[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any vets here? Would it be a mistake to go to vet school
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: s2Lb1P4.jpg (121 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
s2Lb1P4.jpg
121 KB, 1280x853
Are there any vets here? Would it be a mistake to go to vet school and take on $200k in debt + 20 years of interest while having a salary of $60-80k if I don't specialize?

My current lab technician job makes me want to kill myself.
>>
>>2073948
Is this a thinly veiled "why would people become vet instead of real doctors" thread again?
>>
>>2073966
No, it's not. Human doctors are fuccbois and human patients are the worst.
>>
>>2073948
being a vet is shit unless you actually like treating dogs in the final stages of cancer and dealing with owners so dumb you could swear a 6 year old would treat animals better.
lab technician sucks but being a vet isn't much better. unless you want to work with other stuff besides regular pets, like wildlife or public health
>>
>>2074125
I was vaguely considering that lab animal medicine could be interesting. I've been dealing with lab animals off and on for 5 years and can handle research.
>>
>>2074138
it's meh
most lab animals are euthanized anyways
forgot to say i'm a vet and it's the same shit as when i was at mcdonalds except they order "heal my dog" instead of "heal my hunger"
>>
>>2074125

>implying the vets are any better

I have met some terrible vets
>>
>>2073948
>$200K in debt.

Where are you from?
Every vet I've met has spent like $50k average. Some a little less, some a little more depending their specialties.
>>
>>2073948
vet schools are as competitive as medical schools or dental schools

I hope you know your organic chemistry and calculas for the admission exams
>>
>>2074224
California. Western university is $50k a year. If it was $50k for all four years, this wouldn't be a question for me, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Seems like most med students do income based repayment thing now since debts bloat to $500k.
>>
>>2074278
Most vet schools here in the US require the GRE as the standard for admission exams. The only sections on the GRE are essentially math, english, and writing.
>>
>>2073948
cute duck
>>
>>2073948
The worst part about vet school is the classmates
Fucking spoiled, inbred little shits

The only reason I don't drop out is that I'm already 23 and feel too old to start uni all over again
>>
I've considered going to school to become a vet just to learn and be able to treat my own animals.

I don't think I could do it as a job, though. Too emotionally taxing to not be able to save every animal.
>>
>>2074621
That's a hell of a commitment. You'd be better off becoming a vet tech if you didn't plan to make a career out of it long term. Doctorates in medicine aren't something to just jump into. And chances are, you'd make about as much as a vet's net take-home pay for a long time and avoid debt almost completely.

>>2074612
Mind if I ask your opinion on the financial side of it? What are your and your classmates prospects at the end of it all?
>>
>>2074631
Oh, I know it's a hell of a commitment. Expensive, too. It's not something I am definitely sure I want to do. Just something I am thinking about.

Though I don't think becoming a vet tech would really serve as an equivalent substitute. It's not something I want as a career. I just want the knowledge, the skills, and the license to be able to help animals when I need to or want to (my own animals, those in need that can't pay for it perhaps, or wildlife, etc.) I want to be ABLE to take care of animals in this sense, but I don't want to make a career out of doing it.
>>
>>2073948
Vet reporting in. It's not worth it.
>>
>>2074645
another vet reporting in, it is worth it
what sort of a clinic do you work in? and how long for?
I have been graduated for 4 years and totally love it.
>>
>>2074448

I didn't believe you, but I looked it up.

If there is nothing else you can see yourself doing, then you should do it.

>>2074631
This guy makes a good point. RVTs can make a decent living, and the program is not very expensive. They do a lot of hands on work; more than the actual doctors.

Personally, I could never work with pets because of the owners. I used to volunteer with pets, and the things you hear people say/do is infuriating.

>Oh, if my dog misbehaves I'll just hit him
>Whats the best vegan diet for my dog?
>I want to adopt this kitten, and then give it away when my senior cat dies
>oh he doesn't need to see a vet, he's just depressed (dog dies a month later)
>He only likes hotdogs, so thats all I feed him

Whether your an RVT or vet, be prepared to tactfully explain to people why what they are doing is bat shit insane and killing their pets.
>>
>>2074205
i never implied that tho
>>
>>2074649
lol you're retarded i hate being a vet
>>
>>2075209
and your reasoning is?
>>
>>2074690

What's insane about raising a dog on a vegan diet?
>>
>>2077067
>it's worth getting into a giant debt just to have to deal with people like >>2077162
yeah ok buddy
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.