[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The general public is full of idiots
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 15
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Pic related is from a local Chinese restaurant in my town. It's filled with coins, and I do not understand why people think that it's okay to throw metal (especially containing any amount of copper) is okay to throw in ponds and tanks. There's even a sign that says to not throw coins.

What other things do humans do that annoy the hell out of you?
>>
Zoos have huge problems with this too. I remember somewhere a while back had a sea lion die because they found out it's stomach was entirely full of coins.
>>
Lolol make a wish! Goldfish-sama will grant it for u!
>>
Hm. I remember as a kid this fish store had a pond inside with sting rays and catfish and a bunch of coins. They were really experienced guys too so if this it bad I wonder why they let it happen
>>
>>2060466
copper has no effect on most fish.
also metallic copper isn't very soluble, especially in freshwater.

Tossing pennies in a reef tank will probably wipe out half of the animals in the thing, but the fish won't care.
>>
>>2060466
>my friend kisses her dwarf hamster on the head
>lets it crawl around on her bed
>once even ate a carrot it had been chewing on
>then refuses to even touch my rats even when I offer her the hand sanitizer I use before and after handling them
>they're so dirty, anon! They'll give me germs!
>>
I have a Chinese restaurant near me that has a pool exactly like this.
>>
>>2060478
Because they can't control it.
>>
good thing modern pennies are basically zinc. they haven't been copper for awhile bro.
>>
>>2060466
>What other things do humans do that annoy the hell out of you?
Apply human emotion to animals.
Ask for advice from someone experienced at taking care of animals then immediately disregard it.
>>
File: gba.jpg (99 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
gba.jpg
99 KB, 600x399
>>2060466
because idiots think that rules don't apply to them

use phone to video at concerts
in a hurry driving
shopping for lowest price like a miser instead of supporting best service
etc

>I'd kill people like this, except it's against the rules
>>
>>2060466
What do humans do to animals that annoys me?

>coddling small dogs and basically allowing them to be aggressive little shits
>"trading in" pets for better pets like they are fucking cars (basically getting rid of a mutt when they find a purebred of its breed mix)
>wanting animals that they can't take care of or house properly (owls, foxes, lynxs, basically any animal you need to specialize your home for)
>people who let their dogs jump on you and do nothing when they do
>keeping dogs on a chain and treating them like plants (they're just there as in like a plant to be watered, they feed and water it then leave it alone)
>people who actually think we aren't animals and we are above them (Christianfags)
>oh and people who think their dog can beat your dog in a fight because your dog doesn't fight back when a dog is aggressive toward them, like stealing their food and growling at them and they back off. Apparently this isn't OK and my dog is a pussy
>>
>>2060466
Why do Chinese people get so much hate on /an/? Is it because the whole world thinks we eat dogs?
>>
File: occupy central.jpg (112 KB, 482x298) Image search: [Google]
occupy central.jpg
112 KB, 482x298
>>2062125
Fuck you. We don't want to be under mainland Chinese control as well. It's not my fault that the government is so shit.
>>
Some people genuinely don't know any better. They might not notice the sign, and they have no idea that a coin could hurt the fish.

That aside,
>designer dogs
>dogs being chained up 24/7
>"my shelter cat is a Russian blue, the vet said it looked like one"
>>
>>2062127

>it's not the entire nations fault we're so shit
>>
>>2062133

Brah, I can't see you through all the smog.
>>
>>2062136
You'll have to explain the joke to me. Sorry.
>>
File: 131025-nasa-space-china-smog.jpg (36 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
131025-nasa-space-china-smog.jpg
36 KB, 600x338
>>2062142

I'm guessing he's referring to this shit.
>>
I doubt the copper from pennies does anything in the way of harming fish, hell most shit people put in their tank is worse for fish than pennies.

On the other hand if they ate the penny them fish would prolly die from a blockage and show up on the buffet.

I'd be more interested in finding out if a few pennies would be able to wipe out a shrimp/coral tank though. Can the copper from coins even do that?
>>
>>2062142

I tagged the wrong post, my bad.
>>
where I live it seems the shelters don't know about "mutt" cats. every shorthaired cat is a european shorthair, if it's got long hair and a flat face it's a persian and so on.
>>
>>2060466
I have neighbors who let their cats run free and I've seen them kill birds in my yard.

