[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help Please
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 94583_548703441_l.jpg (103 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
94583_548703441_l.jpg
103 KB, 500x334
My roommate got a chameleon, he hasn't raised a reptile before, what kind of wood and such is okay to put in his cage? We feed him like 4-5 crickets a day and spray water on the leaves for him to drink (do they really not drink from a water bowl?) he just likes to chill under his heat lamp. Tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>2059945
Read the fucking caresheets or take chameleon back to pet store.
>>
>>2059949
We did that pleb, you think we are crazy? They are just pretty shitty, I think we probably need to get a stronger heating light, but other than that I think we are doing everything properly. Are we missing something big specifically or did you just assume we are trying to mistreat the animal he got?
>>
>>2059954
>first reptile
>not using dripper and asking about the moving water issue implying you don't know implying your research is inadequate

Do you have it in a screen enclosure? How big? How's the humidity? Are you monitoring it? You can't just hand must the tank with chams. They need a delicate balance of airflow and high humidity. You usually need a misting system to achieve this correctly. This is an advanced reptile to keep and very easy to kill if you don't know what you're doing. You and your friend do not sound like you know what you're doing.
>>
>>2059962
*hand mist
>>
Return and exchange for a leopard gecko or corn snake. This animal is too complex for beginners. Many herp enthusiasts I know who have many reptiles don't like how fussy and fragile they are.
>>
>>2059962
we have a dripper in the corner, but were told it likes it being sprayed everywhere. I am pretty sure I wont convince him to return it, so we should just assume he is going to keep it. We have only had it for about 3 days and were just trying to perfect our setup, our humidity is around 40% and we heard it needs to be around 50. As far as monitoring it we have been checking on it basically constant because he just got it. The enclosure is 2ft x 2ft x 5. He is a juvenile. I'll mention talking to him about maybe getting another type but I think since he has already sunk so much money into habitat and such he wont even consider it.
>>
File: 1269275615756.jpg (15 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1269275615756.jpg
15 KB, 200x200
DESU I don't really have any say in if it stays or goes, he just got it and now I'm trying to make sure its well taken care of so don't hate on me too hard guys. So how can i help make this chameleon's stay comfy?
>>
>>2059972
Well, they really aren't suitable animals for beginners and this shows a total lack of research on your roommate's part. He needs to be responsible and either return it for something easier to care for or really buckle down and research the fuck out of it and get ready to provide for an animal with very specific advanced care needs (which is what he should have done before getting the animal, but hey too late now). One big issue you will have to deal with is maintaining the proper humidity while also providing proper ventilation, since the two pretty much work against each other.
>>
We can be much more helpful with pictures of the setup.
>>
>>2060003
ill get back to you on that
>>
>>2060009
and he never did
>>
File: 1454720350794.jpg (97 KB, 665x537) Image search: [Google]
1454720350794.jpg
97 KB, 665x537
>>2060104
Is chameleon kill, or was it save by jessus?
>>
>>2059945
It's as good as dead. good job retard
>>
Please update with the pic if you can op I'm interested an will be monitoring the next days. I've raised veiled and a fishers cham. Ignore the retards who have nothing to add. Yes it was stupid on your roommates part but it's not stupid on your part to help
>>
>>2059970
>This animal is too complex for beginners
Bullshit, preparing the enclosure is hard, caring for the animal is not.
>>
>>2062315
I'm not saying a beginner who has really researched the care and is devoted to it couldn't handle it, but this guy's roommate clearly hasn't done so. Chameleons are fragile enough you don't get the wiggle room to make newbie mistakes like you do with a leopard gecko or bearded dragon or the like.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.