[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can dogs be racist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: When dogs attack.jpg (66 KB, 845x450) Image search: [Google]
When dogs attack.jpg
66 KB, 845x450
Okay /an/imals, got a question for you:

Can dogs be racist? I have a three year-old white siberian husky, that, to put it mildy, is very aggressive towards dark-skinned individuals, especially men. She is as sweet as can be around other people, but will growl and lash out whenever an African American person is around. We had a plumber over yesterday and I had to keep her on a lead to stop her from biting his leg off.

Can dogs naturally be racist? Is it learned behavior from their masters? Full disclosure: we had a break-in last July, they stole a number of electronics and jewelry. Ever since my daughter (who was home alone with the dog) is also afraid of African American men.

What should I do?
>>
You have a smart dog thats looking out for its family.
>>
>>2069070
Yes, my dog is also very racist towards people with black skin.
>>
>>2069070

yes.
>>
>>2069070
Well I know a dog that has fear aggression towards bright blue and reflective clothing so I'm sure dogs can develop aversions to skin colour as well.
>>
my dog doesn't like chinese accents
>>
>>2069070
Natural? I don't know

Learned? Absolutely.

My childhood dog was a rescue dog that was found chained up on the side of a road. We speculated her first owners were Hispanic that had abused her as every time I had one of my Mexican buddies over she was less than welcoming.
>>
Dogs cannot naturally be racist. They are obviously picking up on subtle clues from you.
I find it very problematic that the first time your dog was exposed to African Americans was when the burglars visited your house. Do you not have any black friends? Or are African Americans just 'the help' to you?
>>
File: 1456177750226.jpg (45 KB, 599x443) Image search: [Google]
1456177750226.jpg
45 KB, 599x443
>>2069148
>>
>>2069070
Your daughter could probably use some therapy and the dog could probably use some positive training where it gets re-introduced to dark skinned people in a positive way.

Both your dog and daughter need to learn the difference between a threat and just a person, otherwise it's really going to affect both their lives pretty badly OP. Maybe not the dog so much, but definitely your daughter.
>>
>>2069148
Well not naturally, but they can learn to generalize from bad experiences.

Not a good thing but it does happen.
>>
>>2069148
>>2069151
Yes I am aware that they have not had a lot of positive interactions with African Americans. I am thinking of ways that I can reintroduce them to people of color. I don't want to just call the plumber though. It would be perfect if I could find a dog trainer who was a person of color. I was thinking maybe a Ceasar Chavez 'the dog whisperer' type, but black.
>>
>>2069158
The best thing for your daughter would be therapy-a break in is a terrible experience no matter who did it. Even if it's just a short therapy session to check her out and make sure she's handling it well and not getting PTSD or some shit, you know?

As for the dog, if you have time and some money, look up a trainer that has gone to a college or gotten an apprenticeship from someone who has been to a college for dog psychology and training. Despite the televisions love of Ceaser, he really isn't the best option. Now combine that with the fact that he's 'self taught' and they disproved the dominence theory years ago, and you could honestly create more problems than solving any.
>>
>>2069162
>>2069162
>The best thing for your daughter would be therapy-a break in is a terrible experience no matter who did it
Thank you but yes, she has seen a therapist and the diagnosis was mild PTSD but she is coping well. She was not physically harmed and I hate to think the incident is making her biased towards certain people.

>As for the dog, if you have time and some money, look up a trainer that has gone to a college or gotten an apprenticeship from someone who has been to a college for dog psychology and training.
Where is the best place to find such trainers? I have been looking on craigslist etc. but the lack of photos of the trainers and any sort of credentials makes it hard to know who is the real deal.
>>
>>2069070

I'm convinced that there are no racist dogs. I've been told several times by people I know that "oh my gosh, my dog is so racist, she doesn't like black people so watch out." When I show up, the dog's chill as fuck. Why? Because I'm chill with dogs, and their owners are chill with me because we're friends. The only other contact these dogs have with black people is on a walk, say, and if their owner gets scared or nervous, the dog picks up on that and either is afraid themselves or gets aggressive to protect their owner. Dogs aren't racist; their owners are.

Now, in this case, the dog was probably distrustful of your plumber because they were a stranger, not because they're black. OP, you should check your own attitude, and if you get nervous around black people, quit being racist, faggot. If you get nervous because you're worried your dog will freak out, the dog picks up on that, figures you're nervous because of this stranger, and WILL freak out. Have some black friends over, if they like dogs, and watch the magic happen.
>>
I dont know about dogs being racist, but I had a rottweiler that was terrified of Amish people.
>be us
>at flea market with doggo, everybody loves him and pets him
>theres a small hill and creek type thing to one side of us that's small enough to step over
>group of about 9 or so amish people, all in traditional and matching clothing march down the hill and begin to cross the creek
>out of nowhere, our 150 pound rottweiler who has been chill as fuck this whole time lets out two huge barks at them
>the amish people are scared shitless
>we immediately pull him away into an adjacent booth
>for the whole rest of the trip he wouldnt go withing 20 feet of them

In retrospect I think it was a combination of the odd clothing and the fact that these 9 matching humans appeared out of fucking nowhere.
He passed almost a year ago now, and to this day I cant remember that dog being scared of a damn thing, except the Amish
>>
>>2069070
my shepherd never saw a black man before and was scared shitless the first time she did.

she warmed up to him after a bit but it was pretty funny.
>>
This is like that one episode of King of The Hill when Hank thought Ladybird was racist after she but a black mechanic. But it turned out she picked up on Hank's hatred for mechanics.
>>
>>2069347
Sorry *Bit a black mechanic.
>>
Maybe.

I'm a chocolate-american and my shiba inus go berserk around non-black people.

Sweetest things ever but non-blacks drive them into a frenzy.
>>
>>2069070
is your name Hank Hill and is your dog named lady bird?
>>
>>2069347
lol beat me to it
>>
I thought my dog was racist, and then it turned out he just hates poor people

>walking in the afternoon
>dog sees a friendly-looking black guy in regular street clothes
>NOPE
>angry barking, hackles raised, leash is pulled taut, etc.

>walking at midnight
>dog sees a black man in a suit get out of a car to go to his apartment
>dog is friendly, leash pulled taut so he can try to meet him, tail wagging like mad in circles

I was really relieved to find out my dog wasn't racist after all
>>
>>2069070
Sounds like your dog is just smart
>>
>>2069255
To be fair white people are much more likely to be victimized by blacks than blacks would be from whites so keeping your guard up isn't necessarily a bad idea
>>
>>2069104
>This
Your dog knows that around blacks, you can never relax.
>>
>>2069255
>Dindus break into anon's house and permanently traumatise his daughter and pet.
>STOP BEING RAYCUST WHITEY
Go fuck yourself with a fucking Dremel.
>>
>>2069070
>Is it learned behavior from their masters?
this or bad experiences.
my parents have a riesenschnauzer that is the cutest and friendliest dog but because my father always screams and rages at any bike that drives past him the dog changed it's behaviour towards anyone that is on a bycicle. went so far that he started to try to bite them.
>>
White South African here.
Dogs are racists based on their adoptive family.
>>
>>2069070
Both myPresa Canario and American Bulldog dislike all non whites intently. They're fine with white people however.

tfw my dogs are redpilled.
>>
>>2069397
This
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.