[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Garlic & Onions in Dog/Cat food
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 1448057611478.webm (3 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1448057611478.webm
3 MB, 720x480
So, I take care of pets for other people. The owners are the ones who buy whatever food it is they think the animal needs. Any health issues are paid for and done by vets. Vet checkups are once a month.

So, one client has 3 dogs. He doesn't buy the canned dog food (Gravy Train brand only) regularly enough, so I call him and ask if I may feed her dogs some of the extra cans of cat food. He agrees. 3 days later, the dogs are still on the diet of canned cat food:

They have improved mobility. The want to play constantly. They run around like loons and bark at everything. This is a stark difference from before the food change. It should be noted that the dogs barely ate any of their original canned dog food. They licked the bowls clean when fed the cat food. Both types were mixed with dry dog food.

The owner bought more canned dog food. The dogs barely eat it and want to sleep all the time. I checked the ingredients of all the foods and only the canned dog food the client was buying had both garlic and onions in them.

So, I googled, "garlic onion pets". All properly cited resources say never to feed cats or dogs garlic or onions. All pro-garlic/onion information is all un-cited and mostly attributing human garlic/onion benefits to pets, which sounds like bollocks to me.

I informed the owner and he bought canned dog food that doesn't have garlic and onions in it and everything is fine now.

I know this is all anecdotal, but what does /an/ think about this supposed controversy over feeding cats/dogs food with garlic/onion in it?
>>
>>2053635
>feed his dogs

fixed

I need sleep apparently.
>>
There is a list of foods you should not feed your cat or dog due to the way their bodies handle certain chemicals in said food. If you can just as easily not feed your animals those foods, there's no point in making a fuss over it and just not feed those foods.
>>
Dude anything tats spicy should never ever be fed to dogs. Their gastrointestinal tract is very sensitive, and they can develop gastritis or enteritis very easily. And fixing that is a major problem.
>>
>>2053649
But, why would companies add it to the pet food they sell?
>>
>>2053661
Marketing to the people that would by it and not putting the animals first. They haven't done research on the ingredients in their food, or have and don't care because they are targeting a certain group of people.
>>
>>2053661
onion and garlic is a cheap filler and makes things tastier.

even if they're not supposed to eat it, dogs like the taste. my dog follows me around all the time when I cut up onions. he tries to lick the cutting board when I put it in the dishwasher.

companies make dog food cheap with toxic but tasty fillers > dog wolfs down the food > owners sees dog likes the food > owner buys more food > companies make a big profit
>>
>>2053635
In low levels they are ok. I always thought the same when looking at the ingredients and seeing those two. That said , I still won't feed that to my dogs
>>
>>2053847
>In low levels they are ok

No, it isn't.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.