[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi an. I recently moved from a rural setting to a city apartment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1456600578156.jpg (139 KB, 736x547) Image search: [Google]
1456600578156.jpg
139 KB, 736x547
Hi an. I recently moved from a rural setting to a city apartment complex. Where i lived before was kind of trashy: illegals and white trash. They didnt keep their dogs contained and they were often allowed to roam, taunt my dogs at the fence, etc. If they were injured they were left to limp and behave aggressively towards me and my dogs on walks.
So suffice to say: mine are not socialized to unfamiliar pet dogs. They do fine in a park setting or indoors with other dogs, but they are reactive to passing dogs.

Today there was a spaniel on a flexi lead. My small dog barked and ran at her, then as i went to pull her away my large lab grabbed onto the spaniel. He did not shake or pull or growl, only held tight to the spaniel.
She had no puncture wounds or blood after getting them apart.

How should i best go about preventing this from happening again? I need to lower their reactivity to other dogs, and ensure the lab does not ever behave in such a way again. He is not as reactive, but the small dog riles him.
>>
>>2076936

You should muzzle your dog during walks while you are working on this. It would suck to have something serious happen to where you have to put your dog down.
>>
remove moldhorse
>>
>>2076949
Yeah, was considering buying a basket muzzle.
Thats only a bandaid though, not a solution.
>>
>>2076955
While the dogs are muzzled, bring them around other dogs, preferably really calm, patient ones. Let them be around other dogs so they can know that they don't have to freak out or misbehave. Once they are acquainted, walk them near the dog but don't wait for them to interact. Complete your walk while the dog is still there. Use a command like "leave it" or "heel" and say it as your dogs walk by the distraction (the other dog). When they behave appropriately, give them treats.
>>
>>2076955
Actually, I've found that some dogs dial it WAY back once they discover they can't bite. Like it takes the wind from their sails. It's worth a try because, regardless of whatever else you do in the way of training, you NEED to keep your aggressive dog from hurting other animals.
>>
>>2076936
/out/ here. That is a very nice patina on that horse. What did you use?
Mustard? Vinegar?
I'm looking to put a similar patina on my Mora.
>>
>>2076936
>that pattern
bit triggered
>>
File: moldy bread horse.png (495 KB, 610x621) Image search: [Google]
moldy bread horse.png
495 KB, 610x621
>>2076936
>>
keep your unsocialized dogs on a leash.
>>
>>2077098
They were...
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.