[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/aq/ - aquarium general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57
File: image.gif (2 MB, 636x289) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 636x289
Previous thread: >>
Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size
-parameters
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
>How to cycle your tank: http://pastebin.com/x4WnB0Ah
>General aquarium care sheets - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/
>Livestock and plants for sale - http://www.liveaquaria.com/ http://www.aquabid.com
>FUCKING GOOGLE - http://www.google.com
>>
>>2060039
The fuck is going on there?
>>
Today's a digging day on the pond/Brook going to be a chilly one
>>
>>2060077
Dude please rethink putting the plecos and red terrors in. They'll die from cold temps.
>>
>>2060077

I love the effort your putting into this. It should be pretty sweet when it's done. Are you worried about wildlife poaching your fish at all?

Stay warm out there man.
>>
Fish shipment gets her in 3 hours and 20 minutes. Hoping for the best.
>>
>>2060082
That's a different anon pretending to be me to get reactions, I won't put anything in that isn't either native to my state , or stocked by the state meaning they want them in the waters
>>2060083
Like I've said before it won't be pretty like at all , but hopefully il be able to grow some nice size fishes in it
Not like there's much else to do with this weather , too cold for normal fishing , not enough ice for ice fishing , too cold for kayaking, I've already organised my entire garage, its a bit too cold to dirtbike

So why not dig a pond? The physical activity helps keep me warm and busy

Not super worried about critters, if I have any (serious) issues il just trap them since I do have my trapping license
>>
Posted this in the other thread before I realized there was a new one up, so sorry for the repeat. If a pleco is being bitten, it would move the fuck out the way, right? I don't know if my shark is nipping him or simply nudging him, but the pleco doesn't move.
>>
>>2060105
How big is the pleco? I had a 6 inch common pleco and he didn't give a shit if my corys landed on him or anything. Try touching him.
>>
>>2060107
Little. I think it might be a female now that I look more closely, she's a 1.5 inch albino bristlenose. I just saw her move when the shark nudged/nipped near her eye, so I guess she does move if she's going to be damaged. I'm just worried about her taking bites from some of the bigger fish.
>>
File: IMG_20160211_140312~2.jpg (726 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160211_140312~2.jpg
726 KB, 2000x2000
>>
>>2060112
Triggered.
>>
>>2060112
so what living thing could you keep in a box that small. I feel like maybe plants and snails?
>>
>>2060112
>betta paradise
More like betta torture chamber
>>
>>2060105
That's odd behaviour. My ancistrus will dart for cower as soon as any fish comes near him, even if it's just the cardinal tetras.
>>
>>2060111
Oh I see. You won't be able to tell sex until they are fully grown and get bristles. Females get little to none. Mines only a little over an inch and fights off the others bottom feeders.
>>
>>2060120
My bristlenose is letting pretty much every fish in the tank nudge/nip her. She does move sometimes, she moved when a tetra got her (it was an obvious bite). I'm wondering if the shark and now the kuhli loach aren't actually nipping her. I imagine if they hurt her, she'd gtfo.
>>
>>2060123
She(?) has no visible bristles so far, so I'll assume female for now. Being wrong is okay.
>>
>>2060124
You have a cave or some driftwood for it?
>>
Female aquarist should post here. I rarely see them and if I do it's a bimbo buying feeders or bettas to put in a bowl or tacky tank.
>>
>>2060130
Plenty of women post here without you ever knowing.
>>
>>2060129
Yep. Two pieces of driftwood that form little caves, one of which is absolutely covered in moss. I'll have to get a bigger one as she grows, I'm on the search for the perfect piece of driftwood so I can do some actual nice aquascaping.

>>2060130
I'm female, and there are probably others. I just don't announce that I'm female upon entering a thread. That would be silly.
>>
>>2060132
Oh god. What do your boobs look like or at least the size? Take a pic with your pleco on them to keep it fish related.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
Someone gave me this piece of driftwood on a slate stand. I think it looks nice.
>>
>>2060142
I would love one similar to that. That's a good find. I hope to get one with a root system that I can turn into a moss tree, too.

>>2060141
You don't want to see them, I'm a mother and I've had rapid weight loss in the past. It ain't great, trust me.
>>
>>2060141
This is why we don't tell you, friend anon.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
Delhezi just arrived along with African brown Knifefish. Incoming pic of them.
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>2060167
>>
Would a 15g column be good for shrimp and microfish? I kinda wanna upgrade my tank, but only have room for stuff 16" across.
>>
>>2060179
That's fine.
>>
>>2060142
>>2060167
>>2060171
Did you put a bichir and a knifefish in a tank with a betta?
>>
>>2060185
Bettas there until his tank is cycled. The Bichir is only 2 inches the Knifefish is 3 and the betta is 3. So it will be absolutely fine until his tank is cycled.
>>
>>2060124
Have you checked for ich? It can be hard to spot on the albino plecos.

>>2060179
It has roughly as much floor space as a 5 gallon, so as long as you stock with fish that you would normally be okay with putting in a 5 gallon, it's fine. Personality I think it would be great as a shrimp tank with some manzanita branches spanning the full height of the column, maybe with some microrasboras.

