[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PITBULL MAULS PERSON WHO ADOPTED IT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7
File: Load-of-bull.jpg (34 KB, 534x712) Image search: [Google]
Load-of-bull.jpg
34 KB, 534x712
>Mother of two killed by her dog in Perquimans County
https://archive.is/GSRb5

[Suzanne] Story's family told 13News Now she got the Pit Bull from Virginia about a week ago after she saw an advertisement in a newspaper. The ad said the dog was good with small children.

"I think they had a problem with the dog and didn't know how to handle it, and they were just trying to get rid of it, and they did," said Story's stepfather, Randy Brown. "Found somebody that would take it, and ended up with a death."

Brown added that the people who had the dog gave the dog to Story at no charge. 13News Now has learned the former owner of the dog is Cheryl Davino of Norfolk.

"Brought the dog down here, and said that
>the dog was gentle, it was good with people, good with children, it had never attacked any person,"
Brown stated. "Why a dog would attack her, I mean, is beyond me, but it had to have been the dog, not her."

Jonathan Nash, who lives across the street from the home, caught a glimpse of Story with the Pit Bull a few days ago.

"Seen her walking the dog, and the dog was really pulling her, and she was struggling to maintain control from her driveway to her front door," recalled Nash. "Like I said, started to worry about my little one, if the dog gets out, what is he going to do?"

Story leaves behind 15-year-old and 17-year-old daughters.

"She's just a great person, and it shouldn't have happened," said Brown, who planned to find the previous owners with the help of an attorney. "I just think that the people that pawned the dog off on these people need to be held responsible."

Tilley said animal control officers took the dog into custody and that she would be put down Thursday.
>>
>woman takes dog from stranger
>clearly trying to just get rid of dog ASAP
>just takes her word for it on the dog's behavior???
>no details of the attack
>calling that thing a pitbull

oh lord
>>
>>2061405

Never trust a dog

Hear stories all the time about beloved family dogs attacking and killing a toddler
>>
>>2061451
I read somewhere that close to 70% attacks are on children, which makes sense. the vast majority of children don't know how to respectfully play with dogs, and the parents don't watch them. hell, even a lot of parents don't know
>>
>>2061506
are there any stats on attacks by breeds? I feel like some breeds would be incredibly low risk like the typical labs and goldens
>>
>>2061508
nothing that isn't essentially based on news headlines, which ore notoriously inaccurate or skewed. perfect example of the reporters calling that bulldog mix a "pitbull"

there's no official government stats or anything, they're considered useless
>>
>>2061508
Problem with sorting by breeds is that people assign breeds to dogs when they have no idea what they are talking about.

For one, that is NOT a pit bull terrier.
It's something closer to a bulldog but as you can see no one cares and they still call it a pit bull.
>>
>>2061508
Labs and goldens are very high risk. They have a short temper.
>>
>>2061529
So are Dalmatians.
>>
>>2061544
Pretty much most dogs are a risk
>>
>>2061506
My Akita has only ever bitten 1 person.
It was an 7~ year old girl who jumped on her back and tried to ride her like a horse. The mom was atleast reasonable and realized it was her kids fault.
She tried to bite some nigger who kept throwing rocks at her while I was at work when he got to close to the fence once though.
>>
>>2061582
Was that a hard bite? You got lucky. The mom could've forced you to put down your dog. Even without that though, I would be much more cautious with your dog...
>>
>>2061508
Labs and goldens are among the dogs that bite the most.
"Gee, it's a nice dog from a nice breed, surely it won't mind having its ears and tail pulled by turboADHD little shits."
>>
>>2061589
unless it was an extreme bite on the face or something, not likely. most likely would have had to classify his dog as a known Dangerous Dog and follow certain regulations to keep her. it's pretty rare for a dog to be put down for a single offense if it wasn't fatal or very extreme, assuming he doesn't live somewhere with BSL

