[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever saved an animal from a miserable life or certain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: Dog-rescue.jpg (153 KB, 1196x800) Image search: [Google]
Dog-rescue.jpg
153 KB, 1196x800
Have you ever saved an animal from a miserable life or certain death?
Tell me heartwarming stories.
>>
>>2079605

I was out running one day, and I found a kitten under a bridge. He was a little dirty and had what looked like a slightly prolapsed anus. I ended up giving him to a friend whose ex-roommate was looking for a kitten. He is now living comfily with a Great Pyrenees.
>>
>>2079615
Not a life-or death story, but I guess it's close enough in my case. I live in a neighborhood full of minorities that don't know how to care for dogs, so I might have to call animal control on a couple of puppies on the balcony of a seemingly abandoned apartment.
>>
File: bumbnbeans.jpg (714 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
bumbnbeans.jpg
714 KB, 1000x667
>>2079605

I've told Bumby's story a few times here

His shelter name was Patches. He was surrendered as an older kitten, 6 months old maybe. The shelter separated cats that have had URIs from cats that haven't, and he was the only cat that had had a URI so he was all alone in a kitty cottage in the back of the shelter.

I was a volunteer. Most of the volunteers didn't like him because he wasn't interested in being pet, he only wanted to play rough. Most of the cat volunteers are old retirees, who like the senior cats. So, he basically didn't get any attention.

he was there for a month, and then he was adopted by an old lady. He's very pretty and soft, so I can see why an old lady would want him even after being warned that he isn't a good personality fit. He attacked her while she was watching wheel of fortune and sent her to the hospital. She returned him to the shelter.

He was there for another few months while they tried to find a home for him. His kennel now had a warning posted on it that he had a history of attacking owners. I got very attached to him, but couldn't adopt him because I have too many cats. One day while volunteering I told him "I think you're my cat, but we just haven't figured it out yet"

He got adopted by a family with 2 kids around 8-10. After a week, he was returned for attacking the father and putting him in the hospital. After he was returned this time, they put him on the "needs rescue" list, which means he's unadoptable and will be put down unless a rescue takes him. I was on this e-mail list, and contacted a rescue to pull him for me.

His death row cage was so small, he could barely turn around. When he saw me he put his paw out of the cage and cried until we put him in the box.

3 years later, he is my perfect little prince. He attacked me once in the first week we had him, but we were able to work with him. Now he's spoiled rotten and I couldn't imagine my life without him.
>>
>>2079619
That's quite a story, and I'm glad you're happy with him! Was his "attacking" just playing rough, brought on by something, or completely unprovoked?
>>
When I was about 14 I found fledgling pigeon waddling around in a graveyard, so I took it home and raised it for 3 years, let him live in our barn until he buggered off one day.

Probably dead now.
>>
>>2079621

I really don't know. Overall, most of his bad behavior was due to being overly playful. He's 3-5 now and he still has the energy of a kitten and loves to pal around with my other cats all day.

However, the time that he attacked me, I don't think it was playing rough. It reminded me of predatory drift in dogs. He just got very focused and his whole body language changed. He got that way a few more times, but I let him know that that behavior would not be acceptable before he had a chance to strike, and he never did it again.
>>
We went to adopt a dog from the local shelter. The significant other previously owned a pit and a german shepherd, so when they saw an older pit in there, they opted for him. I wanted a different dg, looked like a lab mix, but I gave in and let them have their dog.

The story behind our new adoptee was that he was from a hoarding case which included several sisters (all who were put down due to their aggressiveness) and other animals. The dog had been i the shelter for 10 months since he was evidence and non-aggressive. I think he was an outide dog due to his aversion to going outside even to use the restroom; spends no time lollygagging out there.

So far so good, it's been 3 years and he's a gentle giant. We adopted a kitten arund the same time and she had a litter of 4; he is sweet to all of them, and they all sleep with and love up on him. At times yu can see when he just wants to be left alone, but he still tolerates their loves.

