog you'll have your pick of breeders to choose from.

Also consider fostering rescues in the meantime.
>>
Doggo isn't regular. Sometimes he poos once a day in the morning, once a day at lunch, twice a day in the moening and afternoon, etc.

Started him on some probiotics... should I give him a bit of pumpkin purre too?

>>2083414
Super cute if they are from a good breeder, but the popularity of them means there are tons of trash breeders.

Also tons of trash owners that treat them as accessories instead of dogs, which is why they act like demons.

If I weren't sure believer in rescuing, I'd love to own a long haired chihuahua.
>>
>>2083422
What does a normal day's work for food and treats look like? What's his exercise routine?
>>
>>2083423
He gets a short, 30 minute walk in the AM , and about a cups worth of kibble afterwards (he can be a bit picky in the morning). Off to work until lunch. I come home for lunch. Back to work. Come home for the evening. Longer walk, about 45 to 60 minutes, and then a larger meal. He gets training treats whenever I feel like working with him.
>>
>>2083428
>he can be a bit picky in the morning
it's probably this. my dog has to be bribed to eat in the morning, too, which is really annoying because if it's a day I work and I drop him off at daycare, he won't be able to eat until at least 2:30pm. so I sprinkle a little bit of dust from freeze-dried liver treats on his food and he always eats.

on days when I stay home and don't need him to eat as quickly, he doesn't usually finish his breakfast until about 11am after I set his food down around 6:30-7am. a little bit here, a little bit there, and then he poops four or five times instead of the regular two or three.

For what it's worth, I also have my pupper on probiotics. I don't know how much good they're doing him now because I originally started him on them when he was taking antibiotics heavily due to complications he had after I rescued him, but he really enjoys them. I get this brand.
>>
I recently adopted a corgi/collie mix. He's very sweet and loves to play with other dogs, but when he does he gets nippy. He's not biting hard; its seems to be herding behavior.

How do I get him to stop biting/nipping other dogs when he plays with them?
>>
>Dog is old but really healthy
>A lot of shit goes down between mom and dad
>Dad wants to euthanize dog to "ease his suffering" when it's clear he's doing it out of spite
>Dad goes to jail for dumb shit for a couple months
>Dad is getting out on probation next month
>Probably going to euthanize the dog
Is there anything I can do so that our dog is legally owned by my mom or I? Am I going to have to wait until he drops him off at a shelter?
>>
>>2083799
>Is there anything I can do so that our dog is legally owned by my mom or I
where are the adoption papers? whose name is on them? if you've got the money to take this to court, be my guest, but you likely don't.

say the dog died and have it temporarily live at a friend's house.

unless of course you and your mom are letting your dad come back to live with you, in which case you're pretty much about to get what's coming to you
>>
>>2083677
>how do I undo hundreds of years of selective breeding and keep my herding breed from herding

if the dogs your dog is playing with don't like being nipped, they'll teach him a lesson. let him learn it.
>>
>>2083985
>say the dog died and have it temporarily live at a friend's house.

this.

also, as soon as you are 18 (you're 18 of course ;;)) break off all contact with your father. adults shouldn't be getting arrested for dumb shit and those that do are not worth knowing
>>
File: hulkhogan.jpg (34 KB, 720x567) Image search: [Google]
hulkhogan.jpg
34 KB, 720x567
>>2083987

>how do I dog train
>I have no idea
>better post about it
>>
>>2083799

Are you going to be living in the same house?

Cause it sure as hell sounds like you will...
>>
>>2083407
>>2083420
thanks for the insight
>>
>>2083985
>>2083991
>>2084008
Don't know where the papers are, I'm assuming they were thrown out. We're moving out next month, I'm getting my own place.
>>
Why do you guys have such a big problem with pure bred dogs and good breeders? If the breeder is breeding to keep the legacy of the breed and to fix health problems, what is the problem with that?
>>
>>2083281
If you want a dog, you're going to have to wait until, at the very least, you aren't broke. If you can't suddenly throw out hundreds to thousands of dollars in vet bills, I would wait. Just the cost of routine vet visits and neutering can be heavy. What makes you think you can afford a 2,000 dollar dog in the first place if you're broke? Plus, if you're going to be at school or work all the time, you definitely don't want a puppy.
>>
>>2084201
Sometimes the "legacy of the breed" shouldn't be kept. Pugs, Bulldogs, bull terriers, and similarly fucked up animals have no legacy aside from suffering and there's no humane way to breed them pure. There are dozens of dogs who just shouldn't be bred because there's no ethical or humane way to breed them without crossing them out with healthier breeds to recreate what they were before "breed standard". (see retromops)
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 750x1334
What are some signs of illness vs signs of stress in puppies? He's not very playful, and he hasn't eaten anything in around 18 hours. I've offered him all sorts of food and treats. I know sometimes puppies can just be stressed from coming to a new home, but when should I actually be concerned about him?
>>
>>2084201
>legacy of the breed
imparting inherent value to a philosophical idea while shelter dogs die. many breeds shouldn't have their "legacy" continued because they are inviable mutants.

>fix health problems
find me a breeder that does this and we'll talk.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3021x3893) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3021x3893
Home for spring break. Rubbing by dogs belly when I noticed she had a firm lump near her nip. I live 4 hours away and my parents are no nonsense people, I'm always concerned about the dogs health, and they don't really listen, if it's really serious tell me how serious.
>>
>>2084249
not eating or drinking is the #1 sign of sickness. where did your puppy come from? be honest, this is important.
>>
>>2084254
go to the fucking vet son why do you think we can diagnose this. it could be a tumor or something, or it could be nothing. VET.
>>
>>2084255
He's drinking just fine, or at least I think so. How often should he be drinking?
I don't really know where they got him, I wasn't the one who bought it. I do know the breeder was selling without a health certificate, though, which is very illegal where I live. They were at least feeding a variety of blue buffalo that had a 4-star rating on dogfoodadvisor, but generally I really don't think they were a breeder I would've supported.
My sister adopted one of his littermates, and he seems to be doing fine. When we visited, my pup seemed a bit more apprehensive and less playful than their pups.
>>
>>2084262
Okay, nevermind, he's going to the vet ASAP. He just puked up a bunch of yellow bile-like stuff.
Good news is that because they sold him without a health certificate, they're absolutely legally fucked if something goes wrong with the dog. They'd never be able to legally breed dogs again.
>>
So about a month ago my dog chewed up one of my roommates shoes. She had left it on the floor of the bathroom and left the bathroom door open. We had a common understanding that all doors to bedrooms/bathrooms need to be closed so its easier for us to watch him and he can't get into that type of mischief. Should I be responsible for replacing her shoes? I mean yeah its my dog that chewed them, but she shouldn't have left her bathroom door open with her favorite pair of shoes on the floor.

Then last night he got to another pair of her shoes by the front door where we all keep our shoes. Besides these two instances he hasn't tried to chew on shoes at all which is why we've continued to leave our shoes there.

For all intents and purposes he is my dog, but she committed to helping me take care of him. So am I liable for replacing these shoes? The first pair I don't think so since even though he was under my supervision at the time, she left the door open with the shoes on the floor for him to get to. The second pair idk because I didn't notice him doing it and I was keeping a pretty close eye on him. So not exactly sure when it happened.
>>
>>2084284
It would be polite to, since it's your dog and I'm sure she isn't happy about it. Just be a good friend/roommate/person, give her a gift card for a shoe place or something. If she's mad, then she won't be mad anymore. If she isn't, then she'll really appreciate you going out of your way to replace her shoes.
>>
>>2084284
Your roommate is the one chewing on the shoes, mate.
>>
>>2084284
Do what >>2084295 said and get her a gift card to her favorite shoe place. She probably isn't too upset about it and understand the dog was just being a dog, but it's still the polite thing to do.
>>
>>2084252
The thing about reputable breeders is that they test their progeny for a variety of diseases, do genetic testing and also do extensive research on potential mates to ensure genetic diversity. They also charge a lot more than a shelter or byb would and also screen their buyers to ensure the owner would be responsible both financially and otherwise. The most reputable breeders even contractually bind the buyers to return the dog under any circumstances where it can't be cared for.

