[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/AQ/ Dirted Tank Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51
Previous edition >>2067454
Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size
-parameters
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
>How to cycle your tank: http://pastebin.com/x4WnB0Ah
>General aquarium care sheets - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/
>Livestock and plants for sale - http://www.liveaquaria.com/ http://www.aquabid.com
>FUCKING GOOGLE - http://www.google.com
>>
File: 1.5experement.jpg (89 KB, 662x490) Image search: [Google]
1.5experement.jpg
89 KB, 662x490
This is the soil I used for my 1.5, Its been running for 3 months, Currently has 1-2 MTS, and 3 different Crypts, I think the foreground one is Wenditi?,the tall one is Retrospiralis(?, although might be some kind of Val with how big it is), and parva? in the back. They were all bought as different times with basic labels. Also a Banana plant. I need to find a good piece of hardscape when the thaw hits, and maybe some shrimp or a CPO? My lighting is just a 3w led desk lamp. Other nutrient additions are Seachem Excel, Iron and Flourish and the dirt was seeded with Osmocote +.
>>
>>2070026
Looks pretty good to me. I bet that would make an awesome shrimp tank.
>>
File: 22.jpg (610 KB, 2560x2048) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
610 KB, 2560x2048
Alright senpai, I've had a tank for like 1 month (this is a 4gallon) and it currently has a few live plants and two "starter" cloud minnows that my locally owned pet store gave me to aid in cycling.

Now the first time I checked the water I had level 4 ammonia, which was too toxic, but perfect everything else. 2 weeks later I go back to the pet store (they give free water checks) and now my ammonia is perfect and my nitrates are off the charts.

I've been doing 20% water changes everyday and following the printed guide they gave me, but how long is this supposed to actually take?

The cloud minnows are very active and healthy, but I assume that's because they are extremely hardy despite being in literal toxic water. I'm just scared to put anything else in it in case they die instantly.
>>
>>2070074
youre changing the water far too much and you probably have nothing for a bacterial colony to grow in. no mention of a filter.
>>
>>2070021
I need help getting soil for my tank. I have a regular 55 gallon tank (48"X12" base) and I don't know how much I need. First, what soil is the best, and how much will I need for my tank?
>>
>>2070074
when ammonia is at zero and nitrates are high the tank is cycled.

now just keep up with the water changes to get rid of nitrates. Nitrate will never hit zero. You just want it as low as you can get.
>>
>>2070074
also you should probably test your tap water to see if it has high nitrates.

it happens pretty often. People changing water with water that's even worse.
>>
>>2070099
>>2070119
>>2070115

Thanks guys. I should add that I do have a filter/heater and that I've been adding dechlorinater with every change
>>
>>2070110
um, I suck shit at math, but if you can take the area of the bottom, give yourself at least one inch of soil, and a half inch of sand to cap it, you can get the idea.
>>
>>2070129
yeah, no problem.
It sounds like you're doing just fine. As the anon says, you're probably changing more water than you need to. Slow it down on the water changes once nitrate is in check.
>>
>>2070074
ya, what all the other anons said, you kinda know when your tank is cycled when your filter media looks gnarly. Whether it is solid media like ceramic thingys or sponges that look like shit and you can squeeze some tea colored shit from them each week. You can test them with those science-y test kits, but if you start right, and end right and got your shit together you can make your tank right after a few weeks. Don't by the "no fish" cycle bullshit, plop some hardy, cheap, fish in your tank and take it from there. If your fish live, well, awesome, if the die, well, shit. Once you can get cheap fish to live, than get a new fish tank thats bigger and better to raise cooler and more difficult fish!
>>
Do species inter-friendship/school?? Would different Cory cats feel closer and school, or would different tetras school or feel better, like Rummynose and Cardinals? Do fish feel more special or less special depending on what species are stocked? I guess what I am asking is/are species more likely to get along with like species of similar kind or do they know if they are kind of separated by science?
>>
If young adult angelfish (8+ months) swim together frequently, does it mean they've paired off? They're leaving their tankmates alone. I guessed they were a male and female about a month ago based on head shape.
>>
>>2070139
I wouldn't say it's common, but I briefly had a rainbow shark that liked to cuddle up to my kuhli loaches. I got a new one when the other died, but this one does not care for other fish.
>>
>>2069932
They're sorta like Ghost Shrimp, scavengers, but will eat anything smaller if given the opportunity.
>>
File: IMG_20160225_085305.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160225_085305.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
I'm just now getting into dirted tanks. My first dirted tank is a planted betta cube with eleocharis, rotala indica, and nymphaea stellata (sp).

Right now I have green algae for days. Both walls of the tank are caked in it. Lighting is set to run from 0800-1200, then from 1600 to 1800. I've been thinking of dropping the photo period down to 6 hours.

Anons in the last thread were complaining about eleocharis dying out. With my current setup, I'm seeing some very slow propagation, but no death. My planting technique was not ideal -- I didn't separate the hairgrass into small enough bunches, as I later saw that I should.

The rotala seems to be melting and growing back. I think it might have been grown emersed, and is now adjusting to immersive growth.

I started another 20long in my basement and for some reason I have a shit ton of tannins in that one. This betta tank was only cloudy, and only for like a day, no visible tannins. I think it was because I was more diligent in removing pieces of bark, or because I used a thicker sand cap.

Tank has been running for a little less than a month.
>>
>>2070110
You'll need between ⅔ and 1 cubic feet, or 24-30 quarts, of soil, plus about ¼ cubic feet of sand (7½ qts) or ½ cubic foot of gravel (15 quarts) for a cap.
That'll give you 2-3 inches of soil and a little under an inch of sand, or about an inch and a half of gravel.

Any soil is fine as long as it doesn't have chemical additives, which is why people usually suggest "organic" soils. If you live near a rice field or other water crop, you could also go out and take some mud from there.
>>
>>2070213
>Lighting is set to run from 0800-1200, then from 1600 to 1800. I've been thinking of dropping the photo period down to 6 hours.
That is six hours, isn't it?

The hairgrass isn't going to form a dense carpet unless you get higher lighting and CO2, but good substrate and moderate light is enough to keep it alive.
>>
>>2070272
>That is six hours
My bad, 1600 to 2000. I'm American, I mixed up 8PM with 1800.

>higher lighting
If anything I'm trying to reduce the lighting due to the algae. I was considering floating plants, although I imagine the water lily will eventually be tall enough to create some shade.