I'm getting ready to catch their fucking cats and drop them off at the pound.
>>
>>2062127
>occupy wallstreet

I unironcially hope you die
>>
>>2061989
Too fucking kek. Have all my keks anon. You're implying we aren't animals.
>>
>>2060466
Those coins wont do shit to the fish.
>>
>>2062423
Humans are animals. Check and mate.
>>
>>2062423
>looking for a fight this hard
>>
>>2062429
Humans are animals. Ducks are animals. Fish are animal. Your brain is set to shitpost. Turn it on to logic mode.
>>
>>2062437
Humans are animals. I've been playing chess while you've been playing checkers. I'll let you know I haven't been banned in over a month.
>>
>Buying puppies from a pet store
>Giving scraps to their pets
>Taking animals from the wild and think they can properly take care of it
>furries
>killing snakes out of their own fear
>>
>>2062455
Humans are literally animals. Maybe if you'd stop having autistic rages you could win a argument. That's another check mate.
>>
>>2062473
I'll say it again maybe you'll get it. HUMANS ARE ANIMALS we are mammals
>>
>>2062473
http://io9.gizmodo.com/yes-humans-are-animals-so-just-get-over-yourselves-1588990060

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150706-humans-are-not-unique-or-special

Another fucking checkmate
>>
>>2062494
Don't be mad because you can't win a internet argument.
>>
>>2062473
Humans are animals. Human concepts are animal concepts.
>>
>>2062509
he didn't say humans aren't animals.
he said animals aren't humans.

/an/ has a collective IQ that's dismal.
>>
>>2062515
>Apply human emotion to animals
>humans are animals
>human emotion is animal emotion
What's so hard to understand here?
>>
>>2062522
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwr6_015ROo
This is you right now.
>>
>>2062421

>you're implying we aren't animals

Lol that's not even what he's saying you fucking halfwit.
>>
>>2062125
>hates the dalai lama
Not a bad thing. These religious rulers of Tibet are pretty dictatorial.
>>
>>2062122
>thinks
>>
>>2062521
>What's so hard to understand here?
nothing.
your fallacy is hasty generalization.

human emotion is animal emotion but that doesn't imply that all animal emotion is human emotion.

your inability to differentiate does imply mental retardation however.

assuming you're over the age of 18 as you must be to post here, you should easily grasp this concept without several anons having to explain it to you.

or maybe you're just drunk.
>>
>>2062556
In my experience that's surprisingly accurate.

Though /sci/ is a bit overrated unless you want your homework done, too many people who confuse "idea" with "theory".

In fact I avoid /lit/ because it would make me waste too much time, the folks there are simply too interesting.
>>
>>2062122
I was actually just giving context to location. The restaurant owners keep their place very nicely cleaned. I'm sure they have to clean out the fish pond every day.
>>
>>2062556
sure, but the inability to understand:
>all X's are Y
>not all Y's are X's
indicates probable retardation.
children are expected to grasp this concept before age 10.

anon's IQ is so low it/s not even on your chart.
hopefully he's drunk, but I doubt it. This cognitive error is extremely common here.

usually it's bugguy making the error, ironically enough.
>>
>>2062563
Its painfully inaccurate. Just the fact that the average is well above 100 is ridiculous. And /tv/tards and /fit/izens are NOT above average even for 4chan. If you want a better idea of which boards are better and which are worse, the easiest is to look at the traffic of each board. The higher the traffic, the worse the board is. Almost without exception. /b/, /tv/, /an/ are all super high traffic, and FILLED with shitposting retards.

/diy/, /out/ and /lit/ are all very low traffic boards and usually quite good.
>>
File: syrian-hamster-4.jpg (721 KB, 1400x1200) Image search: [Google]
syrian-hamster-4.jpg
721 KB, 1400x1200
>>2062581
>/an/
>super high traffic
>>
>>2062586
that was a typo. i mean /a/, not /an/
>>
>>2062553
This, stop anthropomorphisizing animals, its not scientific.
Humans are unique and special creations of the lord jesus christ and we have to believe the things we experience only apply to us as a species, that's true science. To imply otherwise would make us feel not special anymore and make us feel bad for constantly murdering everything.
>>
>>2062613
> Trinitarian pls leave
>>
>>2062613
Humans aren't different from other animals because religion says so.

Humans are different from other animals because humans are different from other animals.

You may also be saddened to learn that earthworms aren't kittens.
>>
>>2062620
lol humans are special cause god made us this way, otherwise we wouldn't be special. do you see anything else like us around? No?
how bout that.
>>
>>2062627
different=/=special

sorry.

humans are different, that's a fact.
if you think they're special that's an opinion.
>>
>>2062631
>dominate whole planet
>no natural predators
>only species to feel emotions
>influence the development of other species for our own benifit
>completely alter the environment to suit our needs
>not special
lol k
>>
>>2062638
3 of your 5 criteria are false.
>>
>>2062638
Beavers
>>
>>2062638

>dominate whole planet

Not true (Antarctica, ocean floor)

>no natural predators

Crocodiles.

