[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The only proper way to let your cat outside
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 9
File: catgarden.jpg (61 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
catgarden.jpg
61 KB, 500x500
The only proper way to let your cat outside
>>
>>2062026
I like that tunnel leading in to the house. Pretty neat.
>>
>>2062026
I let my cat outside. She's brought back 2 bats, 6 chipmunks, 1 baby weasel, and countless birds this past week alone. Get rekt Mother Nature and you cat raping homos.
>>
>>2062026
Built something similar to this for my kitties, they love it.
>>
File: 7658768.jpg (32 KB, 448x336) Image search: [Google]
7658768.jpg
32 KB, 448x336
>>
File: 54664656.jpg (153 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
54664656.jpg
153 KB, 600x400
>>
File: 6756757.png (791 KB, 1016x388) Image search: [Google]
6756757.png
791 KB, 1016x388
>>
>>2062029

That's seriously fucked up.
>>
>>2062026
This is fucking stupid. A cat is an outdoor animal. Most animals are outdoor animals.

>>2062180
That's nature.
>>
>>2062191
>A cat is an outdoor animal
citation needed
>>
>>2062105

I really like that. I'd just be worried about other parts I missed that they could sneak under/through
>>
>>2062191
>This is fucking stupid. A cat is an outdoor animal. Most animals are outdoor animals.

That's like saying animals don't belong in cages. WE KNOW, you god damn hippy. We do our best to emulate their natural environment while keeping them safe and comfortable. That's like the essence of pet ownership.
>>
>>2062193
It's almost as if I need to cite the fact that they are hunters.
>>
>>2062191

>An invasive species bred and maintained by humans being let out to kill native wildlife is "nature"

Sorry champ. No points.
>>
>>2062191
>outdoors
>sub/urban environment
Pick one.
Not to mention that cats are a very destructive invasive species, the "native habitat" of the ancestor to the domestic cat isn't your back yard.
>>
>>2062216
>what are lions, tigers, panthers, etc
>>
>>2062219
Not housecats.
>>
>>2062222
I can't even imagine how you would come to that conclusion from my statement tripfriend. Checked those quads though.
>>
>>2062220
They can be and are the exact same fucking thing shit poster
>>
>>2062232
No, house cats don't starve because they killed everything in their territory.
>>
>>2062191
>That's nature
Oooh, sorry anon the term you're looking for is "invasive species"
another option would be "killing for sport"
>>
>>2062219
>Lions and tigers
>Left to roam outside in America and kill whatever they want
sorry anon your retard is showing
>>
My grandpa has a cat that refuses to come in the house. It showed up on his deck on day. He managed to lure her into a carrier and take her to the vet for shots and a spay, but she lives outside. Her name is Mama.
>>
>>2062542
>My grandpa has a cat that refuses to come in the house

That's called a stray cat. It's not his.
>>
>>2062108
>>2062109
Ok, now these are cool. I would much rather do those than the OP pic only because the OP looks really small, and at that point you could just open a window with a screen.
>>
>>2062219
none of which are invasive species bred and maintained by humans let outside of their natural habitats to hunt and kill.
>>
>>2062180
Believing it is more fucked up.

You idiots don't know what you're talking about at all. You act like outdoor cats are waging war on the existence of every living animal when in reality they sneak into other homes to steel cat food from other cats more often than the kill animals.

Cats free to roam outside at their own will spend less than 20% of their time outside and the majority of that time is spent patrolling and remarking their territory.
>>
I like how outdoor cat owners say cats should be outside because they enjoy it, but for some magical reason that only applies to cats and isn't okay with other animals.