>The hairgrass isn't going to form a dense carpet
So they say. I'm interested to see how far it can go with glutaraldehyde alone.
>>
File: 20160225_113137-1.jpg (3 MB, 2236x2236) Image search: [Google]
20160225_113137-1.jpg
3 MB, 2236x2236
Sorry for blur but, what kind of fish is this? It looks like a gold dojo loach to me but it has 3 brownish black spots on its left side.

I can't tell if its a different species or if it just has some bruising.
>>
File: rsz_20151204_163511.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20151204_163511.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
That feel when the tank you work on needs to be dived in to be cleaned.

I don't know any other hobby that requires such a diverse set of skills. Electrical, water chemistry, animal husbandry, suba diving and plumbing pool knowledge.
>>
File: rsz_20150613_130438.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20150613_130438.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
Any one here ever deal with redbud infestations? I basically had to kill my entire pod and crustacean population after my corals got badly infected.

Tank is okay now but hair algae and dirt for the lack of micro cleanup crew and die off is creeping up.
>>
>>2070330
>>2070333
I dream of being able to run an aquarium for an employer
>dat budget
>dat excuse to fuck with fish while on the job
>dat comfy personalized office-space
my only worry would be getting carried away
>"Anon, I told you to set up a fish tank"
>"I did boss, isnt it beautiful?"
>"it's just 5000 shrimp in a bucket covered in moss"
>"don't worry boss, in 3 months when it's properly cycled, I'll get a single dwarf puffer"
>"you're fired, anon"
>>
File: rsz_1rsz_20151023_112203.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
rsz_1rsz_20151023_112203.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>2070339
My office space is anything but comfy pic related. Our budget is about 20k a month. I work for a private residence.

I get the duce bigalow jokes often.
>>
>>2070349
never saw the movie so that joke flies right over my head.
>20K a month
holy fuck, what? where do you work and what the fuck do you spend 20 grand a month on for a fish tank? is that your exclusive job?
also, are those wires from a breaker in that little tank?
>>
File: r2asylL.jpg (904 KB, 4250x2390) Image search: [Google]
r2asylL.jpg
904 KB, 4250x2390
How are you plants doing, /aq/?
>>
>>2070354
my indica is growing some beautiful purple blooms, but some of my slow growing plants are starting to sprout some fuzzy algea
>>
>>2070356
Reduce the light-on time and increase the co2.
>>
>>2070358
will the algae kill the plant or is it just ugly?
>>
File: rsz_120151023_112132.jpg (2 MB, 2656x1494) Image search: [Google]
rsz_120151023_112132.jpg
2 MB, 2656x1494
>>2070352
I cant say for the privacy of the client. The tank is about 10k gallons. It's the only client I work with atm. It's not my only job just part time as I'm still in school. Its an easy as hell job for what I do not that I don't take it with the utmost professionalism. It beats wage cuckery working as wage slave in a restaurant or retail shit.

The box above the desk is a ballast box for the UV lamps to disinfect the water I was changing them out at the time. The actual breaker box is much MUCH larger as most of our equipment is 220v.

The tank to the left is our water change vat which is fed by that woefully inadequate ro/di filter which I'm replacing next month.

This the actual skimmer and ozone unit, which is the size of a very large domestic water heater tank.
>>
>>2070359
Algae won't kill the plant unless it's competely taken over and blocking it from absorbing nutrients and light.

It will however reduce the growth rate.

Also get a pair of siamese algae eaters, I can personally recommend them, they eat every last bit of algae in sight.
>>
>>2070361
can I just scrape it off the leaves somehow? I tried just rubbing it off with my thumb but that didnt do much
>>
>>2070362
Try using a toothbrush and carefully scrub it off, just don't fuck up the leaves.
>>
>>2070240
Would API's Pondcare soil work? I just really don't want to fuck something up by getting the wrong soil.
>>
>>2070359
>>2070361
>Also get a pair of siamese algae eaters
Don't get fish without researching their care. SAEs get 6 inches and can sometimes be mildly territorial.

>>2070384
>API's Pondcare soil
From what I'm reading it's just clay and zeolite, in which case it's not gong to give you the same benefits as topsoil.
>>
>>2070359
My experience is that if algae completely coats a leaf, it will kill that leaf. The plant will keep growing, but mature leaves will become covered in algae and die off presumably due to lack of light.
>>
>>2070364
dip it in a gallon of tank water, Plus one cap of peroxide(lil cap on the bottle). Kills algae well. Can leave the plant soaking all day. Don't do it in tank though, or you'll hurt your filter, and kill any neon tetras, but most other fish are alright with it.
>>
>>2070407
What about Fluval's stratum?
And how many bags do you think I'd need for a 55g?
>>
Im new to using a top with two t5's. And with about 7 hours runtime a day the water gets green. Would replacing one of the t5's with something else help or can i only reduce the runtime to limit algae growth? If changing it works what can you guys recommend?
>>
>>2070170
nothing is certain with angelsfish, feed them some blood worms then do like 20% water change and replace the water with stuff a couple degrees cooler than the tank water
if theyre pairing off they'll do some spawning behavior, if not actually breed
make sure theres a piece of slate and or an amazon sword for them to lay on beforehand
>>
>>2070213
get either a single SAE or a couple oto cats to help deal with the algae
if you dont want to keep them in such a small tank with a betta long term, just move them over to the 20 long once its good to go
also looks like you've got some bacterial film on the surface, might wanna have something break up the surface tension be it filter or bubbles
>>
>>2070021
Does anyone keep a predator took deal with fry? My Ghost shrimp are going out of control.
>>
>>2070465
Hell, could I just get Walmart's soil?
>S.T. International Aqua Soil
>>
>>2070530
your ghost shrimp breed without you even trying? I thought they were difficult to make reproduce >>2070530
>>
>>2070564
I think you maybe a little confused, these are 15 cent feeder shrimp we are talking about.
>>
What will stop me from buying this and hanging it above my 20 gallon? It seems like a better deal than lights made for aquariums
http://www.amazon.com/Light-4lamps-DL824-Fluorescent-Hydroponic/dp/B009GU4RMC/ref=sr_1_12?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1456447260&sr=1-12&keywords=grow+light
>>
>>2070573
DO IT
O