Could you maybe find a 16 inch cube? It would be a lot better for stocking fish (256in2 vs 144in2).
>>
>>2060187
Okay, that's cool. There's no way you could keep a delhizi with a betta long term, but you know what you're doing. Nice wood btw.
>>
>>2060189
Oh I know. I also have emerald corys in the tank because the my 30 gallon cracked. But the new tank is almost cycled. The betta might go though. Someone offered my $50.
>>
>>2060188
She has pale spots, but they look like a natural part of her coloration. I don't see anything that looks unusual.
>>
>>2060188
I think I might be able to find one at my LFS. I currently have RCS, chili rasboras, and a betta. I mainly wanna upgrade so I can get a bigger school of rasboras.
>>
>>2060195
One more thing, are biocubes worth the ridiculous price? I know one LFS carries them, but they seem to be incredibly overpriced. Do they have special functions or something that causes the high price?
>>
>>2060197
http://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-Prism-Aquarium-Black/dp/B00BJ7F3KU
>>
>>2060197
It's for the sake of having everything look more streamlined, with no separate units for lighting or filtration. They have wet/dry filters, which are one of the only types that can get rid of nitrates, and I believe they also come with a built in skimmer, but that's of limited use with a freshwater tank.

>>2060199
>"29 gallon Biocubes are so expensive!"
>"How about this 3 gallon knockoff as an alternative?"
>>
anybody have any experience/notable issues/random stories about caring for bolivian rams? they're next on my list of fish Im looking to get
>>
>>2060211
Kill yourself fat faggot
>>
>>2060197
Yes, they definately are worth it as an upgrade. But I would never pay full price for one. Check craigslist frequently, they are often on there for less than 100 bucks. Theres a 24 gallon JBJ nano w/ t5's for sale on my local hobbyist facebook page for only 50 bucks, totally worth every penny.
>>
File: blueAcara3.jpg (49 KB, 375x300) Image search: [Google]
blueAcara3.jpg
49 KB, 375x300
Little bro wants me to set up a tank for him. He's mainly looking for a solitary aggressive fish that will be fine on it's own, like an oscar. The only problem is that the only tank I have spare is a 50g. What fish would be suitable for that? I've been thinking a blue acara, but tell me if you have any recommendations.

And no, it doesn't have to be a cichlid.
>>
>>2059778
>>2059780
Fish dead.
Friend in shambles.
Rip Charlie 2011-2016.
>>
>>2060227
Electric blue acara. I have one. Ate all my guppys. Is he looking for some super mega vicious rip fish apart fish while he masturbates fish? I've had a brown Knifefish (not the ghost knife kind) for years and he's at 7 inches and is cool, solitary, and something different
>>
>>2060230
That's what happens when buying inbred fish
>>
How do you guys get your water so absolutely pristine and clear?
My water (when i had a tank) was mostly clear but sometimes had a very slight yellow tint when looked at outside of the aquarium, the levels were all normal too
>>
>>2060245
Tetra food
>>
>>2060245
Good quality food. And I rarely use wood because it leaches tannins and I don't like that look.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2379x3172) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2379x3172
So cute
>>
>>2060245
I hear good things about purigen
>>
File: 3 gal.jpg (512 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
3 gal.jpg
512 KB, 1280x1707
been lurking on these threads for a few weeks, here's my current set up in a 3 gallon tank, it holds 1 male African clawed frog and a few moss balls of varying sizes, any recs?
>>
>>2060245
i use moss and live plants that helps keep the water clean
>>
>>2060245
I prefer having the slight orange tint, I think it makes my fish look a bit more like they were actually in their natural habitats, but if you want pure water your best bet is to go for LED lighting (for a pure white/slightly blue base), not having a piece of wood (will release tannin into the water to dye it slightly brown), and using a treatment like AquaClear (to remove chemicals from tap water and bind particles in the tank). Another good idea is to get a filter with active carbon, which will also strip particles out of the water.
>>
>>2060141
I lold
>>
>>2060115
Pretty much only brine shrimp and freshwater snails. Could be cute though.

These kinds of containers should be illegal to produce and sell.
>>
File: JuwelVision180.jpg (284 KB, 1173x1400) Image search: [Google]
JuwelVision180.jpg
284 KB, 1173x1400
What does /aq/ think of Juwel?
>>
>>2060237
He's not specifically looking for something that will attack shit all the time, just something that prefers to be kept one per tank due to aggression, like a betta.
>>
>>2060271
I'm not fond of them, but that's because I don't like their stands. I prefer sturdier ones that I can also use for non-fish stuff, like my current tank is on top of my bedroom dresser while the stand is wrapped in plastic in my garage. By all accounts solid tanks and good furniture, just not my taste is all.
>>
>>2060220
I'll have you know I'm not fat.
>>
>taking pictures of fish
>trying to get pics of one particular fish
>one angelfish is enthralled by camera
>gets in the way of every shot

Well, I have like twenty pics of the same angelfish now.
>>
>>2060214
I've had a male in my 40 breeder for about four months. Got another male and two females about a month ago and moved them from quarantine just yesterday. My bristlenose pleco liked to chase chase the one around and beat him up, I'm hoping that'll change with the new additions.

