[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does this make you feel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11
File: il_570xN.137767687.jpg (31 KB, 570x428) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.137767687.jpg
31 KB, 570x428
How does this make you feel?
>>
enraged
>>
human beings live in comparatively smaller rooms

why should animals have more rights than people
>>
Don't Betas prefer smaller habitats? As far as I know they're territorial and like the small space, so I guess if you kept his water clean and kept him fed, he'd be fine? The fuck do I know.
>>
I wonder how the world looks from the beta's view in there.
>>
>>2039952
I don't know in what kind of shithole you live, but my house is quite spacious.
>>
>>2039956
ok amerifat
>>
>>2039949
makes me feel like screwing it into a light socket
>>
>>2039954
No, that's just a shill for the pet stores. A five or ten gallon tank would be much better, but even 5 gallons is cutting it close to too small.

I know they will fight other betas, but I don't know if they are completely solitary. When I was a kid I had one in with two small goldfish in a ten gallon tank and he did alright for about a year before my asshole uncle thought it would be funny to pour half a bottle of champagne in their water...
>>
>>2039954
It's a meme because one amazing thing about wild bettas is how they can survive in puddles in rice patties for months at a time. Then people take that as bettas like to live in little bowls. I think the rule of thumb for bettas is like 5-10 gallon tank and to keep the water relatively still. Not very much can thrive in pic related; not a gold fish, not a tetra, not a cat fish etc. Maybe a shrimp but I'm no expert
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with less-than-perfect care.
>>
>>2039949
Quite upset.
>>
>>2039973
Please don't own animals.
>>
>>2039952
This nigger just went full retard.

Humans can live in smaller places and are able to leave that place to the outside world. But we have a way to get rid of our shit and piss. They don't so it builds up quickly and the ammonia burns them and eventually die.
>>
>>2039949
real darn angry.
>>
File: 1451755808626.jpg (14 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
1451755808626.jpg
14 KB, 355x355
Why do wildly inappropriate fish tanks have to be so adorable despite being so shitty for the fish?
>>
File: 1427447348227.jpg (25 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1427447348227.jpg
25 KB, 500x500
>>
File: 1440903206134.jpg (65 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1440903206134.jpg
65 KB, 600x600
>>
>>2040159
Thats terrible. As small as it is, you can only fill it halfway.
>>
File: 1447099926294.gif (113 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
1447099926294.gif
113 KB, 600x300
These ones are bookends.
>>
File: 1444310286059.jpg (30 KB, 570x570) Image search: [Google]
1444310286059.jpg
30 KB, 570x570
Wall-mounted fish bowls look so cool too. I'd fill my house with them if not for... well, the obvious.
>>
>>2040156

Because people looking for the smallest amount of water possible also tend to value aesthetics more than anything else involved (including the animal itself).
>>
>>2040156
Someday I'd love to repurpose an old gumball machine into a fish tank, one of the big 5-6 foot tall ones. I have no idea the level of technical know-how that would be involved in such a project, though.
>>
>>2039966
Some bettas do well with other fish, some do well with only certain kinds of fish, and some attack anything and everything. Most of my previous bettas were kept with other fish and had no problems. My current one, however, is a shithead.
>>
>>2039952
Just because you're content never leaving your room doesn't mean other people are, anon.
>>
>>2039949
Nothing you can do about stupid people whose parents failed them.

>>2039969
>Maybe a shrimp
Not really. It might live for a bit, but there's nothing oxygenating the water and there isn't enough surface area for beneficial bacteria that break down ammonia.

>>2040156
If manufacturers made cute tanks big enough to actually house animals, they'd have to charge even more ludicrous prices for them to keep their margins and people wouldn't buy them on impulse.

>>2040184
Just plug the hole in the bottom and cut a small hole in the top for an airline to run an undergravel filter through the center. It'd probably only be somewhere around 3-5 gallons, and the shape isn't very efficient at providing swimming space. It'd be good for small inverts.
>>
Bettas need 3 gal minimum

Good tank mates for them are harlequin rasboras
>>
>>2039949
I think that's a cool idea, but it is also horribly inhumane to that poor fish. If I had a bulb large enough, then I would try this with some tiny snails and maybe a shrimp or two. But only if the species I have never grow too large for the bulb.
>>
Might be okay for a single trumpet snail and a piece of elodea.
>>
File: lightbulbterrariums.jpg (45 KB, 246x631) Image search: [Google]
lightbulbterrariums.jpg
45 KB, 246x631
>>2040355
actually the best thing to do in those is was aquatic plants
>>
>>2040339
>Good tank mates for them are harlequin rasboras
Yes, but not in a three gallon.
>>
>>2040530
Imagine doing this in a chandelier-style holder with little LEDs in the bases.
>>
>>2039949

Do tanks like this work as little miniture gardens for things like java moss and shit?
>>
>>2040530

