[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people say cats are smart? I seriously don't understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Image1.jpg (38 KB, 499x329) Image search: [Google]
Image1.jpg
38 KB, 499x329
Why do people say cats are smart? I seriously don't understand this. You ask "What do they do that's smart?" and cat people say "Oh, they don't do anything because they don't care about you." That is a lie cat people tell themselves, while at the same time insisting their cats love them.

What about for the cat's own benefit? Do they always go to a quiet room to scratch the furniture sneakily, or just start tearing up whatever couch right in front of you? Will they try to get the leftover chicken off the counter, or sit next to you your dinner plate for half an hour while you eat instead? Will they ever make a 2-step decision, like heading outside - stop - go get a toy from another room - then continue to take it with them outside?

I can't say I've ever seen cats make an intelligent choice. They have sharp instincts and are wonderful hunters, but none of that has to do with intelligence.
>>
My cat does all of these apart from the toy one because she doesn't have any toys
>>
>>2052711

coincidence or intelligence? a dog will do those things with 100% consistency and undeniable intent. maybe your cat just likes a certain couch or is allowed on the kitchen counters so they don't know they're being sneaky (in which case you're the type of person I never want to visit).
>>
>>2052709
Cat's are not smart, but they can make a 2-step decision that doesn't only profit them.

The same night that my cat snowbell was dying he wouldn't stop meowing until he was in bed with my mom.
I never really bothered with checking out what the fatass had, but he couldn't move at that point so I just carried him to her and he shut up.
Yes, he was still quite alive when I dropped him off, and he was dead by morning. I'd say that is affection. I'm pretty sure that's a 2 step act of affection. Nothing smart tho.

When we went to walk our dog he would walk alongside us. That was probably the coolest thing about him.. I guess. I mean the dead mice at the washing machine were cool.
>>
>>2052740
that don't only* .. ech
>>
>>2052723
My fiance cat does all that stuff, sits underneath you when we're eating, it has to be something he think smells good, which is usually chicken.
He'll also hop on the counter if he thinks I'm not watch but sometimes he does it blatantly.
Unfortunately lately he's been going out the doggy door and when he sees me come home or go outside, he'll run inside and try to act like he was there the whole time. I'm trying to keep him inside.
My fiance also taught him multiple tricks, he's basically a dog. He can high five, shake, beg, and roll over.
>>
I think generally cats are not as smart as most dogs, but there are examples of cat breeds that can learn tricks, so those breeds at least could be considered smart.
>>
>>2052830
as a dog person, i literally do not know anything about cat breeds.Other than the ones that look like tiny sheep or ball sacks, all cats look same to me.Does it really matter what a cats breed is or all they all literally the same but the owners keep reminding people that they are from ''x'' breed much like americans and being %0.2 native american or something?
>>
I don't really know a lot about cat breeds, but as far as I know cat breed are sort of like lap dog breeds. They aren't bred for functionallity, but for looks and personnality.
>>
>>2052709
>Do they always go to a quiet room to scratch the furniture sneakily, or just start tearing up whatever couch right in front of you?
My cats used to do the second, but they stopped after we started to ignore it. It seems they just had fun making us jump and shout.

>Will they try to get the leftover chicken off the counter, or sit next to you your dinner plate for half an hour while you eat instead?
They'll usually pass up a moment the food is unwatched.

Will they ever make a 2-step decision, like heading outside - stop - go get a toy from another room - then continue to take it with them outside?
I don't really know.

They learn a lot of tricks and can understand some words but at least my cats couldn't solve the test where you put a treat in a place they can't reach but onto a towel or a thread so they could pull it out.

I think they are good at learning things (if you manage to motivate them) but really bad at thinking outside the box and how to solve problems in roundabout ways nobody showed them before.
>>
>>2052855
Yes cat breeds matter and different breeds can be vastly different. It is a similar situation to dog breeds except not as extreme.
There are cats breeds that are less cat than others.
Most cats you will meet are mogs and even the ones claimed to be pure bred are mogs. There is not the same interest in cat breeds as there is for dogs.
I prefer my mog cat over a special snowflake that is harder to manage.
>>
>>2052855
The main difference is that cat people who care about breed are fucking insufferable

Dog people who bandwagon meme breeds can be the same way, but cat people just take it to 11 with their Bengals and shit
>>
It depends on the cat, cats are not intelligent as dogs but intelligent in their own way. For they need to do to survive cats are far from stupid.

>>2052709
>Do they always go to a quiet room to scratch the furniture sneakily, or just start tearing up whatever couch right in front of you?
No they have a scratching post

>>2052709
>Will they try to get the leftover chicken off the counter, or sit next to you your dinner plate for half an hour while you eat instead?
No they only eat from a bowl or plate on the floor I give them

>>2052709
>Will they ever make a 2-step decision, like heading outside - stop - go get a toy from another room - then continue to take it with them outside?
Yes, I had a cat who favored the lids of a milk carton, he would pick them up and take them everywhere.

But yeah it depends on the cat, I have a had who was dumb as a bag of hammers, scratched my furniture and burned itself stealing fish from a frying pan.

But here some advice for you OP, as a person who loves cat, cat people are generally retarded because people like to anthropomorphism things to make them feel better.
I appreciate cats for what they are, cats.
They don't love me as a dog would but they trust me more than other living creature including other cats which is significant since a cats trust is hard to gain and easy to lose which is why most people think they are heartless or manipulative.
Often my cats will wake up, snuggle with me for five minutes then go back to their spot for another snooze.

Though I have always hated comparing cats and dogs, they are very different species and just are common domestic breeds.
It is like /v/'s console faggotry.
My cats love my dog though, always head bunting and cuddling with a larger predator who may kill them for no reason.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.