What kind of information were you looking for?
>>
Fish is flashing, don't see anything unusual on him, just did a 30% water change yesterday, parameters were fine. wat do?
>>
>>2060275
Try African brown knifefish. Or the acara my acara is territorial and was attacking the Knifefish and Bichir but has stopped and accepted them. But he will be moving soon as I change it slowly into w African tank.
>>
>>2060278
i know that feel
>>
>>2060278
I know what you mean. As soon as I approach the tank my angelfish always swim right up to the glass and follow me around, getting in the way of whatever fish I'm actually trying to look at or photograph.
Cichlids are attention whores.
>>
>>2060301
>cichlids are attention whores
They really are. As far as fish go, they seem to have a lot of personality. I dig it. Just wish I could get a clear shot of some of my shyer fish.
>>
Been thinking about getting some axolotls, what am i up to?
>>
>>2060323
Think of a full grown axolotl as roughly half of a full grown goldfish in terms of care.
>>
Diana Walstad's book mentions allelopathy, which in the most ghetto terms, deals with the presence of plant A affecting the development of plant B, because the plants emit chemicals or some shit. Basically a plant can stunt the growth of another plant, or alternatively enhance it. Natural selection at work.

I feel like I've experienced this. I've had plants that used to grow like weeds basically fizzle and damn near die out after the introduction of another plant.

Sadly I don't see any kind of hard data collected in this realm. It would be interesting to be able to chart plant compatibility.

All said, I wonder if plants from nearby regions and habitats would "get along" better. I guess this is all very pseudoscientific, but would a tank comprised of plants from just Southeast Asia flourish better than a tank with plants from pretty much every continent on the globe?
>>
>>2060142
I think you are being trolled anon, that big one on the left is shaped exactly like a horse dick.

Your friend tricked you into putting a gigantic wooden phallus in your tank.
>>
>>2060261
Get another 2 frogs to keep him company
>>
>>2060245
If you want perfectly crystal clear water then use something like this. But remember, this would be completely separate from your normal filter, otherwise you are torturing your fish by throwing away the bacteria and forcing them to cycle over and over again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4CnMWfQfc0
>>
>>2060304
They're supposedly some of the smartest fish (not that it says much considering how dumb most fish are), but I definitely agree that their personalities are the most distinctive ones in my tank.
>>
>>2060337
plants only affect eachother if they arent getting what they need and "feel" the need to compete.

if you give them plenty of nutrients and Co2 they shouldnt mess with eachother

plenty of land plants will do this too when the soil is depleted of nutrients
>>
>>2060211
>>2060222
So I ended up getting a biocube 14. Gonna try to do a really nice aquascape with it. Should I get some floramax to go under my sand? I've heard I can get away with pure sand as long as I keep up with fertilizer and CO2 dosage.
>>
>>2060365
Either do soil with a sand cap or use Osmocote root tabs with the sand. I don't see using Floramax under the sand doing you much good.
>>
Who else wonders what it'd feel like to get a blow job from a pleco?
>>
>>2060382
It would barely get its mouth around the tip
>>
>>2060382
That depends, are we talking about an anthropomorphic pleco, or full on bestiality?
>>
File: 1453048319523.jpg (168 KB, 500x818) Image search: [Google]
1453048319523.jpg
168 KB, 500x818
>>2060398
>full on bestiality

good idea
>>
File: 1454343458440.jpg (33 KB, 600x564) Image search: [Google]
1454343458440.jpg
33 KB, 600x564
I wish all the cuckweed in my tank would fucking just die

I'm putting in a circulation fan to hopefully make conditions less ideal for it to propagate and eventually die, but it's been a pain in the ass to also save my water lettuce, water sprite, and even my spiky moss which is catching sinking duckweed by the ton
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 275x183
>>2060382
It'd probably feel like 80 grit sandpaper. They use their mouths to scrape at wood.
>>
>>2060432
>cuckweed
i lold
>>
>>2060432
net out as much as possible and do your best to keep nutrients down in the water column
>>
>>2060437
I've been netting it out since yesterday, I think I got like 80% of it. I also saved my water sprite and lettuce and put it in a bowl for later, which also undoubtedly has duckweed hitchhikers I have to scan for later

I can't even drydose my tank with ferts, I'm sure my crypts and moss will survive a few weeks but I'm still irritated
>>
>>2060439
you can do root tabs still
osmocote diy doesn't do much to the water column which is what duckweed feeds off of
>>
>>2060432
I'm dealing with the same thing in my tank. I decided yesterday to just net everything out with the water lettuce. After I'm sure I've gotten it all I'm going to put some more water lettuce in from another tank. It's such a plague. I started with two or three leaves that hitchhiked and by yesterday it covered a third of my 40 gallon.

>>2060261
Would look nicer with some floating plants imo, just not duckweed. I'm really fond of how Salvinia minima looks in my nano. Pretty, easy to deal with, and no fuckhuge roots that take over small tanks.
>>
what is the most interesting thing I could put in a give gallon?