I
T
>>
>>2070528
I'm skeptical that otos will eat this kind of algae. If you've witnessed otherwise, please tell me. I have two otos (used to be three, one died a few weeks ago), but I'd have to transfer them.
>>
>>2070560
It looks expensive as fuck. $40 for 11lbs? You'd probably need quite a few bags for a 55g
>>
>>2070026
Beautiful.
>>2070492
You could do that or put more plants in your tank.
>>
>>2070608
About what weight would I need for an inch or so of soil?
>>
>>2070361
>SAE get 6 inches
i got mine at 2.5 and they've been at 3.5 for about three years in my 75 gallon with plenty of food
>>
>>2070650
meant to respond to>>2070407
>>
>>2070492
a uv filter will keep water from going green
>>
>>2070652
He doesn't need a uv filter, he needs to find balance and add a fuckload of co2
>>
>>2070021
>starts new /aq/ thread
>planted tank edition
>posts a bag of fucking dirt instead of tank
What the actual fuck? No wonder this thread isn't taking off. Should we make a new one that isn't retarded?
>>
>>2070661
didnt say he needed one, i said it would do the job
>>
File: rsz_20150828_142352.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20150828_142352.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
>>2070564
Ghost shrimp formed a colony in my tank possibly a thriving civilization on over flow box relm of my tank. Constantly at war with the ever present hermit crab raiders.

Too bad they all died when I gassed my system with interceptor and Bayer to wipe out a particularly bad red bug infestation.
>>
>>2070683
I don't think people come for the pretty pictures of fish
>>
>>2070752
You're right, I come for the pretty pictures of plants.
>>
>>2070354
My new glosso is doing pretty well, had a bit of a diatom bloom last week but it's leveled off and manageable. Ferts and CO2 really helped it along.
>>
>>2070333
>hair algae and dirt for the lack of micro cleanup crew and die off is creeping up.
you need to re-establish your pod population.

I've been working on that one myself. I bought some pods off ebay and they did great at controlling algae and mulm, but after a couple months they had all died off for some reason. Maybe because my fish eat them constantly.

I'm thinking I might need to get some good live rock to start the culture. But that's expensive to ship. Maybe buy some macros to stuff in the overflow, that might get things moving again.
>>
File: tank.jpg (990 KB, 1594x1554) Image search: [Google]
tank.jpg
990 KB, 1594x1554
Here's my ugly ass out of focus camera screenshot of my tank, with freshly planted dwarf hairgrass, a new batch of marsilea hirsuta to make up for the carpet that was wiped out earlier, and a crypt pontederiifolia in the back right corner. Whole substrate has been reseeded with oscmocote plus gel caps too

I'm gonna try doing Excel dosing again since I think my shrimps will be fine with it, and to help encourage growth. Hope my carpet plants don't die off again
>>
File: 1439589950412.jpg (40 KB, 351x421) Image search: [Google]
1439589950412.jpg
40 KB, 351x421
>>2070021
Please don't fuck with the OP title.
It's harder to find in the catalog.
>>
>>2070848
>/aq/

?
>>
>>2070878
>ctrl+f
>aquarium general
>only result is the old thread at the bottom of the catalog
>>
>>2070884
Why would you do that bass ackwards way of finding a general?

There is a reason /aq/ is there. In fact there is a reason there is a /???/ for every general.
>>
>>2070884
You stupid, stupid faggot.
>>
>>2070643
It's hard for me to say. I would be surprised if you got by with just one bag. I've used multiple 11lb bags of substrate in my 24"x13". Granted, it was for a much greater depth, 3 inches as opposed to 1 inch. But you have a much larger surface area, so it evens out. Do you really want to spend $80-$120 just laying substrate down in your tank? I mean if you make $$$ then by all means go all out, but even then that's money you could be spending on equipment, plants, decorations, fish.

You've got to have some kind of hardware store in your area, perhaps even a gardening store of some kind. You should be able to find an organic potting mix without any artificial fertilization -- maybe even tell a sales rep that you're using it with fish and it's essential that it doesn't leach e.g. nitrogen into the water -- and you'll be able to buy more than enough dirt for less than $40. I bought a 32qt bag to do my 20 gallon long, and I barely used a quarter of the bag. You may very well be able to do an entire 55 gallon with one 32qt bag of dirt, and it will run you $5-15.
>>
>>2070752
>>2070755
They come for this fish, shrimp, advice, sometimes plants, and very rarely dirted tanks
>>
>>2070909
This is aquarium general. Not plant general. We're going to ask you to stop talking about dirt.
>>
>>2070928
Yeah because plants arent a part of the aquarium :^)
>>
>>2070963
Please refrain. Aquatic plants are. But attempting turning the aquarium general into a planted tank only shit fest thread is and has always been top tier autism.
>>
>>2070965
nobody tries to do that. it just happens to be that like 80% of posters here have planted tank setups, so 80% of the posts will be in relation to that. if you have a problem, start a topic about saltwater tanks or what ever bullshit you think is being actively suppressed by the /aq/ planted tank coalition
>>
>>2070967
You've been warned anon.
>>
File: 2016-02-21 11.43.41.jpg (3 MB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-21 11.43.41.jpg
3 MB, 4128x3096
Fuck fuck fuck
Lost one of my CPO's this morning.
Looks like a molt went bad.
>>
>>2070909
One of my friends (seasoned aquarist, though she hasn't done a planted tank before) warned me against any garden soil because of what might be living in the dirt. Is that a concern, or do I only have to worry about the chemical additives?

