[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apartment-dogs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: 664915.jpg (195 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
664915.jpg
195 KB, 1600x1200
So I live in a dorm-apartment and I really miss my furry friend back at home, so after reading some of the shitty articles about dogs in apartments I've found out that the best dog for me and my apartment would be either a Pug, Bulldog or Greyhound. Thoughts?
>>
>>2080900
How much money do you have? Bulldogs cost 8 grand out the gate because they are delivered via c section, and structurally unhealthy. Pugs are even worse because there are more shitty breeders. They are one of the very few breeds that get genetic health issues under a year old and it's not rare. Both are physically incapable of a lot of activity, and usually friendly and goofy dogs

It's the retired racers that are good apartment dogs, otherwise greyhounds are just as good as other dogs in apts. They are notorious for having a high prey drive (chasing and killing small animals) and may need some basic training when you get them. They can also be aloof.
>>
>>2080900

I'd recommend maybe an older dog that doesn't need a lot of exercise and isn't too noisy. Have you thought about adopting from a rescue? They tend to be familiar with the temperament of the dog.
>>
>>2080991
I live in Norway, and there's not a single shelter or anything close by
>>2080974
money isnt really a problem, also I doubt any greyhounds here have ever been racers
>>
>>2081266
Take a god you will love, for me it woukd be a pug, and if i had loads of space, with garden i woukd get a lab
>>
Ex-racing greyhounds are generally very chill dogbros - one walk a day and happy to sleep the rest of it - they're used to being in Kennels 22-out-of-24 hours. Usually clean and dry indoors, don't shed much and walk well on a lead.
Downsides are - zero road sense, too laid back and not needy enough for people who have dogs because they're too emotionally insecure to have human friends. Some will have been abused in their racing career and be super-neurotic.
Adopt from a proper rehoming kennel who does home trials.
Pugs and bulldogs are ugly, expensive shit-tier drooling asthmatic mutants who exist to make vets very, very rich at your expense. Just. Fucking. Don't.
>>
>>2080900
greyhounds all the way man, my first dog was lab cross grey and my latest is a greyhound rescue, shes only 2 and wasnt used in the races because she was too slow.

Greyhounds are so friendly and very quirky. they dont really need much exercise but the do like an open space to run. preferably somewhere fenced because training them ive found is a little difficult but im sure you could do it. the most expensive thing about a greyhound is probably the bed and pyjamas/coats for when its cold.

desu greyhounds are one of the best companion dogs because they always listen to what your saying and love company.

the only problem ive had with mine is if you woke her up or touched/moved het when she slept or tried to sleep she growled/got snappy. but thats seemed to have worn off after about 6-7months.

plus greyhounds look fantastic, theyre a very attractive dog and people dont see them thay often as pets so theyre always interested to approach you and your dog which is nice. but old ladies seem to fear mine because they have small white fluffy dogs and i dont need a muzzle or anything like that because shes registered or something by the government and proven that she doesnt need a muzzle, so maybe check out local rules to owning a greyhound beforehand
>>
>>2082023
pic related is my greyhound

most are fine with cats aswell. when we first got her we had (still do) a 17 year old cat and now just rescued a kitten from a nearby natural reserve and shes been very well behaved around them both
>>
>>2082025
nice hound

where did you adopt him exactly? i want to just look at some potential greyhounds in my area and am having difficulty. did you go to a special facility that deals with greyhound adoption or did you just go to a shelter? does he like to cuddle? does he make you feel loved? ;_;
>>
File: Autism-4 copy.jpg (120 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
Autism-4 copy.jpg
120 KB, 360x360
>>2082025

... Wait a minute
>>
>>2081266
There's only 4 countries with exceptionally low stray/feral/homeless animal population, and Norway is not one of them.
>>
File: IMG_8571.jpg (279 KB, 1296x864) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8571.jpg
279 KB, 1296x864
>>2082023
>>2082025
Hey! I've been considering getting a greyhound because I love sleek dogs and also the ones I've been around are hilarious. I already have a chihuahua, though, and I've heard they have a high prey drive.

You say yours is fine around cats, but how is she around small dogs? Have you ever had issues with her being snappy/aggressive with other dogs?
>>
>>2081278
Allah
>hu ackbar
>>
>>2082026
We adopted her from some small business in Australia. something like 'greyhound new beginnings' or something like that, search around for greyhound specific shelters/rescues so they can find the right one for you. and yes very much so for those last 2 questions.

>>2082057
ty

>>2082068
lmao, now ill never not see that

>>2082144
she hasnt been around too many small dogs, but when she is around small dogs or just cats that she doesnt know, she'll do some threatening stance directly over them and give them a little nip on the back sometimes, because she wants to play/chase something. she did this to my first cat but since hes old he just ignored her or gave her a swipe. but we just kept an eye on them for a while making sure she doesnt do it and it she lost interest in a week or two.

and shes very pantient with the new kitten, she did the same thing at first but stopped soon after. and even puts up with the kitten randomly attacking her while she sleeps/rests, and she does play with tje kitten when shes in the mood. but we have to stop her when she gets too excited because she does this leap/stomp thing when she gets too excited and if she landed on the kitten shed proably kill her. but we leave them alone in the house together when we go out and theres no troubles now.

id say aslong as there is a spot the little dog can hide/feel safe youll be fine after a week or two of supervision
>>
Is an apartment good enough for a corgi?
>>
>I miss my dog back home so I want to replace it
>>
>>2082747
Yes as long as you give her a ton of mental exercise and physical exercise. I'm about to get one in an apartment and I just learned that I can bring him to work with me
>>
>>2080900
>Pug, Bulldog

no and no. why do you think you need a "breed" of dog by the way?

just get a mutt. they are the best dogs. you don't want a greyhound either

supporting the breeding/sale of inviable critters like bulldogs and pugs is morally wrong and robs shelter/pound dogs at their chance at life.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.