I like bettas but they are kind of boring to watch
>>
>>2060039
If I drink a shot glass full of ostracods, can I spit hadouken, too?
>>
>>2060488
Pea puffer, scarlet badis, or CPO. The CPO is the only beginner/intermediate level one out of those.
>>
>>2060493
Is the crayfish coldwater?
>>
>>2060493
>putting a pew puffer in a 5 gallon when they require 30 gallons
>>
>>2060501
Which pea puffer are you talking about? seriouslyfish says you can keep just one in as tiny as a 12"x8"x8" tank

>>2060447
I don't want to disturb the substrate as much as possible, and I want to keep dosing column ferts. I guess I'll just have to wait a week or two before refertilizing again after I scoop out duckweed everyday
>>
>>2060519
if you use tweezers it shouldnt disturb the substrate more than any fish

look here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHHvA-Fgs_4
>>
>>2060501
You do realize there are different species of puffer, right?
>>
>>2060494
Their temperature range is about 60°-80°F.
>>
God damn this cold front, my tank is at 65f and holding. It might be an all bloodworm week just to build fats and calories for my fishes.
>>
>>2060601
are you a homeless person?
>>
File: IMG_20160211_235102.jpg (1 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160211_235102.jpg
1 MB, 4160x2340
>catfish is upside down
>reflection is right side up
This is disorienting.
>>
File: 4894613746794.jpg (105 KB, 1024x729) Image search: [Google]
4894613746794.jpg
105 KB, 1024x729
>>2060112
I used to have a little 1 gallon betta cube kind of just like that.
Planted some baby tears and kept a few shrimp & snails inside! Kept a little 5 watt heater inside and made my own mini trickle down filter + sump for it too!
Despite being regarded as "torture" chambers for betta fish, they still have plenty of other uses that people can get out of them as long as you're creative.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
I finally got some fish I actually want in my 30 gal. Got 10 ember tetras and 10 neons. The embers are fantastic, they swim all over, in through the plants and ate even today on their very first day, I even saw some mating displays. The neons were boring as shit at first, cowering behind my Java ferns for a while but they have started to become more adventurous. All in all I think ember tetras are my new favourite small fish.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>2060642
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 221x249) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 221x249
>>2060112

>no one has made the 1 gallon super betta bowl with built in filter heater controller light dimming timer easy to do water change drainer and filler

Maybe I should just do it...
>>
>>2060433
jesus how horrifying
>>
>>2060655
If you go through all that trouble and only make it 1 gallon, you're a... well, you're just a terrible person.
>>
>>2060548
Yes and that pea puffer needs 30 gallons
>>
>>2060663
>citation needed
>>
>>2060670
not him but here's one:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+836+971&pcatid=971
>>
>>2060671
>seriouslyfish: 3.3 gal
>aquariumwiki: 5 gal
>badmanstropicalfish: 3 gal
>aqadvisor: 5 gal

Recommendations are all over the place. People who actually have experience keeping them almost always cite the 3-5 gallon recommendations, and usually note that they're just difficult to clean up after.
>>
>>2060672
>People who actually have experience keeping them
the quantity of the experience matters.

I never take advice from /aq/ for instance. Sure, a lot of people here have some experience keeping certain animals, but unless they've been keeping the same animal alive for at least five years nothing they could possibly say would sway me.

Not that I care about your silly little argument about pea puffers. I just gave you a citation from a well-respected and almost unanimously trusted source.
>>
>>2060673
The same site says Kuhli Loaches need 50 gallons minimum while Blue Gouramis only need 20 gallons

I think I'd rather trust an anon quoting 4 reputable online sites for fishkeeping vs a moron citing online retailer recommendations
>>
>>2060672
>>2060673
>>2060680
Hope you samefags lose all your fish today.
>>
>>2060680
I think I would rather trust a business that has been in business for a long time and actually cares for fish.
>>
I just went ahead and sacrificed my other floating plants along with the duckweed. Figured I'd replace them later.

People who sell floating plants with duckweed hidden in it should go to hell.
>>
>2015
>not having a Saltwatertank
>>
>>2060723
Ahh yes the most sensitive of fish tanks. Even a spec of dust will kill everything in the tank.
>>
>>2060725
This is what Freshwater people actualy believe
>>
>>2060728
It is a true fact. My room mate took a shit in my tank with green terror and Bichir and they lived and are still alive. Do that in a salt water tank and the first drop of poop kills everything almost immediately.
>>
>>2060731
I hope you got your roommate back for that.

>>2060723
I don't like them.
>>
>>2060731
Ok sure, if i pour Bleach, or hostile Bacteria in a Tank of course stuff will die.
But belive me, you only have to monitor the Tank a bit more than a freshwater Tank. But the workload is the same
>>
>>2060732
fair enough
>>
I have a 5 gal mixed reef tank with two red bubble tip anemones.
Do these harm other coral just by their touch or do they also secret toxins into the water?

Zoanthus, SPS and softcoral are slowly going down; Corallimorpharia, Gorgonia and Pavona are doing fine.
Not sure if these developments are connected to the rise of the bubble tip anemones.
>>
>>2060741
anemones have toxins in their tentacles. But they tend to wander around, but without knoledge of the waterstats its hard to say.

SpS are hard to care for. Enough light? Enough Current?
>>
File: 0211161837e.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
0211161837e.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>2060493
So pea puffers and scarlet badis are in the expert level range or something? I have both, but I don't understand what would make them difficult to care for.
>>
>>2060741
did a part of it got shredded in a Pump? That can releases Toxins
>>
>>2060745
The only things I can think of that would make them expert level fish are the pea puffers' temperament and the badis' need for live food.
>>
File: _IGP8402.jpg (358 KB, 685x1024) Image search: [Google]
_IGP8402.jpg
358 KB, 685x1024
>>2060744
yeah, i know, but i don't have any test, because it's just a cheap, small tank.
It is running for more than 4 years now and sps were doing okay to fine before.

