[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are /an/'s thoughts on Cesar Millan?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3
File: Capture.jpg (42 KB, 534x401) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
42 KB, 534x401
What are /an/'s thoughts on Cesar Millan?
>>
never heard of him
>>
>>2037945
huh really
>>
>>2037948
He looks like he would be a beautiful drag queen with those fake lips. Other than that I don't really care for him. I feel like he's mostly just a TV icon with no real knowledge on dog psychology.
>>
Good handle on knowing how dogs think but gets shit on by youtube activists that seem to think tapping is the same as brutally bashing a dog half to death.
>>
>>2037953
>Good handle on knowing how dogs think
But he really...doesn't.

I certainly don't think what he's doing is "abuse" but it's definitely counter-intuitive in most cases and his "theory" behind it all is just bunk.
>>
>>2037956

From what he's seen he does. Like in one episode, he explains that the reason the person's dog sprinted across the road toward another dog's house and stopped suddenly, acting nervous, which allowed the other dog to attack it was because it realized it's in another dog's territory.

Most of what he says about the dogs' behaviours do make sense, if you are a person that considers animal behaviours in regards to evolution. Unfortunately, many people humanize animal behaviours (including other trainers) which I dislike.
>>
>>2037956

Also, none of his show is actually "training." It's just rehab for death row dogs, mostly. They explicitly state not to take anything from the show to use in real life or like normal training. Not that it doesn't work, it just doesn't work in the hands of people that don't understand the material.
>>
Not a big fan. I'd rather see him work with actual problem dogs, but a lot of his show is dealing with dogs that bark too much, dogs that pull on the leash, dogs that don't like to swim in pools etc which is just bull shit. I've seen a show where he is helping a family make their beagle puppy stop sniffing because the sniffing was bothersome. Boo fucking hoo you got a beagle when you didn't want a beagle. Most of the dogs are not in danger of being put down, just some ritzy family who doesn't want just anyone to train their rude dog

I also don't agree with his flooding technique. Unfortunately, it's very good for TV because it's intense and gives quick results. The problem lies in the long run, though; flooding often results in the need to continue flooding for the situation every time, and sometimes it will even get harder to do if the dog had a particularly bad experience with it.

If he dealt with actual problem dogs that were actually going to die (which, to be fair, I've seen him do about 3 times with owners) I'd have less of an issue with him. But his extreme methods don't usually fit with most of the dogs he deals with, and especially some of the things he does with fearful dogs.
>>
great if you enjoy emotionless zombie dogs
>>
I like that he emphasizes that most of the dogs' behavior problems can be solved or made better with consistent exercise and routine.

I also like that he takes dogs away from families that clearly have no way of handling them and replaces them with dogs that are more suited to the family's energy needs.

I've never seen him outright abuse a dog. I have seen him be harsh with dogs in ways that I wouldn't be or attempt, but I've seen a lot of people say he abuses dogs and I just don't think that's true.
>>
>>2037942
My brother in law claims to subscribe to Cesar Millan's code of ethics and he bites his dog in the face while it screams in pain to assert "dominance". I mentioned something like "hey, maybe don't fucking do that?" and his family got all defensive and told me that the dog "enjoys it". I really do hope their marriage falls apart soon, I can't stand him much longer. He's the only example of somebody who likes him I have and he abuses everyone and everything in the family. He also won't stop calling me "swaggy g". So, as far as I know, Cesar Millan is awful and dumb.
>>
>>2038123
One of my (ex)friends did something similar, he'd punch his dog in the face to assert dominance because Cesar.
>>
>>2038127
People who believe in dominance training should honestly have their dogs taken away from them.
>>
>>2038123
>He also won't stop calling me "swaggy g".
kek
>>
>>2038127
>Dog comes to me and annoys me, showing teeth and growling.
>Punch dog in the face.
>Pinch her by the skin of her neck with my other hand.
>She bites me.
>I grab at her face, but she rolls over.
>She kicks at me with her rear legs.
>Manage to slap her belly and keep a hand firmly on her rib cage.
>Dog snarls and growls and bites at empty air, then rolls on her side and escape my grab.
>Growl at dog while she runs away.
>She comes back with a tug toy in her mouth, she wants to play something else now.
But I was about to do stuff on the computer. Stop being so cute.
>>
File: 1411516507902.jpg (95 KB, 680x989) Image search: [Google]
1411516507902.jpg
95 KB, 680x989
This thread again
>>
If my dog does something stupid a quick and hard smack on the rear end and he's loyal forever
>>
>>2038148
couldnt find one in the archive
>>
>>2038123
>>2038127
I haven't watched the show, does he actually do this shit?
>>
>>2038204
He gets into dogs' faces because he can't read the "please leave me alone" signals at all, gets bitten as a result because all these dogs are aggressive and have problems, and then kicks them.
>>
>>2037942
Closet homo
>>
>>2037942
he subscribes to that 'alpha dog' bullshit which has been discredited for more than a decade. the 'alpha dog' behavior was observed in captive wolves who were unfamiliar with each other, never been observed in the wild, and sure as shit doesn't apply to the relationship between a human and a domestic dog.
>>
My parent used to watch his show and I had seen some of his episodes.