Outdoor catfags: Do you think it'd be cool if I let my 7 foot long water monitor roam the neighborhood too? He'd certainly enjoy it.
>>
File: 1440977797743.png (10 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
1440977797743.png
10 KB, 261x195
>>2062625
It would only be natural, anon.
>>
>>2062625
Most people who own lizards in an area where they can thrive outside have them in outside pens. If you can let your 7 foot monitor outside why are you keeping it inside in the first place?
>>
>>2062026
I have killed so many cats that come in my back garden, like fuck im letting them kill my rabbits, at times i leave cat food laced with bleach out for them to eat and get liver failure.
>>
File: ragdoll1.jpg (333 KB, 630x788) Image search: [Google]
ragdoll1.jpg
333 KB, 630x788
>>
>>2062633
Toxoplasmosis at it's finest
>>
>>2062621
And studies show on average outdoor cats have about 2.1 kills per week. That is NOT counting feral cats (which have vastly higher kill counts) and averaging in the outdoor cats that dont kill anything. Cats only bring home about 20% of their kills, and they only consume about 35% of their kills.
>>
>>2062625

They'd get mad when your lizard ate one of their shitbeasts and try to kill it. They already hate coyotes and stray dogs for doing that. Catfags are hypocritical assholes.
>>
>>2062636
>citation needed
>>
>>2062636
What about strays?
>>
>>2062640
http://www.kittycams.uga.edu/other/Loyd%20et%20al%202013.pdf
>>
>>2062109
>>2062108
>all this for a couple of shitty cats
>>
>>2062636
Literally every statistic you just stated was wrong. read your source again.
>>
You all can have this argument everyday and never agree on whether cats are indoor pets or outdoor AND indoor pets.
There are people who will kill you cat if you let it outside to roam wild. Same with dogs.
Keep it fenced in, same thing could happen BUT it's a lot less likely.
Love your pet? Of course you do. Keep it safe.
Letting it roam is dangerous.

Only conclusion
No Items
Final Destination
>>
>>2062625
>my 7 foot long water monitor
Pics?
>>
>>2062625
>Do you think it'd be cool if I let my 7 foot long water monitor roam the neighborhood too?
That's one way to monitor your neighborhood.
>>
>>2062712
>>
>>2062625
Not a cat owner but I think that's a fantastic idea. I bet good money that we'd have a lot less coyotes in my neighborhood if someone let their 7 ft lizard roam around and eat them.
>>
>>2062722
Until a toddler goes missing.
>>
>>2062733
Who the fuck lets thier toddler wander around with a giant lizard patrolling the area? That's just bad parenting.
>>
>>2062733
Keep your shit toddler inside or properly supervise it outside.
>>
>>2062722
To be honest, roaming huge water monitors would be less damaging to the environment, since they wouldn't be able to catch songbirds or the native reptiles.
>>
>>2062736
They would eat every bird egg they could find.
>>
>>2062736
That's the way I see it plus you'd have to be a retard to get attacked by one so it's not as dangerous as a stray dog.
>>
>>2062740
So do squirrels, chipmunks, cats, and annoying children.
>>
Enserio me entiendes anonimo
>>
>>2062105
I would worry about other cats getting in, and not being able to get back out to go home. I like the 'cat patio' myself.
>>2062108
looks disheveled as fuck
>>2062222
yes
>>2062734
It's only natural. Do you keep your kids sheltered all the time and never let them play outdoors? That's how they become autistic.
>>
>>2062759
>letting your toddler roam outside unsupervised is natural.

I hope to god that you're trolling and dont have any kids.
>>
>>2062637
They also hate it when pet dogs, who are contained within their yard, do that with free roaming outdoor cats.

The number of retarded cat owners on /an/ that have said they'd harm a dog indulging in its hunting instincts and/or protecting its home territory, or the owner(s) of said dogs, is pretty staggering.

But, you know, it's totally okay if THEIR pet does it because cats are special snowflake pets with special snowflake privileges.
>>
>>2062763
Anon, anon, shhhhh.

It's ok, it's natural selection.

The kid that eats marbles and dies doesn't get to grow up and have more kids.
>>
>>2062764
>They also hate it when pet dogs, who are contained within their yard,

>things that never happen.

Every neighborhood I've lived in has had a pack of roaming dogs that fuck with everything.
>>
>>2062795
>Thing that never happen

Are you implying that EVERY dog is a free roaming pest? Have you never lived in suburbia? My dog is contained in my yard as we speak, as is every other dog in my neighbourhood. You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>2062759
>become autistic
please be a troll
>>
>>2062798
Not him but i think he used the term loosely because he really means children become social disasters if they aren't let out of the house i.e. they're homeschooled, have no friends etc.