I had to move my two sps stocks a little lower and i also have a hermit crab now which needs some food; so maybe it's good nutrition which caused the anemones to grow huge lately.

I guess there is not enough space and light to keep both anemones and sps anyway and I might as well enjoy watching the anemones win.

pic taken in 9/14
>>
>>2060754
yep, its way to crwoded in there. Corals make them self space with Poison, so the Quadricolor porbably Kills the other stuf.
The Hermitcrabs dont need extra food, you have enough algae in there
>>
File: _IGP3915.jpg (357 KB, 685x1024) Image search: [Google]
_IGP3915.jpg
357 KB, 685x1024
>>2060754
and this is now
>>
>>2060758
I think the Quadricolor blocks the light for the Bottom stuff and Stings the stuff at the Top.
>>
>>2060761
yes, you are right.

If I'd gave the Quadricolor away, Xenia would be on top again, which would cause a lot of gardening to regain space for sps.

Aestheticallywise I think that a colourful sps on top would look better and that Quadricolor is way too big.
>>
>>2060763
The SpS and the ,probably a, Coellogorgia? is dead. They never survive such a close encounter.
You could let nature take its way. But take out dead Tissue due to rotten stuff
>>
>>2060766
You'd wonder, only the parts of the colony in direct proximity to the anemone and in dark shadow die, the others mostly open and grow, at least on the gorgonia.

I now changed the place of the brown Montipora SpS to the left side holder thingi and ditched the almost dead Seriatopora inside.
Maybe the Monti will recover; it got more light and stronger current now.
>>
>>2060682
>I'd rather trust the business over the informative articles
lolk

>>2060745
They're considered as much. As soon as any freshwater fish "requires" live food and careful monitoring of water quality, it's expert level. They're certainly more involved than gourami or livebearers.
Your fish are cute btw. I enjoy when you post them.
>>
>>2060792
Articles written by anyone that can also be edited by anyone. I wish death upon anything you own from now until the nd of your pathetic mongloid life. Nothing should live in your abusive care.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I'm really enjoying this guy so far. Turning my tank into African tank. The Knifefish is doing well now. He was swimming all weird. I think the trip stressed him out really bad.
>>
My malawa shrimp should be getting delivered soon. But I'm at the office and won't be there to get them until this evening. Should have picked my remote days better.

Luckily my bros are at home to rescue the package from below-freezing temps.
>>
File: Poecilocharax_weitzmani_1.jpg (22 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
Poecilocharax_weitzmani_1.jpg
22 KB, 630x420
>>2060796
Most articles for fish though, are made by people who dream of getting stores, and research everything. Several are written by biologists, like Roy Caldwell has some awesome articles on mantis shrimp captivity.

Sometimes the articles are written by people who know their shit. And if you know your stuff, you can fact check it on your own. Brush up on microbiology, the krebs cycle, basic ecology, you'll be set. This is micro-macro ecology. In reefs, you always see micro-life in good conditions. In freshwater too, but people are more rough with freshwater fish. And the inverts of that water are killed with chlorine.

Really this is a hobby, not science, and people running a buisiness are likely trying to sell stuff. Not to say that they don't have good stuff. But to sell things is why they are less reliable for care info. I bet they sell goldfish in bowls, which is not proper care, they sell fish that get massive to home hobbiest. and that's why home hobbyist is getting revenge with information.

Bettas are tropical, nemo's are trans, corals are poison, and if you meet us, we'll give you plants. (not my fish, I can't afford them.)
>>
>>2060806
Not him but why would they say 30 gallons for a 1 inch puffer instead of the 5 gallons? It would move more if they said a smaller size.
>>
>>2060809
Liability, maybe?

>satisfaction guarantee!
>"mine ded"
>well did you give it a 30 gallon tank? no? then no guarantee for you
>>
>trying to find cool looking native fish for project
>>
>>2060825
Native fish are never cool unless you live in a tropical part of the world
>>
>>2060829
yeah but id like to find the neatest of wat i have, does anyone here have any resources of listings fo all species of fish, big or small found in a certain area? im having trouble
>>
>>2060829
Most colorful tropical fish are boring as fuck, coldwater fish tend to be much more interesting.
>>
>>2060832
I ain't talking about colorful fish whiteboi. Cold water fish sit around while my clown knife fish is always on the prowl.
>>
>>2060833
My weather loach coils in the palm of my hand and begs for food and play.
>>
>>2060834
I could eat it like a fucking gummy worm
>>
think i could keep a chain pickerel in with other fishes?
>>
>>2060825
Get a perch. They're actually really cool. Spiky, big, and green-brown-orange is a pretty good colour scheme.
>>
File: image.jpg (99 KB, 625x860) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99 KB, 625x860
>>2060832
>>
>>2060859
They're #1 on my list now I'm trying to think of shit to pair them with, some sort of catfish, and I may try a chain, or grass pickeral
>>
Ok, so I'm trying to figure out what plants I wanna use in my 14 gallon planted shrimp tank. I was thinking a nice carpet of hairgrass with a small patch of pogostemon helferi. Was gonna have alternanthera reineckii as a midground plant with some dwarf rotala and cyperus helferi in the back.
>>
>>2060870
>I would poo in the loo but we have designated shitting streets in my country
>>
>>2060877
Cryptocorne wendtii
>>
>>2060888
Any particular kind? I've seen green, brown, and tropica.
>>
File: 20160212_133240-1.jpg (3 MB, 2236x2236) Image search: [Google]
20160212_133240-1.jpg
3 MB, 2236x2236
In your opinion, what are the coolest live bearing fish?
Platies, mollies, or guppies?

