[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fishtank question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
File: hoplo.jpg (10 KB, 236x236) Image search: [Google]
hoplo.jpg
10 KB, 236x236
Hey /an/

I'm in the process of being kicked out because I'm gay by my mother. I have a large apple snail and a hoplo (10cm long) in a 54 liter (14 gallon) tank. I'd hate to leave them behind because I'm sure she wouldn't take care of them and she'd let them die. My plans currently are to move in with my faternal aunt, but the tank is too heavy to move, obviously, even drained, and I'm not even sure she'll even take me, let alone me and a fucking aquarium. So yeah...

Anyway, what's the bare minimum a hoplo and an apple snail needs in order to survive? I can probably get a large bucket maybe a plastic basin, and I'll take the heater and internal filter with me, but i'm worried it's just not enough. Can anyone give me some advice? How long would they be able to survive in a place like that?
>>
Why is a drained 14 gallon too heavy to move? I moved a 20 gal when I was a 100 lbs pregnant bitch. If I could do it, any healthy adult with working limbs can.

Her letting you take it is an issue, but c'mon, you can move that tank.
>>
>>2052732
>Why is a drained 14 gallon too heavy to move?
this one is. I don't have a car or anything to move with anon. it's just me, one or two luggages, a backpack, and a laptop. She'll be home by 10-11AM, I will barely have time to pack my shit up and gtfo before then. And like I mentioned, I'm not even sure my aunt will take me. I'll just show up at her door tomorow unannounced, it's entirely possible she'll say she won't take me in.
>>
>>2052728
Maybe stop being gay anon...for the snails
>>
>>2052733
In this case I think that you should give away your fish and snails.
I know it's ugly, but in your current condition you can't take care on an aquarium.
>>
>>2052748
even if I could stop being gay, I'd still be living with an abusive asshole. I must leave, anon.
>>
>>2052753
of*
>>
>>2052728
Go to straight camp. You'll be out of there for a bit at least. Just give them away. They'll go quick. Also there's an aquarium general.
>>
>>2052754
How old are you? Do you have a job?
>>
>>2052753
I was thinking about giving them back to the shop where they came from over a year ago, but I'd need to travel an hour via bus. It's doable, but money is tight.
>>2052765
22, no I don't. I have to finish my thesis then I'm done with college.
>>
>>2052766
Anon women studies or a psychology major will not get you anywhere for a very very very long time. You're fucked dude.
>>
>>2052728

>I have a large apple snail and a hoplo (10cm long) in a 54 liter (14 gallon) tank. I'd hate to leave them behind because I'm sure she wouldn't take care of them and she'd let them die. My plans currently are to move in with my faternal aunt, but the tank is too heavy to move, obviously, even drained,

>14 gallon tank

>too heavy to move while empty

Homeboy unless you're completely paralyzed or a double arm amputee you should be able to move a 14 gallon empty tank.
>>
>>2052766
Well if I were you I would get a job ASAP before your possibly homeless without clean clothes. It'll will be a billion times harder to get a job if things turn for the worse, and hope you make it through alright. Sorry your moms an unaccepting cunt.
>>
>>2052801
Read the fucking thread dipshit, OP is WALKING to his new home, and carrying literally everything he owns with him. And even then his relatives might not take him in.
>>
>>2052810

Solution: Make two trips.
>>
>>2052813

also, CALL the relatives first and ask.
>>
>>2052815
anyone would be much more likely to say no over the phone then turn their own flesh and blood away from the door
>>
>>2052754
Can't you just lie for a while until you organized a new place and help? Tell them you're sorry and you'll try to change it or something.