And he's not wrong.
>>
>>2062797
>Are you implying that EVERY dog is a free roaming pest?

ye, literally all of them.
>>
>>2062795
Just because you've always lived in a third world shithole means that everyone lives in a third world shit hole.

Dogs in fenced in yards is commonplace in suburban neighbourhoods in the developed world.
>>
I've lost two cats letting them outside my friend recently lost his second too. Sometimes they'd come back maimed or sick. I've had my cat now for 10 years no sickness, no injuries and no spontaneous disappearances. Keeping them indoors is better and helps protect local birds.
>>
>>2062812
so are feral dogs.
>>
How to introduce a new cat to our family dog? My dogs completely fine with other animals, submissive even, but i'm worried about how a new cat would behave.
>>
>>2062819
Feral dogs in first world countries get taken off the streets by animal control quicker than you can admit you're a dumb cunt. 3rd scumbag.
>>
>>2062821
I live in upper class America and there are 5 dogs that visit my yard every day.
>>
>>2062842
>I live in upper class America
Sure you do, buddy. Sure you do.
>>
>>2062842

I'd believe America, because I see that shit regularly, but upper class? Lol, no. The only places I see actual "feral" animals roaming around are in the literal "bars on your bedroom windows" ghettos.

You might get away with the occasional stray cat wandering around the upper class suburbs because they don't frighten the soccermoms and kids as much, but dogs, especially in large numbers or for prolonged periods of time? Never.

I know it sucks but you might want to consider that you might actually be middle class or lower. That's still REALLY good compared to the rest of the world.
>>
>tfw my cat is such an ineffective hunter local birds don't fear her at all
>tfw my cat can go outside whenever but stays indoors most of the time
>tfw when she does go outside she never leaves the garden
>>
>>2062945
I had a cat (indoor) that was such a shitty hunter, she caught no mice when we had an infestation. So what she did instead was she "killed" stuffed animals and rolled-up socks, and delivered them to my door, then yowled until I took them and praised her for her catch.
>>
Dang I'd want one of these enclosures for a savanna or Bengal cat
>>
>>2062636
Well yeah. Cats kill rodents. That's why we domesticated them.
>>
>>2063270
We domesticated dogs, cats kinda did it themselves. That's why they are such shit pets.
>>
>>2062651
actually, it would have the added benefit of keeping the neighbors out.
>>
>>2062191
>That's nature.

>domestic animal
>nature
You'll have to pick one.
>>
>>2063275
>was depressed for a long time, didn't do anything about it

>whenever I was crying my cats would come running, acting super affectionate

Regardless of the animal's real motives, cats are cute as hell and at least behave in a way that seems loving, and they'll only do it for people they trust which makes it seem even more authentic than affection from a dog.

I've found that people who hate cats are just shit to them and don't know how to treat them properly, so the cat never shows them real affection.
>>
>>2064158
>self domesticated
>Humans, not natural
>>
>>2064158
But cats domesticated themselves, retard. It's completely natural for certain species to thrive in the presence of others. Cats got food and easier breeding environments and humans got cute as duck rodent hunters, it was more of a symbiotic relationship than a domestication.

But why would anybody on a board be educated on what that board is about? I swear to god you get the biggest idiots about a certain topic the more related to the topic the board is
>>
>>2064178
>>2064181
They're still domestic, it doesn't matter if they domesticated themselves. And they are still not native species to most everywhere people live.

