[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck did we do, /an/? Why is this allowed? This is the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
File: zero.jpg (37 KB, 564x381) Image search: [Google]
zero.jpg
37 KB, 564x381
What the fuck did we do, /an/? Why is this allowed?
This is the first time I've looked at an allegedly healthy living thing and thought "that definitely should not exist."
>>
ayy lmao puppers
>>
File: dachshund.jpg (19 KB, 432x216) Image search: [Google]
dachshund.jpg
19 KB, 432x216
>>2070167

Dogs make me realize that we probably aren't ready for eugenics.
>>
>>2070173
dachshunds are pretty healthy when they're not BYB.
>>
>>2070173
The whole concept of having "pure" pedigree lines is something that was born out of eugenics, and stands testiment to why it dosen't work.
>>
>>2070174
Except they're not. Just like pugs and Bulldogs, there's no exception.
>>
>>2071627
Why do standard poodles have a ridge on top of their skull?
>>
>>2070174
>>2071627

Don't they suffer from spinal issues, hip and elbow dyplasia?
>>
>>2071636
yeah, but most of the animals that have them are BYB.

dachshunds from good breeders don't have a whole lot of issues.
>>
>>2071655
>the structure of the breed standard is unhealthy
>no it's just the breeder!!!

fuck off breedfag
>>
File: Alllllrightythen.gif (2 MB, 250x205) Image search: [Google]
Alllllrightythen.gif
2 MB, 250x205
Oh anon says it shouldn't exist? Guess that's that then.
>>
>>2071663
>lives 15 years on average
>structure is unhealthy
lmao.
>>
>>2071691
>15 healthy years
>15 years of pain meds and corrective surgeries

A dog will drag itself along as best it can manage, dosen't mean its happy or healthy.
>>
>>2071697
>of pain meds and corrective surgeries
healthy dachshunds don't have these.

only BYB dachshunds do for the most part.
>>
>>2070174
nice mental gymnastics incest lover
>>
>>2071702
well you truly have the dissociative qualities of a breedfag, I'll give you that

>lives 15 years on average
that means jack shit about their quality of life. regardless healthy daushaunds who live that long are an exception, not even close to the norm
>>
>>2071714
>that means jack shit about their quality of life
most of them don't develope any disorders because they aren't BYB.
>>
>>2071691
I've lived well over fifteen years and I can tell you that it was all fucking awful. Age has nothing to do with it. People with chronic pain live just as long as the rest of us; age doesn't mean shit. Stop using "b-b-but it isn't killing it!" as an excuse to mutilate dogs.
>>
What the fuck is BYB
>>
>>2071729
>I've lived well over fifteen years
I should hope so
>>
>>2071731
Back
Yard
Breeder
>lurk moar faggot
>>
>>2071731
"backyard breeders" AKA "puppy mills"
>>
>>2071624

Eugenics when done by idiots who are breeding animals for looks entirely.

Breeding for health and intelligence leads to some great dougs.
>>
>>2071729
dachshunds don't have chronic pain.

most of them live pretty ordinary lives for dogs.
>>
i think if i had to choose i'd pick a back yard dachsund since this is what a "reputable" breeder is going for
>>
>tfw your BYB dachshund/jack russel mutt turned out fucking huge without any issues
dodged a bullet
is ~42cm height and about 55cm from neck to the base of the tail big for that kind of a mutt?
>>
>>2072026
The whole issue is that not only are dogs not being selected for fitness and purpose anymore, but that outcrossing is frowned upon. The dog breeding world threw a collective shitfit when dalmations were crossed to pointers in order to fix a genetic issue. Even though generations later, when they're physically indestinguishable from other dalmations, some breeders still regard the resulting animals as mutts. Selecting for fit, healthy animals that do well at a particular task, or have certain physical characteristics is one thing. But the idea of creating "pure breeds" is based on outdated notions of creating superior, seperate lines. By removing "inferior" animals and breeding only from the best examples, the idea was that you could move closer to what could be considered "perfect" and preserve superior quality. However, all this really dose is create a genetic bottle neck and allows for hereditary defects to accumulate. Its the same principles that drove royals to marry first cousins, and why we joke about mad kinds and "blue bloods". Because by thinking they could preserve their inborn superiority, they became inbred genetic wreaks.
>>
>>2072081
*mad kings
>>
>>2070167

You're only now realizing this? I see this every tim e I look at a pug, looks like their eyes are about to fall out, and that underbite. They look deformed. A wolf must see those things the same way we see people with down's or congenital defects. They would rip them apart and rightly so.
>>
>>2071624

