[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kitty has ear mites
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1431849599099.jpg (54 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1431849599099.jpg
54 KB, 640x640
I suspect my cat has ear mites since she's tilting and scratching a lot, and has black debris all around her ears. The problem is, she won't let me get close enough to administer any treatment. If I try to touch her ears, she pulls away. If I try to hold her in place, she squirms out of my arms and finds a place to hide. The only plausible way I could treat her is if she were sedated first, and I really don't want to do that.

I thought about taking her to a vet and letting them treat the mites, but they're going to change me an outrageous amount just for the visit. You can't simply walk into the vet's office here, say you need a quick application of eat drops, and leave. They'll insist on doing a physical before they'll agree to treat anything, and for that they'll charge somewhere in the area of $100 alone. To get the ear drops through the vet and have them apply them in office would run me another $100 easily.

Does /an/ have any other ideas? Maybe someone here has experience dealing with evasive cats who have needed ear mite treatments before.
>>
get her in the bathroom and try in there
>>
It's almost like a vet can't legally prescribe medication without a doctor-patient relationship and would want to actually find out if your cat really has ear mites and not one of the several other things that could cause itchy ears full of debris! Those weird terrible vets and not wanting to just treat things blindly ha! ha!
>>
Just go to the vet.

The vet will ensure the correct diagnoses, prescribe the correct medicine, and show you how to treat. You won't need to sedate. They will show you the correct techniques for restraint and easy access to the ears.

If you do grab her, please whatever you do, do not put anything down her ear canal thinking you are helping to clean it out. You will just be shoving the mites down and causing a blockage, creating more problems.

Sometimes vet clinics will have vet nurse hours, where you can just go see the vet nurse. You can even call them and ask if you can see the nurse. Should be cheaper and the nurse will show you correct techniques
>>
>>2080092
If you went to the vet regularly and kept her utd with legally required shots, it wouldn't cost you so much money. But hey, having a pet isn't cheap. It will get worse when she gets hematoma and needs surgery, or be permanently deformed.
>>
Put a towel over your cat and wrap him up like a burrito with his head sticking out. Then, when he is immobilized, administer the treatment
>>
>>
>>2080092
if vet is too expensive dont get a fucking pet
>>
>You can't simply walk into the vet's office here, say you need a quick application of eat drops, and leave.
You mean just like everywhere else?
>>
>>2080092
I don't know what the hell sort of vet you go to, but mine would frequently wave the charge of a quick check up if they found nothing wrong. Never dealt with ear mites, but skin mites in my rat set me back about £20. This wasn't some shitty local vet either. Suck it up and take her before the problem gets worse and costs you even more to fix.
>>
Wrap her in a towel then do it so it's harder for her to move.
Do it while she sleeps.
Get someone else to put them in while you hold her down.
Not that hard.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.