[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /an/'s views on "no bark collars"? I have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 355x355
What is /an/'s views on "no bark collars"? I have a dog that sleeps in the other room (no room for his crate in my bedroom), and he barks at night about 30 minutes after I put him up.

Personally, I don't want to use one if it'll hurt my dog, but I don't want to react to his barking by coming in to the room he's in. Any suggestions?
>>
Personally not a fan. Barking is your dogs main way of communicating. It's like if someone put that on you but whenever you talked, it'd shock you. Kinda puts a damper on things doesn't it?
That being said, I've definitely seen dogs (or maybe more precisely, owners) That could use a bark collar.
>>
Forgot to add, I live in an apartment, and I want to nip this behavior in the bud before I get complaints from neighbors.
>>
Anything that shuts a dog up is a good thing. If you can't silence it with play, silence it with shocks. And if that doesn't work, leave your apartment so someone considerate can move in.
>>
>>2058143

Basically all modern dog training says to reinforce good behavior and ignore bad behavior. This punishes, which is frowned upon. I don't think they're a good idea. BUT if you absolutely have to shut the dog up due to neighbors etc then I think it's not inhumane or anything..
>>
>>2058145
I use them when I kennel my dogs when u leave the apartment. If I don't they bark non stop and howl like retards. They are two pit bulls.

They don't wear them when I'm home or walk them.

I even video taped them several times before they wore the collars and they barked like crazy for hours. With the collars they lay down and sleep in their blankets in bed.

Make sure to shock them before you put them in the cage alone with it so they know what it's like. It gives a warning beep 3 times before shocking. The first shock is not that bad and the 5th shock if the dog is a retard and keeps barking that dog gets a hell of a shock. I did it on my neck and it fuckin hurt lol. My hand didn't hurt that bad from it but neck and belly hurt really bad on the highest shock.

They can still bark once or twice before the final warning beep so it's not bad. Now once they hear the beep they shut up immediately.
>>
>>2058143
Cesar Milan does endorse the use of such collars but only if they are a brand that is safe to use on a human. In one of the episodes he places it shock side down on the palm of his hand and activates it. The brand that he uses vibrates more than it shocks.

So basically, do your research, if it's nothing more than a glorified taser then do NOT use it on your dog. But if all it does is psychologically shock them into knocking off bad behavior (the shock collar equivalent of getting smacked in the face with a rolled up newspaper, rather than getting clobbered with a baseball bat full of nails) then it is safe and humane.

But make sure they understand WHY it is happening, if all it does is hurt them without them understanding then they will continue to bark, because they are in pain and they don't know why, so it scares them into yelping and howling in fear, which only causes the collar to continue delivering shocks, which causes them to continue making more noise out of terror.

So in essence, it is like everything else about dog training, do your research, get it right the first time in an ethical manner, and it will work correctly as long as you continue to use the tool in a responsible method.
>>
>>2058175

But if I put on the shock collar whenever I leave or go to sleep, won't the dog associate pain with me being gone, or will they make the connection that barking=shock?
>>
>>2058179
Thanks. How do I get them to understand why it's happening? Whenever he's in his crate at night, it's the only time he barks.
>>
>>2058180
>>2058180

It only goes off if they bark. They get warning beep noises that after 3 or 4 warning beeps gives a light tickle shock that then goes off again after another warning beep and then a final strong shock that definitely gets them to not bark.

Both my dogs got shocked with the strong one once and then shut up forever. It was great because my neighbors were not upset and instead of them barking and howling and destroying their vocal cords when I'm gone they sleep.

Also I don't think dogs are smart enough to feel what you are implying. They are not humans. Stop anthropomorphising animals mate.

All they know is "shock bad, ow, shock happens when bark, bark again, shock, ow, no more bark now"
>>
>>2058181
then you're dealing with separation anxiety and/or fear of confined spaces. the shock collar will likely only worsen your dog's anxiety and make him fear the crate.
>>
Get one. My boyfriends asshole dog was a spoiled cunt. She almost got us kicked out of the apartment we moved into because of her hound dog wailing if we left the house. Police were called multiple times. Shock collar shut her up real quick.

We've moved into a house now. She barks as she should outside, or if a stranger comes to the door. It by no means scared her for life.
>>
>>2058193
>having a hound in an apartment
>getting mad when she vocalizes

fucking morons
>>
>>2058198
Dude it doesn't matter. Not that poster but some dogs just don't shut the fuck up no matter where they are.
>>
File: 1433539849181.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1265) Image search: [Google]
1433539849181.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1265
OP just train your dog. Here, do this a few times a day, for like 5 minutes, for a week-should start showing improvement immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvW5D0J42so

Also check out Kikopup on youtube.

Basically OP, your dog is scared and sad that you are leaving-like a child would be if it's parents left and it didn't understand why, or if they were even coming back.

