[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does shit like pic related and other painted or dyed plants and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 856x411) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 856x411
Does shit like pic related and other painted or dyed plants and animals (like the dyed fish) piss others off, or am I just being autistic?
>>
Why are painted cacti so common in shit stores?
It's not even decent quality paint or done very well, then the really obvious glued on flowers. I dislike these things but I still giggle at them every time I pass by.
>>
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 323x454) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 323x454
>painting a green cactus green
>>
/join showderp
>>
File: painted-succulent.jpg (73 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
painted-succulent.jpg
73 KB, 640x480
>not buying superior glitter paint succulents
>>
File: home-design.jpg (71 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
home-design.jpg
71 KB, 500x376
>>
File: JOpu6bc.jpg (156 KB, 1136x852) Image search: [Google]
JOpu6bc.jpg
156 KB, 1136x852
>>
File: 1456185254040.gif (500 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1456185254040.gif
500 KB, 500x281
>>2069213
>>
Are these supposed to be like flowers, but less appealing? I don't understand.
>>
>>2069233

It's for people who impulse buy and don't know what the fuck they're doing
>>
>>2069216
i could see myself buying one of these on shrooms but everything else posted here is beyond terribler
>>
i feel bad for the glitter covered norfolk pines every christmas so i save some...
>>
>>2069252
You're not saving anything, you're furthering the problem. It just like the petco bettas.
>>
for plants I don't know much, but I know for animals it's shitty. especially the dyed baby chickens that are sold as novelty gifts for Easter that idiots don't realize grow into actual chickens
>>
>>2069362
>dyed chickens

Holy shit, that's a thing?
>>
>>2069362
You mean like peeps?
>>
>>2069369
Generally the dyed chicks are done using some weird method where the eggs are hatched under special lights that makes the chick's baby fluff end up whatever neon color you want. It doesn't hurt them in any way whatsoever and the adults are normal colored.

That said, it's a problem because it causes a lot of idiots to impulse buy them and not take care of them properly.
>>
>>2069370
that's part of the novelty that sells them. "living peeps"

>>2069376
this
>>
>>2069376
Mommy, get me a PINK ONE!1!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=949aZmihtuc
>>
>>2069388
IDGAF that blue one is tits
>>
>>2069254

depends on how you look at it, the plants are alive and get thrown out if they aren't bought if i pick up one or two on clearance before they're tossed i see it as saving them
>>
>>2069376
special lights. nigga you crazy. they use friggin dye.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5TeaMWqSlI
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R21HQKkldqE
>>
>>2069496

+ no it doesn't stop the entire thing from happening, but let's be honest here me buying a plant on clearance before it gets thrown away doesn't keep the entire business going... it also doesn't help anything if i don't buy them cuz they're still going to take tons of trees and cover them in glitter for people who see them as disposable... i take one home for like a dollar at the end of the season, take care of it and let it grow then i'm actually helping the tree i have, instead of letting it become garbage too...

if people took care of the plants after bringing them home some of the issue would be helped, you can't fix the problem by avoiding it entirely...

and in the case of pet store animals, they deserve good homes just as much as any other animal someone could buy... the only way to truly solve the problem isn't by letting the animals unfortunate enough to be in those stores rot, it's to work on fixing the laws that allow these places to operate and raising awareness so that more people consider the validity of those laws being passed...
>>
You are the dumbest.
>>
>>2069242
A way to kill the plant for sure, and to insure more purchases. It's like pet-stores selling you a baby oscar and a ten gallon.
>>
>>2069515
they don't give a fuck that you have a hero complex when buying them, just that you're increasing demand, which you are.
>>
>>2069573

not really... and it's not really a complex, i mean only as much of one as purposely not buying something you like and take care of cuz you think the dollar you spent is gonna keep thousands of plants from being decorated and sold every year...
>>
>>2069657
>not really...
He's exactly right. No one in retail is logging the motivation you have when you buy an item, just that you buy it, and that they need more.
>>
>>2069920

and i'm saying that it's subjective what actually matters... i kinda just feel like... they can be taken care of and get better from that point, so while it sucks that they were decorated at all they're still alive already so why not?

i don't think the real problem is consumer demand it's that it's allowed or a thing at all that's the issue... i can continue to never buy a betta from petco for the rest of my life, but they'll still sell them unless laws are changed and people understand why it's cruel... leaving the fish in those conditions though isn't necessarily the right thing to do for the fish that are already there though

i guess i just see value in life that already exists... i understand why someone might disagree with me, but i'm still gonna feel that way afterwards do yeah...

two people agreeing with each other doesn't change my mind, now there's just two people i disagree with

i don't care if the store knows my motivation... i understand that they don't, and i also understand that unless i'm buying them from a small business (which i've personally never seen sell one) then my participation in buying a single clearance item is rather meaningless in the grand scheme of things... that's just how shit works... sure if everyone collectively agreed to do that it'd make a difference, but you know... good luck with that
>>
>>2069939
No, supply and demand. You are creating a demand that they have a financial obligation to supply.
>>
>>2069939
Buying the dying plant on clearance is still buying the plant.
>>
>>2069939
>they're still alive already so why not?

you sound like the type of person who buys dogs from shitty Craigslist breeders
>>
>>2069939
>my participation in buying a single clearance item is rather meaningless in the grand scheme of things

you really think you're the only faggot that thinks this way and does this? no, you're not. every purchase adds up, there's no excuse to add to it
>>
>>2069376
>hatched under special lights
Don't know where the hell you got that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/02/us/dyeing-easter-chicks-raises-concerns.html?referer=
>The dye is either injected in the incubating egg or sprayed on the hatchling
>>
>>2069951

you understand that i could not shop at all in the place and the situation would be no different right? that it takes organized movements to help with shit like that not a handful of self righteous people who don't buy something right?

