[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I train my Lab to be more menacing? I want him to chase
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_0489.jpg (683 KB, 1697x1132) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0489.jpg
683 KB, 1697x1132
How do I train my Lab to be more menacing?

I want him to chase away the neighborhood shithead kids.
>>
>>2041838
Get a pitbull
>>
>>2041840
Pit bulls are illegal where I live.
>>
>>2041838
Good god why are those labs so fat?t
>>
>>2041852
excuse you? because running and rough play is bad for dogs, you able-bodied swine. these dogs aren't being raped by their owners by having to run and compete for their balls. each of them gets xir ball individually and without having to break a sweat for it. and then they get as much treats as they want to because they know better than you how much they want to eat.
#FATACCEPTANCE
>>
File: workingfield2.jpg (75 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
workingfield2.jpg
75 KB, 800x533
>>2041852
bred to conform to the "breed standard" rather than function.
>>
>>2041856

The standard on labs (and Golden's, for that matter) is getting blocky to the point of useless, yes. But, still, that one in front is outright obese.
>>
>>2041838
Are those real labs? They look awfully short compared to a lab butt I had or my golden.
Also fat.
Good god, what the fuck.

>>2041861
There's also blocky muscular dogs, tho.
>>
File: _IGP8939_2.jpg (394 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
_IGP8939_2.jpg
394 KB, 1024x685
>>2041861
>the short and strong legs make them faster and more agile in the bushes and reeds while hunting

this is my golden rtr.
she was called sweet pug by an older woman on the street today
i guess the short legs make her look kind of fat
many people think she is still young and will grow
>>
File: calypso.gif (187 KB, 800x480) Image search: [Google]
calypso.gif
187 KB, 800x480
>>2041884

There are, but:

A. There's no reason for the lab to bulk up. It's not like it needs to be physically intimidating, or overpower things like other bulky breeds such as your Molossers. If anything, extra bulk hinders its ability to do the one thing the breed is for: moving quickly through reeds, water, etc. to retrieve an already dead or dying bird.

B. The breed standard is changing to favor a dog that's neither more muscular nor better at it's job, but just one that's bigger for the sake of bigger. Take a look at the 2014 Westminster champion who would fit in quite well with the fat lot in OP's post.

There's a reason we really aren't seeing dual champions anymore, and why we have to make such a distinction between 'field' and 'show' labs. This is a breed with one of the highest rates of obesity in the dog world, and rather than working on keeping their dogs functional and healthy the breed standard is instead choosing to steer into the skid.
>>
>>2041954

To get back to OP's question, your best bet is to train the dog to bark intimidatingly at strangers. It shouldn't be terribly difficult to find a trainer who can handle that, and you don't have the risk, responsibility, or expense of building a dog up to be a physical threat to anyone.
>>
File: kipps-copyright-1012-6273.jpg (24 KB, 580x424) Image search: [Google]
kipps-copyright-1012-6273.jpg
24 KB, 580x424
>>2041938

It's not really the short legs, though they certainly don't help, but more that you have another breed that's becoming acceptably thicker for the sake of being thicker.
>>
File: 30.01.2013c.jpg (92 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
30.01.2013c.jpg
92 KB, 500x331
>>2041964
damn this has even shorter legs. Is this official show line breeding?
i think they are more bred to be comfy, cuddly family dogs than hunting dogs.

But you can still get working lines.
>>
you must first desire to chase away the kids...yourself
>>
>>2041975

Yes, that's getting to be a pretty standard look for a show Golden.

And breeding to just be 'comfy, cuddly family dogs rather than hunting dogs' is kind of core to the issues the Golden is having right now. They're rapidly losing their functionality (they're becoming a rarer and rarer sight at field trials), and with a leaning towards stockier and lazier dogs they're falling into issues like an even higher obesity rate than Labradors have (62% vs 58%).
>>
>>2041838
>How do I train my Lab to be more menacing?
Don't
>I want him to chase away the neighborhood shithead kids.
No you don't.

Having an aggressive dogs sucks, don't do it OP.
>>
Get a gun and sit on the porch with it. Alternatively, if you see the little shits around then get said gun, open your door, and say "GET OFF MY PROPERTY OR YOU'RE DEAD." Legally nothing can be done to you (especially if your state or area has anything like castle doctrine) and since it's your property, you're in the right completely.
>>
>>2041842
live somewhere else
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.