He seems to know what he is doing and all those knowledge is something he had learned from somebody who had studies the dogs behaviour for long time
>>
>>2038208
what? haven't seen that once. link?
>>
>>2038286
>dogs = wolves
>wolves don't care much what others do in their pack
>humans shouldn't care what their dogs do
is this really what you are trying to say?
>>
>>2037942
I think that his methods aren't necessary/are harmful for most dogs. He's not doing the shit that he's doing to any dog other than one that must be taken under control or else it's going to get destroyed. I think that it would be much better to properly socialize/train your dog when its young (eg 8 weeks to 6 months) so you avoid the extreme problems that he has in the show, which to a degree warrant extreme methods.
>>
>I CANT KEEP MY FUCKING COOL
>>
>>2037942

He based himself on some outdated theories but at least he's advocating that people treat dogs like fucking dogs and not like human beings/children.
>>
Ugly ass mutt
>>
>>2038084
Ya pretty much this.
>>
>>2039644
Animals do have pecking orders. Being at the top of this as a human will not affect anything. Even if they were similar, the alpha male and female wolves don't give orders to their pack. It just means they get food first and the other wolves have to act submissive. This won't make your dog stop barking or help train.
>>
>>2039643
I haven't seen him kick or punch dogs either. Not in the way people are suggesting on here.
>>
i don't like him at all.. his theories are old fashioned at best and dangerous at worst

he kicks and shocks dogs and is bad at reading their signals

some of his advice is ok like walk your dog and stuff like that but that's as far as it goes ..

too bad a more contemporary dog trainer can't be who mindless tv watching drones look up to
>>
he's known to kick dogs
>>
Met him irl, he's a prick.
>>
>>2040153
Citation needed, but what happened?
>>
>>2040186
He turned up to work with our dogs that were deemed un-saveable and would be put to sleep. Wouldn't work with any who were actually at risk of pts because they were too hard, finally agreed to work on a nervous little cross (easily adoptable but would bark and snap) who was already being worked with by our behaviourist, fucked her over, made her more nervous and gave up after she bit another dog. He barely spent 10minutes with her and most of the time spent with him "working with the poor doggies" was his publicist bitching at us.

But that's just my experience.
>>
>>2040186
I saw Cesar Milln at a grocery store in Los Angeles a few years ago. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
>>
Look, it took me a while to realize it, but "dog-people" are insane.

White people are also insane.

Grown men who are "dog-persons" act like disgusting soccer moms. Daily updates from dogfags about "abloo bloo muh wolf-killings".

There is something fundamentally wrong with dog-owners, and its worst if they are white.

Abloo bloo i'm 25 year old male soccer mom i have owned dogs for 10 years and attended soccer moms dog training facility, I have diploma written in Comic sans and ceasar milans techniques dont work and they are sadistic torture. I also sell Chakra-Stones 20dollars each for vitality and practice speaking to the dead, why cant I get my dog stop ruining my furniture???
>>
>>2040201
What shelter do you work at exactly? Not that it's unbelievable but there's more that can possibly back this up. Unlike >>2040735 which hard to prove true or untrue.

