[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, I just adopted my first dog and I don't have a clue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: DSC_0405~2~2.jpg (140 KB, 832x943) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0405~2~2.jpg
140 KB, 832x943
Hello, I just adopted my first dog and I don't have a clue of what breed he is. (he has approximadly 11 weeks).

Anyone has any idea of how much can he grow?

Pic very much related.

Thanks for the attention.
>>
>>2054331
It's a brown recluse
>>
>>2054331
You won't be able to accurately guess breed mixes until he is fully grown. If he's lanky and his paws are big for his body, he will grow and fill out. He's adorable, though. Good luck!
>>
>>2054331
Looks like a shepard of sorts. Good dog mutts are the best.
>>
>>2054331
It's really hard to tell in small pups like himm, but you can get an idea of what they might have in them from their hair to color patterns to skeletal structure. Does he have a purple or any discoloration on his tongue?
>>
>>2054331

The first thing to come to mind is mastiff or saint bernard (going off the muzzle). It is so, so hard to tell what a puppy mix is. A pure bread is much easier.

I recommend watching the paws. If those paws are consistently too big for its body after 3 months or so ... well, you're gonna need a bigger kennel.
>>
File: zq9oOZP[1].jpg (323 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
zq9oOZP[1].jpg
323 KB, 1200x900
Looks like a Jug mix
(Jack Russell x Pug)
>>
File: 1452096154435.jpg (283 KB, 1280x1350) Image search: [Google]
1452096154435.jpg
283 KB, 1280x1350
>>2054331

Just use a Wisdom Panel. They're roughly 90% accurate, and only $60. It's fun if nothing else. Here's snippets from one of my dogs that was supposed to be a purebred great pyrenees (this is why you background check your breeder). Turned out to have some jindo/toy poodle in the mix.
>>
Looks like a belgian malinois mix
>>
Hey guys. I didn't think I needed to start a new thread so I'll just comment here. . My girlfriend just bought a puppy, an Australian Shepherd, 8 weeks old. Her dad didn't want her to and sure enough when she brought it home he said no. She gave it to me. What the fuck do I do with a puppy? I've never owned a dog before. I went out and bought him food, bowls, blankets, puppy pads, toys. But what the hell do I do with it? When I go to play with him he just hides from me and then shits everywhere. He's cute as a button though so I want to keep him. I'm just clueless as fuck. Help
>>
File: IMAG0526.jpg (3 MB, 5376x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0526.jpg
3 MB, 5376x3024
Gonna piggy back and ask the same. They said Beagle mix but I feel like his longer legs mean he'll be a little taller. What do you guys think? 14 weeks old and he's about 10lbs.
>>
>>2054811

There are two very, very distinct dogs there. The 2 coats you see are unmistakable.
>>
>>2054331
That's the prupper breed
>>
File: IMAG0494.jpg (3 MB, 5376x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0494.jpg
3 MB, 5376x3024
>>2054829

So i feel like the speckles are blue tick coonhound but I'm not a dog breed expert. We're in VA but I'm not sure where they got the mother from, probably some shelter down south. The mother looks like a beagle, mostly, with white and light brown.

But he looks much narrower, not all roly poly like beagle pups can be. And his snout is longer, I think.
>>
>>2054847

Unrelated, but that gate in the background? Some of the best fucking money you will ever spend on the dog.

For our next puppy, regardless of all else, there are 2 things I will not raise him without - a 16'x36" playpen that can double as a gate/barrier, and a large covered kennel with an adjustable barrier in the middle so you can make it bigger or smaller on the inside. Puppies should come with these things standard.
>>
>>2054940

Oh yea, it's important to have a pig pen for relaxing in and a crate for bedtime. He's currently barking his head off in the crate but he's getting a little better about anxiety. The one we bought has a divider which is great.

Luckily we have a small room off our living room with laminate and one doorway. The gate we got is tall and unclimbable with a really nice latching door, and even has a cat door in case you want to allow them through. It bolts to the wall also. It was like 100$ at petco, definitely worth paying more for quality with gates.

Tomorrow we're going to play "crates are fun, no really" until he gets used to the idea. He's a good learner but unfortunately he learns some things too well. He already learned to run up and sit when I have treats, which is good I guess. Teaching him to lay down was disastrous. I made him sit then put my hand on the ground with the treat, and he'd slide his paws forward into a laying position and I'd reward him. So now he thinks "down" means "slam your claws into my hand".
>>
>>2055029
This might help you a lot. You can start at the beginning, but Zak does a bit of shilling in order to do these vids for free.

https://youtu.be/FG-gyJP8op0?t=2m52s
>>
>>2055029

This is hilarious. I have a Pyrenees that figured out that "sit" thing real fast. Then he learned "lay" which he does by tossing his front half onto the ground like he's trying to put a crater there. Every time. And now when we get treats, he drops like a drill sergeant told him to before we even give the command/motion. It actually makes it hard to do followup training for sit because he just skips it and goes straight to laying down. Oh well.

The crate thing we just sort of forced on our girl. Her first week home was a lot of crying (as expected). Our playpen attaches to the kennel (same brand) so that her kennel was always open and she had a fenced in play area just outside. This was fine. She had 4 weeks to go in and out of the kennel on her own terms. She slept in it on her own. And things just fell in place from there. At 12 weeks, we started closing the door at night and she had no problem with that. Now she is 9 months old and will walk into her "house" (kennel) between 9 and 10pm, as is routine. We still close the door for peace of mind. But she's good about it. She has never spent a night outside of it and doesn't care.

The play pen is a "MidWest Exercise Pen" if you wanted to look. It's on Amazon. We use the 30" one, same height as the kennel. ("MidWest iCrate Double-Door Folding Metal Dog Crate, 48 Inches by 30 Inches by 33 Inches ")
>>
>>2054616
Try to form a bond offer hom plenty of treats and all that. Its gonna take time but try to show him youre a cool guy
>>
Why would you lock your dog in a cage at night? What the fuck?
>>
>>2054616
you are going to need to learn to potty train him, and probably the best thing is to take an obedient class. Those are good for both the dog and new owners.

Just read up what you can about raising and training dogs. Puppies take a lot of energy and a lot of patience.
>>
>>2055267
Zzzzz
>>
>>2054811
Looks like he's mixed with a blue heeler.
>>
>>2055267
>Why would you lock your dog in a cage at night? What the fuck?

Most dogs are not ready to handle having the run of the entire house unsupervised until they're over 8 months old.

Also, you know dogs won't soil their kennel, so you don't have to jump up at 8am on a Saturday to run them outside. You can sleep a bit later and not have that nagging worry that they might go in the house.

You also don't have to worry about them tearing up your shit while you're asleep. I don't care how old your dog is, or well trained they are, they ALL dogs still do dumb shit and break the rules every now and then.

It's simply peace of mind. And they're asleep, so what it does matter? It's not like they don't have beds in there, and the enclosure gives a sense of security that they appreciate (like a cave).

Only hippies think using kennels is a problem. Stop trying to treat pets like humans.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.