Here's a video of him with one of my parent's dogs when they came to visit. H's been amazing with all dogs he's encountered. He gets way too spastic for a bit, but then loses interest. I'd post an image or two, but sadly all the good ones are on the SO's broken phone and I've yet to take any with their new phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK9xIe9IkN4

Excuse me for the typs, some keys on the keyboard are going out it seems.
>>
>>2079634

10/10

would best friend
>>
File: IMAG0916.jpg (762 KB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0916.jpg
762 KB, 2688x1520
I took this guy's hamster from him after I found its cage outside with no bedding, water, or food in 95 degree heat. The thing drank water for fifteen minutes straight when I got it home. He was an angry little biter for a few weeks but now we're friends. I didn't particularly want a hamster but he's really easy to care for and will die soon anyway.
>>
There's a hidden curve in the dirt road in front of our house, and one day when my siblings and I were walking our dogs, we found a white lad mix puppy whimpering in the brush next to the curve. He was covered with ticks and fleas, which took awhile to clean off of him, then we took him to a vet and got him checked out, wormed, etc. We would have kept him but the alpha of our two dogs was treating him pretty badly, so after a few weeks, we found him a home with a lovely elderly couple who would pamper him. No more cold ditches for Buddy, just couches and treats.
>>
Jumped into a river to save a box turtle my brother tossed into it.
Saved countless snakes from my family members.
Saved all sorts of turtles from becoming roadkill.
Fought off a neighbors pitbull from some stray kitten.
Saved neighbors chihuahua from alligator that crawled up underneath their car.
>>
>>2079650
>Jumped into a river to save a box turtle my brother tossed into it.
>That's a Jeb, not a tortoise, he can't swim!
>>
I have too many to list but a notable one would be getting into a brawl with some other teens who were trying to light a huge snapping turtle who was just trying to lay her eggs on fire. I got pretty fucked up but I smashed this other kids face in with a rock. This old dude came over and broke it up and I hauled this very angry, heavy turtle about an hour into the woods to this 'secret' lake and let it go.

It's a shame because the park where it was trying to lay in used to have a much cleaner Creek and the town used to put an effort into letting the turtles lay in peace. Before they replaced the sand with woodchips, after most of the turtles laid they would build a huge fence around it to keep people out until they hatched.
>>
>>2079666
Teenagers are the worst of humanity, thanks for not perpetuating the stariotype of shittyness
>>
Found some kittens that were abandoned by their mother at birth. I took a lot of work and a lot of waking up every two hours but I raised them both to adulthood.

Right now I have a queen who is about to give birth any day now. She use to be someone's pet and was abandoned, and seeing how she is now pregnant I am taking her in and going to get her and her babies taken care of as soon as possible.
>>
I've hand raised dozens of orphaned kittens from one to two weeks old till they were adopted around 4-6 months old.

Feeding kittens formula every two hours. Then wiping their butts till they pee and poo. Having to bathe them when they mess them selves. Separating the kittens that won't stop trying to suck on their brothers and sister's private parts. Turning the heating pad on every hour. Making sure the towels they are living in are covering them.
>>
I have a rabbit because the lady who owned him was going to snap his neck if I didn't take him. She only hesitated because her kids were attached. He's a really sweet animal, loves people and other pets, gets on really well with children.
>>
>>2079617
might? uh...
>>
>>2079721

I wasn't sure if anyone lived there or not; there are no blinds and no lights on. The pups went inside, so it looks like someone lives there.
>>
File: germanwirehairedpointer.jpg (42 KB, 400x336) Image search: [Google]
germanwirehairedpointer.jpg
42 KB, 400x336
>>2079605
I just let my dog go. He had cancer, and how his condition degenerated, it was all within a month. All was fine, he was fine, sprite, running around, but suddenly he didnt want to run around.
I knew something was wrong, and took him to a vet.
Vet said his red blood cells were low, but otherwise he was fine.
A week later my boys eye was swollen to twice its normal size, as well as his both testicles. I tried to get a time for a vet, but I already knew what was going on.
When the time finally came, the vet was sure about aggressive cancer...
I took him out to a hike, to a place where I finally found a patch of thawed ground, and shot him.

Now I am looking for another pointer.
And I feel guilty for not feeling bad...
>>
>>2079670
Even as a teenager, I hated teenagers. I thought it was just a 'teenager' think to hate other teenagers, but now I'm old and I still hate teenagers.
>>
>>2079734
who cares if someone lives there? if they're being neglected, it shouldn't matter whether someone is "there" or not
>>
There is a whole youtube channel where all they have are videos based on this.