>>2061508
>>2061546
people don't seem to realize that all breeds do bite, just not all of them end up on the news. the shelter I work at houses PDDs while awaiting the decision to PTS or not, and just by looking at the dog the officer brings in, we can tell if it's going to be plastered all over the news later that night or they'll completely ignore it, regardless of what the dog did
>>
>>2061434
Pitbull owners confirmed mentally deficient?
>>
>>2061405
>that dog
>pit bull
>not american bulldog
Oh lawrd

>>2061508
labs and goldens are actually very high on the attack/bite list. However, bite reports are only done via news headlines. The dog in OP's picture, for instance, will forever go down as a pit bull in bite statistics, even though an american pit bull terrier (what 'pit bull' originally referred to) doesn't closely resemble that dog as much as bulldogs do.

This is a good reason to never adopt on craigslist. There is no guarantee, the people aren't required to take the dog back, and you have no idea what the dog is actually going to be like.
>>
>>2061601
more like anyone who takes dogs from Craigslist/private ads and not through a licensed shelter/rescue or reputable breeder
>>
>>2061601
and that's not even a pitbull
>>
I don't know man. Pitbulls seem to get a bad rep but they just seem overall aggressive. My cousins own some and even with proper socialization they can still be unpredictable at times.

Meanwhile my mastiffs are quite relaxed and very gentle even when you hand feed them. They're quick to learn and never show signs of regression towards the family.

If I had to adopt I'd probably pick a dog from the mastiff line.
>>
>>2061602
>labs and goldens are actually very high on the attack/bite list
But how much of that is due to the fact those dogs are the most popular in the US?

Not discounting it, but it would be more meaningful to compare % of breed that bites against the popularity of the breed.
>>
File: Teletubbies.jpg (55 KB, 1400x704) Image search: [Google]
Teletubbies.jpg
55 KB, 1400x704
>not knowing the difference between terriers and molossers
>>
>>2063909
but that's pretty anecdotal. I have had two pits growing up, both gentle the way you described mastiffs being. worked in shelters a few years and have yet to be bitten by one. but my neighbors have German shepherds that got seized and euthanized because they got out and killed another neighbor's sheep, and the year before that one of them bit a child. and GSDs are usually the ones that have to go to the vets with basket muzzles or are insufferable at the dog park

I'd honestly say that "oh X breed seems more aggressive" stories could easily have far more to do with location and culture around dog ownership than the breed itself

>>2063911
same applies to pits, they're consistently in the top three most common breeds in the US, pretty sure they're pretty high up in world dog population as well

more reason why trying to organize number of bites based on breed is a bit silly. of course common breeds are going to be responsible for more bites
>>
>>2063953
Anecdotal time:
GSDs I know don't need muzzles at the vet, on the other hand, two golden retrievers do. One gets absolutely fucking mental when near the vet, snarls and growls, tries to bite if there's no muzzle. The other just kind of bit the vet silently once without snarling or growling first, just suddenly turned around on the big table and bit the vet when he was looking at her hips...
>>
>>2061508
Dauchunds and Labs bite more people, but have far, far less deaths than some breeds.

Also, they can construe stats to make it look like pit bulls, when really they have no idea what they are talking about. Like how some cities classify Boxers, American Bulldogs, and Bull Terriers [I'm talking the Target mascot breed] as "pit bull type" breeds when they're most definitely not pits. Therefore that skews stats even more.
>>
>>2061405
All pitbulls should be euthanized.

>m-muh pitbulls are so sweet

They're violent dogs which are mostly owned by hoodrats, rednecks, and cholos who encourage their violence.

