[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dog food
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1326275759325.jpg (42 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1326275759325.jpg
42 KB, 500x501
I'm getting a 13 week old puppy on sunday and I want to feed it the best. The cats eat raw but I don't think that's necessary with dogs, I'm thinking a mix of wet and dry food.. just don't know what brand is good/safe/reliable etc.

So what do you guys feed your dogs?
>>
hello
>>
>>2042864
Kibbles and Bits
>>
Deez Nuts
No but it all depends on the dog. Some dogs have sensitive stomachs like my lab so she eats some soft food salmon potato mix. It smells like ass
>>
>>2042864
I feed my dog a mix of Taste Of The Wild and table scraps that have not been seasoned or cooked in a bunch of grease. If you want to do that, make sure you look up what foods are poisenous to dogs, because there's some that are really good for us but really bad for dogs (like onions, garlic, grapes, and cocao *dark chocolate*)

For the most part though, more meat than veggies, small bits of fruit and a varied diet is the best. If your worried about messing something up with your dogs nutrition, you can do what I do which is feed a good kibble AND human food that's safe for dogs. Most people agree that raw is best, but I like to used cooked unless it's something that I myself would eat un-cooked.
>>
Raw is best. My favorite premade is Steve's, hands-down best sourcing and production. Supplement with raw meaty bones a few time a week for dental health.
>>
>>2043227

Could I feed canned food and then give the bones now and then?
>>
>>2043246
Whatever you do OP, make sure to do your research and get it checked out by vets that have a good background knowledge on dog nutrition. Canned is great, but it's pretty expensive and does not give as much nutrition and nutrients as a small bowel of kibble, so you have to feed a lot more. Certain foods from your own fridge you can give in small portions and often have them as leftovers anyway. Also, please, PLEASE take caution with the bones until you know how your dog chews on toys and such things. Some dogs are fine with bones, where as others will swallow large chunks, or splinter them into pieces and hurt themselves as they swallow them.
>>
>>2043248

Thanks. I already feed the cats raw chicken from the grocery store so I'm familiar with raw feeding, I just wasn't sure if it was worth the trouble for dogs since they're not as... carnivorous.

There's a place nearby that sells Steve's so I'll probably just do that. Might even get the chicken one to supplement the cat's diet instead of dealing with organs.

Thanks for the advice. The pup will probs be on kibble until he's older so I have time to decide what to do, I just don't want to feed him garbage in the mean time.
>>
>>2043253
Oh ya, and that's fine. My only real problem with raw personally is that I don't know where I could get meat and trust it not to get contaminated with things that could make my animals sick, and I don't trust my own knowledge enough to completely leave out the kibble. Dogs have similar dietary needs to us, but still different, so I don't want to mess up my own dogs nutrition-that's why I go the kibble route with some home made foods that I know are safe for dogs.

If we are having steak for dinner, and we have more than enough, I'll cut a good slab in half and cook some for my dog before I cook our own dinner, then cut it up and mix it in the kibble with some warm water. If I'm having some fruit for lunch, I'll make a game out of it and throw my dog some blueberries that she chases down. Simple things like that.

I don't like giving raw bones unless I'm able to sit and observe until she starts to crack it, at which point I take it away and give her a treat or a little peanut butter. Plus, there are all kinds of chew toys that can serve the same purpose, or just getting your dog used to brushing their teeth at night. Personally I like to get my dog bully sticks.
>>
Good reference for you OP:
http://youtu.be/I5ZeNLUEHKY

Keep in mind that while dogs aren't obligate carnivores, they are still carnivores compared to omnivores like grizzly bears. They do best on a meat-based diet with ideally less than 20% carbs.
>>
Thanks for the advice guys
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.