[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we discuss the current state of BBC Natural History Wildlife
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
Can we discuss the current state of BBC Natural History Wildlife Documentaries?

What's good? What's not? Your favorites? Has the quality declined in your opinion?

dicuss
>>
bump

Watching Life Story 2014 currently, and its pretty great. All about the life span of animals, from birth through to death.
>>
>>2057638
Watched the blu rays of Planet Earth the other week. No exaggeration, I was almost moved to tears at some of the scenes. Absolutely amazing program.

I love all attenborough documentaries. I honestly can't think of who could inspire me or others in such a way once he is unable to continue narration, though I think Benedict Cumberbatch did a good job on a couple of documentaries.
>>
>>2057647
agreed. i read a while ago that brian cox is being suggested as a front runner. He is so boring and dry and wet
>>
>>2057647
>>2057650

Also the fact that he's a real naturalist and probably the most influent documentarist in history instead of just a voice actor.
There is no frontrunner for that.
>>
>>2057854
What about Richard Dawkins?
>>
The Hunt, which was on at the end of last year, was really good.

Now, I watch these things no matter what animal is featured, but watching The Hunt it did make me smile how they would fit in the animals most people would think of as 'boring' in and around the large apex predators. Like going from a bit about wolves to a bit about ants.

I suppose people wouldn't stick around if they opened with ants.

The last episode about the conservation efforts and human impact world wide was really good too. Now I need to go watch the last two episodes of The Great Barrier Reef.
>>
>>2057647
>Benedict Cumberbatch did a good job on a couple of documentaries.
I didn't realise he did any. What sort?

>>2057650
>brian cox
He's okay, but I'd rather he stick to the physics kinda ones.

No idea who could take over for the natural sciences ones though. Who has the passion and interest in the natural world and conservation, whilst being articulate and having the presence of someone like Attenborough?
>>
>>2060087
>prototype of fedorafag
>doesn't really do much biology anymore

Richard Dawkins is a huge faggot. At least the selfish gene theory is pretty good.
>>
>>2061620
It's one of my favorite books.

Honestly I wish he hadn't gone on his anti-religion drive. God Delusion is just a babby's first atheism book, and probably his worst work.

But I can also see that he probably thought it was necessary for you Americans, how you can't seem to be able to separate religion from state and all that shit. For a nordic guy like me it seems just silly.
>>
>>2060109
Those army ants were fucking baller tho
>>
>>2057513
Life in Cold Blood is my favourite just because I love reptiles. Life in the Undergrowth is also pretty good. Both of them show more unique animals and their behaviour that don't tend to be in the bigger series.

>>2057647
>Benedict Cumberbatch

Maybe if you like penwings. :^)
>>
I loved The Life of Birds. But I love birbs so that's pretty obvious. Can anyone else recommend some good, serious bird documentaries?
>>
>>2057513
First Life was pretty dank. I just wish they made more episodes.
>>
>>2057513
>his voice will melt into silence forever, soon in my lifetime
this is pain
>>
I loved the Blue Planet, Frozen Planet and Africa. All his stuff is great though.
>>
>>2063934
Oh god don't
>>
File: 1408914597011.jpg (29 KB, 460x287) Image search: [Google]
1408914597011.jpg
29 KB, 460x287
>British documentary
>Here, in the jungles of Bhata-Tuthu, the praying mantis is in search of its prey
>3 minutes of very clean and uninterrupted footage of the pray mantgis following a spider

>american documentary
>guitar riff playing in the background
>YOU PROBABLY WOULDN'T WANT ONE OF THESE KILLERS IN YOUR BACK YARD
>Rapid jump cuts of the praying mantis
THE PRAYING MANTIS MIGHT LOOK LIKE A BUG IN CHURCH, BUT THIS NASTY MOTHER-SUCKER IS NOT TO BE MESSED WITH
>more flashy jump cuts
>THIS LITTLE SPIDER DOESNT KNOW WHATS WAITING FOR HIM, THE FURY OF THE MANTIS IS NOT TO BE UNDERESTIMATED
>more flashy jump cuts
>the mantis strikes
>strange animal growling and screeching noises are dubbed in as it attacks because silent footage is too boring for americans
>slow mo replay of the attack in black and white
>AND IT'S OVER IN A FLASH
>THAT LITTLE SPIDER
>SHOULD'VE PRAYED
>TO THE MANTIS
>Starwipe to the next clip
>>
>>2064002
this is so accurate it hurts.
>>
File: roybatty.gif (495 KB, 500x223) Image search: [Google]
roybatty.gif
495 KB, 500x223
>>2063934
No. Stop.
>tfw you can hear his voice aging
>tfw his brother is already dead
>>
>>2060087
Richard Dawkins a shit
>>
>>2064002
I actually remember watching an american documentary about the mantis with growling and chewing sounds. What the fuck, Burgerstan
>>
>>2064027
I've watched his documentaries since I was a little kid. Hold me, anon.
>>
>>2063921
Earthflight is pretty good. More focused on awesome images than information though, compared to Life of Birds at least.
>>
>>2057647
>I was almost moved to tears at some of the scenes.

Me too man. I don't remember what documentary of his was, but I almost cried during a whales scene. The music was beatiful and the narration was atmospheric.
>>
>>2064002

thanks for the laugh anon
>>
>>2057647
>David Attenborough will almost certainly be dead within 2-3 years
>will never get a chance to meet him
>the one person out of anyone I want to meet

feels bad man.

Truly a legend. Blue Planet is the best doc ever made.
>>
>>2060109
The Hunt is good but it pales in comparison with Planet Earth or Africa, even if some particular shots are really good. i didn't like the split episode format between actual documentary and how it was filmed, even if some of the techniques behind it were impressive. at most they should be 10 minutes each episode dedicated to behind the scenes, or maybe after the credits.

and i fucking hated that last episode you talk about, which wasn't about nature at all
>>
>>2057513
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASJvktzfQ4g
he was also in a Nature special recently about giant sauropod skeletons
>>
File: p0105q1v.jpg (75 KB, 976x549) Image search: [Google]
p0105q1v.jpg
75 KB, 976x549
>>2057513
Life on Earth (1979) is astonishingly good for being so old. Lots of excellent footage, especially impressed by all the microscopic scenes.

Plus the good sir looked dashing in bellbottoms. Lol
>>
>>2067821
Is that where he dressed up in a gorilla costume?
>>
I've watched them all but the episode on Frozen Planet where the wolf is trying to take down the young bison... holy fuckaroo... it's a fight to the death for both of them, it was absolutely enthralling and incredible footage. I almost cried at that scene
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.