>>2069952

i'm saying it's literally pennies to the company, and not of the grave significance being claimed... maybe if i went every year and bought a shit load of them it'd be different, but one isn't some huge number that's causing thousands to be made... yes you could go on and on about the fact that a sale is a sale ultimately, but then the fact remains that people will buy whether or not i do in large quantities and the result will be the same...

again the problem has to do with what companies are allowed to do and people not generally caring rather than whether or not i choose to buy a single item... boycotting only works on a larger scale, that's just reality...

>>2069977

i wouldn't personally get an animal off of craigslist, but i don't care if someone else does... i'm not gonna rant about what someone else should do with their money or what deserves to be taken care of and what doesn't

a craigslist dog deserves the same kinda care an expensive one with papers does, so i see nothing wrong with someone making that decision if they're choosing it...

stricter laws on the breeding and sale of those dogs would do more than letting already living dogs suffer in shit conditions or be put down etc

cuz the real problem isn't supply and demand the issue are the laws in place that don't regulate the supply properly in the first place... once you have a bunch of living creatures or something out of the deal it's a little bit irrelevant what the conditions were that led to their existence and they still need care

>>2069978

i know most people who buy plants buy them to let them die after a season and then repeat the process the next year... it's a common thing and the cause of most of the sales
>>
>>2070175

+ btw

>>2069978
>>2069952
>>2069951
>>2069977

i don't see things the way that you (yes i realize i'm talking to multiple people) do, chill out, accept the difference of opinion and move on... endlessly badgering me about your feelings and opinions (and yes they're opinions, we feel differently about the root problem and how fixing it would be best, we also see the life that's already there differently as well) isn't going to change my mind... if the first person who shared that sentiment said exactly the same thing and i disagreed, continuing on with it isn't likely to make me... i'm not failing to miss the logic, or reasoning, and i'm not failing to understand the other perpsective... i see it, i understand it, and i still disagree... accept it and move on

and when you all have some sort of organized boycott that doesn't have a sad amount of participants and is actually worthwhile i'll feel differently... but until then you're the raw vegan screaming about how right you are and how everyone should be just like you to fix the world and everything in it... shit that doesn't work

and while i don't agree with the trees being decorated like that, they can easily be cleaned up and cared for afterwards so it's not the biggest deal in the world that boycotting is necessary for... there's way bigger problems to get worked up about
>>
>>2070182

that shit doesn't work* my bad
>>
>>2069216
>kosmik kaktus
kektus
>>
>>2069196
why do you get pissed over dyed plants??
it's not like it's harming the plant, to dye it you just put whatever colour you want the plant to be in the water, then the plant absorbs the colour and poof.
it's nothing like colouring a dog?
>>
>>2072029
It encourages dipshits who see pretty colours to buy them, and then they inevitably end up dead or in the bin after the colours fade out.
>>
>>2069514
>>2069388
Is it safe to guess that these are male chicks who would have been shredded otherwise?
>>
>>2072039
not really, generic chicks don't cost much of anything
>>
Makes me think of Alice in Wonderland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfmAzoILaK8

I don't mind it for bouquets, but for potted plants it's pretty stupid.
>>
>>2069196

It makes me very angry, too.

Same thing for mixed succulent pots where the succulents have VERY different needs in terms of water/sunlight.

These are all things for people to buy, enjoy for a month, and then it dies and they just toss it.

The only benefit is being able to get these cheap when they go on clearance, but at that point they're usually too close to death to bother.
>>
>>2069213
This makes me sad... Every christmas too you get thoe little pines sprayed in fake snow. Dyed plants I can live with, but painting over a plants leaves is just a mix of dumb and tragic I can't deal with.
>>
>>2070182
Do you happen to be a woman?
Just asking.
>>
>>2072039
no, almost definitely female since companies know male chickens are illegal in most cities
>>
>>2072224
>male chickens are illegal in most cities
Really?
>>
>>2072129

only at night
>>
>>2069496
>one or two on clearance
>still paying
No anon, this is the point where you start stealing
>>
>>2072292

nah, nothing against shoplifting, but getting caught with a glitter covered pine tree that's cheap as fuck would be retarded... if i like a tree i'll buy it and take care of it, but i'm not gonna go full psycho over plants being covered in glitter
>>
>>2072228
no.
>>
>>2072228
keeping male chickens within city limits is unlawful in many areas. meaning they'll get taken away by animal control. too noisy and too aggressive. so most people don't want them anyway
>>
>>2069202
It's a brighter green than the unpainted cactus would be. The photo doesn't capture how N E O N those colors are.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.