[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to ID a spider I found in my curtains. Dumbass
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: grass spider copy.preview.jpg (43 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
grass spider copy.preview.jpg
43 KB, 500x498
I'm trying to ID a spider I found in my curtains. Dumbass me, I tossed him outside before I thought to get a picture.
Markings are somewhat like this, but the abdomen is too skinny and unmarked to be my spider. The abdomen markings I saw were like a hobo spider, but I know it can't be one of those because I got bit five times down my leg from sleeping with one just like it, and there was only minor swelling and pain. Bunch of searching for common house spiders in Washington and California got me nothing else similar.

Also spider general I guess.
>>
>>2037092
>I know it can't be one of those because I got bit five times down my leg from sleeping with one just like it, and there was only minor swelling and pain.
thanks, that made my night.
funny shit.

>the front looked like a hobo spider
>the back looked like a hobo spider too
>but it can't be a hobo spider because I found a spider that looked like it in my bed once and my leg didn't fall off or anything.
brilliant deduction, Sherlock.
>>
>>2037098
Yeh, har har. I forgot to mention that the abdomen wasn't as thick as a hobo spider's, just that the markings were similar but simplified.

The two I found were the same kind, I can confirm. I also kept a female of the same type for a while and the egg sac was not like a hobo spider's.
>>
>>2037103
none of those things is diagnostic though.
You can't ID a spider by markings or abdomen thickness, and you sure as hell can't ID it based on your reaction to bites that may or may not even be bites caused by a spider that looked similar to your completely uneducated eye.

that said, google wolf spiders and grass spiders and see if any look like your mystery insect.
>>
>>2037116
Looks like it may be a grass spider after all. (But I'll still say I'm sure that that spider did bite me, considering I found him under my leg which had a bunch of red welts that weren't there the night before.)

But now that I know I am a dumbass (no sarcasm) how is a spider identified if not by markings/abdomen/etc? Eye pattern?
>>
>>2037122
usually by microscopic bits.

the best you and I are going to do without a microscope and a lot of information is going to be a combination of things like markings, eye pattern, shape of the pedipalps, coloration of the legs, type of fur, web type, etc.
>>
>>2037129
Huh. Ok, thanks.
I learned something today.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.