They also sometimes have a health guarantee up to 2 years which is when some dogs develop some form of blindness iirc which can't be detected until 2 years of age

In short breeders can't guarantee a dog with perfect health who will never get ill but they do try to raise well tempered pups who who are healthy and will certainly not find their way to the streets or a shelter
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1974x1476) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1974x1476
>>2084201
Many of us here advocate for supporting reputable hobby breeders, the problem is most people don't know how to tell the difference between a reputable breeder and a BYB.
>>
>>2084468
interesting chart thanks for sharing. i always kind of grouped the last two columns together but i guess there is a distinction to be made. i've been researching/speaking with some breeders that i would have initially categorized in the far right column but they're probably closer to hobby breeders

still, they seem very thorough and i'd be very happy getting a pup from them if their waitlist wasnt so damn long
>>
>>2084534
It's worth the wait. A friend of mine just recently had a tragic run-in with BYB, a very good looking BYB. Check out their website: http://www.bydandnewfs.com/

To someone who has done research on breeders, these guys almost pass muster. Yet they take a few seemingly tiny shortcuts, and as a result my friend ended up with a very sick puppy. Luckily the puppy recovered, but she was almost lost.
>>
My dog seems to hate having fun.. how can I get him more active?
He's a chow mix/mutt, beautiful dog but really lazy and hates being outside for too long. He doesn't even like tugowar or fetch or amything. Is this normal for a dog? He's healthy as a motherfucker, but so unenthusiastic with everything, he gets next to zero excersize. He walks long enough to pee and poop, then starts tugging you toward the house. He will walk if you force him, but you can tell he hates it, he loves walking as slow as fucking possible.
He can't swim either, so what can I do for excersize?
>>
Is it really bad to let a puppy sleep in your bed with you? I'm not buying into all this "durr, Cesar Milan said it'll make the dog dominant over you so he'll become hyper aggressive and kill children and will never be trainable." I know there's probably some human health concerns, but I honestly do not care.
>>
>>2084681
Nah, my dog sleeps in my bed but you can't let HIM push you around the bed. If he's in the way of your legs, force that mother fucker over. If he does it again, kick him off and be angry. Try again the next night he should catch on and stay out your way.
>>
>>2084686
No matter how many times I kick my sister's dog off my legs, she's always right back in the same spot. The dog is spoiled as hell, though. I honestly don't know what to do about her than pray she moves out soon.
>>
>>2084538
wow that site looks very legitimate. i can see how your friend might have been fooled. what shortcuts did they take exactly? aside from having a readily available deposit form on their website i can't quite make out what wouldn't be legitimate. i cant find a list of breeders on the dog club either which probably aids in their favour
>>
>>2084689
Make sure the dog KNOW your mad, tell him I'M FUCKING MAD, GET DOWN and they'll get it.
No need to yell, just make your voice kind of 'boom' with the tone. They don't like that shit.
When you move then the first time, say 'move' very clearly while moving them. Give praise . Then kick em off if they don't get it.
>>
>>2083414
I like the normal ones. I think they are called deerhead? Appleheads are wrong & the owners tend to spoil them more.
>>
My dog died today of a heart failure, there was nothing I could do. I feel like some part of me died with her.
>>
>>2084686
That doesn't really sound like great advice. It sounds like the Cesar-Milan esque shit I was quoting before. "Nah, Bro, you just gotta show him who's boss! Dominate him! Kick him around! Just force that motherfucker to move!" This really doesn't seem to have any basis in reality besides making you feel powerful.
>>
i got a minpin. my friend says its weird that she tucks herself under her blanket and that she rubs herself on my pillow when i wake up. She also sometimes runs on only 3 of her legs? even though i know all 4 of them work ive seen that fucker use that 4 wheel drive before. She lets me hold her like a baby....

i think its really interesting how, aside from breed specific temperaments, dogs can have such varied personalities. obviously though huh, im just admiring my own dog.
>>
>>2084868
I'm so sorry Anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (904 KB, 2448x2322) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
904 KB, 2448x2322
>Work at a vet clinic but the place is pretty questionable
>8 year old small dog with slightly smelly breath, red gums, and brown and black buildup on canine teeth (worse) and back
molars (not as bad)
>Other teeth are pretty much white

Should I have my dog's teeth cleaned by a vet? My boss seems to think I'm a poorest and says daily brushing will be enough without even looking at my dog.
>>
Look into LEBA III, a fantastic dental supplement that's a great alternative to an invasive cleaning
>>
File: 12.jpg (3 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
3 MB, 2340x4160
My baby used to have so much energy, would play ball for hours. He's getting old and can't play more than 15 minutes now. Never thought he'd slow down. Its sad to think about him getting old
>>
>>2085338
I would personally recommend a dental cleaning because excessive buildup and inflamed gums could indicate the start of an infection, and infections from bad teeth can eat away at bone of the jaw if left too long, cause the dog to be unable to chew their food or even close their mouths properly, and lead to euthanasia.
>>
>>2084681
No. I mean, I only let my puppy sleep in my bed for like four days, but that was because he started biting my ears when I was trying to sleep, so I put him in a box beside the bed.

Just don't let puppy fall ogg, or he might be injured. They're sort of breakable when they're young.
>>
>>2085458
*off
>>
ive been watching a lot of dog in trouble videos because i thought it was cute how guilty dogs looked when they're in trouble but do they really realize that they're in trouble because they've done something they weren't supposed to do or are they just responding to the tone of voice? do they feel remorse? what does it mean when they show their teeth? i saw a few videos where dogs showed their teeth but didn't bite which was what i would have thought was going to happen. is it just an attempt to intimidate?

i need dog answers please and thank you
>>
>>2085541
Dogs just react to your body language. If you expect them to have messed up or know they did, they'll take their "guilty" look. If you don't, they'll just greet you with their usual hype.
>>
>>2085545
i think there's more to it than that. i've seen videos with multiple dogs getting interrogated and one dog acts apathetically while the other acts guilty

maybe the one that doesnt react is just stupid. maybe the one who acts guilty really is guilty.
>>
>>2085550
Yes and I've read papers where people were told to order their dog not to touch a bit of food and then to leave. Some were told their dog had disobeyed, and the others that the dog obeyed. Dogs looked guilty (even if they had done nothing) when their owner came back and were told they had disobeyed, and the other dogs acted happily as usual when their owner had been told the dogs had obeyed (even if they hadn't).
>>
File: 2016-03-21 00.23.38.jpg (679 KB, 845x1229) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-21 00.23.38.jpg
679 KB, 845x1229
How do I get my 7 month old airedale drongo to stop fucking biting all the time.

Pic related
>>
Do I need to brush the lower teeth if I'm using an enzymatic toothpaste?

I have a small dog that's a little under a year old and I've been brushing his teeth every night since his adult teeth came in because I know they can end up with really bad garbage mouth. His teeth look amazing, but I'm worried I'm not doing a good enough job because I don't directly brush his lower teeth.

I'm using the poultry Virbac toothpaste along with Virbac dental chews daily. Both are supposed to react to the dog's saliva that make it hard for plaque and tartar to form. He also gets to gnaw on a bully stick every few days and eats primarily dry kibble with dehydrated raw.

My goal is to have his teeth be perfect enough to avoid doing annual veterinary dental cleanings. My first dog died shortly after one due from the intubation and it's made me want to avoid them for as long as I can if I can help it.
>>
So other people and doggos make my doggo sperg out. We'll just be walking along and if he sees someone, he'll either start freaking out trying to go over to say hello, or just go into a trance and stare. Sometimes if people pass. he'll lunge to try to jump on them and greet them and just continue to freak out.

What can I do to get him to just focus? I'm training him for a head halter at the moment (in hopes to fix the lunging), but I don't know what to do out his sperging. I've tried a squirt gun... it worked at first but now he just sort of ignores it.
>>
File: 20160320_125556.jpg (376 KB, 714x1149) Image search: [Google]
20160320_125556.jpg
376 KB, 714x1149
Just found this sweetie pie half an hour ago, no tags on her collar.