It's not natural for large populations of invasive predators to be let loose on the native environment in any case.
>>
>>2064201
It matters because you literally made the argument based on domestication. WHo cares anyway. For millions of years that exact same thing has happened with the rise and fall of ocean levels with millions of species going extinct because of a sudden invasion of animals that weren't evolved in that ecosystem. SHit happens. Shit will happen. And after humans are long gone the world will continue to move on. Nobody cares about your precious little ecosystem but you.
>>
>>2062651
it is my sincerest hope that you drop dead

no one cares that you know how to use a secure tripcode. Maybe you should flip burgers at McDonalds and see if you can help your mom pay rent on that basement you're living in?
>>
>>2064201
>It's not natural for large populations of invasive predators to be let loose on the native environment in any case

I mean humans make it happen way more often than it used to before we were everywhere, but that's bullshit my fren.
>>
I let my cat out, but i go with him to make sure he wont get in trouble. hes got a route he travels every time with little variation and its easy to keep up, because he stops and waits for me if im not close enough.

He has a bad habit of chasing dogs and young children.
>>
>>2062026
I prefer to declaw my outdoor cats. It keeps the birds safe.
>>
>>2064255
mmm, you ain't even gotta go that far, mate. all you have to do is say you have an outdoor cat and you'll get responses. all you've done is given away the fact you're trolling.
>>
>>2064207
I offer plenty of specialized animal knowledge in addition to witty quips and banter, hence the tripcode
>>
>>2064205
Typical selfish cat owner
>>
File: 1455316192935.jpg (92 KB, 493x537) Image search: [Google]
1455316192935.jpg
92 KB, 493x537
>>2064265
>self proclaimed wit
>>
>>2064337
Ew, what kind of third world shithole do you live in where so many animals shit on your lawn daily? I'd guess China but you wouldn't be allowed to post here with your commie bitchnet.

You better have at least eaten those cats, nigger.
>>
>>2064337
Did you hang them in a tree in /out/ fashion?
>>
>>2064343
Nigga, third worlders and Europeans are not allowed to own guns and shoot them on their own backyards. There is only one place on Earth where any psychopathic cat hater could get a .22 and you know damn well where that is.
>>
>>2064351
Shooting vermin doesn't make you a psychopath
>>
>>2064351
Burgerland isn't 1st world though.
>>
>>2064351
Are you kidding? You can't shoot guns in America in public, at least in the non-shithole parts of it.

3rd world country, shithole bible-belt America, same thing.
>>
>>2064355
It literally is according to the definition

First world countries were NATO aligned during the cold war
>>
>>2064173
If you think dogs show indiscriminate and equal affection to everybody, then you don't have much experience with dogs at all.
>>
>>2064358
>Turkey

>first world country

O I'M LAFFIN
>>
>>2064359
I had plenty of experience with my own two dogs, who pretty much showed indescriminate and equal affection to anyone who stepped foot in my house. I always hoped any burglar would turn heel and run at the sight of two pit bulls before they realized all the dogs wanted to do was jump all over him and lick his face.
>>
>>2064360
They're about to join the EU :^)
>>
>>2064366
Lithuania already has, your point?
>>
>>2064369
This guy shitposts everywhere. Don't respond, filter if you're not a clientless pleb.
>>
>>2064371
>shitposts

If you mean makes awesome and logical points and witty banter, then yeah I guess you could call it shitposting
>>
File: 1451007258069.jpg (93 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1451007258069.jpg
93 KB, 1280x720
>>2064357
>Are you kidding? You can't shoot guns in America in public, at least in the non-shithole parts of it.

I live in florida and can legally shoot in my backyard provided there is sufficient backstop.
Doesn't matter if its in city limits.
>>
>>2064386
>the non-shithole parts of it.
>florida
choose one.
>>
If you live far away from any busy roads in a woodsy area then I truly don't see a problem with letting a cat have the freedom to go outside.

It's great exercise for them, and yes it does affect their happiness.

I do think you need to be careful if the animal is male (wonderers) or is declawed. Those kinds of cats will need more supervision outside. Additionally you must consider the wildlife risks in your area. I know in my area we have bobcats and coyotes deep in the mountains. Also must be weary of certain pestky insects (mother fucking deer ticks).
>>
I've trapped 7 cats on my property this past year. They keep coming for my chickens. I found one of the owners and gave the cat back, telling her that I'll shoot it next time. Had to have the others put down.
>>
>>2064422
Oh yeah, it sure would be tragic if some bigger animal killed your cat huh? But who cares if your cat kills smaller critters, right?
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.