[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Red Heeler training tips?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 10
File: Screenshot_20160313-095259~2.jpg (458 KB, 1074x1073) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160313-095259~2.jpg
458 KB, 1074x1073
I know a lot of you on here dont believe in hitting your dog. I trained my terrier that way, but I'm positive that's not going to go over too well with my red heeler. She's too tough, she thinks we're playing when I try to punish her. To actually get the point across I feel like I would actually do physical damage. Pls halp pls forgive me for hitting my other doge
>>
I read put them in a crate as time out but I also read not to use a crate as punishment? She has problems with playful biting and chewing on things she shouldn't, but mostly at my boyfriend's house. At my house she seems to have less issues. Not sure why this could be
>>
File: Troublemakers.jpg (73 KB, 599x799) Image search: [Google]
Troublemakers.jpg
73 KB, 599x799
I grew up with heelers. So let me just say, Ha ha! You fucking sucker!

Heelers are stupid high energy to begin with. Even as adults, they're hell on wheels and need several jobs and responsibilities to stay sane. If they get bored (which happens easily), they will destroy everything you love.

You don't have that though. You have a very young heeler. I am seriously laughing at you right now. I am so sorry. You have at least a year of terror ahead of you.

Heelers are way smarter than most other dogs. Don't hit your dog. They remember. It wont get you the results you want either.

For the biting thing. This may or may not ever stop. I've had heelers that understood to not bite people ever and then I had one extreme dork who was convinced that he needed to have his mouth around peoples' hands at all time (but just learned to never apply pressure). Heelers are extremely mouthy dogs. That's what they've been bred for.

The number one thing heelers hate is to be ignored. But don't do it for long because it takes all of 3 seconds for them to decide to jump on your kitchen counter and feed butter to your hamster or some other ridiculous thing.

When your dog bites you too hard, yelp, pull away, look super offended and get up and walk away. But come back quickly or else your dog will have climbed the tree in your back yard and brought your favorite shoes with her.

Also, just keep shoving things in her mouth that she's allowed to chew on. Don't stop. Anytime she gets bitey, shove a bone in there. Or a jerky treat, or a fucking towel. Whatever. Decide all the things she's allowed to destroy and keep shit tons of it on hand.

Pic totally related. I left them alone for less than a minute to find them eating the cat food. The one on the left was my tard face that just had to have my hand in his mouth at all times.
>>
>>2080720
>I read put them in a crate as time out but I also read not to use a crate as punishment
When my dog was a puppy, sometimes he'd get stupidly crazy. Like he'd be awake for three hours, and then suddenly go insane trying to ruin anything he found, start getting the zoomies and tearing up the house, etc. I figured out it was because he was overstimulated/overtired. I'd pop him in the crate and cover it and stay quiet for a bit, and within thirty seconds he'd drop.
>She has problems with playful biting and chewing on things she shouldn't, but mostly at my boyfriend's house. At my house she seems to have less issues.
This is probably because all the things at your house are familiar to her, and so they're a little less interesting. The things at your boyfriend's house smell different and are new! She wants to interact with everything. Bring along a toy JUST for the boyfriend's house that she can gnaw on.
>>
>>2081376
She's still a lil puppy and not exactly hell on wheels right now. She'll only get better right?
>>
From about 6 months to a year they are horrible chew monsters. From about a year and a half to 2 years, they know exactly what you want but they wont do it because they don't want to. After that, if you have actually managed to train them to have a job or 5 and if you've at least taught them the concept of manners, then they're awesome but insanely high energy.
>>
>>2080716
I want to see more pictures of your spastic dog
>>
File: IMG_20160318_150839.jpg (3 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160318_150839.jpg
3 MB, 3024x4032
>>2083982
Thanks
>>
File: IMG_20160314_173506.jpg (4 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160314_173506.jpg
4 MB, 3024x4032
>>2083982
She tried to jump off that rock under the one she's on in the pic like 5 secs after I took this. Got rekt and did not care. Scared the crap out of me tho
>>
File: IMG_20160222_090133.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160222_090133.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>2083982
My angel
>>
>>2084406
I swear to god they're made out of rubber. Especially when they're young. They will bounce and tumble and not care at all.

My first heeler was constantly up in my grandma's crab apple tree. The lowest part of the tree that she could jump out of was about 8 feet off the ground. Most of the time she would hurl herself off of the tree just fine but sometimes she would tumble out like a total klutz. She loved that freaking tree. She could see the whole ranch from the top of that tree.
>>
File: PupsinthePond.jpg (160 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
PupsinthePond.jpg
160 KB, 800x600
These dorks are brother and sister
>>
File: jack.jpg (129 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
jack.jpg
129 KB, 800x450
>>2084429
My adorkable tard face
>>
>>2084429
You're dog's awesome. She looks utterly rediculous in all the best ways. If both of you manage to survive her terrible 2s, you're going to have the world's best dog. The thing that I love about heelers is that they stick to you like glue and they are amazingly intelligent and goofy. So long as you can get past their insane puppyhood, they're great.
>>
>>2084444
>>2084438
<33
>>
>>2084446
She is such a good dog right now at 4 months. I've been home with her since I got her a couple weeks ago, but will be starting work again soon and I'm nervous:(
>>
File: 2016-02-18 07.41.07 1.jpg (4 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-18 07.41.07 1.jpg
4 MB, 2592x1936
>>2080716
Best dogs, I'll dump some pics of mine.
>>
File: 2016-01-25 11.51.59 1.jpg (3 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-25 11.51.59 1.jpg
3 MB, 2592x1936
Ps I've never hit mine. She is pretty good, I just find redirection and scolding her works well. Because the form such a bond, they feel the pain when you are grumpy at them.

Her with a friend.
>>
File: 20160216_154255-1.jpg (3 MB, 2487x2011) Image search: [Google]
20160216_154255-1.jpg
3 MB, 2487x2011
Sounds like I got a pretty decent one compared to others. She was left out in the sun tied to a stick when she was a puppy before I rescued her. She's mixed with a Collie, pretty common mix in Australia.
>>
>>2084572
The crate works but try not to over use it. So that's an idea for when you're at work. Another thing I do with mine is boarding. Mine got a weekly overnight at this awesome farm/doggy daycare/herding trainer. I would drop them off Tuesday morning on my way to work and pick them up Wednesday after I got off work. They had herding classes while I was at work on Tuesdays. It was great. I got a night off, they would just about lose their minds with excitement on the drive to the farm Tuesdays and I would get them back on Wednesday totally worn out and content. They got that for about a couple years, which is how long it took them to learn to be good farm dogs and that it's not ok to eat the chickens. There was one chicken incident but that was the only time. And they're sensitive enough that they totally got it when I saw the dead chickens and got super sad. Never killed any livestock after that one time.

Seriously high energy though. The trainer that I boarded my dogs with used my dogs to wear out the other dogs at her doggy daycare. She rotated mine through all the pens whenever they weren't in classes or taking walks.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.