[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesn't my housemates greyhound close his eyes or seem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: 20160304_210932.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160304_210932.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Why doesn't my housemates greyhound close his eyes or seem to enjoy having his ears scratched? Whenever he walks up to me for a pat he just keeps the same expression on his face.
>>
>>2075165

Greyhounds are just very low-key doggos - they don't do the bouncing-around-with-exuberant-displays-of-affection things that other breeds do so much, they don't bark much and are pretty chill dogbros happy to lie-around most of the day. Suits some people, needier personalities should seek out clingier breeds.
>>
>>2075179
Depends on the greyhounds, I've met a bunch that were like regular dogs. Those that were retired from racing though, a lot of them were basically robots. Kinda like retired hunting dogs.
Wonder what are police dogs like when they stop working.
>>
My dog does that. She will get excited, paw at me to pet her and roll over for belly rubs but when you pet her, she's so blank and emotionless.
>>
File: 20160306_123104[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160306_123104[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Same expression, all day. What does this look mean?
>>
Do you know if it is a rescued racer? Often the racers aren't socialized well and are skittish. He might just be weary even though he appreciates the affection
>>
>>2076201
Yes, it is. Sometimes when I'm home alone and have my door open he'll walk in for a pat then walk out again. He does this a few times, always with his head kind of angled towards the front door, he gets excited when my housemate gets home and always dashes to the front door.
>>
>>2075281
I work in corrections and they adopt out the Shepherds and sniffer dogs if the handler doesn't keep them. The ones I've met are great. When they aren't working they get taken home and socialized ect so it's all done for you. Definately gonna do that next time.

Tldr; you are given a 5 year old, expertly trained obedient dog that is healthy as fuck.
>>
File: bark_lol.jpg (29 KB, 271x239) Image search: [Google]
bark_lol.jpg
29 KB, 271x239
I guess it's a trust issue, maybe you don't smell fully trustful...
try to win his trust giving him goodys and maybe try playing with him
>>
>>2076193
very uncertain and scared. roommate probably hits him or original owner did
>>
>>2076227
I doubt the roommate mistreats the grey since OP said it runs to greet the owner. Some retired racers were abused on the track. I had one that you couldn't throw a ball or toy overhand. He would instantly cower, thinking you were going to hit him with it. But you could throw underhand all day and he'd play with you.
>>
>>2076227
Nah, my housemate loves him. She takes him for walks often and plays with him a lot, he even sleeps on her bed every night.
>>
>>2075165
He looks anxious as shit.
Is it a former racing dog? They have more often been abused then not.

If you can find time just sit down calmly with the dog as often as you can.

And give him treats, but don't force them on him.
>>
>>2076233
Yes, he was a racing dog. Most of the time he'll lie on the couch, if you sit next to him he'll emit a low growl if you touch his back leg, he doesn't like that. He does bark. It's a little weird when I pat him and tell him he's a good boy and he doesn't do anything.
>>
>>2075165
do not FORCE this poor soul to act happy and if nothing had happened...

be the best friend this buddy needs, do never dissapoint him and do not exclude him for his sadness
>>
>>2076241
>do not FORCE this poor soul to act happy and if nothing had happened...

>force him to act happy

What the fuck. Are you retarded?
>>
>>2076244
i said don't
>>
>>2076247
Yes, I'm a well adjusted guy. I'm not going to try and 'force' him to 'to act happy'.
>>
>>2076252
You don't get what I am saying
Of Course you want him to react well on your appearence, but as you mentioned his abusements let him lie in scars, so my suggestion is to let him work on his inner pain by himself and just to support him by showing him the punishment is over
>>
>>2076210
How do I go about getting a retired police doggo
>>
>>2075284
My Belgian is like this, except he's emotionless when you rub/scratch his chest and neck. He'll freeze up when I start doing that, occasionally licking my arm. I'm pretty sure he enjoys it, because if I stop he'll follow me around, nuzzling my hand until I start doing it again.
>>
>>2076210
Why do they retire them so young?
>>
>>2078569
They have hit their peak and won't get any faster. After that they "have no use" so they send them to slaughter
>>
>>2078591
>>2078569
Whoops, I thought you meant the greyhounds

Probably because they have also hit their peaks and might start missing things
>>
File: 20160109_125740_HDRsmall.png (589 KB, 1328x747) Image search: [Google]
20160109_125740_HDRsmall.png
589 KB, 1328x747
wtf op
give me back my dog mothar fakcr
>>
File: JEEN_TREEN.jpg (21 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
JEEN_TREEN.jpg
21 KB, 640x360
>>2075165
What the fucking fuck is that fucking nose holy fuck.
>>
File: 20160306_171128[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160306_171128[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2078895
Don't you know animals? He's a good boy.
>>
When I'm home alone and he's inside, if my bedroom door is open he'll randomly walk into my room for a pat, then walk out again, walk around a bit, walk back in, it's weird. He likes to come in and lay down on my floor if no one but me is home. If I'm in bed and he walks into my room, and I reach over and touch him, he'll stop and I give him a scratch. Otherwise he just walks out again and lays on the couch. Constantly waiting for his owner, looking towards the front door.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.