[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would it be unwise to get a very active dog breed like pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 645x380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 645x380
Would it be unwise to get a very active dog breed like pic related if I live in an urban area?
I live in Chicago, and while there are plenty of dog parks and even a dog beach, would the dog be satisfied with living in an urban area? I also make regular trips (1 or 2 weekends a month) to Michigan, which allows for stimulating activities like long hikes etc.
>>
File: mixed.jpg (80 KB, 740x529) Image search: [Google]
mixed.jpg
80 KB, 740x529
>>2047919
I think Dalmations have some of the worst eyesight of all dog breeds, and need to be exercised daily and explore. As long as you walk it daily and live in a place that has enough space for it to roam, it should be fine. I know there is a theory about the size of dogs and spaces they live in like a form of claustrophobia, so some people that live in apartments don't get big dogs, but I had a black lab and lived in a two room apartment and he was fine for the years we were there, and that was in Washington D.C. so you should be ok with a Dalmation.
>>
>>2047937
Is that a Bengal?
>>
>Dalmatians
>shit health
>shit temper
>horrendous appetite and obsession with food

don't do it OP
>>
>>2047963
>horrendous appetite and obsession with food

That's how dogs are.
>>
>>2047963

I'm also considering a German shorthaired pointer.
>>
>>2047937
Most big dogs are actually better in apartments/small houses than small active dogs because they just lay on the couch all day.

My housemate had a greyhound and she slept 90% of the time and wasn't stressed. My brothers jack russell couldn't do that.

>>2047919
I have a working dog in a big city and she's fine as long as she gets out twice a day and has company. A bigger backyard would mean nothing to her if there wasn't someone in it with her.

You do have to teach them to be chill while they're alone though otherwise you'll come home to a backyard that looks like a minefield or a dog that's jumped a six foot fence while you were at work and fucked off.

However the people across the street have a dal and he's a nutcase, t.b.h. I've never met one that didn't bite maybe something to think about.
>>
>>2047971
Yeah I know, that's why I don't get where that theory of big dogs in small spaces don't work, like I said I had a black lab in my apartment, he was fine.
>>
>>2047919
It depends how much daily activity you can give the dog. Dalmatians do need a fair amount of work out every day, they are not weekend warriors
>>
>>2047971
>>2047919
Dals become absolutely neurotic if they don't get enough mental and physical stimulation, and they need quite a bit. They were originally bred to be nutcases, after all
>>
>>2047982
I think people just think size instead of energy requirements.

>black lab
nice. I don't think we could have had ours in an apartment. She loved sitting in the fish pond in the backyard too much. Great dogs.

>>2047993
I've met a lot of animals before and the dalmatian across the street from is just fucking crazy, no amount of training or exercise will fix it.
>>
File: 'Ello Chaps.gif (808 KB, 207x207) Image search: [Google]
'Ello Chaps.gif
808 KB, 207x207
>>2047971
>Greyhound
Wow that's impressive, I thought of all dogs they would need to run around all day and would need alot of space.
>>
>>2047969
don't get a gsp because I have one and I also live in Chicago and there can only be one
>>
>>2047965
no, there's dogs being dogs, then there's dogs like labs or Dalmatians that are obsessed with it and it's so fucking annoying, and they're prone to obese
>>
I owned two dalmatians growing up, OP so I'll share what mine were like.

Both were very friendly, but the older possibly puppymill one was food aggressive. Other one was the sweetest, most loving and friendly dog with humans and other animals. Other one was too, only just not when it came to bothering her when she was eating. Younger one was very destructive towards her toys, but never destroyed anything else. I have also met two other families who had dalmatians and they were also very lovely. One the families brought their 4 to a flea market every weekend to sell their junk and they were very well behaved and friendly to people coming up and petting them.

My experience with their personalities have been nothing but good, but their health is no joke. Mine were unrelated(forgot where the first came from, other one we found so dirty and emaciated that you couldnt even tell she had spots) but they both ended up the same.
>going blind/went blind
>going deaf
>tumors, both fatty and cancerous
>horrific hip problems that will leave them immobile
>one started having minor seizures that the vet said would get worse over time
>their fur was crafted by satan and they shed A LOT. one piece is so sharp that stepping on just one at a certain angle will pierce your skin and you will have to pull it out. you will be vaccuming constantly, but to no avail.
One lived to 14, and the other 15 but that was after pleading to my family to put them down when their medical problems got so bad. Surgery and medication only did so much, and I never want to have go through that shit again. Seeing the last one laying in a puddle outside in the rain because her legs gave out, wagging her tail and trying to get to her ball and having to carry them up and down even a few steps just fucked me up. It was horrible to see how much life they still had in them, but their bodies just couldn't keep up.

If you do get a dal, make sure you do your homework on a breeder.
>>
>>2048721
OP I saw a gsp in Lincoln park. The dog was pointing at a pigeon, but the owner reprimanded the dog for it. Being a hunter myself, I was kinda heartbroken.
I'm starting to lean towards GSPs because I'd like a hunting buddy.
>>
>>2048010
>>2047971

Greyhounds have a reputation for being incredibly lazy around the running. It's to the point where it's not really fair to use them as an example of how big dogs are fine with apartments because they're widely considered one of the best (and largest) apartment-friendly breeds.

That being said, the vast majority of dogs are perfectly fine with apartments. Dogs don't care much about the size of their interior space beyond 'can I maneuver in here easily?'. If they're getting sufficient daily exercise, and regular chances to be off leash, it doesn't matter much that this space isn't attached to the home.

When picking a dog, just remind yourself "I have to keep up with all of this dog's energy needs', which could be anything from a walk or two to daily running/dog sports. If you can, go for it. If you can't, pass the breed up.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-10-16-15-21-38.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-10-16-15-21-38.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
>>2047919
I've had dalmatians for twenty years (oldfag). I'll be happy to answer any breed specific questions you have OP.
If you are seriously considering a dalmatian please do as much research as you can on the breed, and select a reputable breeder. As far as the activity, if your dalmatian is trained and socialized well the dog will be content with laying on the couch or running around the yard, as long as it is with you. I've known several people with them who live in apartments, as long as they get exercise the dog will adapt as they are a very versitile dog.
>>
>>2048791
What an idiot owner. Getting a pointer and getting mad when it points at stuff
>>
>>2048901
Thread should have ended here
>>
>>2047948
No. Why is this question even relevant?
>>2047919
I wouldn't suggest Dalmatians in general. I wouldn't even trust one in a dog park off leash. What are you looking for in a dog, OP?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.