[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you know a trick to get your cat to take medicine? At the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
Do you know a trick to get your cat to take medicine? At the moment I have to hold the thing and shoot up the stuff up it's throat, but it's a fight every time. If I give it into it's food it won't touch it.
>>
Hard to deal with these guys and giving meds. My cat was very stubborn about it and even when we could get it inside him, he'd barf. Cats can be so spiteful!
It's not a pretty alternative, but is it something that could possibly be administered anally? I know it's less fun, i just know the butt is going to fight a whole lot less than the mouth and it can't throw it back up. Just something to consider! Best of luck
>>
Tablets or paste? I've always just found it easier to get paste form if possible and squirt it in the side of their mouth. Cats can't spit so if it's stuck to the tongue they need to swallow. For tablets I need to restrain them, put it at the back of their tongue and hold their mouth closed. I've yet to find any easy way to give an aggressive cat tablets when they won't eat.
>>
You can take your cats prescription to a compounding pharmacist and have them make it into a dermal gel that will absorb directly through the skin. Just rub the measured amount onto the cat's ear. I did this for my cat when he was old and rickety. I didn't want to fight him to get this meds every day since he was such an old man cat. Worked out really well.
>>
>>2075791
It's like a thick fluid.

>>2075790
I suppose I'll ask the vet about trying that maybe. The guy spits some of it out everything I give it to him.

>>2075795
Cool! Sounds like a plan.
>>
>>2075791
Regarding the tablets. I also have had to give the cat cortisone. This still isn't comfortable but I managed it somehow. I grind the stuff to a fine powder, add a little water, and then I suck it into a little syringe and shoot it into the mouth. I suppose the cortisone taste less bad than the stuff I'm giving him now. So it depends I suppose on the medicine.
>>
>>2075795
I like the sound of this guys method. Although, I am going to jump and assume thats probably expensive
>>
>>2075785
I usually always wrap my cat into a burrito with a towel so she doesn't fight me off.
>>
>>2075926
Not really. It only costed me about $15 for a month supply. Totally worth it to not have to wrestle an elderly/feeble-delicate cat. He had hyperthroidism a while before he finally died of kidney failure. Not sure what the med was called. I just had to ask my vet to call it in to a compounding pharmacist and I was good to go. No cat wrestling and my cat got to live out his last few months peacefully and happily.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.