[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are crates really necessary for dogs? A lot of people that I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: custom_image[1].jpg (17 KB, 230x230) Image search: [Google]
custom_image[1].jpg
17 KB, 230x230
Are crates really necessary for dogs? A lot of people that I've spoken to say that it helps with their denning instincts, and that you're supposed to crate a dog while you're out, but I crate mine while he's sleeping at night and let him roam around during the day. He does pretty well right now and it looks like he just sleeps a lot anyways.
>>
>>2065776

Honestly, it's very much an American thing. No one I know in Aus ever uses one. I leave my dog to roam the house while i'm gone and he just sleeps or plays with his toys.

If your dog is not a destructive shit, don't bother.
>>
>>2065782
It's a useful tool. I trained my dog to go in it every night and now he puts himself to bed by 10PM and whenever he gets tired. Also it's nice because he doesn't want to sleep on my bed :^)
>>
also when people come over if he's too excitable it's good form to put him in his crate in a room that's ajar so he knows they're coming to visit you and not him. Really annoying to have guests act like retards around a dog you're trying to train, this stops the issue real quick
>>
>>2065782

Thanks, mate. I recently adopted a dog from a rescue and the foster said he's crate-trained, but he doesn't really need a crate. I just crate him at night so that my cat has free roam of the apartment. He doesn't like being crated during the day and will whimper in his crate, but he does a lot better when I leave him out when I leave. He's adjusted pretty well so far, but I've only had him for two weeks.I was talking to someone earlier today who said it takes rescues a couple months to adjust, and his behavior might get worse.

The foster also said he's cat-friendly but I don't want to risk leaving them alone unsupervised just yet.
>>
>>2065776
No. There is no reason to crate dogs
>>
I crated my dog when he was a puppy because he was getting into night time mischief. Now new crates himself every night. Its funny, he closes the gate but it doesn't actually close. But he will not get out unless I "open" it for him and let him out.
>>
i think crate training is important because if something happens and your dog needs to stay at the vet's for a period of time, or if you're traveling or something, you're going to want the dog to be able to be comfortably crated and not stressed out

it's also good for young and/or mischievous dogs when you're sleeping or away

my dog is pretty calm so i just leave him in my bedroom with the door closed when i'm out but he will use a crate quite happily if the need arises

my aunt is quite stupid, instead of crating her two dogs while she's at work because "it's cruel", she pays hundreds of dollars a month for them to stay at a kennel--- in a crate :\
>>
>>2065782
Yeah, same thing here.
>>
OP here. My dog will only whimper a little bit when he's in the crate and I'm in the apartment, but not in his line of view. However, he'll freak out if he's crated and I leave the apartment. He's fine at night, but what's the best way to deal with this without making him hate the crate altogether?
>>
>>2065802
>not sleeping with your pets
What kind of sick fuck are you?
>>
>>2065928
Slowly increase the amount of time you leave him in the crate. Never open it if he's crying or he'll learn that's what it takes to get out. Never use the crate as a form of punishment. What I did with my puppy was stuff a kong with PB, freeze it and give it to him in his crate on my way out. They say the first 20 minutes a dog is alone is the worst for their seperation anxiety and kong claims stuffing a toy will fill that time void.
>>
>>2065931
One who doesn't like hair, dirt and slobber all over where I sleep.
>>
>>2065948
groom and bathe your pet and that wont be an issue, faggot
>>
>>2065931
>enjoying getting parasites from your pets
>>
>>2065953
No matter how much you groom your dog its still going to shed.
Bathing it too much is not good for it. Under normal circumstance once every 2/3 weeks is sufficient.
>>
>>2065958
Enjoy not properly bathing and medicating your pets
>>
>>2065776
I train all my dogs to crate. For 2 reasons. First if someone comes over and I don't want them to be in contact with that person (for personal reasons). Two I live where we have hurricanes and sometimes we have to evacuate and it much easier and safer if they are created.
My dogs sleep in their crates by their self, the door are locked open and they come and go as they please and they prefer to sleep in them so in my case I find training them to crates are just fine.
>>
>>2065776
Is crate training that much of an important thing for potty training and puppies in general? That's really the only place I'm seeing it reccomended for. I'm getting a ten week old pup, and I'd honestly prefer not to crate him at night, or at least not lock him in it. Obviously, I don't want him to shit on my floor, but I'd much prefer to sleep with him. He'd pretty much be allowed on my bed forever anyway.
>>
they're not explicitly needed, but very helpful and beneficial if used correctly

>>2065985
you should be crating the puppy at night regardless, help cut down on separation anxiety and helps him realize that it's "his" area. and you absolutely should NOT let puppies free roam at night, unless you want to pay a large amount of money for an extraction surgery after he eats something when you're sleeping. it's no different than putting a baby in a crib
>>
>>2065776
i've owned many dogs and never use a crate unless transporting them. never really have any problems with it
>>
I see a dog's crate as its bedroom. For "go to your room" purposes or "this is where I sleep and hide things" purposes.

>shoe is missing
>go into next room
>dog dashes past me and into his box
>suspicious
>feel around amongst dog's bedding
>he's sitting in there being an obstruction
>find shoe with chewed laces
>ask dog what the heck this is
>he avoids my eyes and acts like I'm not there
>>
>>2065992
What about confining him to a puppy-safed room? My room, in this case. To help with separation anxiety, wouldn't it have to be away from me? Also, shouldn't they be slowly introduced to it at least? It seems sortof traumatic to rip them away from everything they know and then forced to stay alone in a box for eight to twelve hours.
>>
>>2065865

That's a good thought, although my dog was abandoned by its original owners when they moved, and he was stuffed into a run at the local humane society. I can crate train him to get him used to a crate, but will it erase the trauma he experienced?
>>
>>2066014
See
>>2065937
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.