>only species to feel emotions

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/rats-regret-making-the-wrong-decision/

>influence the development of other species for our own benifit

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/photos/7-animals-that-know-how-to-farm/farmer-ants

Beavers also do this. But they manage to do it without poisoning themselves with toxic waste.
>>
>>2062437
>humans are animals
That's what he was fucking saying dipshit, are you drunk or something?
>>
>>2062638
>>dominate whole planet
Except for the water, the too cold, the too hot, the too densely forested and jungle-laden, the too dangerous, and the too barren, yeah we got it all.
>>no natural predators
Except for microbes, large carnivores, and each other, though that last one doesn't count, I know.
>>only species to feel emotions
Still being debated. Acting like either side is 100% accepted proven fact is disgustingly disingenuous. I lean to a handful of emotion-having creatures being on the planet but until the ones doing the research reach a genuine consensus, it's no more than an opinion.
We're not alone in the universe, my man, it's only a matter of time until we conclusively find life elsewhere, then we aren't the oh so unique living things in the universe.
The ripping off of that proverbial bandaid will do nothing but good for mankind.
God I hate arrogant people.
>hurr humans are unbeatable, 1v1 me nature
>"man found mauled by post-hibernation bear in local forest cave"
>>
>>2062437

>animals aren't humans

Some of them are.
>>
>>2062665
in American English the statement, "animals are humans" implies that all animals are humans.
>>
>>2062556
>average IQ over 140

Lel, ok more than half of the people on those boards are in the top .1% of human intelligence as determined by an internet IQ test?
>>
>>2062537
Your bait is bad
>>
>>2062677
the IQ test being improperly calibrated doesn't render it useless.

the average IQ is 100. If the test average is 140 then it needs to be adjusted until it's closer to 100.

People with below average IQ's have trouble getting that.
>>
>when people ask to spay/neuter their pet but want us to keep the testicles/uterus intact
>when people give us a pregnant cat/dog they want spayed today but want the babies alive too
>people give us a cat/dog they know is pregnant to be spayed, they don't tell us it's pregnant, we go in and accidentally find out its preggo and customer gets mad at us for doing what the customer told us to do
>people want the testicles or uterus/womb (of their not pregnant animal) to feed to their animal after
>when people don't think we de-sexed their animal because it still has behavior issues
>when people want a refund because they changed their mind on getting their animal fixed
>when people who ride up in brand new Lamborghinis and Mercedes, brag about their expensive teacup dog and designer dog clothes, and try to beg us for free spay/neuter because they are entitled to it

All of this happened several times a week if not several times a day
>>
>>2062134
Fuck off bugfag, nobody is as much of a shit stain on humanity as you are.
>>
>>2062144
I never once believed that humanity has contributed in the slightest towards global warming. I thought it was all a scam made up by eco terrorists and politicians to get votes from the gullible.

And then I saw this photo.

What the fuck China. What the fuck.
>>
>>2062785
Don't blame China too much, we did the same thing when we industrialized though had the blessing of being a smaller population.
>>
>>2060467
everytime a babby whale dies at the vancouver aquarium they find its guts full of garbage and coins
>>
>>2062785
>Washington, Oregon and California have some of the strictest air pollution standards in the U.S.
>Also have some of the worst air pollution in the U.S.
>Keep making regulations more and more strict
>turns out much of their air pollution is coming all the way from China.
>>
>>2062074
Dude your totally right but wtf I'm Christian and i in no way believe i am above animals? I treat them with love and compassion. Kek not all Christians are asshats.
>>
>>2062134
Seconding. Chinese people are cancer.
>>
>>2062659
mods finally banned bug fag? How wonderful.
>>
>>2062074
>Little brother is a raging Catholic
>Tells me all the time how animals don't and cannot have souls
>>
>>2062437
As a philosophical concept, you are pondering what makes Man greater than the Beast that he lay dominion o'er. In such, that is a good question. Is it in Reflection that we see ourselves as greater? Is it in our linens that cover our nudity? Or is it in the books that we so love to preach from?