Shit thats perfect.
I always wanted to try growing aquarium plants somehow. Any guide on how I could make these?
Im sure there has to be a way to properly do it so the metal and lightbulb stuff doesn't fuck the water?
>>
File: instructions.jpg (139 KB, 1078x801) Image search: [Google]
instructions.jpg
139 KB, 1078x801
>>2040810
Here is the instructions on making them for dry moss terrariums. I assume the process and cleaning is the same.
>>
>>2040885
Also if you are worried about the bulb contaminating the water and plants, your other option would be to buy a "light bulb jar". They sell them at Hobby Lobby and places like that. And it is just what it sounds like. A container made to look like a lightbulb, but with thicker glass, etc.,
>>
I had a 5 gallon tank where I housed a young dojo loch. It was fairly empty for a bit so I added a beta and purchased a few bottom swimmers. Worked out pretty good. The betta just floated there looking blue as fuck and the bottom dwellers minded their own business
>>
File: fish torture chamber.png (443 KB, 720x736) Image search: [Google]
fish torture chamber.png
443 KB, 720x736
Neat concept that shouldnt be executed with such small sizes
>>
>>2041014
Heh I remember that thread
>>
File: 1453175484779~01.png (59 KB, 199x144) Image search: [Google]
1453175484779~01.png
59 KB, 199x144
>>2041014
It always gets me that the one fish is already a ghost.
>>
>>2039949

Irate.

I guess its an american thing? Never saw aquariums like that or round goldfish ones ever in europe.
>>
>>2041052
I live in Italy and goldfish bowls are very popular here.
>>
>>2041052
This is literally how my local walmart keeps their bettas, and some have blue water (don't know why, maybe to stand out?).

I can only hope that someone at that walmart puts them in a larger container at night, but it's a slim hope.
>>
File: bettas.jpg (89 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
bettas.jpg
89 KB, 640x480
>>2041185
forgot pick
>>
>>2041186
Jesus Fucking Christ.

WHY
>>
>>2041189
Are there places that DONT sell bettas like that? I'm not defending it at all, I just have never seen a store without them in cups.
>>
>>2040061
Fish of that size have literally no chance of consciousness, thus can be torture and murdered with no real moral consequence.
Imitation of pain and other reactions caused by electronic signals sent from the outside of the organisms central nervous system are not morally a negative. I don't advocate for animal cruelty for personal pleasure, but by itself there is nothing wrong with it.

I used to be against artificial environmental pressures too, but it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>2041257
Are you completely retarded?
I like that your entire argument is that they have no chance of consciousness exclusively because they are SMALL. That has absolutely nothing to do with anything.
>>
>>2041258
Are you?
>>
>>2041185
>some have blue water
They're shipped to the store in the blue water and the employees don't always change it out once they get there. I believe it's methylene blue, a fungicide, to reduce stress and potential for disease during shipping.

>I can only hope that someone at that walmart puts them in a larger container at night
'Fraid not.
The fish can survive in cups like that for 3-5 months if they're fed sparingly and the water is changed out once or twice a week. Walmart isn't interested in holding onto them for longer than that anyway. The idea is to give the fish (all of the fish) good enough conditions to keep them alive until a customer buys it.

>>2041194
The cups in that picture are much smaller than the standard 12 oz ones, though that size isn't what I'd call uncommon either.
I've seen LFS that have betta in half gallon "tanks" with a small plastic decoration in each one. If one cared to make the initial investment, there are "betta barracks," which are essentially several small (~1 gallon) tanks connected to a shared sump filter. I've never seen one in person, but I know there are shops that use them.
Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcVVRCl8-D8
>>
>>2041268
God those barracks look so much better. What I don't get is that walmart (least ours) usually only has about that many on the shelf anyway, so why not keep them in a good setup like that instead of in tiny cups that they can barely move in, look lathargic, and half of them are dead? I mean, if I saw some like that I would love to buy them instead of getting the urge to just knock them all off the counter and put them out of their misery.
>>
>>2041275
It's a large initial investment, extra running costs, and more involved maintenance. It's also "less convenient" for customers.
With the cups they just pay a minimum wage worker to feed them and change the water out once (twice?) a week. If they gave each betta a tank (even a small, unfiltered one) changing the water would be much more involved and take longer, and customers would have to wait for a worker to net and bag the fish instead of just grabbing a cup.
Not that I disagree with your sentiments. Really, Walmart shouldn't be selling live animals of any kind unless they're willing to hire two or three people whose only job is to look after them full time. That's not going to happen, though. I find it more disappointing that pet chains like PetCo and PetSmart aren't willing to make the investment.
>>
>>2041186
My petco sells betas in cups half that size
Goddamn disgusting
>>
>>2041417
So where do I signup to vote this disgusting practice out the window?
>>
>>2041257
It's not about morality, it's about responsability and respect for life.
>>
>>2039952
8/10, wrote a legit reply before I realized what was happening.
>>
>>2039949
Thats a siamese fighting fish yes?
Reminds me of 2 my mum had, were in a 1 litre small tank with a divider, a red one and a blue one, a couple of times I removed the divider and they went ballistic ripping each other to shreds.

>>2039966
And this reminds me of when a mate poured 2 shots of Jacks into my turtles tank...

He went wild for a few hours, wouldnt stay still at all swimming up and down constantly.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.