Literally the second worst and most destructive common pet that there is. The most common and destructive being a cat of course.
>>
>>2063987
>Dauchunds and Labs bite more people, but have far, far less deaths than some breeds.
So what, daschunds and labs with poor bite inhibition bite, hard, but then realise they maybe shouldn't and stop, while other breeds equally poorly trained just continue until the thing they're biting stops moving?
>>
File: trash dogs for trash people.jpg (53 KB, 636x332) Image search: [Google]
trash dogs for trash people.jpg
53 KB, 636x332
>>2063987
>DUDE ITS ONLY BECAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY

No, it's because it's a violent creature by nature genetically engineered for agression
>>
>>2063998
>total attacks reported

you understand why that's significant, right? people are way more likely to report a nip from a pit than they are a bite from a lil weenie dog.
>>
>>2063992
Unless you just roll on the ground and lay there, a Dachshund would kill you? Is its jaw even strong enough to do that?

I think it is more a matter of strength. I know the jaws locking is utter shit, but some breeds do have a greater pounds per square cm/in bite strength than others.
>>
>>2064032
Man, labs have strong jaws. Mine used to turn bones into fine dust.
>>
>>2064037
I've seen rat terriers do the same, even to furniture. Doesn't change the fact a staffie's bite is stronger.
>>
>>2064037
http://www.rottweilerlife.com/2014/02/top-10-dogs-mess-strongest-dog-bites/
Ignore the descriptions of the breed behavior and the images, because some are outright wrong. This does comprehensively list the strength per sq in of dog bites. So there is a difference. And it is also why incidents might cause more pain and injury and be reported more than other dog breeds, despite less strong breeds biting more frequently.
>>
File: o rly?.jpg (45 KB, 531x612) Image search: [Google]
o rly?.jpg
45 KB, 531x612
>>2064019
All bull breeds are untermensch

>>2064011
O rly?
>>
>all dogs bite, x breed bite so much, omg why is it allways pitbulls in the news
This probably have to do with the fact that most breeds take social clues, communicate and will let go, calm down, etc.

This was bred out of certain dogs and they will shake, tear, rip until they collapse of exhaustion.
>>
>>2064082
Just as you can train a Jack Russel not to completely dig up your yard, or a beagle not to constantly bray, or a sighthound not to take off after your cat, you can train a "bully" breed to not be overly aggressive.
>>
>>2064109
I'll add by saying that the same kinds of people who own a bully that is aggressive and bites people and other dogs would probably have a jack russel that digs up the yard, or a husky that rips apart the house, or a beagle that wanders. No dog they owned would behave.
>>
Lets get away from the Internet Pitbull Defense Force dey gud dog, dey dindu nuffin discussion. We all know pits aren't good or else they wouldn't need a group of people dedicated to defending their reputation.

What is the solution? I propose that the owners of a dog should be held liable for all actions of said dog and charged accordingly. Your dog mauls a child? You are charged with assaulting a child. Your dog kills someone? Murder charges. Dog is out in someones yard? Trespassing. Your dog is an extension of you.

Your dog mauls an intruder, that would fall under self defense.

Then we see how fashionable these faggots think a "big mean tough dog" is.
>>
>>2063909
Your mastiffs are considered pit bulls though
>>
>>2064068
I bet you use dogsbite as a source, don't you?

honestly the last thing this board needed was a cancerous tripfag
>>
>>2064082
Actually pit bulls became popular in the news sometime during the 80's when police were reporting a lot of drug trafficking going on in dog fights. Because of the huge drug problems in that time, the news latched onto the dog fighting aspect and clung to pit bulls. Pit bulls were fear mongered as dangerous animals and drugs are bad kids. You can see a steady shift from news reporting doberman and rotti attacks (their last fear mongered breeds because they were common for protection) in the 60's to pit attacks in the 80s. People feared pits because they were associated with dog fighting and therefore criminal activity. However, because the breed specifically got a lot more attention, and since only viewers and readers matter, it began to turn into only pit bull attacks that matter.

