[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which one is the best?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: _20160115_234357.jpg (48 KB, 720x373) Image search: [Google]
_20160115_234357.jpg
48 KB, 720x373
Gsd vs doberman vs rottweiler.
What do you think is the best breed when it comes to useful personal traits and the number of health problems?
>>
Well, you can select lines of GSDs that are less likely to have bad hips. But 50% of all Dobermans, from all lines worldwide, will die from DCM.

And I've never found Rottweilers aesthetically appealing.

A good GSD really ought to be a highly adaptable animal that can be trained for just about any task, with minimal or mild health concerns.

GSD for me, but everyone has their own preferences.
>>
in the shelter I'm at, GSDs are always the most neurotic shitty dogs. the puppies we get in are fine, but only one over 6 months wasn't this way. that's pretty standard for them here as well

rotties are pretty much the same as GSDs around here but less common. just got one in yesterday who is probably the scariest dog I've ever seen. he's the only dog we've had that I'm actually afraid to even walk by his kennel

dobermans are usually pretty chill in my experience

that being said, I think dobermans are the least healthy, with GSDs and rotties not being too different from eachother in terms of number of health issues or severity
>>
When I worked at a vet hospital, most of the highly aggressive dogs were GSDs, and GSDs were only a very small fraction of the canine patients we saw. It's ridiculous how many of them were neurotic shitheads.

Every doberman and rottweiler I've met were absolute sweethearts. Rottweilers were all either really aloof or goofy, and dobermans seem to be really clingy with their owners.

GSDs are very versatile, but the typical GSD personality I've seen makes me think the average pet GSD is shit-tier. Rottweilers seem to get fat really easily, but are big strong dogs with a scary bark, and would be good at frightening potential intruders. Dobermans would be my favorite, I like an animal that's attached to its owner at the hip, and the most well-trained dog I've ever met was a doberman.

Any of them can be great if bred well and trained up right.
>>
I don't know much about health issues but I find gsd to be gorgeous
>>
I think German shepherds are absolutely beautiful. Rotties don't really appeal to me aesthetics wise. I don't think I've ever met a doberman.
>>
It seems gsd is winning
>>
Doberman or rottie. GSDs are usually way too neurotic and I actually hate their look. Dobes are beautiful, especially if they're left with their natural ears. I like rotties but they're so bland. I love goofy dogs that look scary
>>
>>2039045
DCM though
>>
>>2039039
I don't think just saying "they're pretty" counts, since we're looking at personality traits and health.
>>
Objectively I'd definitely say rotties, but I love GSDs for whatever reason.
>>
>>2039046
Yeah, the DCM definitely puts me off. Like, knowing your dog could die when it's just four years old from a sudden heart arrythmia. Or slow and utterly inexorable death from congestive heart failure over a matter of months, while you watch on and can do nothing except euthanise it, when it should be in the prime of its life. That's brutal, and half of them die from it, and there's just no way to avoid it.

I swear, give me a dog with dodgy hips over DCM any day. Arthritis is so easily managed, comparatively. (And, in fact, I HAVE managed arthritis in my German Shepherd for the past six years, and he can still run five kilometers on a cool day without noticeable stiffness later on.)

I have actually never met a friendly Rottweiler. Our neighbour's Papillion was attacked by one a couple of years back. It was in a cast for a long time. And my shepherd was very nearly attacked by a different one at the beach earlier this year, except that the guy who was with it grabbed it's long line and reeled it back in. It got within about three feet of him, though, and if he didn't have such a strong Leave It command he probably would've engaged.

Rotties are just generally one of those dogs that we steer in a wide arc around whenever we're out walking somewhere these days. Incidentally, so are Golden Retrievers.

On the other hand, there's a very pleasant German Shepherd that is often in line at the coffee cart at the same time of the morning we stop by.

Temperament of breeds seems to be different by location, because most of the GSDs I run across are perfectly pleasant, while most of the reports on this board are of horrible GSDs. Of course, I'm not in the US, and our demographics are quite different.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-16-17-00-20.png (487 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-16-17-00-20.png
487 KB, 540x960
GSD rottweiler doberman mix. Problem solved
>>
>>2039106
That's a really cool looking dog
>>
Ew. None of them.
>>
>>2039089
In the deep south USA I encountered neurotic GSD while working for a vet, and also just in the general public. They did not come from decent breeders most of the time, nor from families that knew how to raise a working dog breed.

The only one I really cared about was this white GSD. He was super sweet, and most of the puppies that came from his breeder [they only had him as the stud, and just one breeding female at any time, and only bred her 2-3 times] were wonderful in both genetics and behavior.

I had wonderful experiences with Rottweilers for some reason. Now that I've moved I hear horror stories all the time, but the three Rotties I knew the most [all from different owners with different demographics] were giant, sweet lapdogs.

Now I live out west near the Rockies as a CVT, and out here the Dobermans I've interacted with were lovely, well-behaved, and sweet, even at the vet. Especially with kids. They love to eat rocks though. The two emergency surgeries we've had for impactions since I've moved out here [both were rocks] were both dobermans.
>>
>>2040992
You can't expect a dog like gsd to behave like a golden retriever
>>
>>2040997
No, but you can expect a GSD to behave. GSDs aren't meant to be unstable, but poor breeding and sloppy training is driving their reliability into the ground.
>>
>>2040999
You can definitely expect them to behave.

You should be able to roll into the vet with him, put them in a sit or a down, not react to the other dogs in the waiting room, go into the examination room without balking, and accept a physical exam including examination of the ears, teeth, and manipulation of the legs, without reacting and biting the vet. This is basic shit that you need to be able to do with any dog, actually, but especially reinforced with large powerful dogs such as the GSD.

It pisses me off that people don't train them right, or breed them well.
>>
GSD
Most people cant handle the exercise they need though and get pissed when they get a neurotic or adhd dog that wont sit still.
Wonderful dogs though, extremely intelligent and loyal. Pure black sables are prettiest dog you can find also imo.
>>
File: 30rqjra.jpg (22 KB, 450x312) Image search: [Google]
30rqjra.jpg
22 KB, 450x312
>>2038391
The doberman, but without the cropped ears.
>>
File: WP_20140816_011.jpg (232 KB, 1278x720) Image search: [Google]
WP_20140816_011.jpg
232 KB, 1278x720
>>2039106
I have a dobie shepard mix and she's pretty damn fantastic. Cuddle bug, attached, protective and lets me do whatever to her. My only issue is that its had to hold her attention unless theres treats involved.
Shes only two and a half but so far her only health problems have been her getting injured.
>>
File: IMG_20150826_233152383.jpg (764 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150826_233152383.jpg
764 KB, 1456x2592
>>2039106
I had a GSD rottie mix, I love the combination of those two. She was amazing, really playful and attached to me. Had her for 6 months and had to give her away because my gf chihuahua got prego and everytime she saw her got really neurotic and the vet recommend to us to not have them close :(
>>
>>2041250
Wrong move
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.