[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Weirdness.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_0136.jpg (2 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0136.jpg
2 MB, 2448x2448
So, the other day, I snapped a few (bad) photos of a bird that I think was an eagle, standing over a dead squirrel. Presumably, it killed it, but at the time I was guessing it wouldn't eat it with a large stranger standing around who might steal his prize.

I come back maybe 10-20 minutes later, and there's still the squirrel carcass, but no sign of the bird. I guess he left without finishing his meal, but I'm not sure why a bird would do that.

A) Is this an Eagle?

B) Is this normal eagle behavior?

I don't really know much about ornithology, so apologies if this is some stupid trivial question I'm asking.
>>
Looks like a red tailed hawk, not an eagle.
Something might have spooked it before you came back, I dunno much about hawks though so it's just a guess.
>>
>>2043733
Yeah, that looks more like a hawk than an eagle. Some vegan peta fag probably chased it off because of "the poor adorable squirrel! YOU MONSTER!!!!"

Or some fucking idiot left their dog off the leash.
>>
that is a red tailed hawk, not an eagle.
but yes it is normal behaviour. some might pick the eyes out but most don't and tend to leave the head alone and just go for the body since there's more meat there and easier to get to.
>>
>>2043743
>>2043879
>>2044099

Thanks for the responses. Like I said, I don't really know anything about birds.

The one thing, and I don't know how well the photos convey it, is that as far as I could tell, the squirrel went uneaten entirely, and when I noticed the hawk, he wasn't eating, or trying to carry his prize away, he was just standing there looking around.
>>
It's a hawk, being that the kill was a squirrel it was probably to large to carry off.
>>
File: Heneryhawk.jpg (23 KB, 237x301) Image search: [Google]
Heneryhawk.jpg
23 KB, 237x301
>>2043733
Just a chicken hawk.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.