I saw her loose on tuesday and tried to catch her, but she would't come, so she's been on the street since at least then. She's pretty skinny and acted kind of skittish at first, but my gf got her to come eat some dog treats and we got a leash on her. She was really hungry and wolfed down a bowl of food. She was covered in shit and her hair was all matted so we gave her a bath which she loved once she was all clean, she was rolling around on the floor with the biggest smile.

She's playing with our doggo in the backyard right now having a blast and has calmed down a ton since she seems to finally feel safe for the first time in a while. She's so friendly!

Posted her pics on a bunch of animal finding sites, gonna take her to the vet to get miscrochipped later today, and gonna call the humane society and shelter tommorow since they're closed today.
>>
>>2085654
you know, i would give my advice for finding owners, but

>no tags

after about 7 dogs, i've changed my policy. no tags no chip means your dog goes to the local no kill shelter. I no longer try to find people who don't care.
>>
File: 20160320_131429.jpg (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160320_131429.jpg
2 MB, 1080x1920
>>2085655
We found another cute Collie mix a couple months ago with no tags, the owner's friends saw our post in a facebook group. Tons of college kids in this neighborhood whos pets escape all the time. (Including me, I'm a forgetful idiot sometimes and leace the back gate open, but fortunately our doggo never goes more than two houses down.)

Here's my doggo and her hanging out right now.
>>
File: IMG_20160319_1621071_rewind.png (2 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160319_1621071_rewind.png
2 MB, 1600x900
>>2083382
>>
>>2085671
CENSOR THIS.
MODSMODSMODS.
I BET SHE'S UNDER 18 TOO.
>>
>>2085585
If he tries to bite grab it by the fucking throat & pin it to the god damn ground. Stop being such a fucking pussy & discipline your fucking dog jesus christ
>>
My parents have two dogs that know not to poop in their crates but spend their time all day alone outside when they're not home.
Which is most of the time, they rarely play with them.

I'm currently teaching them their basics so they're ready to stay inside since my parents don't give a shit and kick them out because they run all over

Can someone help me understand how you keep your dogs inside? What you let them do?
Should I just teach them to stay at your side? No playing indoors?
That they can only stay in the living room?
>>
>>2085678
I think you and your family are broken.
>>
>>2085678
I bet it's a pitbull or some shit "mix", isn't it OP?
>>
>>2085678
Just keep them inside. If it's just playing it's fine, but for roughhousing I usually just let my doggos run around in the yard until they're tired.
When they come back in (because they're small) I don't mind if they jump on the furniture. I have lint rollers for any excess hair.
After a while, they caught on that the kitchen was a no-no while cooking.
It's just a matter of getting used to it and using positive reinforcement.
>>
>>2085681
They're noBrand ugly dogs my mom adopted from one of her workers
My brother lives with them, he's the one that plays with them and takes them for walks

>>2085684
Ok yea, I think I'll just do that.
They're pretty calm dogs, I think my parents just saw them run around the house like crazy and thought that was it?
My mom just wants them trained without having to bother with it herself
>>
>>2084691
Everything on their website sounds legit, but they let the pups go at 8 weeks before the recommended cardiac clearances (has to be done at 10+ weeks by a veterinary cardiologist), they only use a regular vet to clear their breeding stock instead of a cardiologist, they breed their bitches once a year instead of every 2-3 years, they breed their own dogs out of convenience instead of looking for a sire who compliments the bitches' faults, they are somewhat active in conformation but not in working trials (water work, drafting, obedience).

What happened with my friend is they flew her a puppy (in the cabin with a human escort, which is not ideal but okay), the puppy had a terrible infection in her knee and went to the emergency vet with a severe fever that night, and the breeder refused to acknowledge fault and refused to pay for the treatment. If the breeder had waited until 10 weeks, as they should have, the infection would have been caught and treated. Same if the breeder had the puppy vet-checked the day before flying as they should have.
>>
File: pupper.jpg (86 KB, 482x768) Image search: [Google]
pupper.jpg
86 KB, 482x768
Dog!
>>
File: 20160320_161941.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160320_161941.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Just got a pupper. He was a rescue, what does he look like? His paperwork says he's a Hound L/Terrier mix
>>
>>2085771
hound pit mix. congratulations, you now own a "pit bull"

probably one of the best mixes you could get desu, will be very smart dog.
>>
>>2085758
ah cool. seeing a cardiologist would be a newfie specific thing though right?

what would have been ideal in terms of transporting a puppy? i know most reputable breeders demand the puppy be picked up in person and screen their buyers before selling but short of that what would be done? i guess a good breeder would just refuse to see the dog right?
>>
File: 20160320_165737-1.jpg (3 MB, 2688x1860) Image search: [Google]
20160320_165737-1.jpg
3 MB, 2688x1860
>>2085789
He's already pretty well socialized. I don't know much about pits other than the memes. My family and I have owned Pug/Jackrussle, and a mastiff before. It's not my first pupper but what behaviour should I be on the watch for.
>>
>>2085771
Some kind of hound + pitbull. He's a real qt.
>>
>>2085804
kind of a scary pitbull face
>>
>>2085804
hound nature will make him ultra inquisitive and want to sniff everything if my experiences are anything. work a LOT on leash walking EARLY so that he pays attention to you and you don't have to drag him/have him pull you all the time. I adopted my hound as a near adult and he is either lagging or pulling 100% of the time on walks.
>>
>>2085819
Thank you
>>2085805
And you :3
>>
File: animals-pugstare.gif (958 KB, 250x269) Image search: [Google]
animals-pugstare.gif
958 KB, 250x269
I have a question for /an/

There is a fenced in off-leash dog park that I go to. Its the kind of dog park where dogs chase each other, and roll around, and basically anything goes as long as there is no fighting.

There are chairs, but people don't sit in them because the dogs are constantly peeing on the legs (they are like plastic outdoor chairs). Its outside, so dogs poop and pee wherever.

There are a few ladies who recently have been bringing babies (0 - 1yr olds) in strollers. They don't bring dogs, I guess they just like to take walks with their babies and see the dogs.

If the stroller gets peed on, who is to blame? If dogs are running and playing rough, and a dog jumps on the baby or knocks the stroller over, who is to blame? No babies have been hurt yet, but a stroller got peed on and the lady was pretty upset.
>>
>>2085928
the lady is 100% to blame.

all of the dog parks in my area have "no children under 12 allowed inside" rules posted clearly outside of the fence for this reason. if your dog park doesn't have a sign with these rules on it, check the rules for dog parks for your county.

some people still bring their little kids to the park and they're always told immediately by multiple people they can't bring them in. no one wants their mastiff to bowl over a kid when he's playing with another dog. those rules are in place to keep everyone safe.
>>
>>2085928
>If the stroller gets peed on, who is to blame?

are you kidding me? the idiot bringing babies to a dog park. this is not a good idea, and someone should say something.
>>
>>2085801
Any breed prone to certain heart defects should be cleared by a cardiologist

The ideal way to transport would be for the owner to drive out and pick up. Airplane travel isn't that awful, though, if you take the right precautions. This breeder, though, did not. A reputable breeder breeds very rarely, so they have the ability to dictate the type of home their puppies go to. When getting to know potential owners, the discussion of transport would likely come up and the breeder can specify how they'd like the puppy picked up.
>>
I'm picking up an Akita on tuesday. What does /an/ reccomend I feed him puppy foodwise?
>>
>>2086026
Canidea if you can find it. I'd ask what the breeder/previous owner fed his parents/him.
>>
>>2086026
cute. puppy? rescue? byb or reputable breeder? PICS??? anon dont be such a tease
>>
>>2086026
ask whoever you're picking him up from what food he was eating before you picked him up. get a tiny bag of that and do a slow transition to better food. unless it's a really reputable breeder I can guarantee you they're feeding him garbage.

