[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone ever bought live animals from supermarkets and kept
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
Has anyone ever bought live animals from supermarkets and kept them as pets? I feel bad for them due to their living environment and want to get some nice big fish for cheap.
>>
I'm sure thousands, perhaps millions of people have done it.

But by doing it, you're supporting the industry. You're giving the shopkeeper more money to get more fish and subject them to conditions you yourself feel are inadequate.

Moral grey area really.
>>
>>2081134
Are those snakeheads?
>>
has anyone here raised a lobster like Homer did in that episode of the Simpsons?
>>
>>2081183

>>2078950
>>
>>2081137
I'm pretty sure all the animals in the pic are sold as food.
>>
>>2081134
It is possible but with a few caveats...

1) check on the species before buying as many food fish get freaking HUGE and impossible to keep indoors. The fish on sale are market size, not necessarily adult size.

2) Due to crowded conditions and lack of care (bred to die!) they may not make it. Be prepared to acclimate carefully and quarantine all new fish.

3) Enjoy telling people you keep the same fish you eat for dinner... as a pet!
>>
>>2081134
J
>>
I almost did. The grocery store I shop at had these crazy huge loaches and were calling them mud fish. They were so big and cute. Also, I really like loaches. But considering that the things were between 6 and 8 inches long each, the size of aquarium I would need to keep fish that big healthy is what made me decide to not do it. They looked like massively overgrown dojo loaches and were totally adorable. I had to stare at them every time I bought groceries.
>>
>>2081213
Please read the OP.
>>
>>2081356
What? where was this?
>>
>>2081213

Yes, that's very obvious. Not sure what your point is.
>>
>>2081372
H Mart
>>
File: 1.jpg (32 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
32 KB, 460x276
JAPAN SO KAWAII

DESIGNER BREED PLS, BYB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ8Znj3LIms&t=5m
>>
I've kept crayfish, a tilapia and blue crabs from supermarkets and the next time I see them I'm planning on getting some eels.
>>
>>2081389
>fish are all the same generic stuff as the US
Not sure what I was expecting.

Also jesus christ the noises that poor dog makes at the end.
>>
There's a international grocery store near me that not only sells fish but frogs and turtles...
>>
>>2081950
Frogs are delicious, I never had the chance of trying turtle.
Don`t judge them.
>>
>>2081134
Half the stuff in that tank looks like a lacy act felony
>>
File: 1428734003673.jpg (30 KB, 354x360) Image search: [Google]
1428734003673.jpg
30 KB, 354x360
>>2081389
>mfw the kids are terrified of the spooky gaijiin
>>
File: oyster.jpg (34 KB, 600x393) Image search: [Google]
oyster.jpg
34 KB, 600x393
I once put an oyster from the fish department of our super market into my reeftank
>>
>>2081134
I bought some snails and they all died within a week
>>
>>2082334
Let me guess, the rest of your tank bit the dust within 48 hours because you didn't quarantine it first?
>>
>>2081148
yep, channa lucius.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.