The news media is seriously fucked up and you'd have a better idea seeing what's happening by paying attention to the ads instead
>>
>>2064172
http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/uploaded_files/tinymce/2007%20Media%20Bias.pdf

this is why using news reports or statistics based on news articles is utter horseshit

plus the fact that they called that obvious bulldog mix a pit shows you really cannot trust those numbers to reflect the actual number of attacks by breeds. a lot of the reason is that an attack by a supposed pitbull gets talked about way fucking more than an attack by any other breed, even if fatal. you get retards like the latest tripfag on here or OP who will spread the story just because it says the dog is a pitbull. hell, there was a study done that shows that if the dog involved was allegedly a pit, it will be said somewhere in the news headline. if it's any other breed or a mutt, it typically will NOT be mentioned in the headline. it's because the media makes more buzz, more comments, more revenue, by reporting what people want to hear, not in a truly objective fashion
>>
>>2063990
>>2063998
>just keeps shitposting till he gets responses

wasn't doing this for six months on >>>/tv/ enough?
>>
The media understands how to identify dog breeds about as well as it knows different types of firearm.

Every short-haired dog with a squarish head is a pit bull. Every handgun is a glock. Every rifle is an AK-47.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 165x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 165x300
>>2064224
Currently banned from /tv/ m8

I pestered the mods too much
>>
Someone who actually worked at a semi-famous Pitbull Rescue, my sister ran it.

We had some colossal failures trying to rehabilitate at risk dogs from high kill shelters, I myself have many visible scars and have been hospitalized because of it.

We tried everything from world renown dog trainers to medication, ultimately there are some lives we could not save.

Since then, we only take in mother dogs with young litters so they could be trained and given a real chance, rather than put in hundreds of hours and $1000's for a failure that ends up with people in the hospital because of our irresponsible feelings of wanting to save every life.

Learn from me. Get a young pitbull and raise him right, ones that have gone through too much stress will cause irreparable damage to your families body and mind.
>>
>>2064109
You cant just train a jack russel to not dig up the yard. You have to excersize it well and give it other things to do. If you train a jack russel to not dig up your yard but leave it in your yard with no toys and you never walk it, it will still dig up your yard.
>>
>>2061508

There are. Based on violent attacks per capita, Chows are actually the worst of all breeds, with 5x the attacks of pit bulls.

Also, using "Pit bull" in any comparison to other breeds will immediately destroy the statistic accuracy because that's 5 breeds. "Pit bull" is not a breed, it's a cluster of breeds. You can't compare a "pit bull" to a "german shepherd" ... that's 5v1.

English Staffordshire Bull Terriers (Staffies) are some of the damned sweetest dogs around. They're coined as being "Nanny dogs" overseas because they're so good with children. They have no dog fighting in their blood. But, they fall under the "pit bull" label. The reality is Staffies have less violent attacks to their name than labradors. Fucking labradors.

Point being, you can't trust stats. Or anyone that thinks 'pit bull' is a breed.
>>
>>2064067
>http://www.rottweilerlife.com/2014/02/top-10-dogs-mess-strongest-dog-bites/

>This does comprehensively list the strength per sq in of dog bites.

It's missing Great Pyrenees. They will ruin your day with a 900psi jaw strength. They should be in that #1 spot, but they're not even on the list. Maybe because they're truly gentle giants and no one cares about them since they're not on the nightly news. It brings into question everything else on the list. For example, having "pit bull" listed as a breed is just sloppy. That's not a breed, it's a cluster of 5 breeds.

(thanks for breaking that list into 3 pages, by the way. god forbid you put them all on the same page, assholes)
>>
>>2064278
>Get a young pitbull and raise him right, ones that have gone through too much stress will cause irreparable damage to your families body and mind.

I apply this logic to every dog I have had, and it's why I won't adopt. You never know what kind of trauma is lurking deep down. At least with a dog I've had since 8 weeks from a known blood line, I limit the chances of there being something seriously wrong I can't see.
>>
>>2064398

I dont disagree, but there are tons of perfectly fine adobtable dogs out there. Not all of them are agression/abuse cases. Especially the non staffie/pitbull breeds.

