[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys! So, I just adopted a lil bunny. Everything was fine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
Hey guys! So, I just adopted a lil bunny.
Everything was fine til yesterday, whe I started to notice that his poop started to look "fresh" (He used to shit "dry", you know what I'm sayin?) and some of them have a weird kind of mucosity.

I read that it may be caused by his diet, but I'm really worried about him having some kind of parasite or illness.

Pic related, it's him.

Thanks!!
>>
>>2050469
Also, this phot was taken a few days ago. Know he only eats hay and a little bit of pellets.
>>
>>2050469
.......do you not even know the first thing about rabbit digestion?
Your rabbit's turds are perfectly normal.
>>
>>2050469
Rabbits have these special turds. They're soft and look like little turd blackberries. Perfectly normal. The dry ones are like cocoa puffs.

Sorry if you can't eat either one of those foods anymore.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

Please get to a vet and learn more about rabbit care! Cause >>2050487 is right.
>>
>>2050492
No, It's not the kind of shit they eat, I googled it.

The shit in the pic is kind of dry, but you can see the mucosity in the paper.
>>
File: Bun Guts.jpg (275 KB, 1117x801) Image search: [Google]
Bun Guts.jpg
275 KB, 1117x801
>>2050487
Now for the pertinent explanation:
Rabbits are unique among the grazing mammals in that they're what's known as "hindgut fermenters."
When they eat, their food doesn't have all of its nutrients extracted on the first go-round. Instead, the hindgut flora break down the cellulose into sugar and the bolus is evacuated as a loose, mushy stool.
Then the rabbit eats its own shit, extracts the nutrients, and poops out the little dry cocoa-puffs we're all familiar with.

tl;dr, your bun's fine and now you know that it's been eating its own shit this entire time.
>>
>>2050496
Ah. While normal cecotropes are pretty mucusy, that looks more like your bun's suffering from ISC.
Give it some more fiber in its diet and it'll be fine.
>>
>>2050496
My rabbit pooed like that sometimes iirc. He might have gotten a bit too much sugar. Go for hay and greens and pellets for a bit instead. If he starts acting strangely, panting, or is unable to hold up his head, etc, get to the vet. But I wouldn't worry just yet.

Fruit and carrots are too sugary for them to have too much. If you can't afford a vet visit right now, the library probably has some books with better advice.

Also not to badger but I hope that box is a temporary enclosure and that he gets some room to run. (Outside is dangerous for multiple reasons though. Inside hops are nice.)
>>
>>2050503
I read somethin about that, I guess he just has to eat more hay, and less pellets. Thanks!
>>2050504
Don't worry, that pic was taken the day I adopted him. He now has a cage and I let him roam my room whenever I can. So cute when he hops around haha. Thanks!
>>
>>2050510
Always happy to help another bun owner.
I used to have four angoras hopping around this place (they died of old age), so I'd be happy to help you out with any other rabbit questions.
>>
>>2050517
Look! This is fresh! Sorry I ask so much, but this is my first bunny ):
>>
>>2050522
That looks like a more-or-less normal cecotrope, but you should definitely give it more hay, or other indigestible fiber.
>>
>>2050524
I'm giving more hay now, cause he hasn't eaten regularly. Thanks a lot! (:
>>
>>2050510
Of course, glad to help however I can! :) It's good you're doing so much to look after him. Buns are great pets.
>>
>>2050535
I love him (: He's a lovely little guy! Thanks for all the help!

Do they ever learn to pee and poo in just one place? He's been peeing in a litter box, but still poops everywhere, any way I can solve that?
>>
>>2050539
Rabbits don't have the world's strongest latrining instincts, but they can definitely be litter-trained. Just give it time.

As an aside, make sure to hold off on the handling. It might seem tempting to cuddle the shit out of that adorable little floof, but rabbits don't take to it naturally.
What's most important is that he gets acclimated to his new home. Give it a week or two before easing into the cuddles.
>>
>>2050555
oh ok!

He's actually pretty cuddly, whenever I sit on the ground he just runs at me and sits on my lap. (:
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.