>>2070928
The discussion was for substrate in a planted aquarium. Substrate is part of an aquarium, and I'm rather sure "part of an aquarium" falls under "aquarium general."
>>
>>2070965
You're an idiot senpai
>>
>>2071023
>>2071025
Again you have been warned.
>>
>>2071042
so what kind of dirt do you use in your planted tank?
>>
>>2071023
If it's bagged soil, without any chemicals, you'll be okay
Some people take soil straight out of the ground for "natural" tanks
>>
File: ok.gif (933 KB, 245x285) Image search: [Google]
ok.gif
933 KB, 245x285
>>2071042
>>
>>2071047
Only two people here are talking about dirted tanks and about 2-3 others want to start dirt tanks. So for me I don't use dirt. Just sand, ferts, and co2.
>>
>>2071049
Alright, thank you anon
>>
>>2071047
I'm currently using Miracle Gro Organic in my little 5 gallon.
>>
File: IMG_0239[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0239[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Hey /aq/,
So i just got this 'thing', It's an acrylic box thats about 25x25x40, built out of 3/4 inch acyrlic. Was gifted to me by a professor. Any ideas on what to do? So far ideas include: >Terrarium w/ water feature and small fish (scarlet badis?) and some type of amphibian, reptile, or insect to inhabit it.
>Mantis shrimp tank (3/4 inch acrylic walls and height means i can have a large sand dwelling mantis, and the acrylic is way to thick to be broken
>Tidal Reef tank, with mangroves, shallow water with snails/corals/crabs, can work out some sort of tide system to raise and lower water daily.
>????????
Open to ideas. Very well versed in aquarium keeping, been in saltwater for awhile, and freshwater my whole life. Give me ideas.
>>
>>2071076
Smell it, post results
>>
>>2071076
How's it sealed? I'd be worried about it not being aquarium-safe.
>>
>>2071081
No shut up, he has to smell it first
>>
>>2070928
> We're going to ask you to stop talking about dirt.
since when the fuck are you speaking for all of us? Any fish keeper that's halfway decent has live plants in their tank (seriously if you don't, you should be ashamed), unless the fish just eat the plants. and guess what!! Plants grow better in soil, and not the gravel you have at the bottom of your tank (have you ever seen a plant grow in just gravel? I have, but that was hydroponics, not a tank). Therefore dirt (or media, as my professors prefer to call it), is every bit as important as any other part of a tank.
>>
>>2071085
>Any fish keeper that's halfway decent has live plants in their tank
>he hasn't heard of saltwater
>>
>>2071087
What's saltwater?
>>
>>2071087
Xenia counts, and aiptasia. The niche is still there. It's just algae instead. But keeping freshwater without plants is like keeping a reef without rock.
>>
>>2071089
>Xenia counts, and aiptasia. The niche is still there. It's just algae instead.
kek
>>
>>2071088
It's like freshwater, but someone went around and put some salt into it so it's an uninhabitable wasteland.
>>
>>2070492
You can't really replace it with anything besides a differently colored bulb, which might help a little, but probably not much. It's perfectly fine to run the fixture with only one bulb if you want to try that.
>>
>>2071092
Thanks familia
>>
>>2070465
I use Fluval stratum and it works great for me. The main reason people use topsoil is because it's cheap. If you don't mind spending the money, getting a specialty plant substrate specifically for aquariums will work fine.
>>
>>2070567
Yeah, those ones are usually hard to breed.

>>2070573
>What will stop me from buying this and hanging it above my 20 gallon?
Aesthetics. I'd you don't mind, it's fine. Using all 4 lights is going to give you some wicked algae growth unless you're dosing generously and have a CO2 system.

>>2070650
I just got back from the LFS and they had a six inch one in one of the display tanks.

>>2071076
>25x25x40
Inches or centimeters?
>>
>>2071077
Doesn't smell like anything. I've crawled all around the inside of it cleaning it, no weird smells, sorry to disappoint. I did have to clean a large amount of blood off of it though.... Me and the old guy that helped me load it into my car cut ourselves pretty badly on its sharp corners.
>>2071081
Silicone seals. There are these metal brackets that sit about 6 inchs off the bottom, and those I'm sure aren't invert safe, but it will be fine so long as I only fill it up 4 inchs or so, which even then (I just tested it) it will hold 7 gallons of water, and considering for a terrarium it'll only take up maybe 1/3 of the floorspace it'll be more like 2.5 gallons of water, which is plenty for me to keep microfish/shrimp/snails.
Otherwise I would have to remove the braces, and reseal the entire container, and probably brace it from the outside. Which would be a bitch.
>>2071112
Inches. That'd be tiny if it was centimeters!
>>
>>2071116
>no smell

Dropped
>>
>>2071087
Actually I have a reef myself. I would consider corals "plants" due to their use of zooxanthellae algae. Even if you don't regard those, because they are technically animals, I also keep a mangrove tree, as well as three different kinds of macro algae. I would definitely consider those plants. And if you don't use those is your reef/fowlr then your still a shitty aquarist
>what is nutrient export?
>>
>>2071116
If you make a shelf that sits right on top of/above the water instead of building up a mound of land, you'll get a lot more water in there.
>>
>>2071132
huh... I like that idea a lot actually.
>>
>>2071049
>>2071064

So I went shopping around and found some soils I might be able to use but I had some lingering doubts. Every soil I found had some sort of nitrogen, phosphate and potash. Is a certain level of these chemicals acceptable or should I avoid them entirely?
>>
>>2071085
Hahahaha you only can grow plants in dirt hahahaha hahahaha! You're fucking retarded.
>>
>>2071151
well anon.. it does have to be some type of soil. And as anon previously stated, hydroponics is a thing. Composition changes, but the fact remains aquarium gravel is a terrible thing to try to grow plants in.
>>
>>2071148
This is why you have a big fat sand cap above your soil. If your really worried you can follow Walstads instructions on preparing soil for the tank.
>>
>>2071085
Not that guy but there's plenty of species that can grow in just gravel and low care plants will grow in gravel in a tank. Personally use sand and never thought of dirt.
>>
>>2071120
algae are protists, not plants :^)
>>
>>2071155
Sand is almost as good as dirt. What is necessary is smaller closer particles so that the roots are able to grip better, and use their little fibers to soak up nutes. I've used gravel in my planted aquariums, and sure, it works kinda, but not nearly as well as using sand, or better yet, soil. Both sand and gravel are devoid of nutrients, and soil provides plenty of nutes and support for the growing plants.
>>
>>2071156
So what's a mangrove tree?
>>
>>2071148
>nitrogen, phosphate and potash
This is what plants use to grow. It's the whole reason you'd use dirt in the first place.