Pic is of my two male painted platies
>>
File: swordtail-tuxedo-red-male.jpg (40 KB, 520x360) Image search: [Google]
swordtail-tuxedo-red-male.jpg
40 KB, 520x360
>>2060898
>>
>>2060800
gotta get an African butterfly fish
theyre pretty cool
>>
>>2060898
Endler's Livebearers.
>>
>>2060898
The other two anons are right, the ones you didn't mention. Swordtails are baisically mollies but more active, endlers are guppies but not so inbred that they can't survive the commute home.
>>
File: opcsqv.jpg (112 KB, 727x898) Image search: [Google]
opcsqv.jpg
112 KB, 727x898
>>2060898
>>
>>2060624

Did you need to dose CO2 for the baby tears?
>>
>>2060358
I don't remember the book mentioning this. It also has anecdotes regarding how plants did shitty in tank A and did well in tank B inexplicably.

In my case, my hygrophila died out despite previously being the weediest plant in my tank at one point. It went from being the only plant that was doing well to the only plant that was doing terribly. It just...stopped growing. This was also after I started EI dosing, so nutrients should have been abundant.

Although if you have any resources or knowledge on allelopathy I'm all ears.
>>
>>2060912
You need to dose a whole lot more than Co2 for baby tears.
>>
>>2060918

Well yeah. I was just wondering how he managed baby tears in a 1 gallon tank. I specifically asked about CO2 since it would be a hassle to do for something so small scale.
>>
File: IMG_20150805_120648.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150805_120648.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
>>2060901
Can confirm.
>>
>>2060898
>>
What are some quality aquarium memes?

>RCS are hardy

No they're fucking not. Of all the things I've kept these things die the most.

They breed like crazy they die like crazy.
>>
Will a red tailed shark play well with dwarf crayfish?
>>
File: dj_000.jpg (18 KB, 569x348) Image search: [Google]
dj_000.jpg
18 KB, 569x348
>>2060898
Heterandria formosa.

>smallest fish in North America.
>can easily keep a colony in 10g aquarium.
>easy to breed, but don't produce giant batches of fry like other livebearers
>can survive in room temperature water just fine.
>drift around the tank looking adorable.

Literally the perfect fish and they're illegal to keep in my state.
>>
>>2060898
Halfbeaks. Or the guy who said heterandria formosa.
>>
>>2060996
>Halfbeaks
Are they rare?
Never seen them irl.
>>
File: 1455320663000-1873565618.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
1455320663000-1873565618.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>betta keeps following around corys and attempting to bottom feed (occasionally grabs stuff then just spits it out) like he's schooling with them
If you weren't hard wired to kill on sight I promise I'd get you friends that were less retarded.
>>
>>2060745
>teeny tiny fish smaller than the tip of my finger
>IT NEEDS SIX GAGILLION GALLONS!!!!

Jesus fucking christ, not every fish is related to wild carp, the way goldfish are. Nor are they bettas trapped in a fucking cup.
>>
>>2061043
There is nothing that pains me more than cup bettas after seeing gow active and intelligent mine is. Is there really no better way to stock them?
>>
>>2060796
Now that's just going too far. You can hate a fellow anon all you want, but wishing harm on an innocent creature is just plain sadistic.

What the hell has anon's FISH ever done to you? You, anon, are the pathetic mongloid.
>>
>>2061043
Kill yourself. If you don't want to properly house a fish then you should not be keeping them. I hope overnight everything you take care of dies.
>>
>>2060911
Jesus, those fish look almost as deformed as some goldfish breeds.
>>
>>2061047
Where the hell did I even remotely imply that I keep either goldfish or bettas in cups/bowls?

Now quit being an idiot and wishing death on other people's pets, I'm starting to wonder if the reason why you are so mad is because you are jealous that everybody else has better tanks/cooler fish than you.
>>
File: exhibit A.jpg (95 KB, 554x776) Image search: [Google]
exhibit A.jpg
95 KB, 554x776
Saw this today on facebook.
If I had the space Id probably take it off her hands
I'd get rid of the oscars, pleco, and parrots.
>>
>>
>>2060968

It's possible that the red tails will attack or even eat the crayfish after it molts.
>>
File: 4d9ed9010401d[1].jpg (19 KB, 426x284) Image search: [Google]
4d9ed9010401d[1].jpg
19 KB, 426x284
>>2060898
Fuck all of you.
Mollies are cute and have personalty
>>
File: oldschool.jpg (27 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
oldschool.jpg
27 KB, 480x360
What are peoples opinions on traditional thai betta breeding
>>
File: 0120161732a.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
0120161732a.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>2060792
I guess I take living in the South for granted then. I feed the badis by keeping a bucket outside and giving him mosquito larvae. He also eats stray shrimplets but not enough to stop the colony from growing. No idea why Clover turns my pictures sideways.
>>
>>2061057
How can you have such a large tank with so many aggressive fish and not be capable of making it look at least a little nice
>>
File: dream1.jpg (92 KB, 757x768) Image search: [Google]
dream1.jpg
92 KB, 757x768
>>2061045
There is, but no store in the US wants to invest in a barracks.
>>
>>2061053
The fuck do you think deformed means? They're just color patterns.
>>
>>2060913
same anon here