Are we talking human eugenics here? Because that's about weeding out bad alleles, not breeding dogs so they can match your purse.
>>
File: 1455343652605.jpg (50 KB, 479x370) Image search: [Google]
1455343652605.jpg
50 KB, 479x370
>>2072086
Dog breeds created for extreme builds and looks are truly abominations.
>>
>>2072081
What I like is the "look to breeds for temperament!" which is invariably followed by "all dogs are individuals with their own temperament and personality"
>>
>>2072086
>They would rip them apart and rightly so.
You would rip apart a human with down syndrome?
The fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>2072670
Retards should be euthanized at birth
>>
>>2072026
Now that you mention it, are there breeds focused primarily on health and intelligence?
>>
that thing looks like a drawing by that guy that illustrates the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series
>>
Okay /an/, help me out. What I don't understand about this whole morality issue /an/ has with hating unnatural or maladapted breeds that have a lot of issues like bulldogs with breathing problems, is that what does it matter if that dog still leads a happy life? If I had a nickel for every daschund that came into my practice with a wheel cart for teir back legs playing around and barking and wagging their tail, I could buy a steak dinner. Daschunds and the like may have afflictions and disproportionate bodies that cause harm, but who cares if they're happy?

The fact of the matter is that dogs lack the cognition to even recognize that they could have had a better life than the cards they're dealt. They not only deal with what they're given, but they don't give a fuck, because they don't THINK. They just guide themselves with conditioning and instinct, and live their lives for better or worse no matter what breathing problems or whatever. So why go full blown autism over it?
>>
>>2072078
What, how?
>>
>>2072701
it's not about them realizing it. it's about the ethics of paying to produce animals that will intentionally live short sickly lives. it's selfish and literally trading their quality of life for superficial novelty looks
>>
>>2072674
Border collies and almost any working line of shepherds .
>>
File: image.jpg (248 KB, 1800x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
248 KB, 1800x1080
>>2070167
>>
>>2072743
oh.
>>
>>2071624
Eugenics does work
>>
>>2072086
Yes anon this is why women should not allowed to have dogs because they do stupid shit like make men breed a dog to be cuter even when its damaged to them, only men should have dogs while women have cats.
>>
>>2072674
dobermans, but unfortunately the breed was almost lost and the effort to rebuild the population left many of them with a congenital heart defect
>>
>>2072674
Most sporting dogs, working, and shepherd dogs.
>>
>>2075706
aren't most 'working dogs' prone to bone problems? especially in the hips
>>
Simply put, it's "allowed" because it cannot be stopped.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 750x500
>>2075355
Men are equally bad. The problem isn't gendered, it's more that terrible people have no obstacle to breeding. The US should institute the same laws and restrictions as other countries.
>>
>>2075786
Yeah but that is because of their large size, not breeding issues.
>>
>>2071636
>>2071655
I know a dachshund breeder, and a couple BYB dachshund breeders (which I always try to discourage the bybs from doing anything) and there's even a wiener dog club here which I participate it, and I can confirm that standard and miniature dachshunds only have spinal problems. And that's only if they have too much pressure on their spine and not enough muscle to hold up the structure.
Front feet are larger than back feet, but that's because of the dwarfism gene.

>>2071697
Haven't seen a single dachshund that had to be only meds or have corrective surgeries unless they had a slipped disk or broke their back.

They're very cute, one day I'll make a compiled picture of all the weenies I know.
>>
File: First I was like.jpg (141 KB, 425x504) Image search: [Google]
First I was like.jpg
141 KB, 425x504
Get rid of all dogs and start from scratch.
>>
>>2076253
>muh memes
>>
>>2072056
Nope. Dachshund's are known for all sorts of illnesses that can be picked up through poor breeding. PRA is massive in Dachshund's and if you get a BYB who just spawns and doesn't test you'll get a batch of blind fucked up puppers. Also Lafora can run in wirehaired dacshunds, again you must test before breeding or you get yet again fucked up puppers. Always get the papers of your dachshund's lineage if you want a happy healthy one.

In response to all the chat on here in general about back problems in dachshunds, there has been a LOT of research by the Kennel Club that found generally it was lifestyle and diet choices that led to the back having issues. This ranges from letting your dachshund bounce off sofas and stairs to having them overweight and rough handled. Generally if you just look after them properly and restrict the jumping, the dachshund should live between 14-18yrs old.
>>
I can't imagine wieners are too unhealthy, their form follows function. The function of crawling in holes to rip and tear things.
>>
>>2071630
Muscles attach to that ridge, it's called the sagittal crest
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.