>>2071154
>big fat sand cap
>follow Walstads instructions
Pretty sure Walstad very specifically says not to use more than a half inch cap if you're using sand.
>>
>>2071151
They didn't say you can only grow plants in soil, they said plants grow best in soil. Retard
>>
What's up with anons complaining about shrimp and dirt talk? Aquariums consist of more than just fish, it's not fish general. how can people be so retarded?
>>
>>2071148
>Is a certain level of these chemicals acceptable
Yes, as long as the stuff is organic, i.e. no artificial fertilization. It might have helped if you had recorded the products and posted them here desu
>>
>>2071170
I know, I know. Luckily I found the soil that Walstad recommends, so I'm all good now.
>>
>>2071163
That's pretty fat for me...... Mine are usually no more then a quarter inch.
>>
>>2071168
Because this is /aq/. 90% retards trollings, 10% useful people.
>>
File: sphere.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
sphere.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
I put together this ~3 gallon sphere aquarium. It's got some parrots feather, cardinal plant and moneywort in it. These plants sit in Fluval Plant and Shrimp substrate. It's unfiltered and unheated. Light is a 100w LED running at ~30%

It's pretty well planted for it's size and currently has 2 ghost shrimp and a small feeder guppy to get the cycle going.

Once this thing cycles, how many RCS can I cram in here? I was thinking of starting with 10 and seeing if they breed. No other fish will be added.
>>
>>2071204
Dude it's probably cycled, those are good filter-plants.

You can add a lot of them, they don't poop much but ten is a great start.
>>
>>2071207

Plants have been in there a week, the animal life has been in there for four days. I'm gonna give it AT LEAST another week before I throw more bio-load in.

Might throw an assassin snail in too to keep any plant hitchhikers at bay. Think they'd dig too much for the substrate?
>>
>>2071214
No, but they'll die in 3 weeks, because that is not carrying alot of snails
>>
>>2071168
Because when someone says aquarium you don't think of those things. You think of fish. But people get so mad because shrimp is 90% of these fish threads.
>>
>>2071194
Nah it's gotta be 50/50 at least. I get a hell of a lot better conversation here than I do anywhere else here other than maybe /ck/
>>
>>2071204
I would try and buy just 5 or so berried females. That way, in about a month or so, you'll quickly get your colony to what is probably it's maximum capacity. Cheaper, and you don't have to wait 4 months for your fully colonized shrimp tank, instead just waiting like a month or two
>>
>>2071244
Maybe I'm to cynical. I hope your right. Seems like all i get is criticism from stupid anons that don't know what their saying.
>>
>>2071248
Well what's your setup? /aq/ does love to jump down the throat of people who don't do shut according to exactly how the Internet tells them they need to do shit.
>>
>>2071249
I don't do anything according to how people tell me to do it. I look at whats biologically happening, and just and resolve the problem with another biological solution, never chems. I have a 55g community freshwater tank (in the process of dismantling for space), a 5g 'ecosystem' w/ dwarf puffer, rcs, and snails,
and a 30g reef, which is the culmination of my 15 years of aquarium keeping experience. I haven't lost a fish in two years (minus one jumper on one of my moves, and another due to a murderous crab), and have phenomenal growth on plants and coral. consequences.
>>
>>2071255
ignore that consequences.. I may be a little high/drunk
>>
>>2071248
Maybe contribute instead of trolling?
>>
File: 7kTXxuz.jpg (630 KB, 1474x828) Image search: [Google]
7kTXxuz.jpg
630 KB, 1474x828
>>2071257
How was that trollin?
>>
>>2071232
Just because fish is the first thing that may pop into some people's minds when they think of aquariums doesn't mean anything. Makes no sense what you're saying. Any hobbyist would know that there's way more to an aquarium than the fish and therefore it's fine to talk about it in the aquarium general.
>>
File: 20160226_180547.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20160226_180547.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
What plant is this?
>>
UGHGHGGHHGHGHGHGHGHH

I got home today and one of my aquariums is leaking - again - after already being replaced for leaking once. This is fucking ridiculous. I even added extra silicone to make sure after the 1st one leaked. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING. None of my other aquariums have EVER leaked, even this extremely old one I got off of mother fucking craigslist that's older than I am. Have I somehow bred a strain of algee that eats silicone? Am I just the luckiest person ever to pick out every defective aquarium in the store? And of course I discover the leak after all the stores are closed and I have to work first thing tomorrow so I just have to let it sit there leaking for another 20 hours before I can replace it, and then it's going to take me at least 3 hours to fucking replant all the plants.

J F M S U this is my best looking aquarium too
>>
>>2071246

Local pet shop doesn't differentiate between preggo females and other shrimp
>>
>>2071266
Lacy java fren, or java wendelov
>>
>>2071264
Why don't you contribute maybe?
>>
>>2071267
Bad karma?
>>
>>2071274
I do. but it's understandable that you didn't know that considering this is an anonymous image board
>>
>>2071266
It's a variety of java fern. Windelov, I think.
>>
>>2071276
Doubt
>>
>>2071279
Troll
>>
>>2071269
Are you sure? Every fish store I've ever gone to has picked out exactly which creature im buying. I always pick the berried shrimp
>>
>>2071301
Then stop. It's not hard anon.
>>
>>2071304

>>2071301 and >>2071276
aren't the same person
>>
>>2071002
So sorry to hear that anon.
>>
>>2071087
>implying the oceans and seas don't have an abundance of saltwater live plants.

It's fucking called seaweed dumbass.

If I ever have a saltwater tank I am not going to waste time with corals, I would have one or two as a centerpiece, but other than that I would plant the shit out of it.
>>
>>2071148
If you are really worried, then you can simply mineralize it.

Basically, get all the dirt you are going to put in your tank. Soak the shit out of it in luke warm water. Then spread it out on cookie/baking sheets/plastic tarp/whatever that isn't toxic to fish.

Spread it out as thin as possible then let it bake dry in the warm sunlight.

You can also get some porous material like a cooking strainer or whatnot to sift it to remove as much large debris as possible. Before you soak it.

Then you just soak the dirt again, drain, and bake. Repeat as many times as you feel necessary.

This is what "mineralized topsoil" is. Of course, doing this can leech out some of the nutrition that the plants will need, so I believe those who mineralize topsoil actually add things in during the final stage, where they are putting the soil in the tank itself and layering it with things like a gravel cap and such.

So, basically do your research. But it's all super easy and hella cheap if you know what you are doing.

Plus, there are a wide range of aquarium safe fertilizers, both liquid and in capsules, if you don't want to go through the hassle and just toss plain mineralized soil in.

So no matter what you choose, it's all good.
>>
>>2071312
*sigh* the struggles of an anonymous board.. People don't realize how many people are telling them they're wrong, because they tell themselves it's all one person.
>>
>>2071336
>It's fucking called seaweed dumbass
ah the irony.
you know seaweed isn't a plant, right?
please tell me you do, oh brilliant one calling people "dumbass."
>>
>>2071159
i didnt say anything about mangroves
>>
>>2071345
It has roots and you stick it in the dirt or sand, or you attach the roots to rock/driftwood. It has chlorophyll and feeds off of sunlight, as well as nutrients it absorbs from the dirt/sand/water.