I feed my pupper taste of the wild. it's one of the more affordable better food options out there. I've also heard wellness is really good, but my puppy is doing really well on TOW and since he came to me with a lot of digestive problems which is now just getting over, I'm not willing to risk switching.
>>
>>2085928
Get that disgusting flat face monstrosity out of here, but the lady. The dog owners should definitely have better trained dogs before allowing them to run around a dog park, though. I don't imagine a dog who's running around peeing on people and isn't smart enough to avoid bowling into people will be welcomed either.
>>
>>2086621
he didn't say the dogs were running around peeing on people. I assume he meant that the lady left her stroller stationary and walked around the park or sat on a bench or something and a dog came and peed on it.
>>
I live in a rural area and I can't go to the big city just yet. What are some good alternatives for dog shampoo?
>>
>>2086733
If there's a feed store nearby, pick up some Mane and Tail. I use it on my dog and on me.
>>
>>2086741
>I use it on my dog and on me.
what?

alright. I'll try to find one if the stores have it.

I hear that detergent is okay as a substitute, true or not?
>>
My parents are away and our dog is curled up in her bed in the corner of my room. Every time she falls asleep tonight she starts panting. I have not let her sleep in my room often so I have never noticed this. Normally I would think it's just doggy dreams but it's not stopping, should I be worried? It's not hot in my room.
>>
>>2086742
It's good shampoo for animals and people. I wouldn't use detergent it's probably very harsh.
>>
>>2086902
So I moved my dog out of her bed. A few hours ago I put her inside this doggy faux-fur cocoon. She was reluctant to sleep in it but I interpreted this as 'I want to sleep in your bad rather than mine'. I was strong with her and made her sleep there and she obeyed. Only now do I realise she was overheating (she is a whippet so I worry about her feeling the cold). I feel like such a shitty person.

Mum is away and she is the light of her little whippetty life. I feel really sad when I use mum's car and she is at the door waiting for her to walk in only to see me there...
>>
got a hungarian vizsla puppy a few days ago and I notice he smells quite strongly, it's a musty dog smell. My labrador never had a noticeable smell. Will washing him make a difference or is it just the natural and permanent smell of him?
>>
Okay, started this thread because i want help and advice, im a very serious guy and would like to give a dog a good house but im kind of lost
>>2087003
sorry for spam
>>
When do dogs stop making puppy sounds? My golden's 8 months old and she still makes a lot of noises.

Also when we're eating, she often just lays on her back, and puts one of her front leg in her mouth, kinda looks like she's sucking her thumb. That just means terminal boredom, right?
>>
I have a 7-8 year old foster that begs like hell for attention. I know it should be ignored, but I don't want to not give her attention. I guess I'm just confused where I need to draw the line and that is confusing my pupper.

Basically it's the worst when you are sitting in a chair or on the couch. She goes overboard when you are on the ground, too, but I'm not often on the ground and I was trying to use that as a space where she does get attention. I usually ignore her when sitting and she will eventually get down, but sometimes she reaches my face and starts pawing my face, licking me or even nibbling me recently so I will shove her down.

As far as making sure she is stimulated, she can not go on long walks for a while unfortunately. She is getting HW treatment soon and I don't want her to get used to mile long walks and be dropped to short walks just to pee and poop and come back. She's not too enthusiastic with Kong's, she licks and peanut butter on the outside and goes back to business. I am trying to teach her a lot of tricks to help keep her from getting bored and having one on. One time but there's only so much I can do with the hours I work.

Anyone have any suggestions
>>
>>2086998
Might go away when he matures.
>>
I'm thinking about adopting a greyhound, but is a 600 sq ft studio apartment enough space for one?

I know they're supposed to need very little space but I'm concerned that the organization that adopts them out won't think it's large enough.
>>
>>2083275
>>2083275
>>2083275
what mix of dog is the one in the OP? my guess is corgi/poodle? i've seen one corgi poodle mix that looks similar to that on google images but the others look more poodle-y
>>
>Saw a guy walking his corgi today

that cute tiny feet, moving at 1000 RPM
>>
File: CcszZKCW0AA-yvG.jpg (60 KB, 600x637) Image search: [Google]
CcszZKCW0AA-yvG.jpg
60 KB, 600x637
anyone own shibe? how are they? i'm allergic to cats.
>>
>>2087323
> Lol doge so qt and kawaii, I'll get one and take all the pics

stop this shit. they are meme dogs, not great personality wise and require lots of upkeep. if you didn't already know this it means you are probably a non dog owner looking into ownership so you can have a kawaii accessory.
>>
When can I start walking my puppy? She's 8 weeks
>>
Hi guys, just wondering which kibble brands are truly "good". we've been feeding our dogs blue wilderness but I think the high fat content occasionally causes pancreas aggravation in one of our dogs. occasional loss of appetite and belly gurgling (he'll skip a meal once or twice a month).

looking to switch him to another brand but wondering what's good and what's bullshit
>>
>>2087323
They're not beginner dogs. Stubborn as an ox and super high energy. If you want a meme dog, get a corgi.
>>
>>2087345
Literally just read the OP you cunt.
>>
File: chihuahua-deer-head3.jpg (77 KB, 720x691) Image search: [Google]
chihuahua-deer-head3.jpg
77 KB, 720x691
>>2083414

The tiny foetus like creatures that people carry around and treat like little toys I can't stand, they're allmost allwasy spoiled and nasty and their appearence freaks me out. The propper ones that aren't byb runts I don't mind, some like this are even quite cute. I'm more of a fan of larger lanky breeds though like dobes, weims and greyhounds
>>
>>2087351
I checked the link in the op, it doesn't answer the question. it's just a list of hundreds of brands of kibble, and you can click on a brand to see reviews. why the fuck would I waste my time browsing that shit when half the positive reviews are "lol my dog likes it xd". an informed anon could steer me in the right direction with a 10 second post

why don't you literally off yourself you cunt
>>
>>2087351
>>2087364

Children please.

>>2087364

To be fair if you're looking for a sensible answer don't ask /an/. Google is your friend. Or phone your vet and talk to them about it, which will take you all of ten munutes to arrange and you'll get actual, quality advice.
>>
>>2087364
Spoiler: you can filter by 5 stars reviews, stars which are awarded by the staff and not based on user reviews. And then, you can see each's ingredients and find the one with the least fat.
But I guess that's too hard for you.
Maybe you should drop your dog at a shelter if you're not willing to do more than a minute of research for him.
>>
>>2087323
They aren't cats.
>>
>>2087364
You didn't read it, you fucking twat. The reviews list the ingredients, tells you which ones are controversial, remarks on the macro nutrient compositions like fat, protein, and carbs.

The reviews have nothing to do with rather dogs like it. It has everything to do with analysis of ingredients... you fucking lazy shit. If consuming information is too hard for you, call your fucking vet and ask them for suggestions. If you can't even do that, then just fuck off.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
This is the spot where my puppy's spay incision is.
Went to the vets two days ago, they told me it's pretty normal if the incision opens, but should heal fine. I don't feel like the vet got a particularly good view though...
Two days later and the knot has swollen a little and this orange ring had gotten bigger and uglier.
Surgery was 1.5 weeks ago.
Thoughts guys? They told me to come in Friday but I feel like maybe I should just go in today, I'm worried.
>>
My boyfriend and I are going to adopt this little dog but my boyfriend doesn't want to buy dry dog food, he wants to make the food himself. Any advices about how we can make home made food for our future pet ?
>>
>>2087323
they are like dogs, not a cat replacement. and they are hyper and unmotivated, leave fur everywhere for weeks multiple times a year.
>>
>>2087481
Don't do it unless you have a vet and/or a dietitian's backing, willingness to cook some more everyday and money to spend on it. And don't feed the dog tablescraps.

