[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
cat scruffing? Is it good or bad? I've always picked my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: scruffing-a-cat.jpg (82 KB, 700x933) Image search: [Google]
scruffing-a-cat.jpg
82 KB, 700x933
cat scruffing? Is it good or bad? I've always picked my cats up by the scruff of their neck and it's never been a problem. They don't meow or cry, they don't struggle, they don't stop purring if they were and I don't carry them around like that or anything, I just pick them up that way.

Is it a bad thing? Do any of you pick your cats up this way? Whenever family see me do this they gasp and call me cruel. Even my local vet says scruffing should only be used as a restraining technique and even then only as a last resort. What are your thoughts?

Pic related but not my cat.
>>
If I'm casually moving him around, no, I just pick him up like normal. The two times he clawed something I scruffed him to make him stop immediately and redirected to his scratching post.

The other times I've scruffed him is when he darted out the front door after a bird with a broken wing that was fluttering outside, and putting him into his carrier [he likes it, but he doesn't like going into it when he isn't ready. Sometimes I'm in a hurry, sorry bud].

Why do you feel the need to scruff them if you are simply picking them up or moving them? Not that it physically hurts them, but it is a callous method if you're simply picking them up.
>>
>>2040964
For an adult cat, I never pick them up by the scruff alone. It's a lot of weight to be put on the excess skin of their neck that you're pinching. Not only is it painful, but it can cause injuries, especially if your cat is large.

I do scruff my cats as I'm picking them up, but I support their body too. I have to do this because they are somewhat feral, and people give me the same shit too. Scruffing alone usually doesn't hurt unless there is some other underlying issue, like ear infection/mites, fleas, wounds, etc.
>>
>>2040968
>Why do you feel the need to scruff them if you are simply picking them up or moving them?

Maybe it's strange but it feels natural. Also, when I pick them up by the belly sometimes they groan like I picked them up too hard. I generally grab them by the scruff and raise them up to my chest where I sort of cradle them like a baby (maybe that's weird, whatever). They lay there, purr and relax while I move them to wherever I'm headed.
>>
>>2040977
Well if you support their bottom, I don't really see an issue.
>>
File: image.jpg (123 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123 KB, 1000x750
it's good for bad kitties
>>
I only grab my cat by the scruff when he's resisting. I support the rest of the weight with my other hand/arm, though.
>>
>>2040977
Don't pick them up by the belly, pick them up by putting your hands under their arms and chest, then use the other hand to support their backlegs/bottom.
>>
> itt: passive animal abusers
>>
There's only two reasons I'd ever grab a cat like that. One is if the cat is somewhat panicked but I absolutely have to get a hold of it, I'll grab it by the nape of its neck to better control it and so it can't easily bite or scratch me. The second reason is if it is under a couch or somewhere that's hard to reach, I'll drag it out by its nape and then pick it up like normal when I am able to.

Basically, I don't recommend doing it at all unless you absolutely must for whatever reason.
>>
By nature it's not designed for adult use.
>>
I only scruff my one cat when he gets into a scuffle with the other cat. Hes the instigator so I scruff him just enough to lift his head and quickly put my other hand under his backside to support his weight. Even if you just lightly grab the scruff of his neck he stops what he's doing. I had to scruff him and hold him down another time because he was flipping out when he got his jaw stuck under his collar(it was a snap collar that decided not to work anymore so I had to cut it off).

Dont be an idiot, OP. Your own vet told you not to do it yet you still do it and come back here asking if its OK. You don't want to know if its OK, you just don't want to be wrong.
>>
scruffing is not meant to be done on adult cats. it can cause serious injury or panicked response

>They don't meow or cry, they don't struggle
because it's instinct for them not to struggle when it happens to avoid further injury. doesn't mean it isn't uncomfortable for them

>they don't stop purring
purring doesn't always mean happiness/pleasure
>>
>Even my local vet says scruffing should only be used as a restraining technique and even then only as a last resort.

why does this thread exist. why is this even a question in your mind. what possible ambiguity clouds your perception of this subject. you god damn idiot piece of shit holy FUCK.

>but i've always huffed paint
>>
>>2041533
Because vets can be wrong just like anyone else? The word of one vet isn't the word of god.

Still, the vet is right in this case, but that's some shitty ass logic.
>>
>>2041534
fallibility definitely means a professional's advice is countermanded by one pet owner's years of ill-considered experience. yep. that's some healthy skepticism.
>>
I grab my cats scruff while we play but don't lift him up.

I also poke him in the forehead.
>>
>>2041534
>my doctor told me its bad to touch a hot stove
>is he right?
Thats OP. No one said vets couldn't be wrong. His argument and need to find out 'who is right' is just unbelievably retarded. It doesn't take a genius to come to their own conclusion why it may or may not be bad.
>>
>>2041534
Is the vet sponsored by an anti scruffing corporation? Will not scruffing lead to more vet visits or medications? Will the vet somehow benefit if OP stops scruffing? Is scruffing a subject of controversy? Is scruffing crucial for the health of the cat?

There's no logic or reason in this situation that leads anywhere near doubt of the vet. Get your shitty ass logic out of here.
>>
>>2040964
Do not pick them up out of the air this way for fully grown cats. You can pinch the scruff, but you shouldn't lift them that way when they're fully grown.
>>
>>2041358
That image is autistic as fuck. Obviously you don't pick a cat up by his front legs, but all other ways are fine.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.