At this point whether it is technically a plant or not doesn't matter.

Now quit being an anal pained autist and contribute something to this thread instead of shitting it up with your off topic posts.
>>
>>2071359
>It has roots
see, you had to start off with a lie right off the bat.
>>
>>2071359
Sorry to say anon, but algae doesn't have roots. It's not a complex enough organism for that. However, I would argue with you that they are 'plants'. Obviously, scientifically they aren't, but their care requirments are very similar (light, nutes (nitrogen, phosphate)). As far as I'm concerned, when looking at my reef, is that the macro algaes looks a hell of a lot more like plants than anything else in that alien environment (except my mangrove).
>>
>>2071259
>those godly zooanthids
i hope to some day have enough money and time to graduate to reefs
>>
>>2071267
is the tank perfectly level?
if the last one that leaked was in the same spot and it wasn't level either that could be causing your problem
>>
File: mangrove1.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
mangrove1.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2071204 here

Since apparently mangroves fit in this thread, here are some of mine. I collect them every year when I go vacation in Sanibel, FL

These were planted ~6 months ago and half are doing great! The other half have yet to hit their growth spurt.

Second from the right is exhibiting albinism, likely due to the BP oil spill stressing local trees. I'm really surprised that it put out even the tiny leaves it did.

The red zip ties indicate which ones were treated with pesticide and the plastic wrap and tape are to keep the soil enclosed, as I have a terrible fungus gnat problem.
>>
File: mangrove2.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
mangrove2.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>2071397

Here are my older ones. They're about three years old and live in a gallon glass jar half full of rep-cal sand. They've already rooted into the bottom, and some algae has taken up in the sand.

There is one fingernail sized snail that lives in there too, who burrows in the sand most of the time. It keeps some of the algae on the glass at bay.

Unfortunately this winter some of the leaves have started to dry out and break off due to lack of humidity.
>>
>>2071400
get yerself a humidifier anon
>>
File: 619f5It4X3L._SL1500_[1].jpg (54 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
619f5It4X3L._SL1500_[1].jpg
54 KB, 1500x1500
>>2071402

Thats what that is in the bottom left corner
>>
File: kelp.jpg (114 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
kelp.jpg
114 KB, 1000x750
>>2071365
>>2071385
If this shit doesn't have roots then how the hell does it stay attached to rocks?
>>
>>2071397
You should take a very slim cutting from a healthy tree and graft it onto the one with albinism, so it has some chlorophyll and continues to grow. It would be so awesome to have a "spotted" tree.
>>
>>2071409
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holdfast
>>
>>2071232
>Because when someone says aquarium you don't think of those things. You think of fish.
>You think of fish.
>You
Found the pleb
>>
File: you shall not pass.jpg (654 KB, 1024x980) Image search: [Google]
you shall not pass.jpg
654 KB, 1024x980
My clownfish and domino damsel are fighting over who gets the new anemone I rescued from petco today.
>>
>>2071422
did you rescue the clown and the domino from petco too?
what about the live rock?
liveRockLivesMatter
>>
File: P2270044 (1024x897).jpg (663 KB, 1024x897) Image search: [Google]
P2270044 (1024x897).jpg
663 KB, 1024x897
>>2071423
I rescued the rock from Fiji, Haiti, Florida and Tonga. Miserable places with terrible scenery and weather.

but yeah, I saved the fish from petco.
>>
>>2071425
im so relieved you saved the rock from the big scary ocean, a true hero.
post results of fish fight winner
>>
>>2071426
will do.

my rock is like ten years old and recycled through at least 3 different tanks. I don't think any of those places are harvesting any more. Florida still sells cultured stuff.

Mine's mostly dead though. Pretty much just basement rock by now. I'm working on getting it resurrected.
>>
>>2071340
What other ferts are there? I add carbon and iron to my tank every other day and daily, respectively, along with a daily dose of calcium for my snails in the tank I already have.
>>
>>2071436
not him but phosphorus and nitrogen are necessary. Usually dosed as phosphate and ammonium nitrate I think. Then there's a shitload of trace elements plants need. Molybdenum is one. I can't recall the others.

there's commercial preparations out there that have all this stuff though. Lots of them.
>>
>>2071436
The three major macro nutrients are nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus. These three nutrients are what plants need the most of. Everything else is considered micros - iron, copper, calcium, magnesium, boron, etc. The plants need them to grow but in much smaller amounts. Overdosing on micros will cause more harm than good, eventually leading to plant toxicity and plant death.
>>
>>2071397
What do you do with all of those
>>
>>2071464

They're just house plants.
>>
>>2071259
Honestly if you just wanna keep zoas and other low maintenance corals, just go ahead and do it. Go out, buy a 10 gallon tank, some salt and RO and throw it together. The vast majority of soft corals will actually benefit from not having expensive equipment like protein skimmers and reactors, since softies don't need calcium and all the other minerals that stonies need. All you need is a somewhat decent light, any light that grows freshwater plants will do fine. Then start growin zoas! They're super rewarding to grow, and if you can keep a dirty tank (i.e. no tech besides filter and light), you'll get great growth. The only other thing you'll need to buy is a hydrometer and actinics so you can see them glow :)
>>
>>2071665
was meant for you, sorry I'm like... really really high.
>>2071392
>>
>>2071425
Who's gettin the nem now? I really wish I could get one... I just have so much coral filling every nook and cranny of the tank, there's about one spot where a RBTA would be OK, but if he decided to move he would take out about 4-8 corals in any direction.
>>
File: IMG_0220[1].jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0220[1].jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Check out the size of this sucker. This is a red/black brittle star that I got when he was about the size of a softball, now he's freakin huge
>>
File: 1436021476428.jpg (56 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1436021476428.jpg
56 KB, 720x720
>My moss always looks stringy, dark, covered in algae and nothing like it does in show tanks.
>>
>>2071665
>actinics so you can see them glow
Potentially a really stupid question, but would those blue Glofish™ LEDs make them glow, or do they need the actinics to stay alive?
>>
>>2071412
>Oh look! These plants have roots!
>What do you mean their not plants and therefor have no roots! Look at it, they are right in front of your face!
>Fine, we will call it a different name, but it's still a bunch of roots, you dumbass.
>>
>>2071711
Get a very wide toothed comb, with smooth round edges, and just groom your moss on a daily basis like you do human hair. Start at the very tips, and then gradually work your way inwards, just like removing knots in human hair. Until you are combing it straight from the roots without snagging.
>>
>>2071737
roots absorb nutrients.
holdfasts don't.

