[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Puppy separated from family
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: Screenshot_2015-12-06-20-27-21.png (219 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-06-20-27-21.png
219 KB, 720x1280
There's a 4 week old puppy at the shelter and I was thinking of adopting him after they adopt him out at 8 weeks.
It's a gsd.
However I read it's at that period (4-8 weeks)that puppies learn not to bite too hard and stuff, so I got a bit worried.
Will the dog be a shit if it's separated from mom and siblings at 4 weeks of age
>>
Is the puppy eating puppy food yet?
>>
>>2051460
Yes
>>
What is the rescue doing to ensure he's properly socialized? I know reputable breeders try and transplant orphans into another breeder's litter, and they always use socialization plans such as: http://www.echowyn.com/Ruleof7.html

Even in a rescue situation I would be wary of a foster who cuts corners on socialization.
>>
>>2051482
If he's weened off of his mom he should be fine. Puppies will bite regardless, you have to train them not to. He may be attached to you, so you'll have to teach him to be confident in himself. Otherwise go from the shelter straight to the vet. Chances are they haven't vaccinated him all the way. Bordetella, and parvo vaccines are a must. Plus gotta make sure he doesn't have intestinal parasites.
>>
>>2051559
Nothing
>>
>>2050982

This is a big deal. I am sitting here with a 9 month old Great Pyrenees licking the couch next to me. We took in this dog at 4 weeks old because its mother died. Never, ever again. She is STILL biting us. Not like bite-bite, not hard enough to break skin, but she snaps at us constantly. It's not aggression, more like an immediate defensive instinct without realizing who we are. Every time we reach out to pet her, or reach for her color, it's the same shit.

I did all her training at home with 8 weeks professional + organized socialization gatherings outside the house. She is smart as all hell and very obedient, but still snaps at my wife. My poor wife ... this dog will attach her hands every chance it gets. No reason. Just thinks hands are toys.

She had other issues that we've trained out of her. But that fucking biting will not stop. She is very insecure as well, and that comes out as stubborn and untrusting. Trying to being a leader for a dog that doesn't want to be lead because it's too scared to trust is a huge problem in every aspect of life with the dog. You can't do shit with them unless they allow themselves to be governed.
>>
>>2053552
Have you taken your dog to a behaviorist? Perhaps they will have a different traning method? Sometimes that helps.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.