[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hiya, /an/! I'm looking to start a career as a dog trainer,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: dog_training_los_angeles_841.jpg (288 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
dog_training_los_angeles_841.jpg
288 KB, 1200x900
Hiya, /an/!

I'm looking to start a career as a dog trainer, but I'm not entirely sure where to start. I know a lot about dogs; I watch youtube trainers like Zak George, read up on animal behavior, and spend a lot of time working with my own pets. I've even been hired by friends and family to work with their dogs on things like mild leash aggression and basic obedience. I taughtmy brothers cat to walk on a leash and jump through a hoop. I think I'm pretty familiar with the basics and theory behind dog trainj g, but i know that's still a pretty far cry from having the kind of knowledge I'd need to be a professional trainer.

So, fellow /an/imals, are any of you trainers? How did you get your start? Do you have any advice? I'm in the USA on the East Coast, if that makes a difference.

Right now I'm looking into CATCH trainers academy. Their curriculum seems to go in depth into canine behaviors, andnI like that they hook you up with a mentor trainer. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they legit, or just another correspondence-course scam?
>>
https://apdt.com/

Check out this, perhaps?

I have no idea about how good the American one of it is, but the APDT here is okay. Or, well, I know those registered with it are. There might be advice to be found on the site, or you may be able to link up with a local trainer for advice.
>>
I got trained through Petco and I've been teaching classes for 2 years now. Check your local petco or petsmart
>>
>get a whip/belt
>beat the shit out of it when it fucks up
>congratulations! You're now a dog trainer!
>>
>>2082852

Ah, thanks! I'm checking out the website and there's a ton of information there! I will definitely be reading through all their pages. I'm reading their page on certification now, and it's answering alot of my questions.

And, well, raising others. I now know that trainers aren't required to be certified. In people's experience, how important is it? Can I just attend conferences, study on my own, etc. and worry about certification later?
>>
>>2082857

Man, I've applied there like three times and haven't even gotten a call back... I don't know of it's just a really in demand job in my area, or if i just look bad on paper, but they haven't even given me a shot... I suspect I'm just bad at those stupid personality quizes they make you take when you apply.
>>
>>2082865
Dude go in and annoy the fuck out of the managers. Thats how I got the job. Show that you want it bro.
>>
>>2082871

(op here- just switching from tablet to laptop)
Yeah... You're right. I admit, I have a tendency to give up too easy when potential employers give me the cold shoulder. And I really, really hate those stupid personality quizzes, heh. I'll reapply and see where it leads. Are they fair to their employees? To be honest, I was attracted to the vocational schools because they give me the chance to be my own boss.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.