Sad music and rescuing homeless puppers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRBmSqyS__A
>>
I once heard one of the neighbour's dogs whining, so I jumped the fence. It had gotten its collar stuck in their patio and was pretty agitated, so I calmed it down then freed it.

That's not exactly life and death, though.
>>
One day I was walking down the street. I found this poor dog lying down almost dead. He was visibly sick and had fleas. I gave him some of my hotdog. I then stabbed him to death with a piece of glass. 10/10 would stab again
>>
>>2079746
Everyone hates teenagers.
>>
This isn't my story but it is my dad's when he saved my cat. So my dad's old job had three cats inside the work building. My dad used to work inside a rifle part producing building. The company was owned by a married couple, tje cats were my dad's boss's wife. They kept two of the cats inside the customer service lobby to entertain the guests and one of them liked to sleep inside the gun closet or interact with the workers on their lunch break in the kitchen.

When the couple got divorced, my dad's shithead boss fought in court to keep the cats. He won them, but my dad, knowing his boss, knew he did it just to spite the ex wife because he didn't care about animald at all. When he remarried, he asked some workers to take the cats and throw them off the side of the freeway. Luckily, the exwife snuck in and took the two lobby kitties but she couldn't get in to get the other cat. So, my dad's boss came up to my dad and asked him to do the killing task. My dad quietly accepted and came back from his night shift at 2 am with the cat.

She used to be overweight, despite having a diet food. I began giving her smaller amounts of normal dry food with wet food and letting her run around in my backyard or in my living room with a laser pointer and now she is at a normal weight. She is very spoiled and she used to love my dad so much since she already knew him. When he passed away, she went into depression and she lost so much weight and only wanted to lay on his bed or on top of his car. She eventually got back to normal weight and back to being her old self.
>>
>>2079833
>tje cats were my dad's boss's wife
h-he was married to the cat??
>>
File: 1451057823298.png (577 KB, 720x883) Image search: [Google]
1451057823298.png
577 KB, 720x883
>>2079833
>takes cats away from someone who would otherwise have taken care of them
>and then asks other people to kill them for him
Holy shit what a fucking faggot, god damn.
>>
>>2079619
I could understand putting an old lady in the hospitable even if it seemed rather unlikely but putting two people in the hospital? Especially when one of them is a fully grown man probably under the age of 50. How does a cat put a grown ass man in the hospital, did it have a history of just attacking eyes or what?
>>
i found an orphaned baby robin and fed him baby food for a couple of months.. happy pat learned to fly and came when he was called and then some piece of shit cat killed him
>>
>>2080020
Cats fangs puncture more easily and usually do more damage than dogs because they can get so agressive. Most dogs only do warning bites, but cats can be more wild/honery and really sink their teeth in. Couple this with the fact that cats tend to have more dangerous bacteria in their saliva and you definitely have to go to the doctor to get the wound flushed out and get antibiotics.
>>
>>2080020

I'm the owner of Bumby

For the old woman, I'm assuming it was that she was caught off guard and too old to handle the situation.

For the dad, the story I was told is that the kids had been playing with him at night, and it was time to settle down, and whatever the dad did to try and settle him down he got attacked.

We think that whoever had him for his first 6 months probably played games with their hands and never taught him to play nice, and then didn't know what to do when he turned out to be giant and full of energy.

Hes really not the most domesticated cat, so I could see how it could happen.
>>
>>2079605
saved 2 puppies from a dumpster but had to give them to a no-kill shelter because they each needed $5,000 hip surgeries.
>>
I saved a dragonfly from a spiderweb and had it perched on my shoulder until it was ready to fly again
>>
my dog, trine, once saved one of my kittens
basically we had guests who brought their lab, who ate kittens. Even bit off the tip of another kittens tail.
The lab had the kitten towards a wall where it couldnt escape. This is where trine jumped between them. Kept the lab away while we got the kitten out.
trine had also on several occasions adopted kittens as her puppies
>>
I found a poor homeless animal and gave it a home :)

A botfly maggot, to be exact.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.