they're not roots. If algae were arranged like plants we'd just call them plants.

if one organ looking like another meant they were the same thing then you'd be a taxonomist instead of an unemployed dependent of your parents.

alas it's not to be.
>>
File: 20160227_145509.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160227_145509.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Something has laid eggs in my tank and I'm pretty sure its not the snails.
>>
I have some ghost catfish that have been in quarantine for three days now and they'll frequently just lay motionless on the bottom of the tank, but they perk right up if I nudge a decoration or put food in there. Ammonia and nitrites are zero, nitrates are ten-ish, and temp is 79. I'm not sure what's wrong here.
>>
>>2071730
Those lights should make them glow just fine. And no, they do not need actinics to survice. Actually, it's less beneficial to their growth so have it, they would prefer 10k light. But actinics make them so pretty
>>
>>2071858
Some fish are just like that.
>>
>>2071841
snails or maybe fry.
>>
>>2071876
I guess my tetras or Corie's spawned then
>>
>>2071858
That's how ghost fish are m80
>>
>>2071880
Cories
>>
>>2071863
>>2071907
I don't know of you're being serious or memeing. I never see them do that in the store tanks.
>>
>>2071858
Why are you quarantinin? IMHO, it's useless and only serves to kill a sick animal
>>
Anyone have advice for getting hair algae out of Java moss? My siphon isn't quite cutting it, and ofc the RCS won't touch the stuff.
>>
>>2071942
There are three options.
Leave the sick animal in the tank
>Chance to let it recover, higher risk of other animals getting sick.
Euthanise the sick animal immediately
>No chance of it recovering, lower risk of other animals getting sick.
Quarantine tank for the sick animal
>Chance to let it recover, lower risk of other animals getting sick.
Seems pretty simple to me.
>>
>>2071951
What your referring to would be a hospital tank. Not quarantine. Quarantine is for fish/animals that your unsure of the health (newly received). Hospital is for treating fish, which you'd be stupid for purchasing a fish that is sick. Regardless, if you know anything about the disease triangle, you'd know that disease/sickness needs an environment that is conducive to it thriving. A well maintained display tank should not be in a condition to allow any disease to thrive, thus cutting off the triangle.
>>
>>2071954
What if the conditions that allow a particular disease to thrive are broader than the conditions that allow the inhabitants to thrive?
>>
>>2071945
Here>>2071740
>>
>>2071908
Oh fuck yes seven baby Corie's on the way y'all!

How long till they hatch? And can I move the eggs into a nursery without harming them?
>>
>>2071671
he crawled back behind the rocks, so nobody's claiming him atm.

I dunno if either fish will. Usually in the past when I had a nemone hosting fish they jumped right in in a day or so. Who knows?

and yeah, they don't stay in one spot. I don't think I'd let one loose in an established reef tank. I might add corals later if he settles down in one spot.
>>
Someone make a new thread, this one is dead.
>>
I'm going to be getting a 65 gallon tank, and I'm going to be transporting fish from my 20 gallon to the new one. I'm aware I need to let it cycle for at least two days before putting any fish in, and I'll be putting the filter from my 20 in there to get the bacteria to match or at least be similar.
My main question for you, /an/, is "Are Bala sharks aggressive?" Notable aspect of the name shark makes it seem a dumb question, but I've had websites say that beta fish will fight anything and everything. You guys informed me they're more prone to attack bright colored or big finned fish. Rasbora's and fem bristlenoses are fine.

Are these sharks decent, or do they act like beta fish?
>>
File: 14-underwater-fish-photobom.jpg (53 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
14-underwater-fish-photobom.jpg
53 KB, 600x450
>>2072178
>I'm aware I need to let it cycle for at least two days before putting any fish in
>two days
>>
>>2072180
I know you guys let it cycle for months, but two days is an absolute minimum, specifically for the Hardy fish I have now.>>2072180
>>
File: 1431750999323.jpg (611 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1431750999323.jpg
611 KB, 1280x960
So, uh. Can you do a soil only substrate?
I'm planning to do a Walstad tank, but I have a lot of bottom dwellers that would just mix the sand and soil up. If I get a loam based soil (mostly sand anyway), could I use that as a substrate alone?
>>
>>2072187
lol.

it takes 4-6 weeks without exception. Two days won't do anything. I'm pretty certain you don't understand what cycling is.

sticking an established filter on an empty tank without any ammonia in it will just kill the filter.

You'd be better off putting the fish in for two days without any filter and then once some ammonia has built up then switching the filter over to the new tank.

I realize this is greek to you and you won't do it. I just feel a duty to say it.
>>
>>2072188
Your still going to want some type of soil cap, just put a little sand on it.
>>
>>2072197
Thing is, the sand will just get dug away by the fish. I'm planning on lots of catfish and loaches.

What advantage does a cap give you?
>>
>>2072180
I let my tanks cycle for 2 weeks minimum if I'm ghost feeding, or one month if I'm not. Cycle your tank otherwise you risk your fishies lives. Also don't get Bala's. They get way to big for an aquarium, and often kill themselves by running into the glass, because they really like to swim, and swim fast.
>>
>>2072198
hmm.... well a cap just helps keep tannins separate, and allow nutrients to slowly leach into the water instead of just getting blasted in there. If you really don't want to have a cap, what I would do is go buy some good carpeting plants like dwarf baby tears or something, and plant them in strips (think corn rows) and try to fill up as much surface as you can. Give them about a month or two to grow in under heavy lighting (they can take any light you can throw at them), and they will root in thoroughly, holding your substrate down. My baby tears field is like a mat, I cant even push my finger through it to get down to the soil.
>>
>>2072202
Alright.
>>
>>2072204
Best of luck. Also a tip, when your doing water changes, use airline tubing as your siphon, and let it run down the glass, disturbs a lot less soil, which is something your going to have to deal with a lot
>>
>>2072188
Fuck this thread. OP ruined the /aq/ general now everyone is going different places for aquarium help.
>>
>>2072207
Shut up
>>
Hey /aq/

