[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is my dog so shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
>Is a first-time dog owner living in apartmeny
>Dog pees on the floor like once every two days even though I potty-trained him anf he knows that he should pee on wee wee pads
>Dog barks, growls, and bites whenever I approach his bed/toys/him when he is sleeping/try to clean him with a towl/clean his eyes/cut his nails
>Dog will only lie down when I am holding a treat. Dog bit me when I used my hand to push him to roll over when he was lying down once (I was training him to roll over but he would sit when I mive the treat over his shoulder)
>Dog likes other family members more. He will growl, bark, and try to bite me when another family member is holding the dog and I approach
>Dog barks like crazy when he hears people outside of our flat/when visitors come into our apartment
>Dogs growls and snaps at strangers who try to pet him
What should I do with my dog? I thought dogs were man's best friend.
>>
>>2035858
This better be bait.
Look up training videos and you'll find out why, because you clearly are doing all of your shit wrong.
Also you don't push a dog to teach them to roll over.

How old is he? Why are you using wee pads and not walking him like a normal owner. I'm not surprised he seems to dislike you if you're not exercising him
>>
>>2035862
It is not bait.
He is three.
My mom won't let me take him out for a walk as she is worried that his paws will get dirty.
>>
>>2035866
Weren't you here not too long ago saying that your mom would only let you take the dog outside in a baby carriage because of that reason?
>>
>>2035867
Yeah. Managed to persuade her ti get the vaccine shots. Do we need a flea collar for dogs?
Also, how to stop dog aggrression? I tell my dog "no" but it seems ti be ineffective.
>>
File: sneaky dog.jpg (107 KB, 538x720) Image search: [Google]
sneaky dog.jpg
107 KB, 538x720
>>2035858

>>Dog pees on the floor like once every two days even though I potty-trained him anf he knows that he should pee on wee wee pads
That's because in his eyes, he owns the house. It's his house, and your his subordinate, so he doesn't have to do what you want.
Probably.

>Dog barks, growls, and bites whenever I approach his bed/toys/him when he is sleeping/try to clean him with a towl/clean his eyes/cut his nails
That's because you've annoyed him, or he doesn't like what he knows what you're going to do. He doesn't respect you enough to listen to you.

>and try to bite me when another family member is holding the dog and I approach
That's because in his eyes, he owns that person. He gets to decide if you can play with the person.

>Dog growls and snaps at strangers who try to pet him
In his eyes, he's the pack leader. Therefore, he has a responsibility to keep the pack safe, you are his pack.

>pees on floor
You need to assert that you are his leader.
You need to let him know that you don't want him to do that, by punishing him when he pees on the floor.
Dogs are just stupid, so you have to let them know right away when they do something bad.
When you see him pee on the floor, tell him bad in a stern voice, and pin him down until he submits calmly to you.

>growls when you approach his toys and bed
You need to let him know that he doesn't have the right to have this behavior.
You need to own the bed, and you need to own the toys.
To own the things, you need to assert that you're his leader.
You need to tell him he's a bad dog in a stern voice when he growls at you, and if he keeps doing it, pin him down until he submits to you and calms down. If he fakes calming down, pin him down again and wait.

>family member thing
Family needs to assert their dominance over dog, or you need to assert that he can't get away with that disrespectful bullshit towards you.

>growls and snaps at strangers
You need to assert that you're leading well, and that he isn't.
>>
>>2035870
Probably.
>>
>>2035870
Hoe can I become the pack leader? I don't get how we ended up as subordinates. I don't let my dogs jump on bed, pet him when he whines etc like those dog books said.
He will probably bite me if I try to pin him down. Back when he was a puppy, I forced him to eat medicine. I became his least favorite family member afterwards.
>>
>>2035876
>Hoe can I become the pack leader?

By watching Cesar Millan, that's how.

youtube.com/watch?v=JED4Saq_ZpM&list=PLdN3gbvLGO69ux2taRPiVADgwfTrPor2C
>>
>>2035878
I don't want my dog to bite my fingers.
>>
File: Amazon_Kevlar_Gloves.jpg (341 KB, 1489x913) Image search: [Google]
Amazon_Kevlar_Gloves.jpg
341 KB, 1489x913
>>2035886
With a free trial of Amazon Prime, you can get FREE two-day shipping.
>>
I remember you, OP. I'm glad you got your dog vaccinated at least.

I agree with what >>2035862 said.

As for your problems, research resource guarding and look up training videos. He feels insecure and this is causing him to react defensively around these things (food, toys, etc.) You need to teach him that you being near him and his toys/bed/food/etc. is a good thing and not a threat to him. Fixing this issue and building up his trust may be a slow process and you need to start gradually.

Him only listening when you're holding a treat can be fixed by implementing variable reward reinforcement, and if you're not using a marker (such as a clicker or word like "yes!") to mark the behavior and bridge this to the primary reinforcer, start doing that. This way he will understand that just because you're not currently holding/offering a treat in your hand doesn't mean he won't get a reward.