My dog came fully house trained and knew how to do every trick I wanted. Not bad for 50$.
>>
>>2064274
So you shit up the environment here. Good idea.
>>
>>2064398
that's.. not a very good reason. not every dog up for adoption is from the streets with an unknown history. the top two reasons dogs are surrendered is moving and/or landlord conflict. and most shelters who take owner surrenders will ask for vet records, detailed history of their behavior, etc

plus puppies are up for adoption all the time
>>
>>2063990
nobody cares about your opinion
>>
>>2064467
>the top two reasons dogs are surrendered is moving and/or landlord conflict.

This is very regional. In the last 3 cities I've lived, shelters will not accept animals unless they are injured. You can't drop off unwanted pets because life got tough. Can't drop off strays. These places are/were underfunded and understaffed and can't take every post-purchase regret people have.

Basically, they prohibit intake from the public and only get fed by animal control.
>>
>>2064590
Of course policies are going to be different from shelter to shelter. That's why shelters are not all government funded or a branch off of the ASPCA. Just because some shelters only take in owner surrenders doesn't mean that area has no strays. There are also shelters that only accept stray animals, called pounds, but that doesn't mean people don't have issues with keeping their pet animals. This doesn't take away from the fact that the #1 and #2 reason for surrender around the US is housing related.
>>
>>2061405
My dog even raises and protects other small animals, she was basically our parrots foster mother and never attacks an animal if she sees me petting them or something of the sort, dogs end up being the way you raise them to be, my parents used to have a German Shepard who ran to check on me whenever I cried as a baby. If you're a shitty dog owner, you're gonna raise a shitty dog.
>>
>>2065819
Pretty much this, at the dog park once some pit kept nipping at my beagle and getting really protective over the balls there. He got my beagle pretty good and went after her, my best friends pointer/Australian shepherd mix went at it with such ferocity to protect my beagle. The owner of the dog that attacked pretended like it was my fault for letting my dog play with the community toys, and did not even reprimand his dog at all or leave, he just walked away. While my friends dog was scared shitless afterward and went in the corner to sit with my beagle. We both give our dogs a lot of attention and at that moment I realized the difference between being a good and bad owner
>>
>>2061589
It's not his fault that the shitty parent raised a kid that didn't know to not ride a dog like a horse. 7 is way too old for that shit.
>>
>>2064224
I thought this asshat was exclusive to /tv/, but I guess he's spread to other boards.
It's actually a meme there to use his name and post retarded shit.
>>
>>2064130
Exactly this.
>>
>>2061595
Might that be because pitbull bites are a lot fucking worse than bites from most other dogs?
>>
>>2066114
He shits up /g/ too. I highly recommend filtering him.
>>
File: image.jpg (423 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
423 KB, 2048x1536
If you give dog love, dog will give love back, no matter what it's past or what it's breed. Just love, they detect good people. Obviously anyone who gets killed or bitter are bad people. Don't blame dog, only humans can be evil.
>>
>>2064011
Well yeah, tiny dogs can't kill people. Big dogs can, you fucking idiot. Why should anyone give a shit if their little teacup terrier bites someone when there are big powerful dogs mauling people fatally.
>>
Pit bull and other 'manly' dog apologists are cancer. They create more problems for the dogs than they think by teaching people that all dogs are nanny dogs if you don't abuse them.
>>
>>2064130
When Internet heroes think they understand and apply legislation.
>>
>>2064391
Anecdotal, but here in Australia a staffy is basically the 'pit bull'. Owned by degenerate 20 year old single mum's or Bogan cunts. And they are fucking aggressive and have a bad rep.

Which goes to show that it's not the breed I guess, it's the shit cunt owners.

