[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dog doesn't like toys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: pupper.jpg (51 KB, 436x582) Image search: [Google]
pupper.jpg
51 KB, 436x582
We recently had to put one of our dogs down, leaving Beaux home alone for a good portion of the day. The two of them were really close, where Beaux originally was very shy and fearful but our other dog helped his confidence. Now that he's alone, I'm worried about him getting lonely, bored, depressed.

Beaux doesn't like toys. He's never been interested in them. The only things he's ever shown interest in were large sticks, flashlights/lasers, and bugs flying in front of his face. Our other dog was really into lasers and toys.

Is there a way to help make sure Beaux doesn't get too bored when he's home alone? Also, is there a good way to tell if a dog who constantly seems sad but isn't has gotten depressed over losing his friend?

>pic related, Beaux
>>
Identifying depression can be extremely hard. Hell, it's hard to do with humans. You likely have people in your life suffering from depression right now, that you don't notice. I unfortunately don't have much advice though, other then maybe consider getting another pupper for him. After something develops that strong of a bond with another living thing, it can be hard to adjust to being content with just inanimate objects.
>>
>>2074360
Yeah, my family's talked about the possibility of getting another dog if he starts showing more noticeable signs of depression like eating less, losing weight, that kind of stuff. I'm hesitant to immediately get another pupper because Beaux can be kind of iffy with other dogs. He tended to stick close to our other dog when meeting new dogs, and he sometimes gets grumpy when meeting new dogs so I'd be a little nervous.

Do you think there's a way I can help him learn to like toys? I'll do anything to keep him happy. I'm already visiting home more often on the weekends
>>
File: Flavorit-nylon-dog-bone[1].jpg (41 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Flavorit-nylon-dog-bone[1].jpg
41 KB, 800x800
>>2074363
tasty refillable toys like kong, or pic related if you don't want him to get fat on all that extra peanut butter

go on walks with your dog more. take him to places, even if it's just a park you don't usually walk in. all the new sights/smells can be a distraction and help stimulate endorphins, even if he is old and grumpy.
>>
>>2074413
Those sound like good ideas. He loves going for walks, just seeing the leash gets him to jump for joy (and he doesn't often get visibly excited about things). He also loves riding in the car, so it makes sense to bring him along for quick errands and stuff.

He's about 6, but he was a rescue pupper living under a house with other dogs, and I think that's why he's so timid and unsure around new dogs. But I'll definitely try your suggestions, thanks!
>>
>>2074429
>He loves going for walks, just seeing the leash gets him to jump for joy (and he doesn't often get visibly excited about things). He also loves riding in the car, so it makes sense to bring him along for quick errands and stuff.

Hell yeah!! where do you live, OP? I live in Colorado so I'm really spoiled with places where I can take my dog. we've got the mountains, the foothills, tons of dog parks everywhere, good trails even in the city for walking. take him a lot of good places.

as for new dogs, if you DO end up getting another dog, you can do a couple of things. if you adopt from a shelter or rescue, you can take your dog along with you to meet the potential adoptees. it may be a little too energetic at an adoption event, but a shelter should be okay. if you can't take your dog with you, look up slow introduction techniques. the best trick I've heard (and used) is to have the dogs meet on "neutral ground" like a park or someone else's home, so your dog doesn't feel like the new dog is totally invading his territory.
>>
>>2074355
I've heard that cat toys work well. The ones with long sticks and long strings with toys attached to the end. Drag it around the ground in front of them and the prey drive will kick in and they'll chase, then eventually move up to regular dog toys. Haven't had to use it myself, but might work
>>
>>2074355
Get a bubble machine

Dogs like to attack bubbles
>>
>>2074413
That looks like an amazing toy.
How solid is it?
>>
>>2074355
Why the fuck are you giving toys to your dog? Its an animal not a child.
>>
>>2074785
Dogs are like humans and enjoy playing at all ages. A dog who doesn't play is a dog who's ill.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.