I know this from 4chan but I'm curious
>>
he used to go to the park near where I lived in California.
It was right outside Santa Clarita/ Valencia. he's a manlet.
>>
>>2040763
>Unlike >>2040735 which hard to prove true or untrue.
it's actually pretty easy to prove untrue since it's a satirical pasta that anyone who's been here more than a day has already seen.
>>
Wasn't he here in murrica illegally at the beginning of his career?
>>
>>2040735
Is that a Mignogna copypasta? Sounds familiar.
>>
>>2040776
yes.
>>
>>2037956
Anybody that knows dogs will tell you that Milan is bang on the money 99.9% of the time. It is far from counter intuitive.
>>
>>2039644
No, what I'm saying is you can't apply outdated/discredited theories on wild animal behavior to effectively training a domesticated animal. shit don't work that way.
>>
>>2040776
if by career you mean his driving miss jay-lo days. Yes.
>>
File: untitled.png (355 KB, 485x600) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
355 KB, 485x600
He's good at rehabilitating dogs.
>>
>>2038121
This.

He understands that a persistent dog needs harsher correction. Just like in a pack situation: if the lower ranking member consistently does something the alpha disapproves of, it will get harsher corrections.

The show isn't about training dogs. It's about teaching people that dogs are DOGS. Not people. They don't reason, they react and depend on YOU to either correct or reward the behavior. It's when people let their dogs do whatever they want that the dog thinks he is alpha (since no one else is taking control and setting boundaries and limitations) that problems arise. I.e. Attacking other dogs, leash pulling, obsession over bicycles. If you can't play the alpha role and clearly let your dog know what you want, you are only hurting the dog.

Dogs want a leader. They are domesticated. They stress and develop issues when left to their own devices and this is what Cesar teaches.

Yes, I love Cesar and his views. I've read one of his books, and watch his shows when I can. I would LOVE to meet this man.
>>
>>2038123
Your in law obviously has no idea what Cesar is trying to teach. Please read about/watch a few episodes of Cesar before judging his way with dogs.

PS never bite a dog in the face. Period.
>>
>>2038204
No. He doesn't punch or kick dogs. He strikes with is fingers open (to resemble an alphas nip) or a LIGHT tap with the foot. People forget about the "energy" part and start abusing their dogs in the name of Cesar
>>
>>2039611
According to one of his books, he began learning about pack behavior by watching a wild pack of dogs on his grandfathers farm in Mexico. That's what got him started.

Then he gets to America where only a few people actually understand that dogs need exercise or a job to not be an annoying, destructive shit.
>>
>>2041911
Nice bait, mate.
>>
>>2039910
>he kicks and shocks dogs

>implying this is wrong.
>>
>>2041928
No bait. Why do you think this is bait?
>>
>>2041912
He's an idiot and a bad trainer regardless. He uses outdated methods that he apparently picked up from watching a bunch of rabid dogs attack eachother.
>>
>>2038286
>yfw the behaviors between Wolves that don't know eachother is very similar to Dogs that don't know eachother.
>yfw that study was basically lets throw Wolves in a Dog Park.
>>
>>2042128
"He" as in your in-law or "he" as in Cesar?
>>
>>2037942
Who the fuck thinks about Cesar Millan?
>>
>>2037942
He's ok. He's kind of on an extreme, but it's definitely good to roughly understand where he's coming from when you get a dog. It's easy to fuck up and over-spoil your dog and inadvertently create shitty behavior.
>>
most people that disagree with ceasar make the mistake that they only judge b the show. but the show features problem dogs, and they need to be taught to behave differently. I've read a ook of his about raising a dog, and there he uses methods that aren't as harsh as his "problemsolving". problem dogs come from being raised wrong, so if you raise a dog according to his way, you never need to resort to "kicking and hitting"
>>
>>2042758
Both, actually.
>>
>>2039836
>Animals do have pecking orders. Being at the top of this as a human will not affect anything.

This is just absolutely not true. Bottom line is a dog will behave better for someone they respect. The problem is people trying to define that behavior. Is it just plain old respect? Alpha dog stuff? Leader of the pack? Domination? Assertiveness?

I don't know. I don't care. All I know is that I show my dogs love and respect, but they have no choice or say in anything. That simple mindset works awesome at keeping them in line without getting too militant. (They eat when I give them food, sleep where I allow them, get affection/play on my schedule, and don't beg for anything. The only punishment I ever use is sternly towering over them until they show submission. Etc)

We are told to do those things in every training method. It is dominance. It's leader-of-the-pack establishment. It's alpha. It's all those things. And all professional dog trainers do the same, both humane and cruel.

Who cares what the label is? It works.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.