[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best pet for a small apartment? Small dogs,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: pet-apartment-4.jpg (173 KB, 800x645) Image search: [Google]
pet-apartment-4.jpg
173 KB, 800x645
What's the best pet for a small apartment?

Small dogs, cats, or ferrets?
>>
all 3 are fine which do you like more and what do you want out of a pet.
>>
>>2071529
A pet best suited for someone who works out of the home and will be around the pet every day.
>>
>>2071526
all of the above
i have 2 dogs and used to have 2 cats in an apartment
>>
>>2071530
Small dogs can be yappy, but since you're around all day it should be okay. I think cats are best for small apartments in general. Ferrets poo everywhere.
>>
Rats
>>
>>2071534
Litterbox management is an issue for small apartments. Are there any tricks that can keep the smell and mess under control, even with daily cleaning?
>>
>>2071547
I know they sell odor control litter for cats but I don't know how well it works. I have ferrets and a daily cleaning is usually enough. If it starts to smell, I can clean the cage, litter box, or do a deep clean of the plastic carpet runners I put under the cage and litterbox. After that it never smells. If you're still having issues after that, I know they sell cage sprays/deodorizers.
>>
>>2071547
Cats usually aren't all that hard to deal with. Just odor control litter and a litter mat should be enough. For ferrets, you're going to have to clean daily, even then they still smell pretty bad. Rats are better, easier, and less smelly, but you still definitely have to clean weekly. I think rats are the best middle ground for easy, affectionate, cheap pet.
Pretty much any dog or cat will do if you're not interested in small animals. Since noise is a concern for dogs, I'd make absolutely sure you get a well-bred and well socialized dog. Depending on how much time you have to actually play with them, since you work from home, you can get pretty much anything that's fine with small spaces regardless of energy level.
>>
In my experience it is quite helpfull do give your cat kibble that is suited for indoor cats that has odor reduction. I don't really smell my cat's litterbox, even when I'm cleaning it.
>>
>>2072261
I hear lots of people talk shit about dry food, are there brands that are just as healthy as wet food or is it all just a meme?
>>
cats. dogs can't use a litterbox and ferrets smell like shit.
>>
>>2072315
All the vets I've been to say to feed dry once a day and wet once a day at different times.
Just portion it up.
>>
>>2072338

cats smell too
>>
File: 205.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
205.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
Fiddler crabs obviously, they're better than all these filthy furry animal peasants. They're also really cute and can gain a bond with their owner if they see that you feed them and stuff.
>>
>>2072428
But then your home smells like crab
>>
dogs are objectively the best pet IF you do your research and learn about how to select and appropriate on and train and care for it properly.. if you don't do this they are objectively the worst pet

ferrets are hyperactive and smelly and also require quite a bit of training for them to be a decent pet.. ferret shit reeks

cats are good if you don't want to train an animal and don't mind the terrible smell.. cat piss and shit reeks

i prefer rats and rabbits over cats and ferrets

rats are smart as fuck and pretty easy to look after.. they smell but not as bad as cats and ferrets

rabbits are stupid and cute and can (sort of) be litter trained..and being herbivores they stink the least but their pee is super weird and gross
>>
>>2071526
Out of the choices.
I think fish.
>>
>>2072428
It's like having a little giant enemy crab as a pet.
I'd name mine Ridge Racer.
>>
ferrets smell with their bodies, cats not so much (at least not as far as I've experienced).
you will always smell the poop of any animal that you don't take outside to poop. But for cats at least, there is indoor cat food that greatly reduces the smell of their poop
>>
>>2074042
Cleaning the box daily also significantly reduces cat poop smell
>>
File: ferret-vulva-110921-bg[1].jpg (56 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
ferret-vulva-110921-bg[1].jpg
56 KB, 500x667
DOG - If you're home a lot dogs are the best. Breeds that don't shed are ideal. Dogs are also a great excuse to get out of the house for walks and socializing.

CAT - If you're at work/school most of the day cats tend to be quiet and have the litter box for their bathroom needs.

FERRET - If you plan on caging your pet all day then cats and dogs will be unhappy. Ferrets need to be caged or they'll poop-mark your walls. They're also pretty bipolar which can be funny when they're happy, and not so much when they're down. They need to be de-scented which will be an added vet cost. They also must be neutered, especially females since when they go into heat their genitals puff inside out and stay that way until they are mated. In that condition they are very prone to injury and infection.
Picture for educational purposes.

The ideal caged pet is a RAT. They're smart, trainable, and don't smell anywhere near as much as a ferret or a cat's litter box.
>>
>>2074051
Thought I was looking at a prolapsed butthole until I read you post.
>>
Older cat, like 5+ years.
>>
>>2071526
Get a snake. You can have a pet snake even if you live in a fucking car!
>>
>>2074042

if you have a healthy bird there's no smell
>>
>>2074051

rats smell just as bad as cats and ferrets
>>
File: 201506_2355_cfgba_sm[1].jpg (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
201506_2355_cfgba_sm[1].jpg
14 KB, 300x300
>>2074689
You have clearly never owned a ferret with it's scent glands.
>>
Heeeeey what about little snakes and big spiders? They do not smell, do not require much space and they are cute
>>
>>2074711
>snakes
>not smelling

Confirmed for never owning a snek
>>
>>2072621
>cats are good if you don't want to train an animal

WOAH BUDDY, don't go 'round givin people the wrong impression now. You want a little beasty that spent five minutes in the litterbox to jump on your counters where you prepare food? What about bitin your ankles whenever you happen to walk by your bed?

Ya at least gotta do the basics man!
>>
>>2071547
When I lived in a bachelor during university my trick for litterbox management was to put the litter box directly by the front door so everyone was immediately blasted by the smell and knew what they were getting into if they entered.

Still managed to pull vagina somehow.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.