You could also just go for fine kibble and wet food to go with it. Not all of it is crap.
>>
What are some fun dog games to play with my badger hund? I want to engage his nose desu
>>
>>2087505
Also same dog, he only has one teste, he's 4 months old. How long should I wait to have him neutered? I want him to be able to reach his genetic potential, which might not happen due to being hitler.
>>
Saging, forgot to on my second post. How are samoyeds personality, energy, maintenance, and health wise? I have no problem dedicating an hour a day to grooming if that's what it takes. Are they compatible with scenthounds or should I get another hound and have a hunting and tracking extravaganze?
>>
Any tips on bite training? Puppy gets out of time out and immediately bites again
>>
>>2087560
>time out
What do you even mean by this?

When your pup bites you too hard, yelp and get out the room and close the door. Or if you can't trust him alone yet, yelp, get up, cross your arms and look at the ceiling.
>>
>>2087438
Not emergency tier desu
>>
>>2087630
Then he bites my feet instead
>>
>>2087438
I'm not sure what that ring is. my dog's neutering incision got infected and it didn't look like a ring. the edges of the incision were bright red and hot to the touch.

what tipped me off to the infection was a smell. it was a metallic smell, sort of like hot blood and copper. luckily I was able to get him to the vet the morning after I noticed it. he got some antibiotics and a new, bigger cone to keep him from touching it. your dog is wearing a cone or big e-collar or inflatable collar to keep her from touching it, right?

if she can still reach it, take a bar of deodorant and draw a ring around the incision. the taste/smell kept my dog from licking until morning.
>>
>>2087481
>my boyfriend doesn't want to buy dry dog food, he wants to make the food himself
why does he want to do this?

unless you guys are really financially well-off, he's got no business doing this. most people who want to do this are the types who assume they can just feed their dogs a smaller portion of whatever the humans in the house are eating for dinner so they don't have to spend money on kibble
>>
>>2087645
>hot blood and copper
sorry bro your dog is a skinwalker
>>
>>2087646
He wants to do this to give our future dog the best nutrition and a good health, he's a lot into dietetics.
Howewer I'm not very fond of this idea, we got money but not that much so I would rather go for dry food. My boyfriend told there was loads of shit in dry food so...I don't really know what to think about it
>>
>>2087648
that's the smell I always imagine when I read those stories, so yeah

>>2087652
there are plenty of healthy, quality kibbles for dogs out there. but dietetics is vastly different for dogs than for people and he won't know what he's doing. if he's really set on "hurr kibble bad for muh dog", I know of at least one "fresh" food brand at petsmart called freshpet. it's basically a refrigerated mix of food.

you're going to need to brush your dog's teeth way more than average, though, since he wont be benefiting from chewing crunchy kibble.
>>
>>2087438
Could be a skin infection, could just be a yeast infection when the dog has been licking. Call your vet, they can ask questions to determine if you should go in sooner than your appointment.
>>
>>2087481
Your boyfriend's reasoning is the same reason I went with creating my own balanced raw diet for my dog. But definitely consult with a licensed clinical nutritionist, an unbalanced home cooked or raw diet can be dangerous. Since going this route I have noticed markedly better health in my pup, and recommend it if you have the time, resources, and money.

And in the interim research phase, a good place to start is with companies like Honest Kitchen where you can use the standard formula and then add your own meat. Those foods are a lot less processed than kibble and include natural moisture and more intact whole-food vitamins. They tend to run carb-heavy, though, compared to higher-end kibble so that's why I recommend adding more meat. And keep in mind you need to include muscle meat and organ meat, otherwise you run the risk of deficiencies.

If you have time, check out nutritionists Lew Olson and Kymythy Schultze. Both have published nutrition books, and offer phone consults.
>>
>>2087659
Kibble contributes heavily to dental disease in dogs due to the high carb content
>>
>>2087481
Dogs have very exact nutritional needs. Please, please, please consult with your vet as well as a real dietitian. It is viable, but it is a ton of work, and if it isn't done just right, it will hurt your pooch.
>>
>>2087509
What did your vet say? Ideally a dog shouldn't be neutered until the growth plates close, but in the event of an undescended testicle you may have to neuter him early.
>>
>>2087689
In general vets know very little about the specific nutritional needs of pets, a person should consult an actual clinical nutritionist and not a vet
>>
>>2087687
>high-carb content
>what is grain-free
>>
>>2087689
>>2087685
>>2087659

thank you for the advices, it seems like a very hard work and I don't want the pup to feel bad because of a little mistake. I think we'll go for dry or wet food before we start anything too difficult
>>
So I've been teaching my dog to walk with a choke chain like collar. It has a chain to pop for a correction, but doesn't choke like a choke chain.

Doggo has done okay on it. He hardly pulls, but won't walk perfectly in heel. I decided to bring some treats to add some positive reinforcement to our walks to see if that would help. When I tried to offer him a treat, he just ignored it and kept walking forward. He wouldn't eat it unless we stopped, and when we stopped, he just wanted to sniff. I suspect this is one reason why I have some difficulties walking him. It's like he trances out and just goes ahead until we stop so he can sniff.

I suspect it has to do with the fact he is a hound/lab mix, and the hound comes across really strong in his temperament, and he is about 18 months old and this is the first time he's ever walked on a leash (last owners didn't bother).

Suggestions?
>>
What should I use to brush my dog's teeth? Just a toothbrush? "Toothpaste for dogs"? Or some natural substance?
>>
>>2087698
>high-carb content
>thinks grain-free is low in carbs
nearly none of it. They just use potato starch and ground up peas and carb filler.
The meat is 80% water so you can get 'grain-free' that's 20% actual meat and 80% filler.
>>
>>2087351
Because people don't have all day to sift through hundreds of brands.
>>
Dog food advisor doesn't have any reviews for black hawk holistic. Google results are thinking the sun shines out of its ass. Is this misleading?

The cunts at pet barn recommended me Eukanuba and Purina pro. According to pet food advisor it sucks. Black hawk seems to be the only brand that is accessible that isn't shit. In Australia it seems the only choice you have is Purina, science diet, Eukanuba, pedigree plus and Royal cannin. Any help? I have a cattle dog who gets exercised to no end. Want something that will keep her going.
>>
Good or bad idea: Been wanting to raise a puppy for a long while now. My only problem left is while I'm at work from 10pm-6am.I was thinking make the truck-bed (with locking cap) nice with toys/bed/ect and taking the pup to work while its nice out.
I can easily go out every hour or so, plus breaks. And it's only until the puppy could stay home by itself long enough for me to come back home on lunch.
>>
File: IMG_20160324_100843.jpg (1 MB, 2656x4720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160324_100843.jpg
1 MB, 2656x4720
I opened thread than i saw this one. So i found abandoned puppy and i want to keep him. Pls if anyone can determine race, and help me with raising this puppy, like waht food, should i give him, i only gave him milk so far, i get that it is a 1-2 weeks old, open eyelids but poor eyesight.
>>
>>2087883
Bad idea, there's no temperature regulation in a truck bed.
>>
>>2087897
If only there were doctors whose entire job is taking care of animals
>>
>>2087905
unfortunatly i live in an areo where there is no veterenary service like in some countries, all i can do is vacinate him, which i did, but his knowledge of breed and anything else is shame, he coulnd give me one good guidence how should i take care of him, since he only knows how to threat cows and pigs.
>>
>>2087897
Did you give him cow milk? There's puppy formula in the pet section of most stores, like Walmart.. As for the age, how do you know that if it was abandoned? Does it have teeth? If so than its older than you say it is. As food good, that's up to its age.

