[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What bird is this? My cat injured it, I want to keep it util
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: SAM_1583.jpg (528 KB, 1844x1383) Image search: [Google]
SAM_1583.jpg
528 KB, 1844x1383
What bird is this?
My cat injured it, I want to keep it util it can fly again, but I dont know what to feed it.
Im in Argentina.
>>
It's a fledgeling. Put it back where you found it. The parents will feed it, it's learning how to fly.
>>
>>2063486

No idea, but with that beak seeds/tiny pieces of fruit/vegetables.

Make sure you leave a bowl of water.
>>
>>2063489
its an adult, I found it in the paws of my cat
>>
>>2063500
Not that anon, but if you don't know what species it is, how can you be so sure it's an adult? To me, it has all the characteristics of a fledgling.

If I were you, I'd look for a shelter to put it in as soon as possible. Until then, I have no idea how you should care for it.
>>
>>2063509
well, my cat found it in my terrace (only place my cat can get), no nests there.
The bird has full feathers, or had before the cat rip off its tail.
And it can actually fly, a bit, before getting tired and falling to the floor.
>>
>>2063511

If its injured too badly it might not be able to be released into the wild...not all injuries ever heal well.

It might be a kind of bird that could theoretically (but not necessarily legally) make a good captive specimen. Some birds are incredibly easy to take care of in captivity. Others are very difficult. Unfortunately I don't know what kind of bird that is. I've never seen it before.

Your heart' is in the right place, OP. Thanks for caring enough to try to save this bird.

Is there a wildlife center you could give the bird to? I don't know if such things exist in your area. In mine they're very rare and the general advice is to just leave birds alone.

But a flying bird that can't fly properly due to an injury is basically a sitting duck, unless its a fledgling that's about ready to learn to fly. And since the cat has ripped out its tail, whether its a fledgling or not is a little less of a big thing because either way it's fucked if you let it out in that condition.

The important things to figure out are these things:

1. What kind of bird is it (this is going to be a hard question, there are well over 1,000 different birds in Argentina)?

2. Is it weaned?

3. What are the extent of its injuries?

A bird that hasn't been weaned needs to be hand-fed baby bird formula. A weaned bird can and will eat on its own, unless it is in so much pain that it has no appetite.

Try to keep the bird calm. Birds can die from stress, so don't make any sudden movements.
>>
>>2063486

It's probably very fucked already, just hand it over to the cat so he can finish it and never again try to save a bird from a cat; even if you do they never live anyway.
>>
The ruffled feathers indicate the bird is sick or stressed. Put it somewhere dark and warm, like a shoebox with some bedding and holes for air cut into it.

>>2063547

Wow, worst advice ever given.

>>2063545

This is good advice.

First, you want to figure out whether there are any bite or claw injuries on the animal. Cats have a high bacterial content in their saliva and the bird will die from even a small scratch. This is the highest priority. If the animal has an open wound, I would recommend euthanasia or taking it immediately to a bird carer/vet as you are unlikely to have the resources to treat it.

If it lives through the night, then start worrying about what to do next. Depending on the species some birds will go into shock and die no matter what you do. Others are fighters.

And, good on you for having your heart in the right place. Just don't let that stop you from giving it up to a carer if there's one available and that's the right decision.
>>
>>2063545

Also I want to add that to my eye, this bird looks like a fledgling.

I hesitate to recommend anything because like I said, I don't know what bird that is and so I don't want my advice to be wrong. But in the US, in captivity common birds like unweaned fledgling finches or sparrows are normally raised on bird formula.

The formula is mixed up from a powder with warm water, allowed to cool just slightly and then fed from the back (the tip of the handle part) of a plastic fork or spoon.

If you can't get baby bird formula, then if this were a bird whose diet was like that of a sparrow you could (in the short term at least) feed it canned dog food or human baby food with meat and rice.

The biggest hurdle to me giving you good advice is I don't know what that kind of bird that is and I don't know whether its weaned.

Of course trying to take care of this bird might also be illegal in your area and its not my intention to encourage you to break any laws.

[spoiler]Al mismo tiempo, no quiero que el pajaro muera[/spoiler]
>>
>>2063547

They often do live if you know what you're doing. You're talking out your ass, bro.

Yes, a lot of them die, but a lot of them actually can be saved. I've saved lots of animals from cats and about a third of them have lived and been returned to the wild.
>>
I sent the picture to an ornithologist friend who has travelled through argentina before. Hopefully she'll be able to ID it. It's very hard to ID fledglings (which this probably is, I think there's some down on the chest).
>>
>>2063486

Its an adult Picui Ground Dove. It is severely dehydrated and I am guessing its probably dead by now. If you've only had the bird for a few hours, then you can rest assured that the bird was probably dying before your cat got it and that is why it was so easy for your cat to snatch.

This board is basically 100% posers. See:
>>2063489
>>2063509
>>2063553

>I don't know what a fledgling is
>>
>>2063554

Congratulations on fucking up natural selection and interfering with the evolution of a whole species for your own self gratification. You're saving the world.
>>
>>2063625
this anon is right on all counts.

>>2063553
you might be guessing fledgling because fluffy, but that bird is fully feathered. it's just stressed and injured, so it's not presenting itself like a normal sleek adult.
>>
>>2064242
>interfering with the evolution of a whole species
A handful of animals being saved by some guy equates to messing with the entire species?
>>
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 412x672) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 412x672
>>2063486

It's a white bird of course.
I mean you are in Argentina!
>>
>>2063625

Poser? I literally said I didn't know whether it was a fledgling or even what kind of bird it was, and that I was hesitant to offer advice because I didn't want to be mistaken.
>>
>>2064418

Ok so don't post if you don't know anything about what you're talking about
>>
>>2064242
dumb outside cat owner poster
>>
>>2064450
>don't post if you don't know anything about what you're talking about
the rule that would kill /an/
>>
File: 4523.png (275 KB, 364x372) Image search: [Google]
4523.png
275 KB, 364x372
>>2064242

>muh natural selection meme
>>>/pol/
Domestic cats aren't natural, retard.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.