[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
pet regret
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: adopted-cat-281x211-281x211[1].jpg (15 KB, 281x211) Image search: [Google]
adopted-cat-281x211-281x211[1].jpg
15 KB, 281x211
I know it is said that animals reduce anxiety and stress...But I am having the opposite reaction after adopting a cat.

Some background: I work at an animal hospital, am 23, and have never owned a pet before a few days ago. This cat was abandoned at the front door of my workplace almost 5 years ago, before I started working there. He will be 6 in April.

Although he has only been at my house for a few days, I have known the cat for about a year, and we have grown close over my time working at this animal hospital, which is why I thought it might be a good idea to adopt him.

He is a terrific cat...But for some reason I am just unhappy having him around. I used to be happy when he greeted me at work, and I would rub his belly and hug him and all that stuff. But ever since he came home, all I do is think about where he is in my house and what me might be doing or getting into, especially at night. And it's not fun for me...And every time I think I hear a meow, or when he actually does meow from some location in my house, I get nervous and have to investigate, even though it's nothing.

I am thinking about bringing him back to my workplace, where he does have free roam for half the day until he is caged at night. But I know I will feel terrible about that...I feel terrible about this dilemma already...

Has anyone else had a reaction like this to owning a pet for the first time? I love cats and dogs...But I am beginning to think that I am just not psychologically cut-out for ownership...
>>
>>2039097

It sounds like you're just ridiculously anxious.

Do you have a partner?

Also...you work in an animal hospital...but don't have pets??
>>
It's because it's something new in your life anon. You've not adjusted and it's making you stressed/anxious. It's normal, don't worry about in. In a few weeks you'll be fawning over this cat. Give it time.
>>
>>2039097
your cat needs a friend, another cat to keep it company. they are pack animals after all
>>
Make photos. Buy some remote control toys, those shits are never too old for it. Or a drone even. Do some fun stuff together.
>>
>>2039097
Wait, has it actually caused any damage, or do you just think it will? I could understand if it was soiling the place or tearing things to shreds, but freaking out about it making the odd noise is silly. Thats just what cats do for attention. Theres no need to crate it, if there's any valuables you're really worried about, just put them out of reach. If its fairly chill though there's nothing to worry about.
>>
>>2039097
I know exactly what you're feeling. I immensely regretted getting my first cat after the first week. But as you become more familiar with your cat and generally cat proof the place you start worrying less, and usually know where he is and what he's up to just by habit. I love the shit out of my cat now and he is very happy, purring loudly and constantly and sleeping at my feet at night.
>>
>>2039117
If OP is stressed by one cat the last thing they need is another.
>>
Leave your cat some automatic toys before you leave. Or teach him how to watch YouTube.

Sometimes if my cat is hyper and I'm working, I'll put on some YouTube birds on TV. He took a while to notice it, but once he did you saw it click. Keeps him well out of my hair.

You could also set up a bird feeder. He loved that too.

When cats are older like yours they're generally pretty careful about what they get into. Your cat isn't a kitten. So that's lucky at least.
>>
>>2039097
Maybe you could

SMOKE SOME WEED
M
O
K
E
>>
>>2039097
Sounds like you need a human companion instead
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.