And take it to a fucking vet, dude. People act like /an/ is some animal guru shit. No one can tell you what breed it is because it's still just a puppy. So you really won't know if it will be a big breed. By the look of the paws I would say it's probably a medium sized breed. PROBABLY. But anyway, take it to a vet or take it to a shelter. Post its pic on FB.
>>
>>2087875
And apparently don't have the time to read >>2087381 or >>2087385 .
I pity their dogs.
>>
>>2087908
and going like 500km to nearest veterenary clinic is just to much for my pocket. So if anyone could help will be much apriciated, i just couldnt leave him on open in woods when it was raining.
>>
>>2087897
>1-2 weeks
>keep
No.
Give it to a vet.
Or look for breeders whose bitches recently had litters.
You cannot raise this pup. Give it to a professional, and come back when he's grown up enough if you still want him.
I'll say it again because you're probably dense : you cannot raise this pup. Give it to a professional, and come back when he's grown up enough if you still want him.
>>
>>2087910
Also i am from kosovo here pet stores and vet are just non existant, i need to go really like 500km to nearest vet that can actually help me
>>
>>2087913
I tried pet shelters and even giving the puppy to someone who has allready pets but they all refused, So the only thing left for me is to raise this puppy i can afford whatever he needs i vacinated him allready, though i am aware that it would be hard but my options are limited.
>>
File: Mk1ThAd.webm (788 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Mk1ThAd.webm
788 KB, 640x640
dank from imgur
>>
>>2087916
I hope that you'll enjoy, best case, your retarded dog when it's grown up. Worst case, it'll be dead within the month.
Plus, you should stop lying on the Internet about having done things when you never tried.
>>
>>2087711
Someone pls respond.
>>
>>2087921
Would if I knew. Unfortunately, I've got a few acres so all my walks are off-lead free-range hippy shit.
>>
>>2087919
Ok i get the message, it's not the point that I enjoy a dog, i'ts about what is best for this puppy, i will try my best to find someone who can give it proper care for him, in the end it wasnt even my interest at first to keep him just to save him.
>>
My dog is a dachshund mix and obviously cannot handle being off leash. Can I use a retractable leash to give him more room to play fetch and explore?
>>
My 9 months old puppy is acting like she's 3 again, what do?
She's started getting scared of everything again, and sleeping under my desk, which she hadn't done in months until last week.
Golden retriever, btw.
>>
>>2087908
Internet says there's vets in Kosovo.
http://www.veterinby.com/pet-hospital-kosovo/
>>
>>2087711
>choke chain
Stopped there. Give your dog to somebody who isn't an incompetent fuck who's too lazy to train their dog.
>>
>>2087999
true but politics man, i am serbian and that vet is albanian, simply going there here is life risk for me and puppy, anyway, i solved the problem, neghbor accepted my offer for puppy to be with his nursing dog for 1 month. So everything is ok for now.
>>
I rescued a puppy today.

It's a lab/boxer mix, maybe a year old. I got her home and took her on a long walk, but she didn't do her business. I took her inside and gave her a bath to wash that awful shelter smell off and afterwards she peed on my carpet.

I'm thinking she has never been housetrained, and she doesn't know what to do. I caught her in the act and scolded her then took her for another walk where she finally pooped.

How can I housetrain my new dog like now? I can't be cleaning up pee all the time. I plan to take her out again in another hour or so
>>
File: neetdog.jpg (396 KB, 1631x866) Image search: [Google]
neetdog.jpg
396 KB, 1631x866
I was eating a banana today and my dog took a bite out of it when I wasn't paying attention

Is she going to be okay or should I get her to the vet asap?
>>
>>2087645
>>2087682

Ended up taking her yesterday late.
A different doctor this time, he said it shouldn't be a concern, discoloration happens and so does the mound that forms when the sutures inside begin to break apart.

He gave me antibiotics as a precaution though, said she may be on the border of infection.

Regardless, her incision sealed today. Weirdly fast considering all the watery discharge and the way it looked the day before. Not complaining though.
>>
File: casey 4.jpg (108 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
casey 4.jpg
108 KB, 720x960
I took in a dog that was going to be put down because he was mostly blind around 4 months ago.
When I got him he was very obedient, didn't bark or growl or bite or anything, but lately he's started biting me if I move him away from the cat's food, growls if I don't open the door for him into my room and barks a lot whenever the doorbell rings. I've never had a dog before and only took him in to save his life desu, I wouldn't go out of my way to get a dog.
Any advice to get him to stop biting and stuff? Also I learnt that he knows some commands but he only does them sometimes even though he obviously knows what he's supposed to do. Tips to get him consistent?

Pic related
>>
>>2088007
very unrelated to dogs but half my family are serb immigrants but idk anything about serbia and would like to learn more about the country & language. any chance of talking to you on skype or something 2 learn more?
>>
>>2088418
cute puppy. is he still blind? or was it something that cleared up?

it sounds like you're letting the dog run the show which shouldn't be how it works. just because he's an armful of cuteness doesn't mean that he can't get dangerous, especially since you don't know what his adult size will be, which i'd bet is medium to large

does anyone know why dogs put down their ears when you balance something on their nose? is it a submission thing? i'm not sure
>>
>>2088420
Oh he's actually fully grown! He's 14 and a chihuahua//pomeranian mix (I think). And yeah he's still blind, cataracts.

How do I discipline him when he does that kind of stuff? I think I've heard too much conflicting info on how to manage dogs so I just end up doing nothing, or I'll only be stern with him sometimes and then feel bad about it.
>>
>>2088421
just ignore him and continue to be stern. he's really cute for a chihuahua/pom mix. he doesn't have the large bulgy eyes that you normally see in those dogs.

how does he behave otherwise? considering that he's blind i mean.

alternatively look into dog trainers. i could see blind dogs being more difficult to train
>>
How can I get my dog to lie down? Her back leg is fractured and has been seen by a vet and she's on meds but she doesn't want to lay down
>>
File: CASEY 3.jpg (124 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
CASEY 3.jpg
124 KB, 500x667
>>2088422
He actually manages really well, loves playing fetch (he listens for the noise the ball makes when it lands and chases it, he's surprisingly fast/competent), he seems to have mapped out the apartment and generally doesn't bump into anything, sometimes trips over gutters and stuff when we're walking but it doesn't phase him.
He's also really docile apart from the barking and growling stuff, he sits completely still when I give him a haircut and bathe him.
All in all he's very cool and I'm glad I got him
>>
>>2088428
that's awesome. glad he found a home and that you're happy.

also just hide the cat food or put it somewhere he can't get to
>>
>>2088429
True, I generally feed him and the cat at the same time in the mornings before I have to leave for class and don't have a lot of time but I think I'll do them one at a time

Ty
>>
>>2088183
>scolded her
Too late to housetrain now.
>>
>>2088433
don't be dumb
>>
>>2088183
Take her out all the time, praise her loudly and treat her whenever she does outside.
How can people still have troubles with this in fucking 2016?
>>
>>2088419
Sure, just dont make me post skype id here :D
>>
>>2088467
my id's nervousthoughts, u can add me
>>
>>2088460
>come on, it's the current year!
thanks you limey cunt I wish I could rip all three teeth out of your deformed head
>>
>>2088477
lel
>>
>>2087936
Second fear period, totally normal. Keep up the training and socialization
>>
>>2088486
>second
Please tell me there's no third.
It's really, really annoying. She's scared of... everything, even things that didn't use to scare her, and she's way more clingy.
>>
File: 20141128_111715.jpg (507 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20141128_111715.jpg
507 KB, 2048x1152
>>2083414
I have a 14 year old and she is still spry and lively despite having a seizure disorder and having half of her teeth removed. She gains +100 to all stats when in the presence of food.
>>
how do I punish my dog for big things? things like "you accidentally dropped my leash, time to sprint into the street!" he can't do that; I live in an apartment complex on a main road. he could get killed.

I can't think of a possible way to turn it into a "reward for not doing the thing". he needs to know that he can NOT sprint away from me into the street, but it's not like I can let him do it on purpose and then reward him when he doesn't sprint off because the risks are too high.

the thing is, when he did it, he thought it was a game--me chasing after him. but I can't just do the "ignore it and walk away so he knows it's not a game" thing, because, again, the risks are too high. he'll wander off. today when I caught him, I gave him a swat on the ass and yelled "NO" in his face. he didn't come to me--I had to physically catch him--so it's not like I was punishing him for something I WANTED him to do (coming to me).

besides the obvious "don't drop the leash faggot", how do I keep this from happening again?
>>
>>2088494
whenever my puppy saw a thing he was afraid of, he always was immediately fine after I touched it first.

he used to be afraid of statues. so I'd have to hold onto his leash and drag him within touching distance, and touch the statute. he was immediately reassured.

