[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did you study Zoology? If so, what do you work as now
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: WP_000984.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
WP_000984.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
Did you study Zoology?

If so, what do you work as now
>>
>>2057593
>did you study zoology
>where do you work
>zoology
>work
Also underage white girl b8.
>>
>>2057597
yeah, i have a feeling I won't get any answers outside of 'zookeeper'
>>
>>2057598
most people that study zoology probably don't work in a related field. Jobs are scarce and don't pay.

Among my friends I have one that studied biology and works as a high school teacher. Another of my buddies studied herpetology and works in industrial wastewater treatment.
>>
>>2057600
I'm looking to go into it, I have several years worth of animal management related experience with exotic mammals currently but i'm looking to go into conservation. If I wanted to stick to zookeeping, I wouldn't bother with zoology and just stick to animal management qualifications.

Figured I would be at an advantage as I might be able to get into places like wetlands centres whilst studying/for a placement year with my previous experience and then go from there.
>>
working at a job I hate now, thinking of starting studying zoology because if I can't get a job in a field I care about I might as well kill myself, but I'm becoming increasingly worried I'm just going to get into a shit ton of debt and still have to work my shit job.

is there any animal-related field that I should study that actually can provide work?
>>
>>2057623
what country are you in?

i know here(west europe) there are a lot of animal care courses that people look for when hiring over a more academic course like zoology as they give people training and knowledge to look after the animals, as opposed to looking at the animals.

also, if you want paid animal care work, you NEED experience. sometimes several years worth before you get a paid job. start volunteering now.
>>
>>2057628
I'm in the US. I have an associates and am starting for my bachelors this fall but lately I've been having a lot of doubts about it. There is a zoo fairly close to me. You're right, I should look into volunteering now. It's hard because I work full time so I don't have a lot of free time.
>>
>>2057636
what's your associates/bachelors in?

https://www.aza.org/joblistings/

look here to see the types of qualifications asked for in american zoos. i don't know what is available there when it comes to other ways into zoo work outside of a degree in zoology. you'll have to ask around for more specific entry points into zoo work in the usa as i ofc wouldn't know. some zoos will be happy with degrees in say psychology or construction or education, or whatever else, it's just about being useful, applying yourself and having experience to back it up.

if you can get in at the local zoo one day a week, ask around there.
>>
>>2057636

also this site might help

https://www.aazk.org/
>>
>>2057593
I studied marine biology, not zoology, but I figure it's still in the spirit of the question. Now am a dolphin trainer, how cliche. I love it though. For people looking to break into the marine mammal world internships are the way to go. Scuba experience is huge as well in many places. Feel free to ask questions

Also great resource for internships etc imata.org
>>
>>2057593
Undergrad in zoology. Currently in Masters program and starting PhD in fall.

Focus is in evolutionary biology.
>>
>>2057593

Studied zoology.

Work at a supermarket.

Looking at joining the police (dog squad) or eventually getting a job in biosecurity. But jobs are scarce.
>>
I'm studying zoology and I'm bored as shit.
>>
>>2058341
then why are you studying it
>>
File: 1453767789559.jpg (27 KB, 403x355) Image search: [Google]
1453767789559.jpg
27 KB, 403x355
Studying computer science so I can get a fun and good paying job wich also gives me good skills in life, while keeping as a hobby the shit I like ; art, animals, masturbating and appreciating life.

Remember people: the job you have do not dertermines what you will do with your life
>>
>>2058346
>here comes the 'computer science only worthwhile job!' crew
>>
>>2058342
I'm already halfway through and my grades are pretty good
Part of the problem is the University rather than the course in general.
>>
>>2058354
fair enough. can you swap to another uni?
>>
>>2058346
>the job you have do not dertermines what you will do with your life
When it encompasses over half of my waking hours, it kinda does. I do not want to be on my death bed and know that I didn't help a single living thing at my job.
>>
It seems like the US has lots of government jobs for animal biologists but I'm not sure if they're the most pleseant things. I'm studying zoology but my dream job is to work for border patrol or TSA with detection dogs. Most of the time you have to be an officer or something before that, which I don't want to do, so I doubt I'll get my dream job.
>>
>>2058378
>It seems like the US has lots of government jobs for animal biologists but I'm not sure if they're the most pleseant things.

do you mean like animal technician? looking after animals in lab settings? it needs to be done, and it's better that someone who cares for the animals welfare does it

if working with police dogs is anything like here, you need to go in as a normal officer and then apply to the dog departments. they're often over subscribed and hard to get into, but if you have an animal based qualification behind you, may be easier.

plus you can look into focusing on wildlife and animal welfare crime beforehand.
>>
I'm going into biology. I'd love to study mammalogy specifically, but I know I am very, very unlikely to get a related job. So I'm also going to be taking some computer science courses as a backup. If neither biology or web design or whatever I pick are good enough to land me a job that pays more than $14 an hour, I'm just going to work the shit jobs to finance plastic surgery, then give up on my dreams and be a goddamn stripper.

