[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm not a frequent /an/ poster but I would like your advice.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: snowball.png (1 MB, 717x654) Image search: [Google]
snowball.png
1 MB, 717x654
I'm not a frequent /an/ poster but I would like your advice. I noticed you had a general thread for everything but cats, otherwise I would've used that thread instead.

There's this cat that has lived outside my house for years. I'm nearly certain that she's a stray and not feral, because she was fixed, she meows/purrs/ect at me, lets me touch her (even her stomach) is social to other family members, her tail has been docked, and she even follows me every night when I walk my dogs. She'll even scratch at the door if I'm taking too long.

It took her a year to warm up to us, but I love this cat. I would've tried to bring her inside years ago but my stepmother is allergic to cats.

The problem is: We're moving. I'm moving into my own house, and they're moving away. I don't want to abandon her. Does anybody have good advice or a guide to introducing a cat like this to a house?

pic related: the cat
>>
>>2037086
There is a show called "my cat from hell" not sure if it still airs, but it's basically cat psychology in a nutshell. Try watching that show, see if there are any episodes online, like youtube, if it's not on animal planet anymore.

Basically, do everything that he tells the shitty owners to do.

The number one thing you will be facing is that your cat will need to exercise, a LOT. This can easily be achieved by simply tying some bright cloth/ribbon to a string, and then wiggling it around near your cat until she chases it.

After a while your cat will be panting, breathing hard, let her cool down until she gets her "second wind" then get her running and chasing the string again. Repeat this until she doesn't want to play anymore.

This should only take 15/20 minutes a day. Seeing as how cats are nocturnal, the best time to do this is either very early morning, (before your breakfast, for instance) or very late at night (before you tuck yourself into bed).

Other than that, the only thing you should know is that it's always best to have two or more litterboxes per each individual cat in the house.

And that if the cat isn't using the litterbox it's either A: you're a lazy fuck who doesn't clean it properly (would YOU like to park your behind on a toilet overflowing with shit and piss? Especially if your nose is as sensitive as a cat's?) or B: most likely a Urinary Tract Infection.

But seeing as how you obviously care about this cat you'll most likely do just fine. The only thing you should really be worried about are any fleas/parasites your cat may have picked up while being outside.
>>
>>2037094
Thank you for recommending that show. I haven't watched Animal Planet since it turned into the "reality TV shows that are barely about animals" channel.

I just hope she isn't too mad when I have to put her in a crate.
>>
>>2037108
Try wearing a shirt for a couple days straight, until it's basically saturated with your scent. Then when she is in the crate give her that shirt to cuddle up with.
>>
>>2037111
You know, that's a really good idea! Thanks!
>>
>>2037114
You're welcome OP, best of luck!
>>
Look up an ASPCAs guideon introducing cats to new homes.

Basically want to leave her in a specific room with some type of furniture that she can hide under until she feels comfortable enough to explore out. Leave wet food, dry food, and fresh water near her hiding spot, and a litter box nearby too.

Make sure that room stays calm and quiet until she feels like going out of it. Also, if she is really used to living outside, you might have to use regular dirt to start in the litterbox and mix in some normal litter over time till its replaced. Some outside cats don't like the smell of litter, or just aren't used to it at first.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.