I'm not sure what makes this response in her and what reassures her--you know your dog better than some stranger, obviously--but that's what worked for me. it was also nice to know that he put enough trust in me to think "well, YOU think it's fine, so it must be fine"
>>
>>2088497
Beautiful coat!
>>
>>2088518
Oh my god, my dog used to do the same thing with some metal statues. It took me about a week starting with walking on the opposite side of the street, then slowly building up to the point that she was willing to come near them, and finally she sniffed them and realized they weren't real. It still makes me laugh.
>>
File: IMG_2758.jpg (512 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2758.jpg
512 KB, 1632x1224
>>2087323

I got an older shibe. He is pretty chill but definitely not like other dogs.

He also got anxiety issues because he came from an abusive home
>>
lmao

http://www.theonion.com/article/popular-designer-dog-breed-just-twisted-spinal-cor-52637?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2083414
My uncle has one and I think she's adorable.
>>
>>2088515
So after your dog runs away from you, your plan is to punish him for coming back to you? No wonder he wants to get the fuck away from you, you autistic fuck. You think he's going to come back just so you can scream at and beat him? Let him run away, you're too fucking retarded to train a dog.
>>
>>2088678
your reading comprehension is shit, isn't it?
>>
>>2088187
My doggo loves bananas and comes and sits like a good boy when I first crack open a banana. He gets a couple of small bits, about a quarter inch of the banana. He loves the texture, and will eat most fruits (after I checked toxicity). He loves small bits of dried mango and fresh pineapple too. Just be careful with total sugar content. Fructose from fruit is fine in relatively large amounts, but dogs don't need much sugar in the first place.
>>
>>2088187
this is so fucking funny to me
>>
>>2087323

Just get a Border Collie if you want a a high energy, hyper, stubborn dog. They're at least smart and obedient.

Memedogs can't do offleash well (if you have a huge backyard/own a closed field than this doesn't matter as much) and they aren't very obedient, and their coats are obnoxious.

My vet is raising 6 them.
>>
>>2088679
Your reasoning is shit. Learn how to properly walk your dog and stop hitting him, faggot.
>>
>>2088697
so what IS the proper protocol when a dog does something that is absolutely not allowed to happen again, and you can't practice not doing it with him? how do you communicate to him that he's not allowed to do that thing ever again?
>>
File: CAM00076.jpg (384 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
CAM00076.jpg
384 KB, 2048x1536
>>2088515
The key here is not to punish (it honestly doesn't work that well and will just make the dog afraid to come back to you), but to stop the dog before he even gets to that point of wanting to run. So, because this is difficult to explain over text, I'm going to suggest you look up a few YouTube channels:

Kikopup

Zacgeorge

Jollytailsinc

There's also a few books that you can get at a used book store for cheap. Just picked these up today for less than $20.
>>
>>2088700
If you have to take the dog on walks and it must be by the street, get a strong harness and a strong leash until you have time to properly train the dog. But you should consider finding large areas where the dog can get more exercise than a simple walk. If you can take him/her swimming, that's an awesome way to do it. Hiking is also awesome, parks or closed off, fenced areas like baseball fields are awesome spots to train too. Just gotta figure out a way to get that energy burnt off a little BEFORE you try to train.
>>
>>2088704
I have a strong harness and strong leash. My dog is properly exercised. Him getting out of my hands was an accident.

I agree I need to do preventative training. But preventative training isn't what I'm asking about.

But right now I've got a dog on his morning walk and the leash slips out of my hand and he decides to take off into the street because it's fun game when his owner chases him around and making loud noises. What if it happens tomorrow? What if it happens in the next two weeks? Training takes time. Am I just SOL if this happens while he's still learning?
>>
>>2088816
Just don't take him to an area where he can be at risk until you have him trained unless risking him being injured or killed is worth it.

So basically yes, you are kind of sol. Get him trained.
>>
File: 0203161051a.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
0203161051a.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
Can anyone take a guess at what this shepherd is mixed with? I know I'm probably crazy but I think there may be a hint of wolf in him he just doesn't look like any shepherd I've seen before.
>>
>>2088859
>may be a hint of wolf in him
no
>>
>>2088859
There is absolutely no wolf in that dog. Looks like a typical long-coated black/tan GSD.
>>
Where would be the best place to keep a pupper overnight?

She's not housebroken or crate trained, but I do have a crate she's in the process of getting used to. (she's okay for a few minutes but then starts whining)
Last night I didn't have the crate so I had to put her bed in the bathroom with the lights out. She did great, but probably because she couldn't see anything to get into.

Would it be better to put her in the crate all night and risk scaring her away or should I go with the bathroom again?
>>
>>2088859
Husky, would be my guess. There is no wolf in him.

He's a real qt though.
>>
File: madeline1.jpg (122 KB, 900x651) Image search: [Google]
madeline1.jpg
122 KB, 900x651
What is the world record for longest/thickest doggie dick?
>>
>tfw my dog got off her chain and ran under my truck today

Feels really really bad /an/. I brought her to the vet, but I can't justify spending $3000-$5000 on her, no matter how much I loved her, so I had to put her down. Not even sure what to do right now, usually she would sit next to me while I was on the computer.
>>
File: 0203161055.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
0203161055.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
>>2088863
>>2088866
>>2088873
Thanks hes the father of my new pupper.

Here she is with the mother, the owners said she was a rottweiler but even I can tell shes not a purebred.
>>
>>2088882
Head, snout, stop, muzzle, high set ears, full cheecks and eyes says some sort of bully breed. APBT, Staffy, Bulldog, etc but more than likely, a mix of many poorly bred pit bull type dogs that make up the general term 'pit bull'. In other words, I see it mixed with a 'pit bull' but not any apparent breed,
>>
>>2088937
my friend saw my dog's dick recently and loled
>of course your dog would have a huge dick
i have a small dog, i don't even get it really
>>
File: AKgP57p.jpg (826 KB, 1195x2125) Image search: [Google]
AKgP57p.jpg
826 KB, 1195x2125
She's probably a mutt of some kind but what do you think is in my aunt's dog?
She has a very powerful livestock guardian instinct, to the point where she wont listen to us and tries to drive other dogs away.
She hasn't actually gotten into a fight with them but one of these days someone walking their dog is going to either get bit trying to stop her or just like straight up beat her.
>>
How often do you get blood bites and non-blood bites from your dog?
>>
>>2088994
never, how often do you? sounds like you need to train your dog better.
>>
>>2088515
my dog was doing the same thing, making it into a game as well. this is going to trigger a lot of people, but I chased him down, caught him, and immediately spanked him on the rear each time he did it. After the second spanking, he never did it again, even when he had the opportunity. positive reinforcement is always the best choice, but negative reinforcement has it's place as well.
>>
>>2088990
Looks like lab or Chesapeake Bay Retriever mixed with a border collie or some other kind of sheepdog.
>>
>>2088990
What an interesting coat. Have more pictures of her?
>>
File: AJLg0b3.jpg (920 KB, 1494x2656) Image search: [Google]
AJLg0b3.jpg
920 KB, 1494x2656
>>2089010
its funny, I was kind of thinking the same thing, but when I google retriever border collie cross, none of them even look close. I'm sure its possible there's a lot of variation or she might not even be an F1 cross

>>2089015
sort of. I had thought the lighter bits around her shoulders were just leftover shed, but they don't come off
>>
>>2088515
Punishing him when you catch him probably won't be as effective as you hope because he will only associate you catching him with the punishment, not him running off. He won't know how to make that connection.

That said, unless you've got a remote shock collar on him or something, there's no way to effectively punish him WHEN he does it. And that's when a punishment needs to be given in order for it to be effective--WHEN the behavior happens, not several seconds, moments, minutes after.

It's obviously very important that your dog not run into the street. And really the way to do that is for him to feel more motivated to stay next to you rather than running off. So honestly I think positive reinforcement is your best bet.