i had a similar experience with hygrophila, except i increased my lighting. everything else in my tank loved it while the hygrophila withered away to nothing over about a week

i had the water wisteria variety. maybe it just dislikes changes
>>
>>2061057
She can't into measurements
>>
>>2061055
Pfft I have a 150 gallon tank with a few predatory fish. If I wanted I could have any fish wanted and make a nice tank. But keep believing you can house a betta in a vase.
>>
>>2061055
I hope your family dies and every kid you have suffers the same as the fish you keep in small chambers
>>
>>2061082
>>2061045
They also tend to sell fast enough that it doesn't matter.
>>
>>2061093
>I have a 150 gallon tank with a few predatory fish
let's see it.

timestamped.
>>
>>2061110
I disagree. I've seen bettas at work stay on the shelves for as long as 3 months if they don't die first.
>>
>>2061120
True. I bought one after two months because he wasn't selling because everyone said he was ugly. I mean he is ugly but in a cute way. Now he's living it up in a 55 gallon and has his own territory that even my bigger fish won't come near.
>>
>>2061120
The one I bought a few weeks ago had an October sticker on his cup.
>>
>>2061125
Pictures please
>>
File: image.jpg (321 KB, 1392x1409) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
321 KB, 1392x1409
>>2061134
Best I could get right now. But I think he's cute.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2350x2372) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2350x2372
>>2061134
He's still adjusting but he's doing a lot better than he was when I got him last night.
>>
I got my first rainbow shark (albino) recently, and I love it. At what age do they start getting aggressive, though? So far, all it really seems to do is hang out with other fish. It's less than two inches long.
>>
>>2061037
I've only seen them twice, and those were at auctions with other rare fish. I'm not sure why they aren't more common.
>>
>>2061037
>>2061164
nvm, it's because they frequently suffer from some type of vitamin deficiency. I can't remember the details, but I remember reading that somewhere. Wild caught specimens might have a few successful broods, but then they become extremely difficult to breed.
>>
>>2061125
I saw your ad on craigslist today. Weird.
>>
>>2061169
Nice. I'm trying to get him a good home since he's basically trying to kill everything in my tank. So far 3 replies saying there kids betta just died so they want him to replace it.
>>
>>2061169
>>2061175
You two live close enough, hook up.
>>
File: pimp rags.jpg (280 KB, 528x600) Image search: [Google]
pimp rags.jpg
280 KB, 528x600
Man, introducing some ladies into the tank has had a profound effect on my Bolivian ram's coloration.
>>
>>2061216
Same thing happened to my Kribensis male. He went from being a slightly orange to a very bright red colour, it was almost instant, really cool!
>>
>>2061216
>>2061217
Is this the fish equivalent of getting /fit/?
>>
>>2060967
This meme is sort of hit and miss desu, sometimes they're indestructible for absolutely no reason in shitty conditions but the moment you begin to pamper them they start dropping like flies
>>
OK so I've had a 2ft tank setup for maybe a year with ADA aquasoil. It's just got shrimp and some tetras in it.

I got the tank second hand so the glass is really cheap and has a bad colour cast.

Not only that but the shrimp are grinding the shit out of the aquasoil meaning the filters are constantly full of red dirt.

I've bought a new glass tank and some eco complete that I want to transfer my tank into.

There's a heap of pond snails in there as well. My question is, if I treat the old tank (driftwood/etc) with snail killer, would I be able to put the driftwood into my new tank or will that affect the shrimp?

and if so, for how long? Could I sell my current shrimp, treat the driftwood/plants then in a few months after it's been in the new tank get more shrimp?
>>
>>2061217
Yeah, I put the females in after lights off and I couldn't believe it when I looked in the tank the next morning. My actual thought was "He looks just like the pictures on Google!"
>>
>>2061249

edit: just been googling. I think I'll just do a salt bath before moving the plants to the new tank
>>
>>2061249
Are you wanting to treat plants as well? If it's just hardscape, it'd be a lot safer to simply boil or bake it. I'd be worried about the wood absorbing the meds.
>>
>>2061252

I've got java fern/java moss/subwassertang attached to the wood
>>
>>2061249
>Take wood, rocks, and or any non living decoration out, boil the shit out of it.
>Put it in new tank along with the soil/water/any brand new plants.
>Once fully cycled, transfer fish and shrimp to new tank.
>Medicate the fuck out of old tank.
>Once all snails are dead, do frequent water changes to get rid of any medication still floating around.
>Salt dip old plants before adding to new tank.
>>
>>2060261
Is that one of those forest bobble head things from Princess Mononoke??
>>
>>2060261

I recommend getting a proper lid for that tank before you end up finding a dried up frog husk on your carpet.
>>
How many RCS should I put in a well filtered 10 gallon with a betta

I hope to have a pretty large amount of them in there. Tired of just keeping solo bettas, bettas aren't exactly high energy pets