The shock collar is kind of like putting a bandaid on the problem. Ya, it stops it for a while because the dog becomes AFRAID to bark. That's not a good thing if you want a mentally healthy dog. You want them to learn that you are coming back, and to feel safe and secure while you are gone.

If you raise them with fear, it makes the chances of them snapping much more likely, and over smaller things than usual.
>>
>>2058181
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG-gyJP8op0

There's another one for you OP, it's for crate training, which you might want to start over. He/she sounds like they are uncomfortable in the crate.
>>
I know this sounds completely generic, but tank the dog's energy. Play fetch, a long walk/run, throw hot dogs down the stairs and make him go get them then run back up. Whatever you can do.

A tired dog, is a good dog.
>>
>>2058480
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e0-r5jYy88

This guy is also pretty good, but he doesn't have as many training vids.
>>
>>2058473
Thanks, anon! Until then, where should be sleep? It's unlikely that he'll want to be in his crate after a day of practice.
>>
File: 1442888346217.jpg (57 KB, 567x561) Image search: [Google]
1442888346217.jpg
57 KB, 567x561
>>2058473
Or just put the collar on the dog and enjoy instant quiet and no more stress or pissed off neighbors with management threatening action to be taken against you.
>>
>>2058143
If you need a no bark collar to train your dog, you're probably incompetent. There's much better and easier ways than negative reinforcement, which doesn't really show them what behavior you DO want, so they won't know pleasant alternatives.
>>
>>2058817
Fair enough. So when he barks at night, should I only go out there when he quiets down? Because he'll stop altogether, but I don't want him doing it in the first place. And I don't want it to seem like I'm responding to it at all by exiting my room soon after he barks.
>>
>>2058825
No, he'll only bark more. You have to determine why he's barking to fix the issue. A common mistake is just targeting the barking itself, but this isn't really the issue at all. It's the issue for you, sure, but not your dog. If he wants your attention, you need to handle separation anxiety issues. If it's something else, Google "kikopup barking" on YouTube. I've seen this method work on a lot of other dogs of a variety of breeds, and I really appreciate the way she trains.
>>
>>2058838
Or just give it a bark collar and stop treating it like a human child
>>
>>2058838
I'm working on the separation anxiety issues right now. He's better about me leaving in the afternoon than he is in the morning, so I'm going to practice leaving in the morning more often. I've made a makeshift puzzle toy for him which distracts him while I leave, but he eventually gets bored and crashes on the couch. His SA is not as severe as with most dogs I've known; he eventually stops barking at night after 4-5 minutes. My trainer says that it's something that I have to "wait out"; once he stops barking, I'm supposed to go out and give him a treat.

His SA gets better when he's not in a crate, and I've considered eliminating the crate altogether. However, I have a cat that usually runs around the apartment at night. Fortunately, the dog shows no interest in the cat and I've considered letting him roam around at night, but I've heard horror stories about people coming home to cats that were mauled by their dogs.
>>
>>2058391
yeah, which hounds are known for. hence why it's retarded to keep one in an apartment
>>
>>2058799
>>2058850
>muh corner cutting training
>>
>>2058850
>>2058850
You're not treating it like a human child by training it.

A human child you can talk to. A human child you can reason with and tell them you will be back.

With a dog you can't tell them directly because they do nit understand english, so you have to SHOW them what you want, and teach in ways that they can understand. We made these creatures to work with is, its kind of idiotic not to use that to our advantage. It almost like waiting fifteen minutes every morning for and old toaster oven to warm up, when you have a perfectly good working toaster right there on the same counter but you don't know how to adjust the setting yet. One is a much easier method, safer, and less time consuming in the end, but you use the toaster oven anyway because it's what you're used to even though it takes forever and has more of a potential to burn you.

I wouldn't go so far as to argue that shock collars are inhumane, but they can potentially cause more bad habits in the long run and you miss out on the convenience of having a dog that WANTS to please you just because you were too lazy to spend a few minutes learning a new way of doing something.
>>2058561

Excersise him before bed, lay a blanket down both in the crate, and right next to it in your room. Leave the crate open, and just lock him in your room for the time being.
>>
>>2058480

If puppy barks in crate for ten minutes or so then stops, is that normal? Does that ever completely stop? We're working on it. Thanks for videos.
>>
File: docm350a2015.jpg (37 KB, 232x350) Image search: [Google]
docm350a2015.jpg
37 KB, 232x350
Update! I practiced teaching him to "Go to his bed" during the day, and gave him a stuffed Kong when he got in. He only barked for about 10 seconds tonight after an hour and a half of being in the crate. I don't want to talk too soon, but I think we're making progress. I'm ashamed to have even thought about the shock collar as an option.

Pic related, it's my dog. I know he's part lab, but I'm not sure about the other half.
>>
>>2059068
I'm so happy to hear that anon! And I'm glad the vids helped!
>>
>>2059068
Good job anon! Sounds like things are going well. Your dog is a qt.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.