As per a logical arguement, it's pretty terrible, because of this piece of evidence

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Subphylum: Vertebrata
Class: Mammalia
Subclass: Theria
Infraclass: Eutheria
Order: Primates
Suborder: Anthropoidea
Superfamily: Hominoidea
Family: Hominidae
Genus: Homo
Species: Sapiens

So please, if you could stop fighting about this, that would be fantastic.
>>
>>2062069
>shopping for lowest price like a miser instead of supporting best service
Brah, I'm poor as fuck. I'm clipping coupons and shit so I don't have the money to support best service when I'm starvinh
>>
File: gecko-closed-eye-200.jpg (62 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
gecko-closed-eye-200.jpg
62 KB, 425x282
>>2062437
>>2062473
>>2062515
My sides
>>
>>2062437
>>2062423
>>2062134
>>2062455
>>2062473
>>2062494

Fuck off bugguy.
>>
>>2062437
Why the fuck doesn't somebody just ban bugguy already? Literally nobody likes the asshole. The board would improve so much without him.
>>
>>2062515
stop samefagging.
>>2062521
He's just desperately fishing for an argument because he can't accept any statements.
>>
>>2062620
>>2062631
>what is satire
>>
>>2063822
>>2063824
He was fucking with you guys and you fell for it.
I didn't like him at first but he's honestly not as big of an asshole as /an/ paints him.
>>
File: 1451008174901.jpg (36 KB, 426x480) Image search: [Google]
1451008174901.jpg
36 KB, 426x480
>>2063836
Ya ok
>>
>>2063822
He's the reason I keep coming back to /an/. It's wonderful watching you guys shit yourself over his posts.
>>
>>2063851
It's pretty pathetic. Never change, bugguy.
>>
>>2063851
>it's one or two neets samefagging
>says the tripfag NEET that spends his whole day arguing on 4chan
>>
>>2060466
People who act as if animals and humans are the same, thereby making people who support animal rights look like insane extremists akin to creationists, which in turn ends up indirectly harming animals.
>>
>>2063851
You're fucking retarded based on 100 something post and 50 something post that equals out to two post per person.

Kill your self you fat neet faggot.
>>
>>2063875
If you don't like him, just filter him. Yeah you'd have to deal with the replies that you'd still see, but if you stopped shitting up the threads then it wouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>2062125

>GROWING PAINS

Yeah because Yurop (still a shit hole) and Murica never had those problems as well.
>>
>>2063898
China is full of the most self-obsessed, ethnocentric arrogant fuckwads I've ever had the displeasure to meet.
>>
>>2063900

and they're not?

China's learning and they're starting to enforce these things but it will take time.

You're speaking as if Western countries never had to go through the corruption and learning process.

>>2063908

Cool. Whites rule. Everyone else is subhuman. Whatever man.

I doubt you ever made it past your local Chinese takeout and ventured out.
>>
>>2063900
China gives zero fucks about the rest of the world and their effect on it.
>>
>>2063915
I've been there. And I live close to China. Have to say Taiwanese people are pretty bro-tier.
>>
>>2060466
>OP mentions location was a chinese restaurant
>thread derails into racism
>>
>>2063896
>victim blaming
>>
>>2063960
Aw, poor bugguy victim. Tumblr's free too you know.
>>
>>2063822
Fucking amen, maybe we could actually have some decent conversation around here for once.

>>2063826
/an/ dosen't help itself by continuing to respond, it's the easiest board to pick on by far. That said it would be nice not to have to have to deal the same tired bullshit on a regular basis, or have threads constantly get sunk.
>>
>>2061989
This.
>>
>>2062492
>humans-are-not-unique-or-special
But that's objectively false.
>>
>>2062790
The U.S. is cutting down though, China straight up doesn't give a shit how much they poison the atmosphere
>>
>>2064897
It's a matter of wealth.
Pollution actually kills people, so when those people get wealthy enough to demand control it's going to show up. Just part of the process. As far as wealth and environmental regulation goes China is currently about where Britain was a couple hundred years ago.
>>
>>2065034
Right, but they have a straight authoritarian government too. If the party really wanted to they could crack down on it hard. The UN should put sanctions on them to encourage the leadership to do so.
>>
>>2065039
They won't crack down on it until it won't affect their mass production factories.
>>
Humanity is fucked

>do i need to explain ?
>>
File: 1447552708586.gif (3 MB, 670x348) Image search: [Google]
1447552708586.gif
3 MB, 670x348
>>2065677
What the actual fuck?!
Are there people who are really this stupid to just take a marine animal and expose it to the burning summer sun?
Holy fucking shit...
>>
>>2065682
There are places where they have to fence off beaches for sea turtles mating and egg laying because so many people go there, and take pictures with them, and pick them up and FUCKING STAND ON THEM.

There are a LOT of blindingly stupid people that honestly think they have a right to do whatever they want.
>>
>>2065715
http://www.sliptalk.com/tourists-stopped-these-sea-turtles-from-nesting/
>>
>>2065682
>>2065682
>>2065715
>>2065718

Third world countries always have massive issues with this stuff.