I'd suggest practicing someplace safe where him running off won't be a danger to him. Drop the leash, positive reinforcement if/when he stays and doesn't run off (HIGH value rewards--you want him to know that staying by your side when you drop the leash is the most rewarding thing.) If he runs off, don't chase him, just walk the other way. Praise him when he returns to your side. Continue practice like this until he consistently isn't running off when you drop the leash. You want him to WANT to stay next to you. If he isn't motivated to run off, he won't.

Once he's consistently getting it right, you can start adding distractions and whatnot, continue practice until you're very confident he's got it down.

Also, train a reliable recall ("come") so that if he ever does end up running off, he will come back as soon as you call him. The way to get a reliable recall is again to make it very rewarding to come back to you. High value rewards, and in the beginning of training, use of a long line (so you can grab it and reel him in to enforce the command if he's not listening) will be helpful. Again, once he's got it down consistently, you gradually include distractions, different locations, etc.
>>
>>2089018
She's very cute! I do see lab in her, possibly Chesapeake. And border collie is probably in there somewhere too. It's hard to say for sure, though.
>>
do those high frequency anti-bark speakers work?
>>
>>2088990
definitely pitbull mix. possibly pit x rottweiler, maybe even a quarter pomeranian

i wish i had a more encyclopedic knowledge of dog breeds
>>
>>2087879
Eh, I just switched my dog from Purina Pro to Natural Balance. My issue with Dog Food Advisor is that its reviewers think that if their dog doesn't eat a certain food, it's a bad food. Each individual dog may do well on different foods, though.
>>
>>2089138
But any dog will eat Old Roy after it gets hungry.

People put too much money and effort into food.
>>
Do Thunder Jackets work? My dog gets absolutely terrified during fireworks/thunderstorms, shakes like crazy and I feel bad for her.
>>
>>2089187
maybe you could try playing rain sounds over your speakers and sort of accustom her to them

rainymood.com
>>
>>2089138
No, they think food with high grain content and all kinds of shit are bad, and they're right.
There are still plenty different brands and tastes and meat in their 5-star food.
>>
>>2089187
to add to this question, what's the best way to act when your dog's scared? i've read that comforting them is bad and i've also read that it's bad not to so i'm kind of lost.
>>
File: 1457690208802.jpg (37 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1457690208802.jpg
37 KB, 640x427
I think we as human beings have not only the pleasure but the moral obligation to take care of members of the Canis genus and take them in as our own.
For puppers are literally every bit as important to us as a species as the sense of sight, the handling of fire, the omnivorous metabolism.
We are what we are and we stand where we are because of many things that accompanied us along the way, and denying their importance is shitting on one own's identity. Dogs are amongst such things.

As soon as I can provide for them, I will take a pupper in and I will honor the ancient, undying alliance between man and dog that allowed my ancestors to build the future I stand on.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
Do I really need to walk my dog once a day? She runs around the yard like pic related all the time, or we'll play a long game of fetch. I feel like she isn't getting much excercise at my walking pace unless I go for an hour long walk or a run. She loves playing fetch and I have a big enough yard so that she can actually run around trying to get the ball
>>
>>2089414
Going new places is intellectually stimulating for dogs, and even in a familiar neighborhood there will be many new smells and stimuli each day. You may not need to walk her every day, but try to bring her out more often than not so she doesn't get bored or depressed
>>
Any experience with Belgian Mals?

He's two months old and his ears seems to be pretty big and too floppy, he had puppy mange recently and still has bald ears.

would it eventually stand up?
>>
I have a 9 month old dog. 2 days ago her vulva started to swell.The other dog that I have has always been attracted to her so him going after her is quite normal but she hasn't acted flirty since her vulva swelled. Anyway, I was playing with them both and without thinking i ran out to do an errand. After coming back 10 minutes later i saw them attached to each other. I was angry and I scared them. Four minutes later, they separated. My male dog is still going after her and insist of being next to her.I saw her bleed a bit for the first time since her vulva swelled.

This is a very stupid question, I know, but is the time span that they mated enough to get her pregnant? I was under the impression that normally they remain attached longer. If so, are there any contraceptives I can use for dogs? This happened four hours ago. Considering she just got in heat does that lower the chance of being pregnant.

For any possible contraceptives, what are the side effects they may pose? I've googled it but I can't find much on side effects and whether some would be better to use right after they mated.

I'm iffy about spaying and it's something i find a bit cruel so I'm hesitant to do it. Would spaying be possible seeing that she is in heat? Would spaying be a better option over contraceptives considering side effects? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
>>
File: 1453433133316.jpg (671 KB, 1350x900) Image search: [Google]
1453433133316.jpg
671 KB, 1350x900
>Recently quit job so have a lot of free time
>Have committed to getting pupper
>She is german shepherd/little bit of husky
>Plan on training her a lot, have seen my friend make the mistake of getting German Shepherd and pitbulls and then not training them
>I will obviously be spending a lot of time with her

I've owned pets most of my life but haven't had any in a couple years. I've researched a lot on training and am sold on clicker training and positive reinforcement methods.

My questions are: since I'll be able to spend a ton of my time with her at least for the first year, should I be wary of separation anxiety developing? How can I prevent it happening right from the get-go, just crate training?

What can I realistically expect from training within the first year with daily training sessions and runs+playing in the park? I have ample opportunity for socialising her, introducing her to new environments and people, etc. I don't plan to do any agility competition stuff, I just want a well-trained dog to hike and play with.

I know huskies are a difficult breed, her mum is the half husky and is absolutely amazing temperament and obedience-wise and fine off-leash. Having never met parents of previous pets in the past (mainly rescues), can I expect my dog's temperament to similarly reflect her parents' with the right nurturing environment? My main aim in general really is to be able to have her off-leash and not worry about her chasing dangerous snakes or other bullshit.

Sorry for the wall of text and poorly articulated questions, I just have a ton and am very excited to raise this pupper.
>>
File: 20160325_084242.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160325_084242.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
My dog had allergies something fierce. I give her benadryl, but I'd like to know if anyone else has grids issue and are there non drowsy antihistamines that are safe for canines and that work? Tried to show her swollen eyes in the picture, I'm confident it's an allergy to pollen because that's when this started.
>>
>>2089630
Separation anxiety isn't a huge deal, but exercise is the best deterrent of restless behavior. A tired puppy (if that exists) is a less chewing/ meter behaved puppy. If you are planning to create the dogs whole life this isn't am issue I guess, but I only crate puppies and my dogs get full run of the house once they're house broken.

In a year worth of training you should expect to have good command following with relatively good impulse/distraction control, depends on the dog as well as you.
>>
>>2089658
Swype is dumb. Better* Crate* an* instead of meter, create, and am
>>
File: 2016-03-27 16.20.29.jpg (251 KB, 466x872) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-27 16.20.29.jpg
251 KB, 466x872
I am confused about his breed can anyone identify
>>
>>2089664
White sheperd
>>
>>2089667
I am told that he is SAMOYED
>>
File: 20160311_125008.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160311_125008.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>2089667
He is now 5 months old weighs about 4kg
>>
>>2089664
What a soft looking belly. Does he have soft fur? Would scratch
>>
>>2085771
maybe a little jack russell in him too, that i can see
>>
>>2087323
i have met a few and they seem to be generally kind of mean. that and they dont have much personality
>>
>>2087345
taste of the wild or earthborn are some great brands ive had a lot of luck with. fed my beagle earthborn all through puppyhood and she is lean and strong, my catahoula pupper is now on it as well
>>
>>2087323
I wonder if sick memes have caused a surge in Shiba popularity, and because they are so difficult, they are getting abandon. Sort of like what happened after 101 Dalmatians.
>>
>>2089739
No he isn't mean
>>
File: 20160327_123049.jpg (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160327_123049.jpg
2 MB, 1080x1920
This bitch always jumps the fence when I let her out to pee whenever it's raining. I thought it was because she hated the rain at first, but now I think it's because she loves running around the neighborhood in the rain and wallowing in mud puddles. Guess I need to take her out out on a leash in my fenced in backyard if it's wet out.

Gotta give her a bath AGAIN, but she does look pretty cute all muddy and with clovers all over her snout.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.