That's not too say their build doesn't lead to a higher propensity of injury or fatal attack.
>>
>>2067020
Are you really being serious? You gotta be shitting me with this liberal shit, man.
>>
THE CANINE OF PEACE STRIKES AGAIN!
>>
>>2067024
Honestly, its dogs. They have sharp teeth. They bite in attacks and defense. They are carnivores with a prey drive. And they are domesticated WOLVES at that and even coyotes have been known to kill people despite their size. No one gets killed by domestic cats because of their size but amp them up to a medium sized breed and they could kill you. A larger pug could fucking maul someone to death. Even retrievers have mauled people to death.

My point is that people seem to forget what dogs are. The perfect 'Man's best friend' is so engraved into our heads that everyone ignores or just can't imagine them being anything but that so they let shitty behaviors get out of control. That and they think every dog is 'just a dog' so yeah totally a border collie would be great for their family living in a one bed room apartment or with having zero experience in rehabilitating dogs or a certain breed of dog they will scoop up whatever one they like or feel bad for.
>>
>>2063990
I couldn't agree more.

My Mother owns a Pitbull.. In the time we have had him, he has attacked 2 people, bit and punctured countless tires and attacked someone's pet.. Thankfully they didn't kill the animal but I digress. I hate the fucking dog and I think he's finally understanding it.. The asshole's a runner to boot and when he gets out I wish he'll get hit and can't come home, or just runs off.

Then again, I just fucking hate dogs.
>>
>Calling that thing a pibble
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 244x244) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 244x244
>be a pitbull owner
>get mauled
>>
I know someone with a dog that looks almost exactly like that. Her dog is an American bulldog crossed with a staffordshire bull terrier, and it's vicious as fuck with other dogs.

She should have it put down as it has attacked 3 other dogs to date, is extremely powerful, and she is a 5'3'' woman in her 50s who can't control it for shit. But her idiot thug son thinks this dog is prime breeding material so they keep it.

I'm just waiting to catch it roaming or something.
>>
>>2067419
They are mans best friend

Anything else is a statistical outlier
>>
>>2064109
>You can train a bully not to be overly aggressive
So when I see a stranger coming down the street with a pit bull I should assume that he has trained his dog not to kill me?
>>
>>2067486
also, I forgot to mention these dubs
>>
>>2067486
>being scared of a dog without them even showing aggressive behavior
wow, you really are a pussy
>>
>>2067704
>aggressive name calling and online bullying
Typical pit bull owner. I hope your dog doesn't take after you.
>>
>>2068061
>calls you out on your bullshit
>getting your feefees triggered

try learning about dog behavior instead of being a pussy then
>>
>>2061529
Speaking only from personal experience:
>Golden Retriever (family pet growing up)
Dog aggression from poor socialization when young. Would charge at human strangers in excitement to meet and greet, could be scary looking. Never once bit anybody, treated children, toddlers and the family cat like porcelain dolls. Tolerated extreme levels of fur and tail pulling, and asshole cat behavior like random swats on the nose while sleeping. Liked to play very rough with adults and known dogs.
>australian shepherd /golden retriever mix(neighbor)
You could not get this dog to give a fuck about anything. Tormented endlessly by a toddler, would not bark at strangers, didn't care that other dogs or cats existed, would stop eating and wait patiently while a sparrow took food from under its nose.
>yellow lab(neighbor)
>extremely high strung, dog and stranger aggressive, would snap at neighbor kids but never made contact, killed a stray cat
>chow mutt (neighbor)
Afraid of children and other dogs, would hide and whine. Friendly to adults. Would catch and eat birds in its backyard.
>husky/golden/something else mutt(same as chow owner)
Loved children and other dogs, very relaxed.
>dalmation(cousin)
Absolutely psychotic. Would spend hours jumping straight up in the air barking nonstop. Broke through fence, attacked and killed neighbor's husky(not the one listed). Not human aggressive exactly, but so hyperactive you could not interact with this dog without ending up bleeding. Favorite game was "run at mach speed with as much lead up as possible, then leap and plant all four paws on your chest and kick off." Repeatedly.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.