My betta's 3 gallon planted tank is getting a little too much waste on the bottom. He tends to eat shrimp, but should I try them again anyway? I don't want to try a single cory since they need a few of them to be happy, but I need a bottom feeder or cleaner.
>>
>>2072212 Try a larger shrimp, like an Amano or something. Really you should just vacuum it up though, it's not good to have sitting there.
>>
>>2072209
Fuck you
>>
hey /aq/, just finished cycling my 10 gallon but it only has 5 gallons in it because i'm getting a pair of fiddler crabs (male and female). I also want to get a few low end brackish scavengers because the ghost shrimp fucking suck lol. So how much marine salt would i need toadd to make the water have an SG of 1.003?
>>
File: 1455176904521.gif (649 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1455176904521.gif
649 KB, 300x300
>>2072207
>i can only care for aquariums with shitty coloured gravel in them, so I hate anyone who tries anything more advanced than me
Heh, nice one m8.
>>
>>2072246
about 1/2 of a cup of marine salt to get to about 1.003-4, which will be your ideal range. That measurement is based off of "salinity by aquavitro", which is also what I recommend using. A little expensive, but with how little you'll be using it'll last for quite some time. 10 Cups worth costs about 20 bucks, which will get you through 20 100% water changes.
>>
>>2071980
OK so the eggs completely disappeared.
>>
>>2072253
Sorry, I forgot to add that that's 1/2 cup of Aquavitro salt for every 5 gallons of water.
>>
>>2072255
Probably eaten by tetras. They probably weren't cory eggs either though, so don't be too disappointed. Cories tend to lay eggs in crevices or on plants, not on glass. At least not that I've seen.
>>
>>2072258
I've had albino and emerald lay eggs on the glass but because they were laid there they were all eaten.
>>
>>2070279
looks like golden dojo to me
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 407x273) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 407x273
My kissing gorrame ^.^
>>
>>2072258
Cories almost always lay their eggs on flat surfaces like glass.
>>
>>2072262
Huh, interesting.
>>2072265
cute, how old is it?
>>
>>2072267
Idk I took him from the petshop hehe
>>
File: daniel-craig-little-face.jpg (51 KB, 500x636) Image search: [Google]
daniel-craig-little-face.jpg
51 KB, 500x636
>>2072265
>>
Alright guys, sobive been told that aquarium sand is anaerobic and toxic for fish. Is this true? Cause I'm getting some fish that need to burrow.
>>
>>2072284
in freshwater it usually will be.

it's probably not a big problem though. Pretty much all substrates are anaerobic and toxic.
>>
>>2072288
Huh, would live plants help with that?
>>
>>2072291
Yeah you stupid dummy. It's common knowledge.
>>
>>2072284
If the fish burrow, they will stir up your sand and stop it from forming anaerobic pockets.

Larger grain sand also helps.
>>
>>2072385
>>2072385
Mines not even real 'sand' its heavily ground up soft gravel that looks like sand.
>>
>>2072404
ground up rocks and gravel is sand you stupid fricker frick
>>
>>2072256
>>2072253
thanks mah nig
>>
>>2072253
Also, what size cup lol, im a newbie to brackish
>>
>>2072424
>>2072375
>>2072226
>>2072207
What the fuck is with all the anal pains today? And not just today, but through out the entire fucking thread.

Is this all one samefag? Or are anons genuinely autistic enough to get buttblasted over the OP pic not having a fish in it?
>>
File: oh man.gif (855 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
oh man.gif
855 KB, 500x281
>>2072442
>what size cup
>>
>>2072442
I believe the anon meant a standard regular measuring cup used for cooking/baking. But I know nothing about saltwater/measuring salinity so I may be wrong.
>>
>>2072449
Nope.. your right....... >>2072442 Are you sure you can handle a brackish tank? They aren't exactly easy. I have a freshwater, brackish, and reef, and the brackish is the biggest pain out of all three to work on.
>>
>>2072447
Why don't you fuck off ya salty faggot.
>>
>leaving a grill in charge of feeding my tank for a week while Im on break
I'm scared, /aq/
>>
>>2072511
Use a pill organizer with food portions for each day.
>>
File: Radion Profiles.png (53 KB, 1141x812) Image search: [Google]
Radion Profiles.png
53 KB, 1141x812
Who here Radion LED master race here?

Anyone want to share profiles/comments and imputs.

I know mine is horribly over complicated and probably not getting maximum growth on my corals. I made mine to start day and night cycle at 11 so I could enjoy my tank more in the evenings.
>>
File: rsz_20160224_131421.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20160224_131421.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>2072535
Also my orange spotted blenny finally came out of hiding and stiring the sandbed.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2070021
someone help me im new to aquariums my tank is cycling and smells like shit probably from accidently over feeding him the water is kinda milky hes in a 5 gallon tank until he gets bigger how often should i change water during cycling for a small thanks guys
>>
>>2072559
While cycling a tank it should be 25% every day. Once the cycle is established it should be 25% once a week.

So basically, get a string, tape the end to the top of the tank at the water line, hanging down the side. (obviously do this when the tank is at it's fullest) Cut the string at the base of the tank. Lift string up until the end is touching the top at the water line. Mark the tank where the string folds with a crayon or marker.

Emptying the tank to that mark is 50% of the water. So, take the string, cut it at the fold. Take the new end, and lift up to the top. Leave a mark at the new fold, that is 25%.
>>
>>2072567
>string, tape, cut, tape, percentage, string, cut
Or you could just use a tape measure like a sane person.
>>
Anon with the 40-80ppm Nitrate planted tank with shrimp here,

After a 50% water change and putting back my water lettuce (they're in a pretty bad condition from sitting in a bucket), I tested my nitrates and they're near 0ppm now. I think I just need to be careful leaving a zucchini slice in the tank for 24 hours, my shrimp don't seem to mind the nitrate spike but my kuhlis and honey gouramis that I'll be transferring out of quarantine this week will no doubt be a little uncomfortable
>>
>>2072581
No shit, or eye ball it. So said it had to be exactly 25%. I use to be anal about 25% water changes, now I just do whatever I feel like.

I use to have my heater laying across the 25% mark so I knew when to stop...
>>
>>2072567
You stupid frickin asshole
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.