I wish I could put amano shrimp but larger shrimp are banned after my amano escaped the tank and ran across the fucking room. scared my girlfriend half to death.
>>
File: emmy.jpg (404 KB, 948x592) Image search: [Google]
emmy.jpg
404 KB, 948x592
>>2061316
btw heres my new betta. first crowntail and first metallic

have always been worried about their fins getting snagged but i think im an advanced enough betta keeper now to have one
>>
>>2061316
your betta is gonna enjoy the premium live food
>>
File: CPO.webm (3 MB, 888x500) Image search: [Google]
CPO.webm
3 MB, 888x500
Hilarious aggro little bastards...
>>
>>2061316
There is a high chance your betta will eat them. If people really want to keep cherry shrimp with a betta, they should establish the tank with a colony of them before getting the fish

Introducing new stuff in your lone betta fish tank can go wrong, even more so with potential tasty shrimp snacks
>>
>>2061350
Suh dude
>>
Anyone notice how these threads die after a certain time? It's because fish owners have jobs and responsibilities to worry about unlike the dog, cat, and reptile owners.
>>
>>2061407
Shit can get expensive.
>>
>>2061409
True. So most of us have jobs to go to instead of being home and cumming all over cats.
>>
>>2061412
I work nights, so I'm usually on here all night long...
>>
>>2061333
Cute overload
>>
>Introduce 5 painted fire red females into my rcs colony to improve colour
>All but 1 due over the next few weeks
>The remaining one is berried

inb4 dead
>>
>>2061333

>Shrimp with your cpo

Do the cpo not eat the shrimp or do you just not give a fuck?
>>
What do you guys think of my tank?

I think I'm gonna remove the plants once I find cooler ones because amazon swords crypts and a moss ball just seems uninteresting plus I wanna have an amazon theme
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2061474
I forgot the picture
>>
>start cycling my 14g biocube
>decide to get some super cheap fish and feeder shrimp to help it cycle
>wake up after day one and one fish and two shrimp have disappeared
>find the fish in the compartment above the bio balls
>shrimp probably stuck in the intake by the carbon filter
Good thing I decided to add some livestock before putting my RCS and micro rasboras in the tank. How should I go about blocking the intakes without fucking everything up? I was thinking about wedging some filter floss in between the carbon filter and intake. Also, the pump seems to be creating an area of high flow at the top. Will that bother my rasboras too much?
>>
>>2061216
He'll get more and more beautiful. Mine developed one inch long streamers on every fin, and had crazy coloration
>>
>>2060054
http://www.cflas.org/are-fish-vomiting-blue-lava-like-nuclear-waste/4489
>>
>>2061488
The filterfloss idea will work, but you'll have to change out the floss like every couple days, unless you get really rough mesh stuff, which i'd recommend. The high flow area will be fine. I've never seen a fish like that have to much water flow.
>>
>>2061475
I wish I could hav a sideways tank.
>>
>>2061523
Gonna give another idea a try first. I have some spare fiberglass screen that Imma superglue onto the back of the intakes. I'll use the filter floss if the glue doesn't hold.
>>
>>2061407
Why do you have to assert superiority over other pet owners? That's pretty shady matey.
>>
>>2061555
Nothing shady mate. It's nice to see fish owners are superior.
>>
>>2061407
I noticed that /aq/ slowed down, but for some reason I associated it with Valentine's day. I have no idea how the relative speed of the rest of the coated has changed, if at all.
>>
File: Plant1.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Plant1.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
Took some sweet photos of my plants, they're pearling like crazy.

Sorry for the horrible focus.
>>
File: image-665406101.jpg (125 KB, 315x420) Image search: [Google]
image-665406101.jpg
125 KB, 315x420
>>2061525
How about an upside down one?
>>
File: Plant2.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Plant2.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>2061659
>>
>>2061661
heh, thats kinda cool..
>>
How bad of an idea would be to use canal or everglades water in a new tank?
>>
>>2061714
probably bad. Lots of crazy bacteria and parasites. Could also be really good though.
>>
File: image.jpg (309 KB, 1200x1030) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
309 KB, 1200x1030
Constipation? I can't tell. Never dealt with it. This image was taken a few days ago and has gotten smaller.
>>
>>2061759
>>2061718
>>2061666
>>2061663
Mods have their panties in a bunch.
Had to scroll to the bottom of this dismal thread to ask a simple question

Anyone ever fed their fry live brine shrimp cysts? Mine seem to be eating them. Will it kill them? Will they hatch? The salinity is only 6 ppt
>>
>>2061762
>Anyone ever fed their fry live brine shrimp cysts?
Yes, but decapsulated
>Will it kill them?
It can if the cysts still have the shells
>Will they hatch? The salinity is only 6 ppt
No, now fuck off
>>
>>2061322
>>2061350
I dunno, I have seen bettas react and not react to shrimp. This betta is pretty inquisitive and checks everything out so i think there's a high likelihood he might eat them. I gotta try though, betta only 10g is just too boring.

How do you stop RCS from getting sucked into the intake of an aquaclear filter? Can I just cut a circle into a big block of foam and basically put a foam shield around the intake
>>
>>2061808
Depends, is the foam made of aquarium safe materials? If so, then yes! Hell, the foam/sponge material you use will even come to house beneficial bacteria that can help keep the ammonia cycle of your tank balanced and healthy.
>>
>>2061856
im talking about using the same foam insert that goes into the aquaclear as the mechanical filtration.

i just wonder if it wouldn't hurt the pump motor to be restricted like that etc. but the aquaclear 20 is really powerful in a 10 gallon, it'd def suck up their little shrimp asses.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.