[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
holy shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Here's something interesting
I have a 12x12x12 cube
I just made it like 2 months ago
I got a few snails in there. And some beetles I "made"
(From a few super worms to go through the whole stage)
The snails have been with me a while. The beetles are recent. It's awesome

I wanted to know when should I recycle the dirt? I use dirt from Walmart
But I feel like I shouldn't? Cause natures dirt kind of stays in one place right?
But I feel I should because if you look in pic related in the right bottom corner
There was a super worm that burrowed there. Since I got that ant farm view I can see everything. When I pour water in the aquarium for the dirt I see it swelled up the super worm who I guess drowned there. So now the guy is rotting. And there's these little white spec bugs in the hundreds in my tank. eating on him and at the surface

What are they?
What will they turn into?

What do I do about the dirt?
>>
File: image.jpg (855 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
855 KB, 3264x2448
Closer to view of maggots?
Am I looking at an army of fuckers that are gonna piss off my beetles and snails?
I got another aquarium I plan on putting them in and then put this one out in the cold and just let this infestation die

I feel like I'm gonna get shat on for not knowing how to take care of a simple vivarium
>>
Put a layer of pebbles underneath the soil to prevent this next time. As for now, I'd just watch what happens.

I always just used dirt from outside.
Those little bugs look like springtails, they are no problem. They won't turn into anything but keep your place clean. Like woodlice.

Did you remember to put in a chalk source for your snails? Nice capaea you got there.
What kind of bugs are these?
>>
Dude, that's fucking gross. You've got a box of mud and pests, clean that shit out.
>>
>>2056245
Alright. If I do am I gonna get some spore bullshit infection?
>>
>>2056243
I just figured I would try to have some kind of foresty shit
Garden snail
And yeah I put in some egg shells sometimes but that shit rots fast

And springtails yeah looks like it. But it's a shitload

Do I need to watch out for some fungi/spore infection if I clean it out?

I kind of want to wait and see but put it outside and not keep it in my house.
Whatever happens I would be really distraught if my snails got fucked.
Those are the most important.
>>
>>2056246
Why would you? It's more unhygenic to have a worm rotting in your wet substrate than it is to change the substrate. And nature's dirt doesn't "stay in one place" because outside soil gets flushed out with rain and drains which your tank does not.
>>
>>2056246
No. It's just a rotting larvae and you don't even have to touch it. Use a spoon or small shovel.

If you want to reduce the population of springtails, keep the place more dry.
>>
>>2056249
Try sepia or chalkmush, it's easy to handle.

>Do I need to watch out for some fungi/spore infection if I clean it out?
It's way to little to be harmful but it might stink. Just put the entire container outside, hold your breath, dig it out and throw it away.
>>
>>2056237
Those are termites of some kind, not maggots.
>>
>>2056237
These are certainly springtails. These are considered very desirable in a natural setup and will eat detritus.

You need to make two changes to your setup, OP. You need a drainage layer of hydroponic balls or volcanic rock, separate from the soil layer with a sheet of weed barrier. This will prevent the soil from becoming waterlogged and your superworms will stop drowning. Constantly wet soil isn't good for anything, so make sure you make this change.

Second, you need substantially more dead leaves on the top layer. Everything likes dead leaves, so a 1/2 inch layer on top will make all your inhabitants happy. Be prepared to replace these every 1-2 months.
>>
>>2056235

You need drainage and you need live plants.

Outside, the water drains deep down into the soil. In your glass tank it gets stuckand nothing is using the water. In fact, never water it again. Just mist the shit out of the top layer.
>>
>>2056235

You also need good ventilation to prevent excessive amounts of fungus and shit.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.