To take the risk ending up under a bridge with a fishtank isn't wise.
>>
>>2052819

>anyone would be much more likely to say no over the phone then turn their own flesh and blood away from the door

If they'd say no over the phone then they don't want you there and if you show up at the door unannounced because you know they'd say no if you asked over the phone, you're engaging in emotional blackmail, essentially.
>>
>>2052854
He doesn't know they'd say no, he just says he's unsure. Regardless, I'd rather do that then sleep on the streets.
>>
>>2052815
>>2052819
I've been thinking a lot about that actually, whether to call first or not. I think I will, just to check whether my aunt is home and awake though, I won't ask the big question through it.
>turn their own flesh and blood away from the door
yeah, that's kinda my issue. I'm adopted. Technically I'm anything but my aunt's flesh and blood. I think that's why my mother is so eager to kick me out in part. She never loved me as much as my father.
While he was still alive, he told me I'd always have a place to call home. But he died last year, and she inherited the house. I knew that this day might come eventually, when I'll have to move, because he's no longer around. I just never expected it to be this...soon. Or for it to be this scary.
>>
>>2052983
just how long do you plan to be staying with your aunt?

ill be pretty pissed if not only i had to house you for an indefinite amount of time, but youre lugging an aquarium with you as well.
>>
>>2052728
Jeez just read the thread. I'm sorry I hope you and the snails find a good home. Karma is gonna be a bitch to your mother. Good luck in school.
>>
>gaybro
>fishbro

Are you a bear? You can come live with me.
>>
>>2052728
I don't have any advice except what anons have said. Leave the pets behind and if you get a place go back for them.

they'll live longer in their tank than anything you can do. They may die. It's not your greatest concern at the moment.

Good luck, I'm sorry this is happening to you. I survived something similar, but I did end up being homeless for a few months. It'll work out.
>>
>>2052983
Sorry to hear about your father, that blows man. I would still show up unannounced though, I wouldn't call beforehand if that's what your planning though, otherwise it seems more forced, as opposed to just showing up at their door. Are there no friends that you can stay with anywhere?
>>
>>2052983
Please make a gofundme page or something similar and post it. I'd like to donate.
>>
>>2053030
>It's not your greatest concern at the moment
Responsibility comes before comfort.
>>
>>2053076
Bring responsible towards himself comes before fish
>>
>>2053077

I thought part of being a responsible pet owner meant putting the animals before you, and if you're not prepared to do that you shouldn't have adopted them to begin with?
>>
>>2052985
A couple of months maybe. Just until I get my degree from college. Hopefully I'll be able to find a job too. I speak English well, I think. That could be an asset.
>>2053022
>Are you a bear?
Sorry, nope. Also I kinda live in eastern europe, not the US.
>>2053069
Oh no, I couldn't possibly accept anything like that! I appreciate the offer, really, but I feel humiliated to ask for help from my own aunt, I just can't accept money from people I don't know, you understand.
>>2053061
> Are there no friends that you can stay with anywhere?
I have an ex-best friend with her own house. But she has a fiancé, so I'd feel out of place there. As a last resort I'll go there, but I'm hoping my aunt will take me.

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys, I'm heading to bed now. Hopefully tomorrow everything will turn out okay.
>>
>>2053092
that's because you're a child.
there will come a time to grow up.
OP has hit that time.
>>
>>2053102

So "growing up" means that the animals you adopted were actually toys all along?

I'm glad I'm against petkeeping to be honest. The more I lurk this board the more I realize how shitty it is.
>>
>>2052733
Just how poor are you that you can't afford a transport service?
>>
>>2053100
Well have a good night anon, I truly wish you the best. Godspeed
>>
>>2053069
Anon he's gay he'd only use it on ecstasy and Molly's because all he wants to do is go to gay clubs and party. That's all gay people do. He also stated he is in WOMENS STUDIES
>>
>>2053107
>So "growing up" means blah blah blah

no, it means making hard choices.
choices you don't understand because others have always made them for you.
>>
>>2052983
Your story is strikingly similar to my ex boyfriend's, only both of his adoptive parents died and he was left with a step-mother that hated him. You have my sympathy.
>>
>>2053249
>instead of giving attention to OP, why don't you give attention to ME!!!
>>
>>2053459
Shut up faggot enabler
>>
>>2053253

>no, it means making hard choices.

And that's why people shouldn't keep pets. Because sometimes the "hard choice" means abandoning the animal you took in.

I'll remember this next time a "pet person" brings up "responsible pet ownership". There's pretty much no such thing. Deep down, 99% of people see their pets are accessories or toys, and if you think otherwise, you're just a "widdle babby" who needs to "grow up".

This is why I don't support the pet industry.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.