As for "roll over," be more patient when trying to shape this behavior. Pushing him to roll over made him stressed and uncomfortable and that's why he bit you.

And of course your dog is reactive to strangers--your mom not letting him outside like a normal dog has crippled his socialization. This is also a problem that needs gradual fixing using counter conditioning. Patience and time.

Additional tips for you: read up on dog body language so you can tell when he is uncomfortable and stressed before he has to resort to biting. Do not punish growling or other signs of stress/warning signals because he will learn to avoid them in the future and thus go straight to biting without the warning.

You need to convince your mom to allow him outside. If she's concerned about dirty paws she's an anal retentive idiot, but if you really need to compromise they sell paw wipes for cleaning up dogs' paws. Just clean his feet before he comes in the house. Problem solved.

>>2035870
This is also very bad advice, OP. Please don't pay any attention to this anon.

Good luck.
>>
>>2035916
I don't know who I should listen to. So confused.
>>
>>2035919
Probably the one that isn't flat-out trolling you.

Please research some of the concepts I mentioned in my post: >>2035916

You will find fundamental training concepts and learn more about dog behavior, and in reading about it and watching videos you will see positive results.

Doing what the other anon suggested will result in your dog becoming MORE insecure and fearful, which is not a healthy state for the dog to be in and can also result in increased aggression and other behavioral problems.
>>
>>2035923
I've seen Cesar Milan videos and he says the same shit about dominance though.
>>
>>2035929

>>2035923 is just a troll that isn't shit at trolling.
>>2035923 is trolling you.
>>
>>2035878

abusive hack

>>2035866

your mom sounds a bit psycho.. you can wash his paws when you come home or put booties on him.. dogs need walks or else they get bored and wrangy
>>
>>2035858
your dog pees on the floor because you trained him to use pads instead of never peeing inside the house

pad training doesn't work
>>
Didn't bother to read the rest of the post but, why are you making a dog piss on "wee wee pads"? A dog is not a cat. It should urinate and defacate outside. The worst part is knowing that you probably hit the dog for peeing where it's "not supposed to".

Why the fuck did you even get a dog? Get a cat if you want something more suited for apartment life.
>>
oh god I just read more of the thread, and you're that guy with the dog who's mom is afraid of getting his paws dirty.

ITS A DOG! A CREATURE OF NATURE! It doesn't belong inside so much. P.S what does your mom think when you don't wear socks and your feet get dirty?

Same thing.
>>
>>2035858
Get rid of it most dogs stupid as shit anyway.
>>
File: Boop.gif (1 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Boop.gif
1 MB, 300x225
I'm curious. What the hell did your Mom expect when she decided to get a dog? Like seriously? How old is your Mom and has she had pets before?

If your Mom is this fucking insane about a dog, then I bet she's insane about other things in your life. I'd talk to a councilor when you have a chance to make sure YOU are being treated ok.

If your Mom has this insane of expectations on how a dog should be handled, you may need to have a long talk with her. If she won't listen to you, get someone that she respects to talk to her with you. Have an intervention of sorts.

Or convince her to let you rehome the dog because this is sad.
>>
>>2035929
Cesar Milan is full of shit. Why do you think he gets bit?

Think about "dominance" in a different way. You don't need your boss to yell at you and snatch your lunch away in order for you to know he's your boss. You just need to know he's the one who gives you your paycheck for working for him.

In fact, if your boss constantly verbally abused you and physically assaulted you every time you did some imagined slight against him, you'd probably snap and fight back at some point, or at the very least not feel motivated to do good work for the dude. You'd probably quit your job.

In short, you can be "dominant" without being a crazy aggressive shithead. Just be a good boss to your dog (using methods mentioned in >>2035916.) Don't be an asshole boss.

Look up kikopup on youtube. She's got some pretty damn good dog training videos that might be able to help you.

>>2036110
Good advice.
>>
>>2036160
>claims to know about Cesar Millan's methods
>continues to show that you know nothing about his methods
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>2035936

>abusive hack

This nigga never watched Cesar Milan and judges based on word of mouth.
>>
>>2036160
>Cesar Milan is full of shit. Why do you think he gets bit?

>unpredictable red-zone dog snaps in one episode
>suddenly the whole PETA world considers him abusive and reposts that ONE video every time there's an argument

Fucking lol.
>>
>>2036174
The dog wasn't unpredictable at all. She was very clearly showing TONS of stress signals and warning signs. And he was provoking her.

Also re: PETA, please don't lump me in with those tards.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-18-18-30-39.png (281 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-18-18-30-39.png
281 KB, 1280x720
Cesar Milan is the Bear Grylls of dog training.
>>
>>2035858
Is pic related your dog? If so, I'll take it.
>>
Cute pup OP I feel so bad for him. Please take the dog outside it's unnatural and abuse to keep him inside like that. It takes 5 minutes to soak his feet in a bucket of water and wipe off mud with a towel
>>
>>2035866
can't tell if you're retarded or just underage.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.