[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just what in the fuck do you think they are /an/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: dendrogramma.jpg (8 KB, 215x234) Image search: [Google]
dendrogramma.jpg
8 KB, 215x234
Say hello to Dendrogramma, a 3mm long god knows what fished up from the sea round Australia touted as everything from an advanced, sting less jellyfish to the last living Ediacaran.

What does /an/ think it is?
>>
Food.
>>
>>2079421
china pls leave
>>
>>2079421

>3mm
>food

Unless you can farm a lot of them to eat them as rice or something you are fucked.
>>
>>2079409
>Dendrogramma
Fuck, I totally forgot about those. Thanks for reminding me, m8
>>
>>2079428

I don't think I said anything about it necessarily being a very satisfying meal.
>>
File: 1395857737170.jpg (107 KB, 589x613) Image search: [Google]
1395857737170.jpg
107 KB, 589x613
>>2079409

nice TOO FUCKING SMALL PIC bro
>>
>>2079409
At the very least if you insist on following me around at all times do something useful with yourself.
>>
>>2079467
the full size image exceeds the file limit you sperg
>>
It's probably not Ediacaran. For one thing, it'd imply a fossil gap of oh... 540 million years? We don't have a single potential intermediate between Avalon and Dendrogramma. At least we had Coelacanth fossils, we don't have shit for evidence suggesting anything from the Ediacara survived into the Cambrian much less modern times. The study that first reported on the specimen here: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0102976

doesn't base its argument for Ediacara affinity on much beyond the radiating canals-in-a-disc structure that dendrogramma shares with certain potential Ediacaran specimens (though they could just as easily be metazoans... which would make Dendrogramma metazoan supposing the relationship held) and the depth the specimens were found.

Not a very strong argument, and the authors of the study don't devote much time to speculating about that, more interested in its relationship to the Ctenophores and Cnidaria.

And it could very well just be a juvenile sea pansy too. The thing was preserved in formaldehyde and ethanol for 20+ years, it'll take another specimen to get any sort of DNA off of it.
>>
File: Sm_Cherubim.jpg (11 KB, 336x229) Image search: [Google]
Sm_Cherubim.jpg
11 KB, 336x229
>>2079409
thats a turtle dick, m8
>>
I wanna fuck that.
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 320x240
>>2079627
>18 specimens dredged up from the sea floor in 1986
>no specimens ever found anywhere since
>even the same site yielded nothing in 1988
>not even identified until a house cleaning in 2014

mfw they might have wiped out the last survivors of the Ediacaran epoch and we almost never heard about it
>>
>>2079409
It's clearly a mutated shiitake mushroom.
>>
>>2079662
>3 mm in size

That's quite the microdick you have there
>>
>>2079846
>Insert Evil Laughter.
>>
>>2079613
He's not sperging, it's pretty annoying that I can't read any of the text on that image. next time just use an editing program to make it smaller or lower res, or just include a link to the image
>>
>>2081181
>doesn't know there's an image search button on the post menu button
>doesn't know the original is less than three seconds away
welcome to 4chan, friend. If there's anything you'd like help learning to do just take a moment to read our FAQ's and such.
>>
>>2079409

Fuck yes I've been waiting for one of these threads. It's most likely a sister group to cnidarians, although the superficial similarities to certain ediacaran biota is intriguing and if we find more of these guys, it warrants further attention. It's a shame the DNA is too damaged to gather any information from. What does /an/ think of the possibility that this is some as of yet unseen larval stage of an already known deep sea organism?
>>
>>2079846
if anything ediacaran survived to the present it would for one thing prove that ediacarans were indeed an independent branch of the tree of life rather than the ancestors to the metazoans or lichens or whatever and it would also throw 600 million years of HGT between surviving ediacarans and metazoans into the works thus fucking up everyone and their mother's phylogenetic trees
>>
>>2081223
>it would for one thing prove that ediacarans were indeed an independent branch of the tree of life rather than the ancestors to the metazoans
sounds like a replacement model of evolution there.

>if metazoans evolved from ediacarans, why are there still ediacarans?
>checkmate, atheists
>>
File: 1450260558573.png (65 KB, 285x276) Image search: [Google]
1450260558573.png
65 KB, 285x276
>you'll never explore the Ediacaran seas and see a truly alien earth

Who else hates time? I feel like I miss out. I just want to watch life's evolution in person back and forth at will.
>>
Fish
>>
>>2081223
no you retard it just means ediacarans were basal metazoans and not an independent kingdom.
>>
>/an/ doesn't recognize a baby Vileplume.

we grass/poison/water now.
>>
>>2082296
>oddish
>mushroom

even when you try to be funny you fail bugguy
>>
>>2081241
An entire planet of nothing but algae and red tide. What's not to like?
>>
File: fuck off.jpg (34 KB, 356x604) Image search: [Google]
fuck off.jpg
34 KB, 356x604
>>2082296
>>
>>2082498

There was way more than that anon look up ediacaran biota
>>
>>2082498
the ediacaran is actually quite interesting. You see what look like the tentative beginning of life that is alive today. you see primitive protostomes and deuterostomes, possible mollusks, annelids, and arthropods.

Then you have the completely off the wall bags, discs, toriods and quilted organisms which we know fuck all about.
>>
an abomination
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.