Although, someone did point out that the bags that people used to collect all the turtle eggs were from a rescue group or something. One day I hope we'll fucking sort our shit out.
>>
>>2065677
Group mentality is interesting thing. How many have the bravery to question something that they have doubts about, when they are not 100% sure? No-one wants to be a killjoy.

>>2065718
Yes that article was balanced, it mentions that the collecting of eggs actually helps the turtles. Last thread about this people got angry about the collecting which was not the point, just the folks being ignorant.
>>
>>2065718
I remember when /an/ had a massive shit storm over this.
>>
>black bear wanders into town

>everyone wants to fucking shoot it
>>
File: sonic.jpg (116 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
sonic.jpg
116 KB, 960x960
>>2062069
>shopping for lowest price like a miser instead of supporting best service
>>
>>2062655
>http://www.wired.com/2014/06/rats-regret-making-the-wrong-decision/
>(Redish says this is his favorite meme about regret).
i'm not sure if i should trust this source...
>>
>>2062146

Copper leeches into water.
>>
>>2060466
I suppose people constantly feeding petting zoo animals like goats and sheep because "oh look pellet machines! let's feed the animals sweetie it'll be cute :)".

Yech. Even if the goats and sheep love munching on the pellets, eating constantly is NOT good for their health. Their bellies get real swollen from all the filler food folks give them.

And when the petting zoo leaves to go to another town, they also leave a bunch of hay and shit on the cement, which is just EXCELLENT to get in the grooves of your shoes and tires (they set the zoo in the parking lot of a tiny strip mall near my house)
>>
>>2060466
>Savagely poach an animal for one resource
Is it really necessary to down a fucking elephant for its tusks? Would it be to difficult to at least do something like tranq it and take off just the tip and call it a day rather than uprooting its entire face and leaving it to bleed out?
>>
>>2066402
That has been discussed, but you know how much the mafia that runs that shit cares about such things. If they run out of elephants they'll just figure something else out.
>>
>>2062581
fuck you, I actually enjoy /tv/
>>
>>2062663
>1v1ing nature.
implying humans cant force the extinction of bears if they feel like it
>>
>>2066402
For poachers, it's more work and more time for doing something that is still illegal
>>
>>2060466
I'm sure the chinese employees clean that thing out like once a week. no way they are going to get up to more than $20 before someone empties it out.

I have had tanks for 30 years and don't really think that situation is harmful at all. It actually looks better than most.
>>
>>2064185
Most of /an/ consists of highly-emotional, female fuckwits. At least someone like that bugguy balanced it out by being the literal opposite, while still being a fuckwit. Just like us all.
>>
>>2063795
According to the Catholic church women didn't have souls until they thought about the implications that women give birth to men and if women don't have souls neither do men. Also why would they have a patron saint of animals if the animals didn't have souls? Catholics are weird.
>>
>>2062074
>"trading in" pets for better pets like they are fucking cars (basically getting rid of a mutt when they find a purebred of its breed mix)

What the fuck, people do this? How can you bond with a dog then just get rid of it?
>>
>>2062901
And thus, you proved yourself to be a self centred asshat,
>>
>>2060466
In Flint we throw lead in the water
>>
File: Img.45327988900.jpg (6 KB, 199x253) Image search: [Google]
Img.45327988900.jpg
6 KB, 199x253
>>2060467
Kek well it's their fault for eating all those damn coins!
>>
>>2060486
[Citation needed], faggot
>>
File: TEAM_FORTRESS_2.png (317 KB, 481x347) Image search: [Google]
TEAM_FORTRESS_2.png
317 KB, 481x347
>>2061988
Since 1982 (i am a coinfag)
>>
File: 1456155083350.jpg (31 KB, 313x286) Image search: [Google]
1456155083350.jpg
31 KB, 313x286
>>2062122
>>
File: Asher and Belial 2016-01-01 2.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
Asher and Belial 2016-01-01 2.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>2062133
The vet said that about my Russian Blue too, lol
>>
>>2070712
What the fuck, it was right-side-up on my thumbnail
>>
>>2070632
They have a patron saint of phones dude. Catholicism has all kinds of shit that doesn't make sense

>>2070682
They don't bond with the dog like you or I would, that's the problem
>>
>>2070632
>According to the Catholic church women didn't have souls

yeah, no, actually the idea that souls are genderless and everybody has one goes back before Catholicism existed
>>
>>2062074
I get the thing about dogs. My dog (a mongrel bitch) is shit scared of cats but she is swole as fuck, just really neurotic.
>>
>>2070714
Either 4chan doesn't respect EXIF orientation flag or whatever program you used didn't. It would be easy to test but I'm too lazy.
Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.