>"mommy, why do you dance for money?"
>"because the minimum wage hasn't kept up with inflation, baby, and mommy doesn't have marketable skills."
>>
>>2058349
nah, the job you love is the job that is worthwhile
>>
>>2058436
if you are decent at bio and good with coding and alla that, bioinformatics pays well or so i've heard
>>
Earning Bs in eco evo. Applying for masters. Want to do research n teach
>>
How difficult do you think it would be to work in conservation

like saving the enviorment/endangered animals

Also what would you need to study in college besides ecology
>>
>>2058665
Literally seen nothing else but forestry or ecology
Maybe sime schools offer resource management?
>>
>>2057593
I am in charge of a youth rehab center, almost like working with animals to be honest. For some reason my country has some weird exchange program with germany and their people get some weird free pass cut ahead of the line deal when it comes to positions so getting a job would almost be impossible.
>>
>>2058382
Well I started out in criminal justice wanting to become a dog handler for TSA or border patrol but I realized most of those positions are filled by officers that used to be in a K9 unit. I believe the TSA has a requirement like 'you have had to work as an officer for x years' while border patrol does not. I'll probably start in zoology, wildlife conservation, or something like that, for the government if possible, and then look more into a border patrol job if one comes up. If I see being an officer is a requirement, maybe I'll be a TSA or border patrol officer for a bit. I absolutely know from my criminal justice courses that being a police officer is shit.
>>
>>2058665
You can study wildlife conservation with ecology in the uk, idk about elsewhere though

otherwise just ecology or zoology, check what modules are available before you apply to the uni
>>
>>2057593
Zoology really is more of a gateway into other fields, if you actually want a well paying job that is.
As people said, "just" zoology isn't going to get you far but studying bio and then going into zoology once you can specialze will (depending on how much your university offers of course) give you a great overview of what you can do.
I started with zoology related stuff and am now in phylogenetics/popgen, for which you need a whole lot of zoology too. Like I said, it's a gateway, you can go in a lot of different directions.
>>
File: 1455005573516.jpg (75 KB, 561x606) Image search: [Google]
1455005573516.jpg
75 KB, 561x606
I'm a sheep farmer? Does that count? Didn't think so
>>
I studied Zoology in the UK. Even did a year in the field for experience, but there are no jobs for anyone who doesn't have a PhD basically so now I work some average admin job ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would like to eventually get a job within animal biology though.
>>
>>2057600
>studied herpetology and works in industrial wastewater treatment
That sounds exactly like me. I wonder how common that pair is...
>>
The field is oversaturated with white girls who don't really have a passion for wildlife of whatever specific kind but really just use it as a personality substitute after never developing any real interests beyond "I kinda like puppies and horses". There already weren't many jobs but now there are even fewer. Your only hopes to work with animals are to pick up a nice hobby or work in some sort of environmental career path where you get to count deformed turtles in a creek all day.
>>
Eh. I would never consider zoology or a relatable biology major. I have a buddy that is a biologist and he works at a primate research facility making $14 an hour. I make more working at a call center and don't have any student loans to pay back. I feel bad for most of the graduates out there. Its hard to get a job in a field you will enjoy these days and actually get paid for it.
>>
>>2059498
I've been told that if you want to do anything related to zoology, you need a masters at absolute minimum, so I'm not surprised to hear this.

I guess zookeeping is the only thing that doesn't require a masters, and probably why so many people get into that instead - but even then you're against people who studied animal management.
>>
>>2059538
Probably more common than a herpetologist working in herpetology.
>>
I always wanted to study biology. Ended up studying for a master in nurse anaesthesia. Figured it'd at least give me a job. I was right. Study something else.
>>
Nah, gonna study something I enjoy. I already have 5 years paid experience with captive wild animals, having a degree will just make me more employable as most of these jobs require 3+ years of experience with different taxon along with a degree.
>>
>>2057593
Getting a BS in zoology is useless. You need to get a doctorate to do anything besides shovel shit somewhere.
>>
>>2058362
I could If I hadn't been an idiot and revised for my A levels. If I get a 1st/2:1 then I could do a masters at a better uni.
>>
>>2060324
where you at, if you dont mind me asking?
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.